ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dontnod and Moon Studios are "first party"?

No, they're independent studios that made first party games for Xbox. Quote is accurate.

Don't need to be a first party studio to make a first party game. See Spider-man 2018 on PS4. Insomniac weren't a first party dev at the time. Or Mario & Rabbids Astral Chain. Or Demon's Souls etc.

Tell Me Why and Ori were first party games because they were published by Xbox Game Studios. They were made by independant studios.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS could easily be the default console when they acquire enough studios especially big ones like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square etc

I think they'll be in a very different place by the end of the gen, basically the industry leader,

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
MS could easily be the default console when they acquire enough studios especially big ones like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom, Squareetc

I think they'll be in a very different place by the end of the gen, basically the industry leader,
Yeah, it's quite obvious Microsoft has decided to go with the nuclear option to become the industry leader, which they no doubt will have become by the end of the decade.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone wants to be bought for the right price. Nintendo would sell if you offered a trillion dollars.
Not Nintendo lol.

I'm not talking about the right price. Tim Shafer talked about during the acquisition. It was getting harder funding projects on his own. It's also why they created that Crowdfunding platform as well.

It's not just about money. It's about surviving and making more games.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
MS could easily be the default console when they acquire enough studios especially big ones like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom, Squareetc

Well if that happens, rip PlayStation. Sony's first party studios won't be able to carry them like Nintendo can.

Sep 7, 2020
MS could easily be the default console when they acquire enough studios especially big ones like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square etc

I don't know about that. Sony and Nintendo aren't going anywhere and MS won't buy every publisher out there (which people will say they will). Sony is doing massive numbers and Nintendo is killing it. I still expect Sony to be the market leader by the end of the generation but MS is definitely focused on competing which is good.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Enough with this absurd argument. Games could be on GP even if MS didn't buy the studio. This is shallow PR nonsense to encourage you to cheerlead for corporate buyouts.
Acquisitions guarantee those studios getting their games on game pass.

Knowing that Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 will hit game pass is great. There's no precedent for all of a third party studios output being guaranteed to hit day one on game pass. In most cases we only find out about a day one game pass title a short period before release.

I legit don't give a shit about acquisitions for any other reason, I don't care if a game is exclusive or not.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
"We're going full Pac-Man up in here, everything is on the table". I don't like it. You can have games on GP day 1 without gobbling up everything that moves in acquisitions

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that. Sony and Nintendo aren't going anywhere and MS won't buy every publisher out there (which people will say they will). Sony is doing massive numbers and Nintendo is killing it. I still expect Sony to be the market leader by the end of the generation but MS is definitely focused on competing which is good.

The key thing people forget is that these developers/publishers have to want to sell. Some value staying small and nimble, some have strong identities(like some of the family run Japanese publishers) and some have their own machinations.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
All 3 companies are thriving and it's great news. All 3 doing it in different ways too. Bad news for people that put their favorite consoles on a pedestal though I guess.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Not everyone will be bought or want to be bought. The companies purchased not everyone will stay on board. New studios will be formed that will work with Sony/Nintendo. It's an ongoing cycle that's happened since gaming started.

Just buying content/companies doesn't guarantee success as seen across all industries.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020

The idea that MS will have a full strangle on the gaming industry like they do with Windows and Office, it's not my favourite thought

Sep 7, 2020
Not everyone will be bought or want to be bought. The companies purchased not everyone will stay on board. New studios will be formed that will work with Sony/Nintendo. It's an ongoing cycle that's happened since gaming started.

Just buying content/companies doesn't guarantee success as seen across all industries.
Absolutely this.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Game Pass continues to be an incredible service, corporate acquisitions continue to be incredibly lame.
agreed to an extent. If the acquisition is needed to continue to supply funding to talented developers and less restrictions on what they can create then I'm for it. In reality there is no "good guy" MS or Sony or Nintendo. We should all know that in the long running these companies are all about making money, but if the money they make is off of a product that makes the joy of gaming more accessible to more people then I'm in.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions guarantee those studios getting their games on game pass.

Knowing that Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 will hit game pass is great. There's no precedent of a third party studios output being guaranteed to hit day one on game pass. In most cases we only find out about a day one game pass title a short period before release.

I legit don't give a shit about acquisitions for any other reason, I don't care if a game is exclusive or not.
I don't really care about exclusives either since I have both PS and PC. But lots of people out there can't afford both and they are just hung out to dry as the Phil Spencer types tell them that corporate acquisitions are "great for gamers".

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Why do people want MS to buy Sega so badly lol Sega pops up in every acquisition thread.

The incredible arcade back catalogue and MD/Genesis - DC era titles might actually get revived and see a new stream of interest on Game Pass? Sony have no interest in legacy support so it'd be wasted there.

Imagine the likes of AM2 with actual funds and backing.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The catch is game pass doesn't work long term unless you create and own the bulk of content. It'll become too expensive to sign new deals as it grows and competitive services pop up.

Acquisitions are basically a requirement to keep game pass going strong.

May 19, 2020
I don't really care about exclusives either since I have both PS and PC. But lots of people out there can't afford both and they are just hung out to dry as the Phil Spencer types tell them that corporate acquisitions are "great for gamers".
you really think they care about affordability on a first world luxury product lol. they'll tell you to buy a series s

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
This gen is going to be a bloodbath and with ever rising dev costs, they shouldn't have too many problems looking for studios wanting to sell or have a little bit of security by having their game put on game pass.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I would not be surprised if they are north of 30 studios by sometime in 2023, probably combined with a target subscription base of 50 million. You can tell today they are "all in" on getting that predictable cash flow.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Totally ok with them going for studios like the ones they were going before the Bethesda acquisition.
Totally agaisnt they making other move like the Bethesda one.

This gen is going to be a bloodbath and with ever rising dev costs, they shouldn't have too many problems looking for studios wanting to sell or have a little bit of security by having their game put on game pass.

I honestly don´t get this idea of "security" by having a game on GP.
I mean ok they don´t "need" sales anymore but there will be tons of new metrics to evaluate success for their releases.
People that think "it´s ok if a game flop, no problem because it´s on GP" is outta of their mind.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
They won't buy everything but they will continue to get strategic acquisitions just like Sony said in a recent blog post themselves.
I don't think they need any more. Booty said they want to release 1 AAA per quarter. With 23 studios they could do that, easily. 4 games per year means each studio would have to release 1 AAA game just under every 6 years. So when is enough enough. If they keep buying, other players will start buying to keep up and I don't like where that road leads either

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about this argument is that game pass is definitely one of the best value offerings in gaming at the moment.

Gamers on a budget should also be applauding this because they should be using game pass.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
The idea that MS will have a full strangle on the gaming industry like they do with Windows and Office, it's not my favourite thought

It's not going to happen lol. Sony will be the market leader going forward unless they have another mistake the like PS3/X1 were for the respective companies. Not to mention Nintendo is still doing their own thing and always will.

Sep 7, 2020
I don't think they need any more. Booty said they want to release 1 AAA per quarter. With 23 studios they could do that, easily. 4 games per year over means each studio would have to release 1 AAA game every 6 years. So when is enough enough. If they keep buying, other players will start buying to keep up and I don't like where that road leads either
I think based on their blog posts today, they want to have a continual stream of content that is diverse and varying. Its inevitable that they will purchase more, likewise with Sony as they have stated this generation will have more exclusives than ever before. Content is king and both companies have stated rather pointedly that they will acquire and purchase studios. I expect Sony to do the same thing and the ball has already started going down hill at this point. There is no going back now.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, counting the publishing arm as a seperate studio and including the various Zenimax studios gives us a total of 23 active studios in Xbox Game Studios. And yet, here Matt Booty says they've got "two dozen" studios, which combined with Satya's "more than 23 studios" comment all but confirms an acquisition has already concluded.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Enough with this absurd argument. Games could be on GP even if MS didn't buy the studio. This is shallow PR nonsense to encourage you to cheerlead for corporate buyouts.
Games may still appear there, however, there is no guarantee that they show up day 1. Getting more developers in is a way of differentiating their offering and I do not get why it is such a controversial take when every publisher out there is acquiring talent.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's not going to happen lol. Sony will be the market leader going forward unless they have another mistake the like PS3/X1 were for the respective companies. Not to mention Nintendo is still doing their own thing and always will.
Sony definitely won't be the market leader in the future when Microsoft has double the amount of teams they have. If Microsoft doesn't sell more Xbox consoles by the end of the decade than Sony sells PlayStation consoles all while also having one hell of a dominant position in the subscription market I'll be shocked.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Just wishful thinking. I want Persona on xbox lol.
Persona will come to Xbox at some point I'm sure. Sega's been hinting about wanting Atlus' games to be multiplatform in the future. There's no reason for a whole market segment to be forced to stream the games from a whole ass former multiplatform publisher because they can't play them anymore on their consoles.
Maybe in the future when the internet infrastructure is ready for next gen streaming in most countries.

Oct 31, 2017
The Reset Cycle continues:

1. Exec says more studios will be acquired.
2. Reset argues about acquiring devs vs publishers.
3. Reset argues about Game Pass and if other games on GP will leave as streaming becomes more prevalent
4. Reset argues that's exactly why they have to buy a bunch of devs
5. Some are confused as to why they wouldn't need content even without a subscription service.
6. Months go by.
7. MS person says more studios will be acquired.
8. Reset argues about acquiring devs vs publishers.
9. Reset argues about Game Pass and if other games on GP will leave as streaming becomes more prevalent
10. Reset argues that's exactly why they have to buy a bunch of devs
11. Some are confused as to why they wouldn't need content even without a subscription service.
12. Few days go by.
13. Exec says more studios will be acquired.
14. ???
15. Heat Death of the Universe

Not even complaining about the thread, but I feel like a rumor or a MS exec says this every so often, so I feel we're pretty tuned into what their plans are. =P

We'll see, if more companies go all-in on streaming and games leave GP for others similar to Netflix, is everyone is as enthused. For now, I'm sure execs will continue to talk about their plans which are definitely not going to change on a whim.