• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since some people are talking about Atlus future games, i remember two ''leakers'' mentioning some things about SMTV and P5 rerelease back in the old country. I don't know if i should post what they said here though and frankly i don't remember if they were ever verified...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-purchased gal gun 2 foe the switch for the novelty of it, I'm actually curious how well it would do.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Since some people are talking about Atlus future games, i remember two ''leakers'' mentioning some things about SMTV and P5 rerelease back in the old country. I don't know if i should post what they said here though and frankly i don't remember if they were ever verified...

SMTV rerelease? It's strange for that to be rumored when the game is still a ways off from its original release lol.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Are you talking about Persona 5 for Rintendo Rwitch?

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about Persona 5 for Rintendo Rwitch?

Oh well, guess i am gonna write what they said. Just remember, take it with a HUGE grain of salt. It's not mine and what they said was never verified.

SMTV (this was posted some time after the reveal back in NSW reveal)
- Game started development as a PS4 title
- Later it became a PS4/NSW game
- Last he/she heard about it, Nintendo was trying to secure some kind of a deal...

P5 Crimson/Re-release/whatever (this was posted during the August concert where P3/P5 and PQ2 was announced)
- Coming out in 2019 or even later
- Early in development
- At that time (summer 2017) the game was being developed only for PS4. Could change in the future or could stay exclusive. His source only mentioned PS4.
- Hifumi will be a party member and join the phantom thieves

In general, nothing that can't be made up. Anyone could come up with these. The only thing that seemed odd at that time, was that P5 enchaced was going to be released in 2019 or later, which seemed quite far for a rerelease but now it seems totally possible.

Was it the one where the dude said it was planned as a PS4 game but Nintendo paid for timed exclusivity or something?

Yep

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why pay for a game like SMTV.
That's so weird to me. If they did, they should've just let it be multiplat day one imo.

paying for something like octopath seems much smarter, especially with the demo drop.

I think when you're looking at the situation you're presented with two questions:

"Why make SMTV a (timed) exclusive?" and "Why pay for (timed) exclusivity for SMTV?"

Seeing as you're dealing with Atlus and Nintendo, you're better off not thinking about it too much unless you want a headache.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that tidbit of info, I still don't believe it. If only because we've aready heard a lot about the design philosophy of the new game already.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's believable but it's weird that a sequel to a successful game on a Nintendo platform being exclusive to a Nintendo platform is seen as unusual or questionable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
aren't these series generally not multiplat with each entry?

but yeah from the outside I don't get it. Especially SMT unless it's paid for.
Technically they have never been multiplat, unless you count ports/remasters/remakes years later, and P5 that is crossgen.
edit: why are we back to questioning why a typically Nintendo exclusive franchise (SMT), that did its best numbers on a Nintendo platform (SMT4), and made by a company doing nearly only exclusives (Atlus) is still an exclusive?
That's just how Atlus works, for better and for worse. Nothing really surprising when you consider the franchise's history...

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Technically they have never been multiplat, unless you count ports/remasters/remakes years later, and P5 that is crossgen.
edit: why are we back to questioning why a typically Nintendo exclusive franchise (SMT), that did its best numbers on a Nintendo platform (SMT4), and made by a company doing nearly only exclusives (Atlus) is still an exclusive?
That's just how Atlus works, for better and for worse. Nothing really surprising when you consider the franchise's history...
that's true. history definitely matters, I just think the landscape is different.
3DS wasn't on the level of a PS3 or PS4, so multiplat wasn't really an option, and a 3DS game would cost less and make more money.
But with the switch and ps4 being pretty much the same (as it relates to AA) games, the current landscape lends itself well to multiplats for this type of game.

things change as things change. shrug.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
SMTV was barely a thing when it was announced last year, and now they're still "figuring things out". I really doubt it started development on PS4. It might have been considered for it, because in 2015-2016, why wouldn't it be? But that's a jump to assume it was already a real game then.

Persona 5 rerelease being a PS4 exclusive is the most Atlus thing to do though, that I believe 100%.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Curious, do you guys think the Vita is dead in Japan finally? It's numbers for this year seem pretty dire.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Curious, do you guys think the Vita is dead in Japan finally? It's numbers for this year seem pretty dire.

Hardware will limp it's way above 6M but below 6.5M
Publishers which had IP selling decent amount of copies on Vita can't/don't want to bet on the West to save them and weren't ready for Switch will still release a couple of games (see Bamco and Atlus)

I don't expect any game selling above 100k on Vita after this year but 2019 will still have the usual otome games still being released on it (although multiplat with PS4 and/or Switch)

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware will limp it's way above 6M but below 6.5M
Publishers which had IP selling decent amount of copies on Vita can't/don't want to bet on the West to save them and weren't ready for Switch will still release a couple of games (see Bamco and Atlus)

I don't expect any game selling above 100k on Vita after this year but 2019 will still have the usual otome games still being released on it (although multiplat with PS4 and/or Switch)
With it being discontinued in the west, I don't see a new revision nor official price drop so they'll likely not be a big spike in sales.
Not sure if this is the baseline forever, but if we assume that, on average, the Vita will sell 3k a week it'll take a year to get to 6M. I'm not sure it has a year left in it at this state.
But even if it does reach 6m, I wouldn't call that being alive.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yep it's bizarre. A game that was never released for a Nintendo console nor was, in any way, associated with one now is a sign that support for a currently popular system is dwindling.

Companies will release stuff for a system they believe they have a audience for. Not every game has to come out for the Switch.
I don't think God Eater 3 is a good example of that

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Heading off to buy a Switch with Hyrule Warriors DX.

Tsutaya better book it.

RVo3lXH.gif

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think God Eater 3 is a good example of that
Never said that I don't think it fits the Switch, but BN is not releasing it there for a reason, maybe they think the series is too ingrained in the PS ecosystem that they don't want to bother taking the risk. Wrong? Sure but hey. With that said I also don't think that the lack of this release is a indication that they don't believe in the system necessarily.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Looks like Nintendo saw how popular the first two seasons of their Yoiko x Minecraft webshow was (pretty sure every episode has +1m views), so they're having a "new" series where they play various games instead of just Minecraft. First two episodes will be for DKC Tropical Freeze.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Nintendo saw how popular the first two seasons of their Yoiko x Minecraft webshow was (pretty sure every episode has +1m views), so they're having a "new" series where they play various games instead of just Minecraft. First two episodes will be for DKC Tropical Freeze.

Watch views fall off a cliff because people came for Minecraft

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
With it being discontinued in the west, I don't see a new revision nor official price drop so they'll likely not be a big spike in sales.
Not sure if this is the baseline forever, but if we assume that, on average, the Vita will sell 3k a week it'll take a year to get to 6M. I'm not sure it has a year left in it at this state.
But even if it does reach 6m, I wouldn't call that being alive.

Hardware sales are not linear, just look at previous weeks numbets, it doesn't change anything for the market but Vita will easily clear 6M this year.
Considering there are no successors for it, it might still sell a couple hundreds thousands in 2019 as well.

Seems like the new Utawarerumono is coming to PS4.

?
Remake of the first is coming soon btw, I wonder if the PS4 SKU will manage to beat the PSV one this time, considering the game there aren't many incentives to switch from Vita if a player played 2 and 3 on it.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Arino completed first 2 Donkey Kong Country on Game Center CX, he should be fine. I have afraid for Hamaguchi.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

That sounds like some kind of spinoff to try a new genre as was teased, considering it's an action game ditching Vita makes sense.
With the cast of characters given narrative will probably not be the focus or it will be some anecdotal side story which, considering the original games, is a big departure from the IP's main appeal.

Well we'll see, the way it sold after being dormant for nearly a decade was really a very good thing for Aquaplus so I'm curious how that one will go as well.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Fate/extella: The Umbral Star
Valkyria: Azure Revolution
and now Utawarerumono Zan

All heavily inspired by Musou.

Meanwhile, the popularity of Koei Tecmo's Musou games is decreasing...

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually talking about this being the mobile game with F2P elements, and why Capcom made Capcom Vancouver make this game (I mean a western studio on a F2P mobage?)

But yeah, that too I guess, I have written them off some time back so I expect them to do nothing for NSW already, so this ain't no shocker..

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Am I really gonna have to trot out The List again for a Capcom Vancouver mobile port that no one wants?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually talking about this being the mobile game with F2P elements, and why Capcom made Capcom Vancouver make this game (I mean a western studio on a F2P mobage?)

But yeah, that too I guess, I have written them off some time back so I expect them to do nothing for NSW already, so this ain't no shocker..
I'm not sure if their intent was ever making this for consoles tho. They needed some mobile hits. Don't you think this is getting a port because of the way it flopped in mobile? Game had a ton of backlash and ranked very poorly from the start.

Some of those are actually selling better lol.

Umbral Star outsold DW9.
Yeah, but that's Fate (one of the biggest IP in Japan) vs a game that the Musou fanbase disliked. Still a good result of course, but I don't think the Musou genre is thriving.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Am I really gonna have to trot out The List again for a Capcom Vancouver mobile port that no one wants?

No, but I'm still gonna use your post as an excuse to post this silly meme about Capcom's Switch support:

101975558mu2v.jpg

I'm not sure if their intent was ever making this for consoles tho. They needed some mobile hits. Don't you think this is getting a port because of the way it flopped in mobile? Game had a ton of backlash and ranked very poorly from the start.

Was Puzzle Fighter even released in Japan? Haven't really followed that game much, all I really know is that they totally botched Phoenix Wright's model, and that they've been putting a lot of focus on Viewtiful Joe lately, for some reason.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter whether the game is good or not. It just proves once again that the Switch isn't part of their default platforms to port things on for even the quickest money grab. Not that we needed more evidence anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.