• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The PC version being delayed isn't going to harm sales on that platform in a significant amount at all if the port is good.

In fact, Capcom not releasing a shity PC port day of is the smartest decision they could have made.

And the effect of the marketing deal ignoring Xbox is being hilariously overblown.

PC port being almost 1 year late means they can't charge full price for it.
That will affect the sales and bottom line.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
MHW will probably have really good legs honestly. With its DLC model it shouldn't be a big issue reatining interest. Still a Capcom game though so its going to crater in price like 3 months after launch.

Dark Souls also isn't the end all be all. MHW can surpass the best selling Souls game. It already will have over a million advantage in Japan.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
*Wakes up and reads the 6 pages that sprouted overnight*

It's gonna be a long 2 weeks in this thread isn't it?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think a price comparison between 3DS and PS4 games is necessary. The games are priced in relation to platform norms. I don't think someone interested in DQ11 on PS4 would buy the 3DS version because its cheaper.

Console and Handheld game prices aren't some mystery. 4 years into the PS4s life and like 6 years into the 3DSs I dont think buying base cares.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I mean focusing on revenue with single title like MH: W is not maybe that enlightening but as a whole you could say that revenue based reporting would tell better story of the performance of games. There is a reason why NPD moved from unit based reporting to revenue based reporting. This is of course very extreme example but Angry Birds selling 300 million units with price tag of one dollar doesn't make it more successful than GTA V that has sold 80 million units with average selling price somewhere between $40-60.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I don't think a price comparison between 3DS and PS4 games is necessary. The games are priced in relation to platform norms. I don't think someone interested in DQ11 on PS4 would buy the 3DS version because its cheaper.

Console and Handheld game prices aren't some mystery.
It definitely matters to parents, and Dragon Quest sells a lot to kids.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Yeah, i'm going back to spectator mode in these threads, next week, everyone is going to spin the numbers to their likes after all, excluding Chris and the other more informed users of course.
I hate when people do this.

I hope we can take MHW sales for what they trully are, for better or for worse. No spins please.

For future reference:

I think a new gen should sell 4 million copies in Japan, but it's not realistic to expect MHW to do that, as it's a console release. So, with lowered expectations, I think 2 million LTD would be good for what it is, and above what was expected. Short of 2 million is expected, and close to or below 1.5 million would be a failure.

As for worldwide:

Let's bet on 1.8 million LTD for MHW in Japan, at max. So to MATCH past 3DS games, MHW would have to sell about 2.4 million in the west. For context, MH4U and MHX sold about 1 million copies each in the west.

Of course, the goal with MHW is not to match the performance of past games, but SURPASS them. MHW costs more, there's a lot more marketing muscle behind it (especially in the west), it's on multiple platforms, etc. They want the franchise to grow, they want new fans, they want more sales.

So to have some sort of substantial growth, this is what Capcom should realistically be looking for:

Japan: 1.8 million
West: 3.4 million
Total: 5.2 million (1 million more than 3DS games)

Good luck giri giri.

OQI9Gc9.png

These are my final thoughts and predictions.

Let the bans games begin.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It definitely matters to parents, and Dragon Quest sells a lot to kids.

Eh, DQ has been on consoles at full console price too. If you wanted the game on PS4 you wouldn't be discoursged by the price. If you were legitimately choosing between the PS4 and the 3DS versions price wouldn't be the swaying factor. The PS4s userbase is quite a bit older than the 3DS on average.

3DS has like 4x the install base as PS4. It will have more kids in its ecosystem than PS4 has entire systems sold.

I dont see price being a factor here. Its not some wow moment that PS4 games cost more than 3DS games

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying that there are not much foundations for your argument. For example, you keep saying 2m FW would imply so much legs so that game can sell 5m in the end (best-selling in the franchise). But at least 55-60% of those 2m will be from Japan where we know legs will be shorter because of limited installed base. DQXI had <1.5 multiplier and is a comparable game in terms of units.

But I'm not ignoring that the JP version will have smaller legs.

You however seem to be ignoring that I'm talking about 2m in 3 days world wide. Yes, even if it'll top out at 2m in Japan, it'll be in the running for best selling in the series with typical legs elsewhere.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But I'm not ignoring that the JP version will have smaller legs.

You however seem to be ignoring that I'm talking about 2m in 3 days world wide. Yes, even if it'll top out at 2m in Japan, it'll be in the running for best selling in the series with typical legs elsewhere.

I think his major problem with your argument is that you haven't really made a compelling case that "typical legs" is a thing that exists. Legs are extremely different for all sorts of games depending on all sorts of factors even on the same platform.

If you have data which shows certain expected trends from opening sales to legs then please share it.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, a Switch MH game will automatically be a lesser version than World. Sure it'll maybe have more content, maybe some gameplay improvement... But it'll look worse, run worse, won't have the great animations that people are now expecting from a MH game. And the world might be smaller and less open.

Basically, MHW raised the bar for what a MH game should be, and a Switch version will never be able to match it on the surface (might be better on other, less marketable fronts, but that's a big "maybe"). Capcom will not be able to get away with what they did with the 3DS games now. Even in Japan, the promise of a portable MH will clash with the simple fact that it just doesn't look as good as the previous one.

This is a weird situation and I don't expect Capcom to have a perfect solution for it. Best case scenario for them, MHW is so succesfull that a portable MH simply isn't needed anymore.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I think his major problem with your argument is that you haven't really made a compelling case that "typical legs" is a thing that exists. Legs are extremely different for all sorts of games depending on all sorts of factors even on the same platform.

If you have data which shows certain expected trends from opening sales to legs then please share it.

No, his counter argument rests on using JRPGs, which typically are far more front loaded in the west, to counter my speculation.

His argument would have merit if I didn't outline that my post was speculation based on a variety of factors, that probably won't even happen (2m in 3 days WW).

However, to answer you question, typical legs is a thing that exists. Look at the UK, the higher the opening, the larger the second week drop. That just makes intuitive sense. And a lot of titles tend to drop in their second week by about 60-70%.

But you can ignore all of that and susbtitute out the wording to look at what I'm actually saying. If MHW opens at 2 million in 3 days, and has a drop, which may or may not be typical, but let's say is about 60-70% in UK and similar percentages in other markets, then... it'll be on track to be one of the best selling in the series, if not the best post PC.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What is standard AAA legs even mean? Is it CoD? Is it NBA? Is it Battlefield? Is it Horizon? Is it FF15? Is it Assassin's Creed?

Like what does that even imply? I'm not even doubting MHW will be the best selling in the series. It will for sure. But standard AAA legs doesn't inform me of anything. That statement has nothing tangible to it.

If its meant to be a simple analogy then the way to make it is explain it to someone with no concept of sales. Does that mean double first month? Top 20 in revenue for 6 months?

What qualifies that statement?

Oct 25, 2017
What is standard AAA legs even mean? Is it CoD? Is it NBA? Is it Battlefield? Is it Horizon? Is it FF15? Is it Assassin's Creed?

Like what does that even imply? I'm not even doubting MHW will be the best selling in the series. It will for sure. But standard AAA legs doesn't inform me of anything. That statement has nothing tangible to it.

If its meant to be a simple analogy then the way to make it is explain it to someone with no concept of sales. Does that mean double first month? Top 20 in revenue for 6 months?

What qualifies that statement?
I'm going to link this post every time someone says a standard drop happened in the UK pal charts thread. We really need to stop using this terminology in those threads.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
What if I wrote the same thing about DQ a year ago?

Welllll..I mean the 3DS game still sold more than the PS4 version first of all.

Second, DQ is not a local multiplayer portable franchise.

Third, and I know i'm trying to stay out of these discussions, but if you're trying to make an argument why it doesn't make business sense for Capcom to develop a Switch Monster Hunter game you are really really over thinking things.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
you'd be wrong because the 3DS sold better than the PS4 version?
That wasn't my point though. Just that a Switch version of MH will never be as big as the 3DS because there's a prettier version out there that'll suck some energy out of it. Which is what happened to the DQ, where the PS4 version got really close despite not being portable and with a much lower install base.

I get disagreeing with my point, but I could do without the drive by post trying to ridicule it without any arguments.

Third, and I know i'm trying to stay out of these discussions, but if you're trying to make an argument why it doesn't make business sense for Capcom to develop a Switch Monster Hunter game you are really really over thinking things.
I said it put them in an awkward and difficult spot, not that they shouldn't do it...

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean focusing on revenue with single title like MH: W is not maybe that enlightening but as a whole you could say that revenue based reporting would tell better story of the performance of games. There is a reason why NPD moved from unit based reporting to revenue based reporting. This is of course very extreme example but Angry Birds selling 300 million units with price tag of one dollar doesn't make it more successful than GTA V that has sold 80 million units with average selling price somewhere between $40-60.

The reason they moved to revenue rather than units was to avoid scaring investors away from the market completely by looking at the sharp decline in absolute units over the last few years, not because they just woke up and figured out revenue is actually much more useful one day.
And what makes Angry Birds more successful than GTAV is Angry Birds 300 million sales on a development budget of less than $1 million, versus GTAVs 80 million sales on a development budget of more than $200 million.

"Revenue" is somewhat meaningless without knowing associated costs.
You can have a business outselling everyone else by undercutting everyone else, which would give you huge revenue and zero profit. You won't be in that business very long.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
. Which is what happened to the DQ, where the PS4 version got really close despite not being portable and with a much lower install base.

Monster Hunter is primarily a local multiplayer, portable franchise in Japan. Dragon Quest is not.

And while I absolutely concede that a hypothetical MH Switch won't look as good as World, it will still look far better than any portable Monster Hunter has looked before and won't exactly look like a 3DS game.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to link this post every time someone says a standard drop happened in the UK pal charts thread. We really need to stop using this terminology in those threads.

Well when someone says standard drop from week 1 -> week 2 I understand that they are referencing about 70% reduction. But that's established because we get that data every week so you could chart it. But beyond week 1 to week 2 I don't know how anyone could know what a standard drop looks like on most games in the UK.

Its super dependent on the game and genre and we dont get enough data to quantify it. Same with the US. Japan we have tons of data so its easy to say "JRPGs have shit legs generally." Its easy to say casual family focused games dont really matter in terms of week 1 sales. It's easy to say

Btw, I missed your post above mine. When I made this post. That was what I was looking for. But yeah, take NBA in the US for example. I have no idea what a standard AAA drop looks for that franchise because we have no idea how many units it burns through every month.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth keeping in mind that DQXI was released several months after Switch was on the market and regardless of whether it's materialised or not a Switch was officially announced. That would have had some effect on the sales of DQXI.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
And then I start in on the talk and make things worse. Bad schuelma bad.
I honestly believe we need that MHW abscess to be ripped so that we can have more rational and interesting discussions in MC threads. It will be a bad 2-3 weeks with the usual "the king has returned" drive-bys but ol will be fine.

The only bad thing ks that since we won't get numbers outside of Japan (except for shipped ones) speculation and selective reading will be rampant for a while

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The discussion on how we should quantify the performance of AAA titles is actually really interesting imo. I just think that Japan is the only market we get enough data to make more bold assumptions.

We don't even know how many units the top 10 games in the US moved in December, the biggest month of the year. It makes it hard to say anything.

With MS announcing all their titles on game pass day 1 it even further skews things. Not in Japan obviously but can you even comment on unit sales when you know a healthy portion of the userbase doesnt even buy games traditionally anymore?

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
That wasn't my point though. Just that a Switch version of MH will never be as big as the 3DS because there's a prettier version out there that'll suck some energy out of it. Which is what happened to the DQ, where the PS4 version got really close despite not being portable and with a much lower install base.

I get disagreeing with my point, but I could do without the drive by post trying to ridicule it without any arguments.

I said it put them in an awkward and difficult spot, not that they shouldn't do it...
I get your idea but the power and graphical gap between the ps4 and 3ds games are much different than between the switch and the ps4.Take DQXI for example,DQXI on 3ds looked like a totally different game than the ps4 version while the switch version will also be an UE4 powered DQXI game

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I don't think it's fracturing if two games on different platforms sell more than a game on a single platform.
I remain skeptical that MHW will attract any sizable number of players in the west, and I don't think it wlll make up for their lost Japanese audience. This is all a moneyhat play by Sony to bolster their sales and Capcom being desperate enough to go along. When the dust settles, I think this will all end up leaving Capcom and the MH franchise in a weaker position.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Whats the target for MHW to be considered profitable? 5M+ WW?

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that over time, DQ11 switch will do as well as the 3DS version especially if they have a limited edition version of the console.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that over time, DQ11 switch will do as well as the 3DS version especially if they have a limited edition version of the console.
In Japan? I don't see that happening unless they add some new content to sweeten the deal. Even then, it would take quite a climb to reach the 3DS total.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We don't know, as Capcom refused to give their expectations for it. They have only ever said that they expect growth overseas, hence why that has dominated the conversation even in these Japan focused threads.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how things go over time, but Sega managed to at least get some initial success with Shin Megami Tensai mobile (this is a daily chart):

smtmobileyksfh.png

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What if I wrote the same thing about DQ a year ago?
DQIX is the best-selling DQ despite DQVIII raising the production values bar to a level DQIX couldn't even dream of reaching. Isn't using Dragon Quest as an example actually contradicting your claim that a new Switch MH would be underwhelming due to it not looking as good as MHW?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For once I agree with you, Stealth. People need to hold their horses. Then again people have been very negative wrt Japanese Switch 3rd party support in general. The games will come.

I mean, this past holiday should have been example enough on how badly Japanese 3rd parties misread the situation. Hell the whole year in fact when you look at how lopsided the software sales are.

There's no spinning results of this magnitude as anything other than a gross miscalculation. And as this is a sales thread, I see no reason why pointing this out should be considered beyond the scope of discussion or in need of "holding our horses".

As I've noted, watching Splatoon grow into a franchise that will now eclipse the next mainline MH *and* most likely any thereafter (because, I do not believe the >2mil people who are not going to buy World are just going to sit around playing the long game, and that new kids are completely going to grow up with Splatoon rather than MH for >3 years) is a sight to behold. It shows just how well Splatoon has been handled in Japan while the market melts away around it.

Hell, the most recent Mario is now going to be a bigger title in Japan than the most recent mainline MH. Had you told me this a little under a year ago, I'd have probably laughed.

All of these things offer perspective. Now, obviously, most of this perspective is on Capcom since only Capcom decided to lose 2mil sales in their domestic market in pursuit of finding them elsewhere. But the general thread and original sentence that started all of this applies to a lot more than just Capcom.

Trying to brush all of this under the rug as "oh its only been a year" is simply excusing what has torpedoed this market for the past decade. But, oh, its just been a decade. They'll figure it out eventually, I guess.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DQIX is the best-selling DQ despite DQVIII raising the production values bar to a level DQIX couldn't even dream of reaching. Isn't using Dragon Quest as an example actually contradicting your claim that a new Switch MH would be underwhelming due to it not looking as good as MHW?

You also have the visually considerably underwhelming DQ11 beating the PS4 version by a long shot.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the Switch version of DQXI doing amazingly well after being so late.
Maybe if they include all "three" versions in one package it'll get a ton of double dips?

As for Mh, I don't think fans would be against returning to the segmented map and downgraded assets which would help the game run on Switch. Other than that, it's basically just MH as it's always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.