Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
6EhLowM.png

Q2 in Japan was very strong (Splatoon 2), I don't know if they can average 58k this year.

I also think that it is difficult to match or even surpass Q2 numbers in Japan. But there is a small chance if a well received Yokai Watch 4 releases in Q2.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that it is difficult to match or even surpass Q2 numbers in Japan. But there is a small chance if a well received Yokai Watch 4 releases in Q2.

YW4 is releasing in Q3 (FY) at the earliest, most probably in December.

I agree that I will not be easy to match last year's Q2 with Splatoon launch but we'll see .

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Good to hear if true. I'm going all in and say Switch will jump to 70k as a result of all this new games, not so new games, pre-orders and heavy promo all around. Could be very wrong of course, not an expert at all :P

70k seems high, but I'd be surprised if the Switch dips under 50k/week any more for the rest of the year.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I just remembered that Eurogamer '' confirmed '' Diablo III for Switch and I'm curious. How did that game work on PS3 / PS4?

I do not know why I imagine it working well in Japan

Cubo

May 14, 2018
70k...

It'll be good but I think we are being a bit optimistic here. I was thinking 60k max

Yes I know, 60k would be more realistic (if last week it could maintain 50k with no new games I think it will not be hard reaching 60k this week), but I am in the mood for a surprise and I feel that it has a lot of things in it's favour this week. I would not be dissapointed with 60k though.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
It's also coming out on PC. Also only PS4 and Switch will be getting a physical release.

Well, that was pretty obvious, only Europe (and Okami / Ace Attorney in NA too) gets the shaft when it comes to physical releases with Capcom :P

Looks like retail copies comes with the ALL ABOUT Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Reprint Edition book (originally came with Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition on PS2). Pretty neat bonus!

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Yes I know, 60k would be more realistic (if last week it could maintain 50k with no new games I think it will not be hard reaching 60k this week), but I am in the mood for a surprise and I feel that it has a lot of things in it's favour this week. I would not be dissapointed with 60k though.
60k and even 70k are certainly possibilities, don't get me wrong. But based on past examples, I don't really think we will see that big of a bump.

Mario Tennis week was around 48k with a game that sold 120k FW. Then, when Kirby Star Allies launched with 222k, HW was 54k. Now if we are being optimistic, we could see 100k Octopath Traveller and 45k Captain Toad - around 145k new software sales. It being two games may add a bit of an edge in drawing two separate audiences in, and all the preorder hype on the 13th may increase sales, but I don't think it's likely to do that much more than 55k realistically.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
60k and even 70k are certainly possibilities, don't get me wrong. But based on past examples, I don't really think we will see that big of a bump.

Mario Tennis week was around 48k with a game that sold 120k FW. Then, when Kirby Star Allies launched with 222k, HW was 54k. Now if we are being optimistic, we could see 100k Octopath Traveller and 45k Captain Toad - around 145k new software sales. It being two games may add a bit of an edge in drawing two separate audiences in, and all the preorder hype on the 13th may increase sales, but I don't think it's likely to do that much more than 55k realistically.

Sure, if we are looking at past numbers and considering the games that launched during those weeks your prediction makes much more sense. But I feel Nintendo has been building up these July 13th date for quite some time now, and just released their summer commercial, big in-store promotions, and so on, so that's why I see the possibility of this week being bigger than any other even if the games launching aren't that big. I'll stick to my optimistic 70k prediction, we'll see what happens next Wednesday!

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath Traveler is sold out in Yodobashi Camera Akihabara, Shinjuku, Kinshicho, Kawasaki, Yokohama and Umeda-Osaka.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear if true. I'm going all in and say Switch will jump to 70k as a result of all this new games, not so new games, pre-orders and heavy promo all around. Could be very wrong of course, not an expert at all :P
Did y'all not learn your lesson from the Mario Tennis Aces, Minecraft, and Ys VIIi week?

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Sure, if we are looking at past numbers and considering the games that launched during those weeks your prediction makes much more sense. But I feel Nintendo has been building up these July 13th date for quite some time now, and just released their summer commercial, big in-store promotions, and so on, so that's why I see the possibility of this week being bigger than any other even if the games launching aren't that big. I'll stick to my optimistic 70k prediction, we'll see what happens next Wednesday!
fair enough, I applaud you for actually backing up your prediction logically, even if I disagree. I would really love to see 70k though. And yes, we will see :)

That game actually looks kinda interesting, but it's very strange to hear a 2020 announcement for switch lol. Then again, 2020 is less than a year and a half away, weird as that sounds

Feb 22, 2018
That game actually looks kinda interesting, but it's very strange to hear a 2020 announcement for switch lol. Then again, 2020 is less than a year and a half away, weird as that sounds
I always get worried when I hear a release date (in this case a release year) that is more than or almost 2 years away. Makes me think that it could get delayed. Hopefully not.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Retailers order copies according to preorders for most titles. There isn't any point going for a huge initial shipment intead of wait seeing how the first wave of sales goes being ordering more. Square is prepared either way.

They have already big stacks with bombs this year and Gundam was just 3 weeks ago, no need for another risk.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of a big bump in hardware sales for Switch, what I'm expecting is a smaller bump, but prolonged the following weeks rising the average. Especially with the holidays coming next weeks.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
How strong do you guys think the legs of Toad and Octopath will be? I think Toad will be an evergreen and have a great Christmas in my opinion. Octopath will have legs longer than the usual RPG. What about you.