• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but we're back to levels that they were in before August 2017. So either they're stockpiling again (for what, Labo in April?), or they did not ramp up production from last year. Or something else.

They have to make it through the Chinese New Year first. Can't do much about production when all the factories are shut down.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this, but is there actually an original source to support this? Again, perhaps it is a region-specific issue (Honshu v. Kyushu or Shikoku, etc.) but I cannot find any evidence of this among 3 different stores in a major city.

XB2 and XV2 (and Rabbids, at least for this week) have been mildly harder to find these past two weeks, but basically any other major soft I have seen very consistently on the shelf, both new and used.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-japan-retailers-cant-place-new-orders.15618/

i would try find the other links in past media create threads if they werent 50+ pages long

Oct 29, 2017

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Everyone so busy playing MHW right now that this thread is dead lol.
Well, it's nighttime in Japan and in the West it's not out yet, so this is not very likely.

I was going to say that it's just because there's isn't really anything to talk about, but that's never stopped us before.

Edit: Whoops, turned the clock the wrong way around, it's not nighttime in Japan, it's evening there. The Japanese people in this thread are probably lining up for the game, then!

Last edited:

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Nier was a called by everyone RPG. The only difference between the original Nier and Automata is that Automata has better combat. It has the same type of maps, progression, sidequests, an even the equipment and leveling options have been increased.

The only reason people is calling the game Action is because Platinum developed it, but that makes no sense. Granblue will be a RPG too.

Pretty much. I think most people get confused with ARPGs and hack and slash games. DMC is not a JRPG but Dragons Dogma is.

I still find the Xenoblade 2 sales in Japan super disappointing and I'm surprised people are being so optimistic about how it's performing. Third game in the franchise, been trying to build audience goodwill across 3 platforms, more and more content each game, bigger name talent, still gets outsold by entry 5 of a game on PS4 with tons of huge bugs in what was originally a budget title.

Persona 5?
Sometimes you can tell early on when a franchise is going to grow organically. Persona showed that with 3 and 4 as it grew significantly on many media fronts not just the games. It also helped that many considered them some of the best JRPGs on PS2.

Persona 5 also cost more just because of the ridiculous development time.

Not necessarily if dev size was relatively lower.

Wait, Sammy Samusu is banned? Why?

Capcom ninjas don't mess around.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
People keep saying this, but is there actually an original source to support this? Again, perhaps it is a region-specific issue (Honshu v. Kyushu or Shikoku, etc.) but I cannot find any evidence of this among 3 different stores in a major city.

XB2 and XV2 (and Rabbids, at least for this week) have been mildly harder to find these past two weeks, but basically any other major soft I have seen very consistently on the shelf, both new and used.

XV2 is selling for 9500 yen on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/ドラゴンボール-ゼノ...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DVE2HNC9FD8X3G1HG49T
XB2 is in stock from Jan 31: https://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-Xenobl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PD01PCAK25Q5X3MS2XCN

Of course it might be Amazon-specific ma as Amazon is not a small player in the industry it can be seen as a barometer of the situation.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Well, it's nighttime in Japan and in the West it's not out yet, so this is not very likely.

I was going to say that it's just because there's isn't really anything to talk about, but that's never stopped us before.

Edit: Whoops, turned the clock the wrong way around, it's not nighttime in Japan, it's evening there. The Japanese people in this thread are probably lining up for the game, then!
It's the coldest night in 48 years, people will line up in the morning like usual. We don't do midnight launches here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Sometimes you can tell early on when a franchise is going to grow organically. Persona showed that with 3 and 4 as it grew significantly on many media fronts not just the games. It also helped that many considered them some of the best JRPGs on PS2.

Persona took many years to establish and nurture the fanbase after the change in artstyle direction and overall atmosphere.

People tend to forgot this but the first Persona was pretty big. It sold arodun 400k. Persona 2 sold 270k with the first game and 200k with the second one. Persona 3 effectively kept the downward trend, selling only 210k. Atlus was smart enough to keep the interest for the franchise alive with FES and with Persona 4 on the same platform. Persona 5 was late but in the meanwhile, as you said, they nurtured the fanbase wih many games and re-editions.

Persona is also a unique case rather than the norm.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I think someone said it already but from the totals we have, XC2 is probably ahead of ARMS worldwide in its month and that shipped over a million.
I really think it's over a million shipped.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Are Japanese shops doing a midnight launch?

There's no midnight launches in Japan. The best you have is major stores opening a few hours earlier. A shame it's a Friday release (instead of Saturday like most other MH games), as people have work/school/ today. Oh, and no Day-1 sell-through either, since that's only for games out on Thursday or earlier in the week (but I'm sure the usual blogs will have impressions to share, it's too big of launch for them not to have anything to say :P).

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Are Japanese shops doing a midnight launch?

i didn't see that, morning launch, example: yodobashi 8.30 am for pre-orders and 9.00 am for others:

DUN9secVwAccLrn.jpg

DUXpsoNVwAAISjl.jpg

Bic camera:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Yeah it's gonna be a success, 91 on metacritic my goodness.
I'm upping my prediction to at least 4.5 Million worldwide.

I have a feeling Kirby is gonna review as well as Epic Yarn.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
As we're expecting a 1m+ debut, these are the 1m+ FW according to Famitsu:

NDS Pokémon Black / White 2.637.285
PS1 Final Fantasy VIII 2.504.044
NDS Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies 2.343.440
PS2 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King 2.236.881
PSP Monster Hunter Freedom 3 2.146.467
3DS Pokémon X / Y 2.096.050
PS1 Final Fantasy VII 2.034.879
PS1 Final Fantasy IX 1.954.421
3DS Pokémon Sun / Moon 1.905.107
3DS Monster Hunter 4 1.875.115
PS1 Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past 1.862.065
PS2 Final Fantasy XII 1.840.397
PS2 Final Fantasy X 1.749.737
NDS Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 1.618.621
3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 1.617.949
NDS Pokémon Diamond / Pearl 1.586.360
3DS Monster Hunter Generations 1.542.104
3DS Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire 1.534.593
PS3 Final Fantasy XIII 1.516.532
PS2 Final Fantasy X-2 1.472.914
GB Pokémon Gold / Silver 1.425.768
NDS Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver 1.408.980
PS1 Resident Evil 2 1.389.733
3DS Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls 1.281.096
SFC Dragon Quest VI: Realms Of Revelation 1.274.857
GBA Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire 1.245.003
GB Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Jounouchi Deck / Yugi Deck / Kaiba Deck [Game Boy Color] 1.228.599
3DS Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters 1.211.918
3DS Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon 1.199.814
3DS Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age 1.130.468
PS2 Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride 1.048.925
3DS Monster Hunter XX 1.014.584
PS1 Resident Evil 3: Nemesis 1.005.020

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah, despite the worrying, MHW is gonna do just fine in Japan. Those strong reviews and positive reaction to the betas are going to translate to great word of mouth and legs.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So, I'm largely basing this off of mediocre comgnet pre order numbers, but is DB Fighters Z not looking like its going to be that big in Japan, at least first week?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm largely basing this off of mediocre comgnet pre order numbers, but is DB Fighters Z not looking like its going to be that big in Japan, at least first week?
Going by past PS4 Xenoverse sales I'm not expecting a debut bugger than 100k

Probably less. The market is mostly in Europe where DB is still prety big 20 years after Dragon Ball Z first airings

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I just assumed the hype in the West translated to Japan.
Portable DB games still pull 200-300k

PlayStation entries not so much. This is why it's so western focused actually (with mostly western fan favorites beeing there)

I had a preorder but I have too many games so I'll wait on a deluxe edition with all the DLC (same for MHW I'm waiting on the PC version which will probably follow a similar trajectory to MvsCI PC and be ultra cheap super fast)

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I think the problem lies more with the genre rather than the platform. Xenoverse 2 has sold over 210k on Switch and PS4 combined. Meanwhile, all 3DS games sold rather well... except Extreme Butoden, the only fighting game from the bunch.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think FighterZ has a chance of being the best-selling DB game on recent PS platforms, though not reaching the height of PS2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.