• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Chris would be interested in making something like a Discord server so that he could moderate it himself? Wouldn't be an exact alternative but still… I'm so salty about this.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Matsuyama-san is just too powerful for this thread. Chris simply was no match for his level headed analysis of the japanese market (if you understand japanese I encourage you to read his book, I heard the Famitsu write up doesn't do it justice).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
i have no doubts the discourse levels will increase and that these threads are going to be a haven of enlightenment and accurate sales discussion from now on.

I eagerly await the « Final Fantasy VIIR has sold more than 10 million units » posts now

Dec 21, 2020
I would only take it as really leaving if the account gets closed, otherwise I will assume it's a break from ResetERA for a little bit and not outright leaving until it happens (hopefully doesn't happen).

Sad to see Mazi go however :((

Dolgan

Oct 28, 2017
This makes me very sad. This community was the reason I joined Era (even though I'm just a lurker I've been reading these threads since 2006...)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd also like an update if possible if anything gets decided for the future of the japanese sale community. It's one of my favourite weekly events.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I feel so bad that Chris is leaving, this thread really died now. Thanks Chris, and the other regulars that are leaving after last night. I don't blame them one bit and would do the same if it had happened to me. Wish them love.

And I hope the mods are happy with what they did to this community. As a longggg time lurker, I just lost one of the few reasons I even opened Resetera weekly.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all these years Chris. Best threads of Era and probably my most viewed threads in all these years. Good luck in the future.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Mazi will leave to?? Man, that is also a huge loss!

Chris never coming back is sooo...unreal.

At this moment...i dont know what to say...

But Chris is gone, mazi is gone and Lelouch not maiking NPD anymore and Bruno MB also banned....Like...that really, really hurts.

It really hurts.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
Chris, you will be missed.

While I'm mostly a lurker in the sales threads, the Media Create threada were one of the big reasons why I moved over from GAF.

This is a huge loss on the gaming side.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
You've been actively trolling these threads for months so you can cool down with trying to be the level-headed one here.

This kind of mindset is one of the reasons the guidelines were created. Why am I a troll? Because I mostly lurk, haven't been in MC threads for as long as some of the regulars and I don't always see eye to eye with their analysis?

The punishment certainly is.

But the punishment was the day long ban. Please don't tell me you consider the staff post some sort of punishment. It boils down to "don't act like everyone's up to date on two decades of MC community memes", "be nice or don't engage" and "post your sources if you didn't compile the info yourself". If you think someone's trolling, report them. It's pretty much the general forum rules...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
i have no doubts the discourse levels will increase and that these threads are going to be a haven of enlightenment and accurate sales discussion from now on.

I eagerly await the « Final Fantasy VIIR has sold more than 10 million units » posts now
We only need Famitsu to stop sharing numbers and then we'll achieve the ultimate level of discussion! 😂

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I don't think I have made a grand total of more than 5 posts across MC threads, but I've been silently following them for years. This is just sad.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well looking at WW sales it was a good launch, but there was discussion regarding how the opening week for Japan was, since it debuted physically under Berseria, which was a lower point for the series.
I see. Thanks for the info :)

Sakamoto's explanation:
"In Japan, the people who are into Metroid tend to be hardcore game fans. It's not a series that's necessarily found acceptance in Japan outside of that niche. You can also say that it's the same as how science fiction is embraced in the United States compared to Japan. Science fiction seems to be a niche genre in Japan as a whole, where it seems to have found more mainstream success in the US."
Thats interesting. I am curious if things can change with Metroid Dread. Thanks for the info :)

Anecdotal, but I'm having a hard time finding a physical copy of Metroid Fusion. Any copy that is put on Yahoo Auctions or Mercari for under thirty dollars seems to go in about 2 or 3 days.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, obviously.
I see, thats interesting. Maybe it can be an indication of increased popularity of how Metroid Dread will do, indeed. Thanks for the info :)

Im not completely sure of that myself, since i decided to not participate once i saw a user claiming that many of the regulars in this thread would be hoping for Tales of Arise to fail, bomb or get bad reviews. I knew what time it was by then and nothing good would come from the following pages.

From the outside looking in it seems like ToA was the perfect case for the clash about the same old discussions and persons being on the forefront in this thread.

A. Declining franchise in Japan, that might benefit from a Switch release
B. Japanese sales being just okay, despite a successful global launch.
C. Harada and in general comments regarding the japanese top producers that refuse to be on Switch for various reasons.

This is just my personal take and it might be bias. But based on this thread being focused on japanese sales it was fair to to call out ToA for the average domestic performance, even when it did good overall with being multiplattform and much stronger in the west compared to past releases. I think that some people have a difficult time with a game or producers of games being called out in this thread - despite the game being a quality release and selling well globally, because the focus is on the Japanese performance mostly.

And i get that, i feel the same way when someone would take the UK performance of some japanese niche game to state the game is an overall flop. Here is the issue though, most members here make it very clear that they are reviewing and commenting on the japanese performance in comparison to past bigger Tales of releases.

This is also just a subplot of the fact that Nintendo is really dominating the japanese console market right now and most of the regulars here seem to be Nintendo fans or at least Switch owners that are much more open to the plattform getting support, its market position would imply. So they are less likely to give decling franchises as pass, when they do everything to improve sales except going for the most forward path of being on a very popular plattform.

Well at least thats my take on it, despite the language used with the market being this loop sided in favor of one company certain members will just not feel welcomed here. Especially if they can get fact checked fast, so yea this can result in a less welcoming atmosphere compared to other sales threads with less available data for people that just wanna cheer on their console or game series of choice.

ToA was always gonna be an issue because it represents a lot of the main issues of these threads, that probably should have been adressed before its release.
Ah ok, i understand. I think maybe that i misunderstood you earlier, sorry. When you said "you really can't make this up", i thought maybe that you meant that it was surprising that all of this happened due to ToA being released, so i just go a bit curious if anything special had happened in regards to ToA, and if the situation was surprising (i also didnt read all the discussion in the thread around this, so i missed much, unfortunately). But i see what you mean in this reply, and i think what you say here sounds like a good summary of the overall situation, i agree. Thanks for the detailed answer :)

Last edited:

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Been mostly a lurker in these threads since I don't have much insight into the Japanese market specifically. While it did seem like a lot of threads had some redundant themes with weekly complaint sessions about Publisher A ignoring Platform X and it all being Person P's fault, they were broadly much better threads than many of the shower thought threads thrown around on ResetEra because they were first and foremost underpinned by the presentation of new data every week. Anyway, just throw my lot in with those thinking the moderation decisions here seemed misaligned with the problem.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I mainly lurk here but I've followed these threads for years. If someone could let me know where the MC community ends up after this I'd appreciate it. I enjoy seeing the data Chris compiles and hiska-kun's charts.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate if true but I'd say that's a bit of an overreaction to a one day ban.
I dunno. I only peek in here from time to time out of curiosity, but even I know that these threads have been a troll hotspot for years, with three users in particular sticking out and only being permabanned for completely different reasons.

I don't envy the mods/admins, but from what I saw, there was only one that really ever cared about cleaning up that kind of behaviour and they've long since left. For Chris to receive a warning in the first place for replying to another person trying to stir the pot just seems like missing the point.

Deleted member 59

I don't think I have made a grand total of more than 5 posts across MC threads, but I've been silently following them for years. This is just sad.

Same for me tbh. The most active i was happened during the gaf-era transition when i made the first MC thread while we waited for Chris to come over. I m a lurker, but the threads felt like my place on era.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is officially done with ResetERA. He's not coming back.

That's it folks.

Welp, guess that's the end of salesera. If Chris is gone I don't see the point of sticking around MC threads, especially with the new guidelines. Many thanks to Chris for his work over the years.

Will miss all the salesera regulars. If Chris is going somewhere else and you find out, I'd appreciate a pm.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Lurkers are rising up. We could use some fresh blood in here. Great to see you all posting and I'm hoping that will continue.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess that's the end of salesera. If Chris is gone I don't see the point of sticking around MC threads, especially with the new guidelines. Many thanks to Chris for his work over the years.

Will miss all the salesera regulars. If Chris is going somewhere else and you find out, I'd appreciate a pm.
I'll be watching what Hiska does but it looks like MC threads are prety much done for.

I see no point in having a mirror of the other site's threads and posting behaviors

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lurkers are rising up. We could use some fresh blood in here. Great to see you all posting and I'm hoping that will continue.

They are rising up for the wrong reasons, and saying they lost their only reason for lurking. I don't think you're gonna get what you want here.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Well… not much more to add to this event.
Thanks Chris for the dedication, the weekly posts, the incredible work with the white paper and everything else. Been a blast reading this threads weekly since discovering them a few years back. Good luck in life!

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I just want to thank Chris and all the other people for their deep analysis and commentary on sales data over the past years. It feels like yesterday as they all moved here from neogaf. I really enjoyed the discussions.
Yeah, I totally agree. Sales discussion/analysis, graphs and all is the only thing I read here along with Direct threads and lately Future Nintendo Hardware threads.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest mistake of the staff team was to not assign a mod for these thread right after Nibel quit. It definitely feels like the recent decisions were made by someone who is not well-versed with the specific dynamics and the history of these threads.
Even back on GAF, there was Nirolak, who was a mod & a big part of the MC threads.

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Well, bollocks. Thanks for all the hard work, Chris and everyone else who helped contribute to MediaCreate.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest mistake of the staff team was to not assign a mod for these thread right after Nibel quit. It definitely feels like the recent decisions were made by someone who is not well-versed with the specific dynamics and the history of these threads.
Even back on GAF, there was Nirolak, who was a mod & a big part of the MC threads.

I miss nirolak so much.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Agree 100%. Taken in a vacuum with no context I can see how regular old mods would be confused.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Dang this is really sad to hear. It's a shame how many people get chased away from this place. Chris will definitely be missed. Hopefully someone else takes over Media Create threads.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Same would honestly love it as I really do enjoy reading his opinions on the Japanese market.

Unless Chris and the other regulars come back this thread will more then likely be the last I ever post on any Sales Era topic. So that's gonna be a no from me

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Dang this is really sad to hear. It's a shame how many people get chased away from this place. Chris will definitely be missed. Hopefully someone else takes over Media Create threads.
If someone is taking over, they would also need to archive/compile data, and that's a big task.
Market analysis is going to be harder from now on.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Please don't tag people to try to foist responsibility onto them

If anyone tries to take up Chris's mantle it's going to have to be organically, by their own choice, and come from a similar place of dedication—one that is willing to be stretched out for years and years.

It ain't happening right away, leave folks alone

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
I stopped posting on these threads a while ago but I still enjoyed viewing the discussion. Very unfortunate what happened to Chris and SalesERA in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.