• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The service is cheaper than their competitors, which you have conveniently left our despite the discussion beyond most game forums.
Also do you think kids around the world don't ask for XBL or PS+ subscriptions? Don't be foolish.

The main difference is that Nintendo is asking people to pay for something people used to get for free. ALso, cut the crap with your passive aggressive tone. No one is being "foolish" here, we're just discussing. Is it possible to have a cordial discussion even if we disagree?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The main difference is that Nintendo is asking people to pay for something people used to get for free. ALso, cut the crap with your passive aggressive tone. No one is being "foolish" here, we're just discussing. Is it possible to have a cordial discussion even if we disagree?
And Sony are asking people to pay for something that used to be free. Huh? Have you thought this through?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure the online subscription has impacted Splatoon 2 to a degree. But it's not to the point that I get the gloom being presented. Its still going to cross 4m and there is not that many Switch's out there. To maintain > 50% attach rate was never going to happen.

Ever green doesn't mean "will never see lower sales ever"

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Sony are asking people to pay for something that used to be free. Huh? Have you thought this through?

I think the line of thinking that zakatana and co use is that since the Switch had a year and change of free online before it became premium then that is worse than say the PS4/Xbox One which were premium right from launch because... well I don't quite get it but yeah that's what it is. I think.

Edit: beaten lol.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm sure the online subscription has impacted Splatoon 2 to a degree. But it's not to the point that I get the gloom being presented. Its still going to cross 4m and there is not that many Switch's out there. To maintain > 50% attach rate was never going to happen.

Ever green doesn't mean "will never see lower sales ever"

No gloom on my side. I said from the first page that the game was still selling well and would continue to do so in 2019. But I also said it lost some steam, and that the paid online could explain that in some ways.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Splatoon 2 Post-launch Sales and Attach Rate Launch to April
Attach Rate April to July

You should note the Attach Rate fell below 30% last year during Super Mario Odyssey launch but went back up during December:

Aug 28 - Sep 24
Splatoon 2 - 156.679
Switch HW - 182.991
Attach Rate - 85%

Sep 25 - Oct 29(Super Mario Odyssey Launch/Splatoon 2 Bundle no longer available)
Splatoon 2 - 110.592
Switch HW - 310.031
Attach Rate - 35%

Oct 30 - Nov 26(Super Mario Odyssey Bundle)
Splatoon 2 - 102.079
Switch HW - 376.544
Attach Rate - 27%

Nov 27 - Dec 31(Super Mario Odyssey Bundle)
Splatoon 2 - 391.340
Switch HW - 915.091
Attach Rate - 42%

Jan 1 - Jan 28
Splatoon 2 - 206.940
Switch HW - 273.640
Attach Rate - 75%

Thanks, but it lacks more recent data

Splatoon 2 in H2 2018

Weeks - Splatoon 2 sales / Switch hardware sales = attach rate.

Code:
Week 27+28 - 36.792 /  94.476 = 38.94%
Week 29+30 - 42.257 / 102.115 = 41.38%
Week 31+32 - 42.619 / 100.942 = 42.22%
Week 33+34 - 40.224 / 100.906 = 39.86%
Week 35+36 - 31.357 /  85.664 = 36.60%
Week 37+38 - 27.299 /  76.471 = 35.70%
Week 39+40 - 23.439 /  88.719 = 26.42%
Week 41+42 - 16.060 /  86.218 = 18.63%
Week 43+44 - 13.073 /  81.602 = 16.02%

Now guess when did Nintendo Switch Online launch?

18 September 2018, which was in Week 38. The free trial of 7 days was over in Week 39.

That's the kind of numbers I was thinking about.
It's not a concern yet (if it had maintained a 30% attach rate that would have meant 25k additional sales) but if it's a trend that continues until its final LTD is reached, it might cost anywhere between a few hundreds thousands to one million sales.
Nintendo probably get much more money by having a paid online worldwide but that might be a shame for Splatoon 2 final numbers.

It's not unealthy nor misplaced to point out a small slowdown trend to what is one of the biggest IP in gaming and a game we expect to break the all time top 10 in Japan.
Now with the evergrowing Switch install base that might end up above 20M, even a 15-20% attach rate for the remaining 15M hardware sales would put it at >5M retail so no doom and gloom there.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The PSN was free when the PS4 released? I genuinely didn't know. I never owned a playstation.
PSN used to be free. It's not on the PS4.
It used to be free to play online on the Switch. It's not anymore.

I'm not seeing a huge difference here, except that the Switch online plan costs a lot less than PSN...

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The PSN was free when the PS4 released? I genuinely didn't know. I never owned a playstation.
No, its was there from day 1 on PS4. It was (and still is) free on PS3 and Vita. But yeah, they didnt add it to the PS4 later on like Switch did with the Switch. It was however known very early on that this would happen.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I kinda love that the Japanese market is consolidating itself around two main platforms thanks to Sony and Nintendo moving to a single platform each.

I imagine it's great for developers.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

I'm not seeing a huge difference here, except that the Switch online plan costs a lot less than PSN...

From a customer point of view there's a huge difference, you're asking someone to pay for something that was free for one and half a year on a hardware and games he already owned VS paying for a service on a new hardware and games he didn't own before.

The end result might look the same at first glance but they're not similar at all, it's like if you were used to drive on a road with your car for free but suddenly you have to pay for it VS a new "shiny" paid road being open.

Now I'm not talking about pricepoint, quality of service or if it's a good thing or not, that's not the topic.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, this is how free trials work. They're free until they're over.

I'm sure it's effecting online-centric games to an extent, as any paywall will, but I don't think Nintendo should be too concerned about Splatoon here. It's still selling great.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Then I stick to what I said. Something that was free on day 1 is now behind a paywall, a year and a half after; I do not think that it compares with a PS3/PS$ situation. The fact that the service is cheap helps, the fact that it is very underwhelming does not help.
I hope we'll eventually get the numbers regarding the proportion of subscribers. My anecdotal experience playing Splatoon 2 is that the user base has significantly shrink, and this is consistent with the numerous report of players being increasingly matched with people from other regions, which used to rarely happen before.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly retailer hints vol.1

Last slow week of the year, very few releases. Luigi's Mansion won't escape another disappointing 3DS opening. It could show legs in holidays unless everyone goes for Switch.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I actually expected sales to go down as bundles go live this month
8eaa2ba7a0.png

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Switch is entering holiday mode. Many evergreen games are increasing their sales. FighterZ is also increasing which bodes well to repeat a similar performance to XenoVerse 2 (similarly for FIFA).

That Neko Tomo effect. Switch immediately rise up in HW number.^_^

Now konami, bring us Tongari boshi dammit!!!

[3DS] Teddy Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.743) - 12.705 / 202.116
[3DS] Teddy Together [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 968 / 28.855

10./00. [NSW] Cats Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.11.01} (¥5.700) - 4.151 / NEW

If Switch would have a big holiday season, I can totally see Neko Tomo approaching 100k units.

Now guess when did Nintendo Switch Online launch?

Correlation =/= causation

I agree that the drop is suspect BUT there are many factors to consider at the same time. New games released, for example. Also, we must look at also how other games kept performing at the same time.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Weekly retailer hints vol.1

Last slow week of the year, very few releases. Luigi's Mansion won't escape another disappointing 3DS opening. It could show legs in holidays unless everyone goes for Switch.

Considering Smash and Poke coming hard. I had hard time seeing 3ds title doing any good in terms of legs there. Switch and all its bundle is so going to take all spotlight.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And it is reasonable to think that this stronger drop relates to the fact that if you want to play the game, you need to pay for a subscription on top of the base game.

I'm not convinced.

I just think the audience for Mario Kart is bigger and more casual. Switch has appeal beyond the WiiU. Splatoon 2 is more saturated. Mario Kart has higher ceiling.

Mario Kart being good at local multi is part of the higher ceiling.

I would need evidence to deconvolute saturation to show the effect of paid online. For example, increase in used copies suddenly appearing.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
From a customer point of view there's a huge difference, you're asking someone to pay for something that was free for one and half a year on a hardware and games he already owned VS paying for a service on a new hardware and games he didn't own before.

The end result might look the same at first glance but they're not similar at all, it's like if you were used to drive on a road with your car for free but suddenly you have to pay for it VS a new "shiny" paid road being open.

Now I'm not talking about pricepoint, quality of service or if it's a good thing or not, that's not the topic.

It was said from the Day1 of the Switch announce.
Online would be behind a paywall, and Nintendo gave us 1 year of Free online. Also the 1 year free become 1 year and half.

They didn't made this stealthly and you just wak up one morning with SUDDENLY a paying wall. It was announced since the beggining.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
It was said from the Day1 of the Switch announce.
Online would be behind a paywall, and Nintendo gave us 1 year of Free online. Also the 1 year free become 1 year and half.

They didn't made this stealthly and you just wak up one morning with SUDDENLY a paying wall. It was announced since the beggining.

Mass market users don't check videogames news on internet or Nintendo Direct, they might have heard of it but it's not like Nintendo run billboards or TV ads to say it (rightfully so) and everyone had multiple occasions to remember it.
I'm not sure how Nintendo warned users exactly, especially for those playing online games as the date got closer, but the end result is what it is, they put themselves between a rock and hard place and there was no ideal way to handle that.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Mass market users don't check videogames news on internet or Nintendo Direct, they might have heard of it but it's not like Nintendo run billboards or TV ads to say it (rightfully so) and everyone had multiple occasions to remember it.
I'm not sure how Nintendo warned users exactly, especially for those playing online games as the date got closer, but the end result is what it is, they put themselves between a rock and hard place and there was no ideal way to handle that.
It's pointed out on the box of any game with online, and mentioned on the eshop page for any game with online. I'm sure it caught some people off guard but Nintendo did a pretty good job of letting people know the online was a free trial. I'd say it was handled pretty well in the end.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

But this wasn't.a surprise. We knew this was coming before the switch launched. It's not like anyone was bamboozled here. Nintendo gave you a paid service for free for close to two years.

The ps4 launched with paid online. The ps3 was free. There were a ton of ps3 ports released on the ps4 that required paid online. The same games that were free to play online on the ps3. There's not as much of a difference as you think.

And according to you this won't be an issue for yet to be released games since we never got to play those online for free. Right?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Then I stick to what I said. Something that was free on day 1 is now behind a paywall, a year and a half after; I do not think that it compares with a PS3/PS$ situation. The fact that the service is cheap helps, the fact that it is very underwhelming does not help.
I hope we'll eventually get the numbers regarding the proportion of subscribers. My anecdotal experience playing Splatoon 2 is that the user base has significantly shrink, and this is consistent with the numerous report of players being increasingly matched with people from other regions, which used to rarely happen before.
Huh? I was constantly matched with Japanese people when I played when online was free. I think that's always been common. My anecdotal evidence vs yours

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
They made plenty of PSAs about Online having a cost and it says on the back of the case of online enabled games. so yeah they was plenty of warning.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People didn't used to buy Splatoon 2 because they bought a Switch. They bought the system so they could play games like Splatoon 2. NSO being the main cause for the drop would only make sense if Switch overall HW and SW numbers were down, but as far as we can see the baseline has remained steady throughout the year.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I think I've outlined as much as possible what could be the outlook of a casual not informed videogame consumer, there are details to add here and there which alleviate or not the problem but it still stands.

It's pointed out on the box of any game with online

I imagine it's the case for games being released from now but since when did they do that? Did Splatoon 2 / Mario Kart 8D had that right from their release? Was it added to later shipments as we got closer to the start of paid online? If so when? And what iconography did they use?
I remember DS/WII games having the odd red "Nintendo Wifi connection" logo in front of the box when it had paid DLC, what did they use this time?

And according to you this won't be an issue for yet to be released games since we never got to play those online for free. Right?

Less of a problem for sure but still one regardless, talking about potential future buyers of let's say Animal Crossing it's not a stretch to think that some may not be aware yet that they will have to pay for online subscription when they didn't have to on previous entries, it's an additional cost they will have to go through on top of the hardware/game, they might even think they're fine with the mobile entry even if it's a lesser experience.

Once again don't make this post bigger than it is, I'm trying to look at the big picture and how that might slightly affect sales of Nintendo big evergreen titles.

They made plenty of PSAs about Online having a cost and it says on the back of the case of online enabled games. so yeah they was plenty of warning.

Erm... I had to look for the info for like 30s before finding it, it's there it's not hidden but it's not like your average consumer will look at everything that's written in typo 6 at the bottom left of the box.

Mind you're linking a western box so it's not really relevant and might be entirely different on the japanese one.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Worth nothing that in Famitsu Mario Kart 8 Deluxe LTD is back up above Super Mario Odyssey

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've outlined as much as possible what could be the outlook of a casual not informed videogame consumer, there are details to add here and there which alleviate or not the problem but it still stands.

I imagine it's the case for games being released from now but since when did they do that? Did Splatoon 2 / Mario Kart 8D had that right from their release? Was it added to later shipments as we got closer to the start of paid online? If so when? And what iconography did they use?
I remember DS/WII games having the odd red "Nintendo Wifi connection" logo in front of the box when it had paid DLC, what did they use this time?

Less of a problem for sure but still one regardless, talking about potential future buyers of let's say Animal Crossing it's not a stretch to think that some may not be aware yet that they will have to pay for online subscription when they didn't have to on previous entries, it's an additional cost they will have to go through on top of the hardware/game, they might even think they're fine with the mobile entry even if it's a lesser experience.

Once again don't make this post bigger than it is, I'm trying to look at the big picture and how that might slightly affect sales of Nintendo big evergreen titles.
All online games from launch have the memo in the back that a sub will eventually be required. The eshop gives this message and has done so since launch as well.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There had been several announcements of this both on Switch News (on console) and via email for Nintendo accounts.

And to be honest, no one cares if this service now costs a few dollars. The only "concerned" people I met here at era and some other niche gaming forums. Its just a non-issue for the mainstream.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight, I feel like keeping basic online functionality free would have made a lot of sense for a device like the Switch. Especially if they want the kids market. More expensive device + more expensive games + online subscription adds up for the kids that only wanna play Pokémon.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight, I feel like keeping basic online functionality free would have made a lot of sense for a device like the Switch. Especially if they want the kids market. More expensive device + more expensive games + online subscription adds up for the kids that only wanna play Pokémon.
Nintendo is not capable of providing anything other than the most basic online functionalities. It those are free, they can't charge on anything. Nobody subscribe for free NES games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must say that I didn't see coming the Switch bump, but I assume it's partly due to the holiday on the 3rd ?
Don't see things holding up next week but it'll go back up in furious force for Pokémon's week.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Erm... I had to look for the info for like 30s before finding it, it's there it's not hidden but it's not like your average consumer will look at everything that's written in typo 6 at the bottom left of the box.

Mind you're linking a western box so it's not really relevant and might be entirely different on the japanese one.
And it might not be? i can't read Japanese, so i can't really say. also it's in a big off colored box. so it brings attention to your eye.

but at the end of the day this is moot. we're gonna feel how we feel and it'll play out how it plays out.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's very good, they totally deserve the shit they've been getting with that poor excuse of an offering. Hopefully, it'll make them reconsider their approach. It won't though, it's Nintendo we're talking about.
I mean we literally just had confirmation that more people bought a year long subscription than they projected when they started the online, so it's not really doing anything to them in the long run. As long as more and more desirable evergreens remain online, it's a matter of wearing down the stragglers.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
All this talk about Splatoon for a few """""""disappointing""""""" weeks is kinda silly. Holidays are gonna be insane like usual.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Let's Go has very limited online features compared to previous entries in the series, so it be strange to have a bundle with NSO, especially when Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are already on the market.

OK, i thought the online experience would be meaty with Let's go, I didn't pay attention cause I've never been into Pokemon. My bad !