Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There was one PS4 game in the top 50 in 2014:

049. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes <ADV> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥2.980) - 142.928 / 142.928 (91.903 <62,43%>)

Expecting things to be better this time for 2021. Main difference is that there won't be 18 PS3/PSV entries, with 7 PSV titles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create thread 2027:

It took years for the system to recover and it was helped a lot from most Japanese third parties betting hard on it from the beginning, never really supporting Wii U and after a point moving resources away from 3DS in favour to PS4. It's not accidental PS4 late years were much stronger than PS5.

=P

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Outside of their Atlus and PC projects, what does Sega even have announced right now? I'm struggling to think of anything outside of Puyo Puyo for next gen.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Monster Hunter we must find this magical 3DS third party support that was moved to PS4 and even that didn't happen until 3DS twilight years.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I made a 10 dollar bet with a friend of mine that switch will sell more next week than ps5 and xbox combined. Im not sure ill win, but at least it is close enough to make it possible.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of their Atlus and PC projects, what does Sega even have announced right now? I'm struggling to think of anything outside of Puyo Puyo for next gen.
All they have is the new version of PSO2. I would imagine we're getting Sonic and Yakuza announcements next year at the very least.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This must be a major game that abandoned 3DS for PS4 in year 2020 when 3DS is 5 meters under ground.

edit: Even worse, Kingdom Hearts. Big shift of resources from Nintendo to Sony.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But it launched on Switch too ?

How is it moving ressources away from the 3DS for the PS4 ?

Ah ok. That's not moving away from Nintendo though, that's just adding a platform, and for a game where they may not even have had a choice.

Who said anything about moving away?

The original joke quote was about the PS4 benefitting from publishers moving development from 3DS to PS4, which is exactly what happened.

Even then I can give you the example of Ganbarion going from being Nintendo exclusive to making One Piece World Seeker on PS4(/XBO/PC).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics at display here regarding KH are giving me back pain just by reading it

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Who said anything about moving away?

The original joke quote was about the PS4 benefitting from publishers moving development from 3DS to PS4, which is exactly what happened.

Even then I can give you the example of Ganbarion going from being Nintendo exclusive to making One Piece World Seeker on PS4(/XBO/PC).
You ?

after a point moving resources away from 3DS in favour to PS4

Even so are we talking about 3rd parties or developers ? Because that's very different.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing third party support that moved from DS to PS3/PSP during DS mid life to the support that was supposed to move from 3DS to PS4 reads like a big joke if someone knows the release schedule of these systems. 3DS third party support was so anemic for a market leader that didn't have many things to give and even then most of these releases moved to Switch.

PS4 had almost the entire Japan behind from day one since that was the trend from PS3 late years. If something has happened last years is the opposite, developers moving from PlayStation only to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You ?

Even so are we talking about 3rd parties or developers ? Because that's very different.

Away from 3DS, not Nintendo platforms completely.

Would you dispute someone saying Switch benefitted from publishers moving resources from Vita to Switch, despite the fact they still release on PS4?
But are they really?

I have personally not seen any evidence of the Switch version existing. The listings on the eShop could be fake.=P

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There was one PS4 game in the top 50 in 2014:

049. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes <ADV> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥2.980) - 142.928 / 142.928 (91.903 <62,43%>)

Expecting things to be better this time for 2021. Main difference is that there won't be 18 PS3/PSV entries, with 7 PSV titles.

What are you expecting to chart other than Resi 8?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI was planned for 2021 from what people have said.

bs8jSZ7.png

Also stuff like Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus and possibly Gran Blue should have PS5 SKUs that could possibly enter the Top 50.

I guess Arise might if they kill the PS4 version lol

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
What are you expecting to chart other than Resi 8?
It is hard to know since it'll depend on how many notable games release on PS4 and Switch next year too.

Even R8 is hard to guess because the game might be cross-gen.
Away from 3DS, not Nintendo platforms completely.

Would you dispute someone saying Switch benefitted from publishers moving resources from Vita to Switch, despite the fact they still release on PS4?

I mean if your point is that publishers are moving from the 3DS in 2020 then yeah, even Nintendo did lol.

Regarding your second sentence, I would say as much that's true. Still, with how scalabe and adaptable engines are, multiplat games are the natural evolution.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
bs8jSZ7.png

I guess Arise might if they kill the PS4 version lol

I think FFXVI launching in 2021 is imperative to the health of the PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes as far as to offer manpower to make it happen.
It is hard to know since it'll depend on how many notable games release on PS4 and Switch next year too.

Even R8 is hard to guess because the game might be cross-gen.

I mean if your point is that publishers are moving from the 3DS in 2020 then yeah, even Nintendo did lol.

Regarding your second sentence, I would say as much that's true. Still, with how scalabe and adaptable engines are, multiplat games are the natural evolution.

It was a joke post anyway but the point was mostly just that PS4 has benefitted from picking up what was 3DS support.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if the western division makes more money this year than the Japanese side of the company :P

Football Manager 2021
Humankind in 2021 (Civilization-like game)
A Major Total War game in 2021 as well (Warhammer 3 maybe)
They might also have the multiplatform shooter title made for consoles and PC next-year (By alien isolation and Halo Wars 2 team)

I mean, it's a given :D

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Yakuza producer Daisuke Sato says he would like to work in a Sonic game

During an interview for the SEGA’s 60th anniversary, Yakuza producer Daisuke Sato said that he would be interested in working with the Sonic IP. When asked which SEGA IP he’d like to be involved with, if given the chance, he said it would be Sonic, because “after all, when you hear SEGA, you...

RIP Sonic on Switch. Sonic Boom proved there's no audience. =P

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I don't think it makes any sense for Sony to try to pressure Square Enix to launch FF XVI in 2021, they are probably going to have a much smaller lineup in 2022 compared to 2021 and Xbox is going to have a much stronger 2022 than 2021, Sony can use FF XVI in 2022.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it makes any sense for Sony to try to pressure Square Enix to launch FF XVI in 2021, they are probably going to have a much smaller lineup in 2022 compared to 2021 and Xbox is going to have a much stronger 2022 than 2021, Sony can use FF XVI in 2022.

Outside of Japan sure but FFXVI kickstarting the platform in 2021 is probably the only way the platform doesn't fall into the pattern PS4 did, except with even lower numbers.

Jan 20, 2019
Outside of Japan sure but FFXVI kickstarting the platform in 2021 is probably the only way the platform doesn't fall into the pattern PS4 did, except with even lower numbers.

The only support you probably see is their new support studio giving some help, dont expect Sony to move mountain to make sure FF hits 2021, that is not going to happen.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
The digital version of Sakuna is now tracking higher than the retail version in Amazon.jp.

It's also nuts how Sakuna is ranked 1st on the Japan eShop charts currently and is ranked fourth by popularity when searching for titles on the eShop, it's ahead of Ninjala and behind Fortnite with YouTube at 2nd and Super Mario Bros. 35 being 1st currently.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Since PS5 launch will be similar to PS3 in Japan this was PS3 trajectory.

Sony shipped 1m systems by mid January with very low sell-through (less than 600k), when the target was 1m by mid December (aiming for 100k weekly shipments after launch with initial shipment being 80-100k). There weren't more than 1-2 games in top 50 for the entire 2007 and the beginning of 2008. It took years for the system to recover and it was helped a lot from most Japanese third parties betting hard on it from the beginning, never really supporting Wii and after a point moving resources away from DS in favour to PS3 and PSP. It's not accidental PS3 late years were much stronger than PS4.

They had PS2 and PSP to take up the slack and keep developers in their wheelhouse. This time around for PS4 they are not lowering the price and apparently turning off the spigot.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So what are the odds of Sentinel 13 ever finding a way to the Switch? Above or below 5%?
I wont be able to get a PS5 for probably a year and I cant fathom getting a PS4 again..

Am I a fool for hoping it could happen? Vanillaware hasnt made a game for a Nintendo platform since Muramasa right?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the odds of Sentinel 13 ever finding a way to the Switch? Above or below 5%?
I wont be able to get a PS5 for probably a year and I cant fathom getting a PS4 again..

Am I a fool for hoping it could happen? Vanillaware hasnt made a game for a Nintendo platform since Muramasa right?
Ive heard sony helped with that game in some way, I would have said eventually but it depends on the role sony played in it's development
Does anyone know how it's done in the west?

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Best way to save the PS5 in 2021 is to release that Demon Slayer game exclusively on it
But that won't happen

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
eShop indeed shows big demand for Sakuna with shortage at retail and massive digital sales. Marvelous will likely post an announcement soon.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Agreed. Sega should be eons more focused on Nintendo than they are. They also royally fucked up the Sega Ages line by again releasing mostly 80's/early 90's 2D arcade games. Wouldn't shock me if Virtua Racing is their highest seller bar Sonic 1 and 2.
Haven't check on the Japanese eShop, but on the US, the best seller of the Sega Ages series is Sonic 2 actually, followed by Sonic 1, Out Run, Phantasy Star*, and Virtua Racing.

*Probably the best version of this game (translation aside) by the way get this if you're interested.

But yeah they did messed up the Sega Ages line on the Switch. With the odd game selections, every Sega fans or one who's a little bit interested (like me) aren't likely going to get most of those titles on the first glance. Not having simultaneous launch doesn't help either.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is that Nintendo pushed to have Sakuna on Switch, or it would have not happened.
Well at least I'm glad it worked out in the end.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sakuna was made from 2 people, it wasn't easy to add systems during development. It's not so crazy Nintendo had to push for it.