Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
With the opening like this, Momotarou will be a evergreen seller for Christmas 2021 too...

Also, it doesn't matter how good BotW has been performing and how strong the demand is for a sequel, BotW 2 is not gonna be among even Top 5 opening WW when it is released. BotW is popular but it is not THAT popular.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
With the opening like this, Momotarou will be a evergreen seller for Christmas 2021 too...

Also, it doesn't matter how good BotW has been performing and how strong the demand is for a sequel, BotW 2 is not gonna be among even Top 5 opening WW when it is released. BotW is popular but it is not THAT popular.
It will do 5m+ first week sell-through without breaking a sweat.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

Lol a single player game with legs stronger legs than almost any Game period? A game in which is gonna sell way over 30mil lifetime......

my friend, BotW2 is going to open up better than almost every Nintendo game ever ;)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
this man gets it. What are the top 5 best launches of all time from Nintendo? ACNH 11mil+ should be #1
Depends on whether we are talking shipments/sell-through and on what timeframe.

For Switch games it is basically for first week sell-through:

Odyssey (2017): 2m+
Pokémon Let's Go (2018): 3m+
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (2018): 5m+
Pokémon Sword/Shield (2019): 6m+
Animal Crossing New Horizons (2020) : no numbers were given but it was assuredly above Pokémon.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
For the first 2/3 days, here are the last few years for NSW:

Nintendo Switch Software | 2/3-Day Opening Global Sell-Through

OCT 17 - SMO 2M - Source
NOV 18 - LGPE 3M - Source
DEC 18 - SSBU 5M - Source
NOV 19 - SWSH 6M - Source

I am archiving these. Anyone have any others - let me know!

ACNH is unknown, but based on the reporting we did have, it should be the highest on this list, around 6.5-7M.

I agree, BOTW2 will be the largest when it launches for Nintendo. Expecting 8-10M global for the first 2-3 days, with ~9-12% coming from JP. Install base will be massive (>100M in Sep-Dec 2021 time frame) and WOM for BOTW is among the best ever seen in the industry. LTD is trickier, but I'd wager 20-25M, compared to BOTW's >35M.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Pokemon RBG vs Pokemon GS would be the closest comparison to the sales patterns of Botw and Botw2.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Botw 2, depends how the game looks, how it's received and marketed of course. But i feel like the potential for week 1 sales is really high. Not without mentionning it will launch at the best time, in 2021 after a huge year but still while the Switch is driving fast.

It will definitely beat Odyssey and Let's go. Should be able to match SSBU i think and do around 5 millions.

Edit : Actually, i think it could go and beat Pokemon. Botw as a brand is gigantic and game still attracts new players to fall in love with it every year. 6+ is possible. Imagine it outsells most Zelda games in a single week. Don't think it will come close to Botw's total as it's a sequel and they usually sell less and Botw will have the entire Switch cycle to sell. But i think it can get to 20 millions if it's really well received.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
How big will be the install base when BOTW2 comes out? We know that the Switch base is very active. That BOTW has an awesome wom and it even helped a Mussou to became the best selling game of the genre instantly and without a doubt make it KT best selling game ever before the new year. If the game is good and received to the same avail as the first one, yeah It can open huge.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
How big will be the install base when BOTW2 comes out? We know that the Switch base is very active. That BOTW has an awesome wom and it even helped a Mussou to became the best selling game of the genre instantly and without a doubt make it KT best selling game ever before the new year. If the game is good and received to the same avail as the first one, yeah It can open huge.
100mil or above unless the switch drops off a cliff. BOTW2 is a December game most likely.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Botw 2, depends how the game looks, how it's received and marketed of course. But i feel like the potential for week 1 sales is really high. Not without mentionning it will launch at the best time, in 2021 after a huge year but still while the Switch is driving fast.

It will definitely beat Odyssey and Let's go. Should be able to match SSBU i think and do around 5 millions.

Edit : Actually, i think it could go and beat Pokemon. Botw as a brand is gigantic and game still attracts new players to fall in love with it every year. 6+ is possible. Imagine it outsells most Zelda games in a single week. Don't think it will come close to Botw's total as it's a sequel and they usually sell less and Botw will have the entire Switch cycle to sell. But i think it can get to 20 millions if it's really well received.

AoC just shipped 3mil,BotW2 in comparison if it's a nov/dec release especially will be 10mil ship+digital.

here is hoping, install base should at that time be 95mil+

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Breath of the Wild 2 won't have any problem in selling 8m+ first week. It is going to be one of the most anticipated games of the generation. The original game has a terrific word-of-mouth and is THE Switch game for a more core audience, lots of people still buying it after almost 4 years. Of course it depends on reception but honestly I can't doubt on Nintendo on this sequel.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Remember back in 2017 when due to the excitement for BotW everyone assumed BotW 2 would have a shorter development cycle to capitalize on the success? Welp, we're looking at a bare minimum of 4 years between BotW and BotW 2 with a pretty high chance of it being 4 years and a half. Keep in Mind BotW began development in 2013 so it had 4 years of development.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Remember back in 2017 when due to the excitement for BotW everyone assumed BotW 2 would have a shorter development cycle to capitalize on the success? Welp, we're looking at a bare minimum of 4 years between BotW and BotW 2 with a pretty high chance of it being 4 years and a half. Keep in Mind BotW began development in 2013 so it had 4 years of development.
I never assumed that.

and I felt after it showed it's tremendous sales and legs. We should've probably consider that a Next 3D Zelda game could take a bit longer

m051293

Oct 29, 2017

Not only that, but we know Nintendo's been growing staff (no idea on specifics of Aonuma's group though) and I'm sure Nintendo's gotten even looser with their pockets considering NSW sales success, BOTW sales success (new high for the franchise by factor of 2x and still going strong), and BOTW critical success. BOTW was produced with a lengthy dev cycle (much of which was learning curve for large scale HD development + engine foundation) in the Wii U generation. This thing is going to have a similar dev time by the looks of it with that foundation already being there, so I imagine they are planning to go even bigger than before.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Not only that, but we know Nintendo's been growing staff (no idea on specifics of Aonuma's group though) and I'm sure Nintendo's gotten even looser with their pockets considering NSW sales success, BOTW sales success (new high for the franchise by factor of 2x and still going strong), and BOTW critical success. BOTW was produced with a lengthy dev cycle (much of which was learning curve for large scale HD development + engine foundation) in the Wii U generation. This thing is going to have a similar dev time by the looks of it with that foundation already being there, so I imagine they are planning to go even bigger than before.
I don't want to be pessimistic but they have one of the best if not the best game of all time to top it really needs to be on a scale never before seen from Nintendo. I wonder what the budget is for Botw2; the original game needed to break 2mil to break even.
while we are talking about ww opening what do we think launch numbers could be in Japan?

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
Lol a single player game with legs stronger legs than almost any Game period? A game in which is gonna sell way over 30mil lifetime......

my friend, BotW2 is going to open up better than almost every Nintendo game ever ;)

I'm not talking about Nintendo only though. There are other games like GTAV, RDR2 and COD games that have gigantic first week.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to be pessimistic but they have one of the best if not the best game of all time to top it really needs to be on a scale never before seen from Nintendo. I wonder what the budget is for Botw2; the original game needed to break 2mil to break even.

Pretty sure it was discussed in this thread that the "2M units to break even" quote was a complete mistranslation/misunderstanding of something Miyamoto actually said. I wouldn't latch onto that as any kind of real figure.

while we are talking about ww opening what do we think launch numbers could be in Japan?

700K-1M range I think. ~10% of global launch of 8-10M.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I'm not talking about Nintendo only though. There are other games like GTAV, RDR2 and COD games that have gigantic first week.

Do you think all those games would have those sales without being multiplat and a huge usebase At the time of release?

I mean yes launch sales would be huge as hell and rival best launch exclusives But that's not even being close to fair. Then if I may add on to the fact those are literally the biggest launch games.
Actually I have to see with COD but even so outside of those 3 franchises I think next biggest launches are Pokémon games

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Damn am i lowballing Switch that much lol. Kinda hard to see PS5's numbers, feel like 2nd week will tank but it will pick up after that.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2019 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

NSW: 179.992
PS4: 7.073
3DS: 1.073
XB1: 110
PSV: 23

04./00. [PS4] Shenmue III <ADV> (Deep Silver) {2019.11.19} (¥6.980) - 17.857 / NEW <60-80%>
24./00. [PS4] Deemo Reborn <ACT> (Unties) {2019.11.21} (¥3.980) - 2.725 / NEW <40-60%>
26./00. [PS4] Sid Meier's Civilization VI <SLG> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2019.11.22} (¥6.300) - 2.039 / NEW <20-40%>

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2019 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

NSW: 179.992
PS4: 7.073
3DS: 1.073
XB1: 110
PSV: 23

04./00. [PS4] Shenmue III <ADV> (Deep Silver) {2019.11.19} (¥6.980) - 17.857 / NEW <60-80%>
24./00. [PS4] Deemo Reborn <ACT> (Unties) {2019.11.21} (¥3.980) - 2.725 / NEW <40-60%>
26./00. [PS4] Sid Meier's Civilization VI <SLG> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2019.11.22} (¥6.300) - 2.039 / NEW <20-40%>
I thought this was this year for a solid 10 seconds

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020

BOTW started (at least preliminary) development shortly after Skyward Sword in 2011; the 3D Zelda team is never not working on the next one. So it was around 5.5 years, though it would have probably been just 5 if they didn't need to make a Switch version.

(If they started development in 2013 then the original 2015 release date would make no sense, there's no way they were targeting a 2 year dev cycle for a massive open world game.)

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Xbox series keeps selling out asap in Japan, no idea how much they managed to ship last week tho

Going with 5k.