Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Well last time PS platform had more than few million sellers was on PS2. Even PSP that sold over 20 million units hw had only MH titles as million sellers ( well I guess Dissidia could be over a million as gamedatalibary shows it at 995k).
Yesh that is a bit sad. I knew the PS3 was lacking in million sellers but I always assumed the PSP was over flowing with them for some reason.

Well this gen has had digital from the start so that will Inevitably reduce this number if you only look at digital. I think overall the software for ps4 is up on ps3 so it doesn't really matter how it's spread around.

Ps3 had less 1m sellers then ps4 and there's potential for more to be added.
I don't really know if I'd say there is any potential for more PS4 million sellers other than FF7 remake. And I'm not sure where the dice will fall on that one till we see what ore orders look like

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yet games like Judge Eyes (Sega), Code Vein (Bandai Namco), Left Alive (Square Enix) and Octopath Traveler (Square Enix) clearly look like games that weren't made for the West as a focus.
Last Alive turns a SRPG series into a shooter and you tell me it's not western focus? I'm not sure about Octopath. My impression is that pixel art is a bigger deal in the west than in Japan. Code Vein is Bamco's Dark Souls, guess where all the Dark Souls fans are.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Left Alive isn't focused on anybody. Don't know what they're thinking with that one.

To be fair, nobody thought that taking a dead franchise like Nier and putting a developer known for making underperforming games was a good idea, but look how that turned out.

When they first revealed the game it looked like they were trying to fill the MGSV void, but from what i've seen from the game that's not what they're going for. It does have bomba written all over it though, we'll see.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Left Alive isn't focused on anybody. Don't know what they're thinking with that one.
It's so painfully obvious how badly this is gonna flop worldwide, it's like watching an aeroplane losing all engines in the middle of an ocean in slow motion. You would think after Front Mission Evolved they would have taken their lesson, but it's Senix we are talking about here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Last Alive turns a SRPG series into a shooter and you tell me it's not western focus?

A game that has mechs and is less than two weeks away from release with hardly any advertising for the West but had plenty of official Japanese Square Enix livestreams is Western focused?

You remember how Western focused MHW was right? There is nothing even resembling a Western focus with Left Alive.

I'm not sure about Octopath. My impression is that pixel art is a bigger deal in the west than in Japan.

This is ironic considering that you had the majority of era complaining they wouldn't pay full price for a 2D game.

If pixel art was a bigger deal, then the biggest selling Final Fantasy games wouldn't be the ones made in 3D.

Code Vein is Bamco's Dark Souls, guess where all the Dark Souls fans are.

It's Anime Souls, and Dark Souls is also popular in Japan. You think that to reach the widest audience in the West would be to make the game look like some edgy anime in artstyle? When Dark Souls and even Bloodborne looks nothing like that?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Left Alive is basically them trying to get some money from MGS fans. I mean, it even has Shinkawa art. If anything, it's weird how this game was barely promoted in the west considering my first impression of it was that they wanted to appeal to the "I want japanese games on my next gen system" crowd.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Left Alive is basically them trying to get some money from MGS fans. I mean, it even has Shinkawa art. If anything, it's weird how this game was barely promoted in the west considering my first impression of it was that they wanted to appeal to the "I want japanese games on my next gen system" crowd.

My theory is that Square Enix is targeting the type of gamers who follow games closely online and don't need to spend a bunch of marketing dollars to reach, which would explain the lack of marketing for games like DQXI and Left Behind.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Even the Metal Gear Solid fans don't know this game exists.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A game that has mechs and is less than two weeks away from release with hardly any advertising for the West but had plenty of official Japanese Square Enix livestreams is Western focused?

You remember how Western focused MHW was right? There is nothing even resembling a Western focus with Left Alive.

This is ironic considering that you had the majority of era complaining they wouldn't pay full price for a 2D game.

If pixel art was a bigger deal, then the biggest selling Final Fantasy games wouldn't be the ones made in 3D.

It's Anime Souls, and Dark Souls is also popular in Japan. You think that to reach the widest audience in the West would be to make the game look like some edgy anime in artstyle? When Dark Souls and even Bloodborne looks nothing like that?
You think live stream is promotion? It's literally free. My guess is the game went through some internal testing and people at marketing department simply decided it's not worth marketing.

Octopath is never meant to be FF, aka appealing to casual gamer. It's target is hardcore JRPG fan, and only in the west do JRPG fans crave for pixel art.

Anime Souls is still Souls, the game's design and promotion clearly show that it aims for the Souls fanbase. The team behind tje game has always been working on anime style, it also suits the low quality asset better. Hell I'd say most people who buy Bamco anime games are from the west anyway.

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath is never meant to be FF, aka appealing to casual gamer. It's target is hardcore JRPG fan, and only in the west do JRPG fans crave for pixel art.

So, you're saying they focused on the west because a niche fanbase craves pixel fan art when those same hardcore people you would find here on ERA complain how the game is full price.

Brilliant strategy of maximising sales.

Anyway, I'll stop wasting my time with anecdotes here. Even the staff who made the game said it wasn't made with western gamers in mind.

You think live stream is promotion? It's literally free. My guess is the game went through some internal testing and people at marketing department simply decide it's not worth marketing.

So it still has no western focus.

Anime Souls is still Souls, the game's design and promotion clearly show that it aims for the Souls fanbase. The team behind tje game has always been working on anime style, it also suits the low quality asset better. Hell I'd say most people who buy Bamco anime games are from the west anyway.

Only the most popular anime sells better in the west than in Japan. You're not going to see the Girls und Panzer game from Bandai Namco sell better in the west if they ever localise it.

That's why all the anime games that Bandai Namco release in the west are from Shonen stuff like Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece. Stuff that became popular from the anime/manga first in the west.

That same reasoning doesn't apply to something like Code Vein. There's been Souls clones already and they sold like crap because the fanbase only follows what From Software makes.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I wish Nintendo were releasing more new IP with the Switch, but at least there's ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Labo and Splatoon is still a relatively young IP as well. It's got loads of potential in that respect whereas it just seems Playstation hasn't anymore and Sony and third parties don't seem to care thanks to the opportunities the West provides. Which strikes me as a huge shame.

they release 2-4 new IP each year

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against an expanded universe of genres for Front Mission. the comics for the series focus on foot soldiers so it's not completely out of left field. but it's clear SE didn't want to dump enough money into it and suffered as a result

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
What new IP are they releasing this year?
Not to dog pile. I'd say Astral chain and Town are the two most obvious. I'd say Daemon X Machina would not exist or at least not be anywhere close to its current state; if it werent for Nintendo. There may be a surprise or two still left for a new ip pr project.

While not wholly new, Super Mario Maker released its first entry in 2015. The series is still really new and I think they will bring a lot of exciting new features to the game. I expect the game to evolve like SSB64 did with Melee and Splatoon did with Splatoon 2.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
oh I'd forgotten Town.
But I'm not clear on the publishing/funding/ownership situation of that game.

The copyright didn't mention Nintendo I believe

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
astral chain is a Nintendo ip, just like Bloodborne is a Sony one

wonderful 101 is 101% nintendo though

Nintendo always shares IP with creators. Kirby is Nintendo/HAL, Fire Emblem is Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, Pokemon is Nintendo/Game Freak/Creatures, Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain are Nintendo/PlatinumGames etc

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The demographic were the friends we left alive on the way.
41carZiACoL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017

Code Vein is what you get when you try to clone something without understanding a single thing about what made the original thing popular