• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Gee, then i think my copy of mania plus is not "must play" on my ps4...

Play sonic mania plus only on switch or its not worth your money!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if anything can be done to get them to walk this feature back, considering how it makes absolutely no sense when comparing most games that are reviewed across multiple platforms. We already have to face that MC's weighting system and separate platform review aggregation is flawed to begin with. Now this label re-enforces its flaws?

Metacritic didn't need ANOTHER reason, as to why Opencritic owns its ass.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry everyone, but I value Metacritic scores.

Sorry Metacritic but only I decide what I 'must play', regardless of score.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, now we will get even more complaining about review scores.
"How dare you rate this game a 7/10?!?! Now it's no longer a must play!!!"

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
It is fine. There are a lot of games every month and so little time. The easiest way to filter potential mediocre/boring/low quality games are review scores. Try all must play games and if there is nothing fun then you can check lower score games or just better check last year/month must play games. Easy.

At most I have time to play one or two games per month so its better be the best one.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure, let's make gamers melt the servers even more when a console gets a 90 must play game while the other console gets a 89 score game and suddenly it's not a must play. Review scores matter only to the people who are too lazy to read the actual reviews, and unfortunately also became a great tool to get unusually high amount of attention to your site (see Jim Sterling's random 1s and 2s to otherwise well received games).

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's an arbitrary bullshit mark. Every game is a must-play to someone and no game is a must-play to everyone. Opinions, tastes, how do they work ?

They want you to treat their rankings exactly how you shouldn't. A wrtied opinion about a game, a critic, stays the most valuable compared to scores.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Super Smash Bros Brawl is a must play, now everyone will be forced to admit it's a good game and better than Melee. It's okay, you'll come to love it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
As long as old games aren't included, and trick someone that GTA4 is a must play.

Fk8ASZc.jpg

Ok, this has got to stop. Against!

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
So messed up.

I mean look at NieR: Automata - Become as Gods Edition.

Rated 90, and according to Metacritic, it's a "must-play".

Yet, it's the same game that's on PS4 and PC. So not "must-play" on the original platforms and where it is most-played?

This system doesn't work.

This. Identical games having different metacritic scores has always been odd. This just reinforces how weird it is. It's also a little odd that a massive AAA game launching to the market with 100 critic reviews to an 89 aggregate misses the cutoff for a "must play" while the niche or smaller game that gets 15-20 lifetime reviews at a 90 aggregate gets the badge of honor. Time to go back to the drawing board and think of something a little more fleshed-out.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so stupid of them to list the same games for the different consoles multiple times.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This sets a bad precedent, what does it say about games rated below 90?

The number difference is enough for any person to notice the supposed quality difference between titles.

It is sad but the precedent was set ages ago. The obligatory threads with people betting on MC review scores/ranges before a game comes out don't help either IMO but they still occur. I don't understand them.

I don't like when things are boiled down to numbers or constructs. I have a friend who adores Mass Effect: Andromeda, bought it on her own as she was just becoming a gamer based on a random positive review she was forwarded. She played it and absolutely love it and that led her to the first trilogy which she loved as well. All these experiences because she read an entire review, weighed out her reaction to another player's nuanced written reaction, and took a gamble.

I don't share as favorable of a take on that game but we have had cool conversations about it that were real palpable opinions exchanged that she wouldn't and I wouldn't have had had she looked at a score and said "naw". I don't like Rotten Tomatoes for this reason either. It's a lazy way to develop a sense of taste in my opinion. You should find trustworthy people you don't necessarily agree with all the time but approach things in a similar way and have similar preferences and determine value propositions based off that. That would be an optimum way to take part.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
It's actually really, really tough to break the 90+ barrier nowadays.

Exclusives wise:

PlayStation 4 ~ Bloodborne, God of War, Persona 5, Shadow of the Colossus and Uncharted 4.
Switch ~ Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Oddssey.
Xbox One ~ Forza Horizon 3.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All these different versions getting different scores is so stupid. Guess I shouldnt buy the PC/PS4 version of Celeste, Dead Cells or Inside they're not must play.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
All these different versions getting different scores is so stupid.
Not sure about that.
A game can have issues on platform A that are simply not present (or less relevant) on platform B.

When things like that happen (say, the infamous Bayonetta PS3 conversion) I see nothing wrong in average scores reflecting those differences.

(though, please note I'm definitely NOT a fan of aggregators)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Really should he 85 or higher.

Nah. 90+ is its own category.

Having mostly 9/10 reviews it means getting more 9.X or 10 reviews than 8.X or lower.

A majority of 8/10, and more 9/10s and 10/10s than 7/10 or lower can net a game an 85. The scale isn't linear - the difference between 85 and 90 is huge in terms of reviews.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic needs to die, or to completely change.

- game on one platform 90 (must play)
- same game on different platform 89 (not must play)
- some publications weight much more than many others
- Stephens sausage roll 90 must play (9 reviews); Nier 88 (101 reviews). Where s barrier to entry, like 30 reviews or something?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Not sure about that.
A game can have issues on platform A that are simply not present (or less relevant) on platform B.

When things like that happen (say, the infamous Bayonetta PS3 conversion) I see nothing wrong in average scores reflecting those differences.

(though, please note I'm definitely NOT a fan of aggregators)
It's also that a late release on another platform might have added dlc content or further refinements to improve it's reception.

Alternatively, positive WoM might improve the general perception and give it a chance at higher scores.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I remember the days when review scores meant nothing. Good days..

DA: I won the award but we all know it belongs to Shadow of Mordor

Nah. I played both, and enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition far more. So much, that I spent 182 hours on the main game, and 231h in total with the DLCs included. Whereas I dropped Shadow of Mordor after getting only six trophies from it. That being said, I probably wouldn't enjoy DA:I nowhere near as much now, that the open world fatigue has set in.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Horrific idea, but i can see from their point of view, they need that badge of honour to give to games, so that they think they have more power. Its makes sense but im not a fan.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic needs to die, or to completely change.

- game on one platform 90 (must play)
- same game on different platform 89 (not must play)
- some publications weight much more than many others
- Stephens sausage roll 90 must play (9 reviews); Nier 88 (101 reviews). Where s barrier to entry, like 30 reviews or something?

Or we could let gamers make their own mind on what constitute a worthwhile game on Metacritic :)
I personally value EDGE much more. I agree with them 90% of the time.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Only a few words come to mind: L O fuckin L

Like people need to be comforted in their FOMO ffs.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Eh, it would be better to have list with of games of score of 85 or greater, number of 90 or greater score is too small.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gamifying review averages to an even greater extent just takes away the content of games criticism to an even greater degree

Who needs nuance when we can put everything into a number?

It also makes it easier for people to hound any outliers, and it changes the reviewers perspective when reviewing a game

It means some reviews may score a game higher or lower than they actually believe the game should score, because they believe others will mark the game too high or too low and want to use their review to manipulate the meta to what they believe the score should truly be

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
well this is going to lead to a healthy and non aggressive discussion online over the entertainment we consume!

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know why people are against Metacritic.

I always use Metacritic to find game I might have forgot about or missed.

I usually check games I haven't heard of or forgot about that are 79 to 100.

Me too!

Review scores can be useful beyond confirmation bias and console warz, and everything on that list is solid. The copy is what matters, but numbers do get your attention - which is great for games and genres I wouldn't pay attention to otherwise.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
RT has a Certified Fresh badge... that goes all the way to 70%.
I know, and I thought it was clear when I quoted them by name. However, Certified Fresh means nothing, it's only invented, neutral jargon to distinguish between critical hits and the rest of the market. Metacritic already does that with the "Universal Acclaim" tag under the score. Now they're adding a very clear and select term, which intentionally or not, by telling us what's a "must", it also tells us what's not. That's wrong to me, and it could be easily avoidable adopting the same "Universal Acclaim" now in use, less lesive for those works not getting there.

Oct 29, 2017
It's almost like they're doubling down on years of criticism.

I think they're doing this because of the criticism; and because various media outlets are fighting back against review scores.

They're taking back power by use of force here and are looking to strongarm publishers and media outlets into supporting them, by further increasing the influence of review scores as the only metric that matters.

Make no mistake, this is an entirely self-serving and malicious act. Metacritic know exactly what they're doing here; they want publisher bonuses to be based on their rankings and they want users to just look at their website review scores and ignore the review text. There's valuable bribe money and ad revenue to be won here!