• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
Kind of a vent post but I'm giving up on the Big Boss trophy for MGS2… for now. I'm just not good enough for some of the bosses at the moment and it's sucked enough time out of me. The eight saves limit is really what kills me. Still love the game and looking forward to starting MGS3 after my vacation.
I lied. Got it last night! Just needed a break like I often do with difficult games.

View: https://i.imgur.com/0gnVAhG.png

dqslime

May 5, 2023
Thanks!

Starting MGS3 Foxhound... is there no way to pause the game such that the timer doesn't run? I'm not worried about the time limit because five hours is a joke (most video guides finish it in under two), but it's kind of annoying that I can't do anything about the timer if I want to look something up.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Thanks!

Starting MGS3 Foxhound... is there no way to pause the game such that the timer doesn't run? I'm not worried about the time limit because five hours is a joke (most video guides finish it in under two), but it's kind of annoying that I can't do anything about the timer if I want to look something up.
I'm playing through the game for the first time right now and even if I knew everywhere to go I can't imagine beating this under 2 hours. I'll have to watch one of those

dqslime

May 5, 2023
I'm playing through the game for the first time right now and even if I knew everywhere to go I can't imagine beating this under 2 hours. I'll have to watch one of those

If you know where to go + skip cutscenes and codec calls, MGS games are very short (well, 1-4 are). Big Boss/Foxhound rank guides play aggressively, meaning there's not a lot of sneaking or waiting, just knowing where to go and what to do to avoid being detected while moving through the maps. I believe a lot of them cheese bosses as well, but I'm not quite there yet for 3. For example, I know you can beat The Fear non-lethaly in less than a minute. I take my time though so I expect to beat MGS3 Foxhound in around three to four hours.

For MGS2, the cheese strategies I used (Vamp, Rays, Solidus) were not quick at all, just "safe".

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
If you know where to go + skip cutscenes and codec calls, MGS games are very short (well, 1-4 are). Big Boss/Foxhound rank guides play aggressively, meaning there's not a lot of sneaking or waiting, just knowing where to go and what to do to avoid being detected while moving through the maps. I believe a lot of them cheese bosses as well, but I'm not quite there yet for 3. For example, I know you can beat The Fear non-lethaly in less than a minute. I take my time though so I expect to beat MGS3 Foxhound in around three to four hours.

For MGS2, the cheese strategies I used (Vamp, Rays, Solidus) were not quick at all, just "safe".
Yeah, I guess if you do cut out cutscenes, codecs, and sneaking, there's really not a lot left!

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
What the hell is this crackling/static-y/popping sound I'm hearing at various points in Metal Gear Solid 3 (on Switch)?

I got a used soundbar recently so I didn't know if it was that or the game at first...definitely the game though.

There was also, I think maybe in the last third of the game (after the torture), a tapping sound when I opened the survival viewer. But this one was what rhythmic. Like tap tap tap TAP tap tap tap TAP ... only happened on a couple different occasions for me, not every time.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
Got the Foxhound rank in MGS3, and thus platinum'd the collection (not interested in the MSX games at the moment). MGS3 Foxhound was a breeze compared to MGS2. 25 saves and more tools (the different camos) make the experience challenging but not frustrating. I'd recommend giving it a shot.