• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Animation looks weird at parts. You can hear someone talking at parts, but the mouths don't move as if this was supposed to be a visual novel.

Keziaka6591

Jan 31, 2023
While I can't get into Persona I love SMT and I always at least appreciate their art direction and style but something about this is just....not looking good? It's like there's no consistency to designs or something idk. I genuinely hate looking at it lol.

Hope people enjoy, though. I'll be happy with SMTV:V

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
There was some Q&A in the Japanese stream and nothing really significant from the parts I saw but they did confirm there is no romance option for social link type of thing in this game.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There was some Q&A in the Japanese stream and nothing really significant from the parts I saw but they did confirm there is no romance option for social link type of thing in this game.
Its always such an afterthought in Persona but damn. I was hoping they'd evolve that system.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Fire Emblem Three Houses looking ass graphics. What was the budget for this? Looks interesting beyond that though.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Given the context of the game, that makes sense. You seem to mostly interact with people to rally them to your cause and ideal. The harem thing would be so weird lol.

Also it seems there is you the player and the MC, they are separate. Apparently you, the player, give answers but the MC can also gives his input. Can't remember the source for this, so it on X.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Will be getting this one later down the line... maybe in a couple of years once it's cheaper. But it looks so amazing.

Also I've only played P5 but the romance was really minimal to begin with so I don't feel too bad with it removed altogether

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
now knowing that the game only uses real-time combat for enemies that are lower level than the player, keeping the full turn-based combat for all other fights, I rewatched the trailer and man, the trailer just is not helping getting this information across. All it shows is the real-time combat. There might be snippets of the turn-based combat somewhere in there, but it would only be for certain attack animations, and shit is just super unclear.

There is likely to be more trailers for this game, so it's not the end of the world, but still, I feel like Atlus did a real disservice to themselves with the footage that they chose for this trailer. After seeing it yesterday, I had basically completely written off the game because of that.

Hopefully they show the real combat system more in-depth in the remaining trailers before the game launches.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Given the context of the game, that makes sense. You seem to mostly interact with people to rally them to your cause and ideal. The harem thing would be so weird lol.

Is a king even a king without a harem?

/s lol

I'm honestly here for no romance options, even if I do enjoy it as an option in the Persona games.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The art direction in this game is so good. Haven't been following it too closely. I don't like the MC though. He looks like a fucking nerd.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to see so many people upset about lack of romance options as it's one of my least favorite parts of the persona games. P3Reload adding platonic paths for links was a huge step in the right direction for me.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Kinda weird to see so many people upset about lack of romance options as it's one of my least favorite parts of the persona games. P3Reload adding platonic paths for links was a huge step in the right direction for me.
4 and 5 also had platonic paths though. Only 3 before reload forced romance if you did a girl's social link.

People that are happy about there not being romance are weirder to me because you can just not do it if you don't want to.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
4 and 5 also had platonic paths though. Only 3 before reload forced romance if you did a girl's social link.

People that are happy about there not being romance are weirder to me because you can just not do it if you don't want to.
I mean every Persona romance game reminded me queerness doesn't begin till after high school or something so idk :')

But then again your right most romance in these games are boring to me anyway

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No romances is a huge bummer but not a dealbreaker.
It's strange because in some respects they are leaning hard into the Persona DNA and in others they are firmly walking away from them. Which is fine, of course, but I'm curious how the final thing will feel as an evolution of their past work.

Why does everyone always default to calling it some kind of "harem thing" when talking about romance options in these games? Every Persona release since the original P3 has discouraged any type of cheating. The vast majority of players pick one romance and stick with it.
And like... romances are fun in video games. People like them.
I actually had an idea for a thread about this but scrapped it because it felt too aimless once I wrote it all down. lol

now knowing that the game only uses real-time combat for enemies that are lower level than the player, keeping the full turn-based combat for all other fights, I rewatched the trailer and man, the trailer just is not helping getting this information across. All it shows is the real-time combat. There might be snippets of the turn-based combat somewhere in there, but it would only be for certain attack animations, and shit is just super unclear.

There is likely to be more trailers for this game, so it's not the end of the world, but still, I feel like Atlus did a real disservice to themselves with the footage that they chose for this trailer. After seeing it yesterday, I had basically completely written off the game because of that.

Hopefully they show the real combat system more in-depth in the remaining trailers before the game launches.
tbf the previous trailers clearly showed turn-based combat and this one was tied to a presentation that goes into detail on how it works.
But that aside, I do agree with you. The trailers for this game have not done a great job at selling it. I'm also kinda confused at why all the trailers act like the game isn't releasing on Playstation. I get that Xbox has the marketing rights in some kind of deal but I've never seen that result in them actively NOT listing Playstation in the videos on Atlus' channel directly. I keep seeing people not even realizing the game is multi-platform. This whole marketing for this title has been weird.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
No romance option is amazing holy shit. Maybe the characters will be better written as a result.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
No romance option is amazing holy shit. Maybe the characters will be better written as a result.
No romance makes sense if the S-Links are supposed to be political allies. This opens the door to party members potentially having canon love interests in the story so it's not bad.

My general thoughts. Not having them all be available as options for the protag to woo means they can allow the characters to actually have agency outside of the players desires in ways that actually matter to the character. In my experience, Persona has largely not been good at balancing this, so from this perspective, It's preferred for me.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm personally glad to hear there are no romantic S.Links either--if romance was optional, it would mean many of them would have to be written with that in mind, meaning they'd still have to focus significantly on the MC's and the other character's personal relationship specifically.

Now we might get S.Links that explore the politics and ethics and philosophies of the game's world through the lens of the MC and the S.Link characters, which I think sounds much more interesting, not to mention character stories and arcs that focus potentially solely on the S.Link characters themselves, so more in-depth and involved character arcs are a possibility. Of course it's hardly a guarantee and we might still get the exact same sort of stuff the Persona games have had since 3, just without the blushy-crushies at the end, but I'm a bit more optimistic now.

My general thoughts. Not having them all be available as options for the protag to woo means they can allow the characters to actually have agency outside of the players desires in ways that actually matter to the character. In my experience, Persona has largely not been good at balancing this, so from this perspective, It's preferred for me.

And this, too. Like, I love a good romance as much as anyone, but I want it to feel like it matters, I don't want any more of the hollow fantasies the Persona games offer.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Apparently the game is using P5 engine. This is 100% believable since it sure does not look super advanced on a technical level. But still looks cool to me thanks to stunning art direction.
Wonder why they decided to skip switch. It doesn't look like it requires switch 2 to run and there are a gazillion switches sold already.
Really. With p5 engine they could at least try to develop a switch1 version. Anyway l Will probabily buy for ps5 if switch2 Will be really far off as It seems

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They are a big reason why games like Persona and Fire Emblem blew up. People like that stuff.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
They are a big reason why games like Persona and Fire Emblem blew up. People like that stuff.
They like it not just in JRPGs, Baldurs Gate 3 and for a time Bioware games I feel it's fair to say that some significant part of that popularity is cause of basically romance implementation.

It's kinda funny cause I feel there is def this association of romance type stuff at least for me to the VN roots and it being a niche thing but always kinda remind myself that nah if the package around it is appealing it seems like it's an element in games that does a lot for player investment.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So I had zero interest in this and then someone linked the battle theme.

It's like the fucking sequel soundtrack to Strange Journey I never knew I needed

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
Ot7P0xP.gif
Hot take, this is pretty messy and is visually overstimulating.

Trigger