• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There was just a patch on Steam (1.8GB).
Am I crazy or does DLSS look sharper now?

Native 1440p
metroexodus_2019_02_25dkqv.png

1440p DLSS
metroexodus_2019_02_2x0j6y.png

Two more examples

1440p
1440p DLSS

Is it just a sharpening Filter?

Edit
Dictator maybe something for you to look into.
They looks more compariable in these two images than I have ever seen before.

Regarding wheter or not it is "just a sharpening" filter - I will look, probably even ask. But as a reminder, all TAA pretty much uses a post-sharpening step these days.

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
I guess my R9 390 is going to struggle a lot with playing this in 1440p. Medium should work, but as I know myself I won't be really happy with the graphics. Probably I should play it in 1080p and high/ultra? No idea what will look worse/better.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Epic client is downloading a new 4.11gb patch for metro.
Any idea where to find the patch notes?
I can't find them.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I think the patch improves DLSS a lot (just look at the pictures).
Unfortunately the HDR + DLSS gamma bug is still there.

4k 0.7 scaling

4k DLSS

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit with 1440p DSLL.
I think it's mostly okay now tbh.
Not as good as native, but way better.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
No idea if it's a PC-specific problem or a general bug, but I'm playing the game in german and people talk over each other all the time. Midway through a sentence another guy starts their voice line and the animations play much faster than the sound lines, so the animation that belongs to the voice line is over but a lot of NPCs haven't even finished their sentence.
Is this a general problem?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I just loaded it up and did a quick back to back screen compare at native 4k vs dlss. It definitely looks more comparable than it previously did. I will do some back to back images with linear upscaled 1440p, 4K DLSS, 4K native and .7 in game scaler.

Interesting to note how you can see how DLSS functions much like other reconstruction techniques, it has some odd interaction with transparencies! Kinda neat.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the patch improves DLSS a lot (just look at the pictures).
Unfortunately the HDR + DLSS gamma bug is still there.

4k 0.7 scaling

4k DLSS
I really hope they fix HDR cause until they do, I'm sticking with pixel scaling, but I'm glad to see that they've already made some major improvements. Hopefully they get 21:9 support in there for people.

People were far too quick to write the whole technology off based on how it looked at launch.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I really hope they fix HDR cause until they do, I'm sticking with pixel scaling, but I'm glad to see that they've already made some major improvements. Hopefully they get 21:9 support in there for people.

People were far too quick to write the whole technology off based on how it looked at launch.
I switched to sdr just to test it, DLSS is completely fine now.
Not bad.

EDIT: maybe we need new drivers for the hdr bug.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I will do some testing later. I was wondering if you or John are going to do a comparison of DLSS and Sony PS4 pro checkerboard rendering? It would be an interesting to see which one is better.
That is a really hard to test up or comment on in any direct way, since we need like for like for like to really say something more than general impressions.

Also, all the reconstruciton we have seen so far is pretty diverse in implementation, apparent quality, and artifact types. I am not sure we could say reasonably that there is a representative of what "ps4pro checkerboarding" really is.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DLSS looks really good now. There is a slight over sharpening to my eyes, but the performance gain is worth it. Great job 4A.

Edit - whelp, it looks like there are some issues with distant reflections. I get flickering on the water in the Forest level (sorry for potato quality, but it's still readily visible). It looks way worse in game, almost pixelated.

DLSS ON:

DLSS OFF:

Last edited:

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
DLSS looks really good now. There is a slight over sharpening to my eyes, but the performance gain is worth it. Great job 4A.

Edit - whelp, it looks like there are some issues with distant reflections. I get flickering on the water in the Forest level (sorry for potato quality, but it's still readily visible). It looks way worse in game, almost pixelated.
Flickering it's there, I noticed myself.
But the DLSS image is now better than 4k with 0.7 scaling, noticeabely better, and that's amazing all considered..
I'll do some more test tomorrow.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
There was just a patch on Steam (1.8GB).
Am I crazy or does DLSS look sharper now?

Native 1440p
metroexodus_2019_02_25dkqv.png

1440p DLSS
metroexodus_2019_02_2x0j6y.png

Two more examples

1440p
1440p DLSS

Is it just a sharpening Filter?

Edit
Dictator maybe something for you to look into.

Whoa! Uh I'd say DLSS looks a lot better than native res in those pictures. Wonder what the aliasing is like in motion (My monitor is only 1080p so I wouldn't get the same effect)...

No idea if it's a PC-specific problem or a general bug, but I'm playing the game in german and people talk over each other all the time. Midway through a sentence another guy starts their voice line and the animations play much faster than the sound lines, so the animation that belongs to the voice line is over but a lot of NPCs haven't even finished their sentence.
Is this a general problem?

Happens in English for sure, although I get the feeling they're just talking over each other in a realistic way in English (not as if characters are reacting to a line of dialog mid-way).

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
A 2080 ti struggling at 1440p? Wow.

I'm probably sitting this one out until about 4080 ti. lol

I don't think struggling is the word here, ray tracing and tesselation are the major factors here. The 2080 Ti with those settings off and everything set to ultra gets pretty damn close to hitting a 60fps average at 4k resolution. Even with those settings on and cranked, it's perfectly playable at 1440p, IMO. I play at 3440x1440, set everything to it's max, DLSS off, RTX high and the 2080 ti is handling business...while keeping the max temps at 58c.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa! Uh I'd say DLSS looks a lot better than native res in those pictures. Wonder what the aliasing is like in motion (My monitor is only 1080p so I wouldn't get the same effect)...

There is a slight shimmering, "checkerboard like artifacts on very fine elements like a distant fence or fine hair strains and even a bit of aliasing on long "lines".
It's not too distracting tbh.

Anna's hair is a good example. If you also take a look at the typewriter keys you'll notice some slight aliasing. It's a fair enough trade off and maybe DLSS will get better over time? We'll see.

metroexodus_2019_02_2amja0.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always assume tesselation is a must for visuals. Does it make a big difference here or is it ok without it on?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Did the patch remove Denuvo? I heard it got cracked, I wonder if that could be part of the performance gain.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone rolling with a 1070/7600k/16 RAM combo

Still don't know if I should go for PC at 1440p or Xbone at 4K since I doubt my specs can hold 60 FPS

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Do you really feel it is "absolutely massive"? I know it adds a bit of depth and rounding but the perf impact is staggering... see here:

https://youtu.be/pYspV4SsWZ4
Of course the performance is staggering, it adds tessellation to nearly every object.

The tessellation distance though scales with the coarse controls for quality - so the range on tessellation is much lower on high than it is extreme.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course the performance is staggering, it adds tessellation to nearly every object.

The tessellation distance though scales with the coarse controls for quality - so the range on tessellation is much lower on high than it is extreme.
I see... do you have any insight into the AO differences between high and ultra? Seems to be the major difference, does this mainly affect indoors? 980ti struggling on ultra in Caspian

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think we have something here... (click for full size)

Native 4k

DLSS 4k

0.6x 4k (same performance as DLSS)
That is a measurable improvement on the launch IQ. There are some easy to spot differences on the trees contrasted with the sky (like those two leaning trees above the road in the distance) and a couple of edges that look slightly off, but it is now a clear improvement over 0.6. There's some minor sharpness artifacts I think (looking at that telegraph poll). It makes sense that where you have sub pixel detail on the 4K image, that DLSS has no hope of recreating that.

Obviously DLSS is still not touching native 4K IQ in this static scene, but it's certainly going to be preferable to the 0.6 scaling I'm currently using, when and if they fix HDR (like I said, I'm not giving up HDR at this point).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any link anyone can share which shows a difference (using screens) between Extreme/Ultra/High/Medium presets ?

I have been playing the game at 1080p High on my modest laptop with Tessellation On. Outside of some bugs like characters floating in the air, it's been mostly smooth sailing.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a way to have the AO from ultra and the shadows/shadow distance from high... is there any way to tweak in the .ini?

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
That is a measurable improvement on the launch IQ. There are some easy to spot differences on the trees contrasted with the sky (like those two leaning trees above the road in the distance) and a couple of edges that look slightly off, but it is now a clear improvement over 0.6. There's some minor sharpness artifacts I think (looking at that telegraph poll). It makes sense that where you have sub pixel detail on the 4K image, that DLSS has no hope of recreating that.

Obviously DLSS is still not touching native 4K IQ in this static scene, but it's certainly going to be preferable to the 0.6 scaling I'm currently using, when and if they fix HDR (like I said, I'm not giving up HDR at this point).
I'm playing in hdr too and I hope they fix the hdr bug very soon, as in motion artifacts aren't noticeable at all, while the difference with the 0.6 scaling is really huge.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm playing in hdr too and I hope they fix the hdr bug very soon, as in motion artifacts aren't noticeable at all, while the difference with the 0.6 scaling is really huge.
That's something I keep thinking about. Stability was about the only advantage DLSS had over 0.6 previously. As improved as these screens look, I imagine the difference in motion must be further notable still. Shots taken while the player is stood stationary help cover up a lot of the problems TLAA has in the first place, while obviously, being a lot easier to line up.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I think we have something here... (click for full size)

Native 4k

DLSS 4k

0.6x 4k (same performance as DLSS)
DLSS now nicely matches sharpness of native resolution, but I'm not a fan of water paint - like artifacts that it's producing on distant objects. I guess it's down to personal preference do you prefer sharper but slightly smudged look compared to blurrier but more natural shading scaler.

It's a shame that so little PC games feature temporal reconstruction, (besides recent Ubisoft titles and CoD WW2 I can't think of anything), because from what I've seen so far I'm not sure if DLSS actually does better job.

Last edited:

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
With the new patch I'm under the impression that the SSR start fading out a lot quicker on the edge of the screen
Performance are indeed better, a lot more stable without any hitch for now

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1798529872641041421/

Build numbers:

Steam build (verify in-game from Main Menu Options or Pause menu) – 1.0.0.1
Steam Store/exe version – 3574956

Patch Notes:

General Stability fixes
Optimization for Lower spec PC's
DLSS fixes and improvements to sharpness
Fixed wallmark vfx for DX11
RTX fixes and optimization
Added bugtrap support for reporting crashes to 4A Games
Benchmark tool fixes

Additional info:

The new bugtrap tool will detect a crash or other fatal error that may occur in the PC version. It will gather some limited data from your machine and prepare a report that you can send to 4A Games via the Metro Support site. No user identifiable information is collected, but the report can be fully reviewed before sending.

For controller lag reports on PC – If you have a high spec machine capable of running at high framerate, but have vsync in half, you will likely experience controller lag issues. The larger the difference between the possible framerate of a machine, and the vsync setting, the more lag you may experience. Please switch vsync to off or full to reduce these chances. We are continuing to investigate this issue.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap the DLSS has improved a lot. The problem with water reflections is a bit weird but I'll take that for a clearer image.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Wow.. what an improvement. DLSS looks much better than before. Probably not the best shot but yea...

Native 4K
32229190517_4033596ce1_o.png

4K DLSS
47171068351_17fd4b604a_o.png

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Finally got to try it out for myself. 4K DLSS does look way better than 4K 0.6x now in motion. For anyone wondering why talk about 0.6x its because that's the pixel scaling that gives you the same *performance* as DLSS.

If HDR wasn't a factor I'd say DXR high and DLSS is now the way you should be playing the game on a 4K display. IQ is solid and performance is good.