• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished my first play through with 15:24 and 77% of the items. I had some minor gripes with it but I loved this game. Reading through the thread, no lie I was scared about the final boss fight but it actually wasn't too bad. Took me about 7 tries. The first time I got to the boss' final phase, I cleared it right there. Felt freaking good

I caught myself grinning ear to ear as the credits were rolling. Minor gripes with the game includes the controls. Samus is fun to control in this game but it can get overloaded trying to use all her powers. The multiple button combos can get out of control sometimes. I never actually got comfortable with the grapple hook. Also I just wish missiles were a button by themselves instead of a toggle.

Great job by MercurySteam and Nintendo. Now even more hyped for whatever MercurySteam has in store next for Metroid. MP4 can't come soon enough.

Nintendo, stop being pricks and port all Metroid games to the Switch especially Samus Returns, I never actually finished that. Just never felt comfortable to me on the 3DS. Like a sucker, I'll buy it all again lol

Great Game. Well worth it. 👍
Personally I appreciate the skill required to get the controls down. It just takes time. Then again I love games that require patience/skill to master. Doom Eternal, MGSV. That's also why I shop at Dan Flashes. They have the most complicated shirt patterns. It's totally my style.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Man the movement in this game is so good. I need another new Mercury steam Metroid or even some randomizer dlc for this.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a randomizer mode to come from the developers themselves. Given certain things surrounding the game online though, I suspect fan attempts will be made and are likely already in the very early steps of researching the viability.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm sure it has been discussed to death but I hope we see this engine used again before a Metroid 6. I don't know what game I'd want remade in it - I suppose Fusion makes the most sense - but I don't want to wait years for the next story after waiting 19 for this one. I'm greedy, whatever.

I wonder if we're going to get any sort of updates to this game? I don't expect any story or anything but I'd love to get extra suits or something. Just aesthetics. I'm about to start my third playthrough so just having something different to look at would be cool.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first Hard playthrough with a 2:22:01!

iCs0m1d.jpeg

Even though bosses took a little longer to beat due to their increased HP, using the new sequence breaks and quick kills still saved me like 40 minutes over my first low % attempt on Normal.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
This fricken game has lived rent free in my head since release holy moly

I LOVE the speedruns! Oats, Samurai1man, etc. Its so beautiful to watch!

I love the map so much, watching the speedruns has shown me just how memorable every single room is. I wouldn't think this games rooms were memorable after my first run but they are.

I LOVE the mechanics. Nothing more needs to be said.

I LOVE LOVE the bosses! All of them including the repeated bosses were so much fun to fight! Using flash shift to get away at the right moment and land a counter attack was never not satifsying!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't mind some backtracking to Ghavoran and doing some shine spark nonsense, you can get a power-up that makes things way easier.

Alternatively, what I might recommend is saving your cloak for the underwater sections. Maneuver past the EMMI without being seen until you hit the water, then turn on the cloak and start walking to put as much distance between yourself and the robot as possible. The EMMI will investigate the area where you turn on the cloak, but will not follow you if you move while being cloaked. And the reduced speed while cloaked barely matters when you already move so slow underwater.

Also use the grapple beam to speed yourself up through the water once the cloak runs out.

Last edited:

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Red E.M.M.I. got robbed a emmi zone. Quite disheartening

EDIT:

My apologies on my initial post, I was not aware that the word used was considered offensive.

Last edited:

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I just finished the game and I think it's great. The only really bad things were the amount of EMMI and Chozo fights in the last 20% of the game. Less bosses, but more unique ones would be better imo. It's still a top 3 game of the year so far for me.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Hold R to charge storm missiles. From there it will lock any target in front of you, or you can aim with L to lock on whatever you are aiming at. As long as you hold R and you dont get hit you keep the charge and can release whenever. You can even move/jump/slide/flash shift while keeping your charge, pretty handy for the final boss.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game and I think it's great. The only really bad things were the amount of EMMI and Chozo fights in the last 20% of the game. Less bosses, but more unique ones would be better imo. It's still a top 3 game of the year so far for me.
One thing I'm surprised they didn't do was a double Chozo soldier fight.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish you could transfer a Storm Missile charge into a Power Bomb charge when you morph while holding R. I don't really care for how you have to morph and then charge the Power Bomb, wish it was just the ZR trigger like the Grapple Beam or something.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
Finished my first Hard playthrough with a 2:22:01!

iCs0m1d.jpeg

Even though bosses took a little longer to beat due to their increased HP, using the new sequence breaks and quick kills still saved me like 40 minutes over my first low % attempt on Normal.

Hard mode enemy/boss health values are actually the same as Normal. All that changes is the amount of damage they deal to you.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Things I would love to see as DLC...
  • Easy mode: Half damage from enemies, wider parry timing (especially for cutscene parries). Good way to make it more accessible.
  • Button remapping: Why this isn't already in the game baffles me.
  • Sound mix controls: Again, crazy this isn't already in the game.
  • Visible in-game timer/time scoreboard: It's annoying not being able to see in-game time without saving, quitting, and going back to the main menu. Likewise, it would be nice if players could compare their times with themselves and with everyone else.
  • Boss-rush mode: The bosses are fun. Why not allow people to fight all of them again in a row?
  • An optional super-boss: I know this isn't something Metroid usually does, but I think it would be a good way to highlight the strengths of Dread. Even just a powered up version of the final boss if you get 100% items like in Zero Mission.
  • A gauntlet that is nothing but environmental puzzles: The Shinespark puzzles in this game are wonderful. I would love seeing a Hollow Knight Path of Pain-style thing that emphasizes them.
  • Unique ending art for 0% completion: Was shocked this wasn't in the game already.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I love this game so so so much! I am at the last boss fight and I cant push myself to finish it because its over.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Some of these speed booster secrets is like "how the F they expect me to do that?"
If you think that in this game, oooh boy are the older games worse.
I actually love them here, mostly because controls are just so smooth and Samus is fun to control.
But some of the shinspark puzzles in Zero Mission for example?
Oof, they expect perct control from you, I simply wasn't able to 100% percent it because of that.
Here?
Thinking about 100%ing it again in the future.
But normal mode under 4 hours comes first.

Oct 27, 2017
Played Prime 1-3, but haven't played a 2D Metroid since Super Metroid back in the day. I saw some videos of the elaborate movement techniques in Dread and was persuaded to get the game.

Very glad I did. In particular, as I'm now at 84% items, I'll just mention that the movement abilities and environmental puzzles (perhaps especially the speedboost and the shinespark ones) are fantastic in this game. These enviro/traversal puzzles are (understandably) optional excursions from the critical path, for the most part, of course.

First you get the satisfaction of figuring out what to do (some clever design, even if exploration overall is not emphasized as much we'd like), and then the separate sense of accomplishment from pulling off the complex series of movements needed to actually navigate the terrain successfully (solve the environmental puzzle).

The credits seem to suggest there might have been more design collaboration with NCL devs than in the case of Prime (not actually sure, just a guess, from a brief comparison), but then again all of the 'Game Design' and 'Level Design' credits go to MS staff, so well done to them.

On the other hand, as I mentioned I haven't played 2D Metroid in a long time (also never played Fusion or Zero Mission), so I'm a bit fuzzy on the extent to which the movement abilities/upgrades & complexity of environmental puzzles might have been similar, in previous titles (I think just about all except Flash Shift were there, but not sure about implementation). Definitely more interested now in going back to try them.

I would love if Prime 4 could somehow make the speedbooster work... Maybe cut to 3rd person like they do with the morphball? Obviously that would be a massive design and engineering undertaking, but if anyone could pull it off it's Retro.
They also cut to third person with the Screw Attack. Though it'd be incredible if they could make the Speed Booster work in first-person, at least until you do a shine spark.
They should look to Titanfall and DOOM for inspiration—even if it has to be relegated to certain areas, having it focused on wall-running and other platforming would mitigate that restrictiveness. Phase Shift would be a good compromise if that's not available. The strafe dodging in past games already functioned like that, but without front-to-back movement.

Interesting to think about! I've heard good things about the traversal mechanics in Ghostrunner as well, haven't played it yet. And for 3rd person stuff, Cloudbuilt is extremely precise , despite the flashy look of high level gameplay.

Cloudbuilt, once you've fully got the controls down. You think Titanfall or Mirrors Edge had some slick wall running? You've not seen anything yet if you haven't played Cloudbuilt.

From the dev:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...gar_from_swedish_indie_dev_coilworks/dkujit9/
Haha! Appreciate it! :D Though, just so you get the right expectations. Unlike those games [Titanfall, Mirror's Edge] we use physics [in Super Cloudbuilt] to drive the movement even on walls, so there is a full 360 degree of movement, and no binary distinction between vertical and horizontal runs, and momentum/velocity is respected between moves and is a vital part of how you get around. It might be a bit of a learning process, but gives a lot of depth and many possibilities :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...e_journey_like_behind_a_game_6_years/duanmbw/
1: ...It's been a process of over 6 years, and it's always easier to see things after the fact. One of the biggest takeaways would probably have been to work on the tutorial and introduction of the game much earlier, as that proved to be a very difficult part. Teaching players new mechanics is very tough, especially if they on the surface might remind them of things they think they know from before. It might sound strange, but one of the biggest challenges for us was to teach players how wall running really works, as our wallruns are nothing like all the other games with them. Which brings me neatly on to question number two :D

2: There is actually video we made that explains the unique movement mechanics in the game. It might look interesting in a video, but what makes it really unique and what gives it the incredible depth takes a little more to explain, which we intend to do here: Super Cloudbuilt - Movement Mechanics Demonstration

To put it simple, there are no canned animations and fixed movements, everything is nuanced and actually physics inspired, meaning you have to use and build on momentum and speed. Every move is your own skill, and there are hundreds of ways to clear every challenge. Hope that sounds interesting :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...e_journey_like_behind_a_game_6_years/duah5u1/
...When it comes to new mechanics, things like that usually grow and change a lot as the development proceeded. It's a pretty organic process with a lot of iteration and testing, making it very hard to predict, and making something truly new while making sure it works really well takes a lot of time. In the case of Super Cloudbuilt, we spent a lot of time on technology, but designing the brand new movement mechanics was one of the biggest time sinks. The rocket parkour thing was a brand new thing when we started (actually announced it back in 2012, even before Titan Fall). We released Cloudbuilt in 2014, although happy with how it turned out, we continued to polish on it. When we then got the opportunity to start working on Super Cloudbuilt in 2015 we went back to the drawing board and re built pretty much everything, now with a clear end goal from the start. It took a lot of time to make that mechanic work well, but the end result is a very deep movement system where there is a lot of room for player expression and skill. We did a video covering what makes the movement in Super Cloudbuilt so unique if you are interested. Might help to give insight in the things we had to work on: https://youtu.be/rFxoZi16KC0

Every game is its own journey so we can't say anything definitive and general, but I hope you found that insightful :)

[0m50s]...You're in full control of every part of the movement, meaning that you have a lot of freedom, but it also means you have to earn it. In Super Cloudbuilt, one input equals one action. This is an important feature, meaning that there is no automization: everything you see and accomplish is a result of your own skill. So, what does this actually mean?

[1m50s]...What's even more important is the conversion of momentum between actions. If I run up on a wall and jump before I lose all my upward momentum, that momentum will carry over into the jump. Likewise if I ran up on a wall and that momentum fizzles out before I jump, the resulting jump will be a lot lower. This conversion of momentum is true even when chaining multiple interactions, like wall running into a jump, into another wallrun, and so on...

[2m20s]...Take this case for instance. Running at it with perfect angles I can get up here. If I use bad angles it converts my momentum differently, making it hard or impossible to get up. Not only finding the combination of moves but all the timings, angles, and momentum is important if you want to be successful. There's a lot of depth here, but also a lot to learn, as most games don't really work like this...

[4m27s]...Mastering these techniques... is key to becoming a successful and skillful [player]... If you pay attention and practice a bit, they will soon become second nature, and let you move around the maps freely. When you eventually get there, it will feel great looking back and knowing the journey and [the fact that now] everything you do, is your own skill...

I did also like some of the things that ReCore did with its own version of 'Flash Shift' (in its platforming-focused dungeon areas) but naturally that's a more controversial title to mention in this context.

If you think that in this game, oooh boy are the older games worse.
I actually love them here, mostly because controls are just so smooth and Samus is fun to control.
But some of the shinspark puzzles in Zero Mission for example?
Oof, they expect perct control from you, I simply wasn't able to 100% percent it because of that.
Here?
Thinking about 100%ing it again in the future.
But normal mode under 4 hours comes first.

Oh wow neat, will have to try it out then. Might be too hard for me, but we'll see.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
How are you supposed to do that first explosive plant root skip without dying? The collapsing debris immediately kills me

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a gif of the counter cinematic against the final boss? That thing is so mesmerizing.

How are you supposed to do that first explosive plant root skip without dying? The collapsing debris immediately kills me
The fourth shit has to be done on the top left corner of the block. It's like a tiny square that sticks out. You're supposed to slide jump to it and aim slightly down. It's tricky.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Things I would love to see as DLC...
  • Easy mode: Half damage from enemies, wider parry timing (especially for cutscene parries). Good way to make it more accessible.
  • Button remapping: Why this isn't already in the game baffles me.
  • Sound mix controls: Again, crazy this isn't already in the game.
  • Visible in-game timer/time scoreboard: It's annoying not being able to see in-game time without saving, quitting, and going back to the main menu. Likewise, it would be nice if players could compare their times with themselves and with everyone else.
  • Boss-rush mode: The bosses are fun. Why not allow people to fight all of them again in a row?
  • An optional super-boss: I know this isn't something Metroid usually does, but I think it would be a good way to highlight the strengths of Dread. Even just a powered up version of the final boss if you get 100% items like in Zero Mission.
  • A gauntlet that is nothing but environmental puzzles: The Shinespark puzzles in this game are wonderful. I would love seeing a Hollow Knight Path of Pain-style thing that emphasizes them.
  • Unique ending art for 0% completion: Was shocked this wasn't in the game already.

All of these would be great. They really need unique ending screens for the different completion times and difficulty modes too. Samus busts the same pose at the end every time. We don't need a Zero Suit Samus model, but put her in the various game suits with different poses at least.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's also why I shop at Dan Flashes. They have the most complicated shirt patterns. It's totally my style.
LOL!

Decided to enter the thread as I finished Dread last night. Great game overall!

Put me down as an unabashed Samus Returns lover too. To me, Dread feels like the next logical game (mechanics-wise) in the series after Samus Returns...so I felt right at home. Yes, the controls can get a bit overwhelming, however I'm happy with my 20-ish hours on ZDR.

More Metroid PLEAZ!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I'm sure it has been discussed to death but I hope we see this engine used again before a Metroid 6. I don't know what game I'd want remade in it - I suppose Fusion makes the most sense - but I don't want to wait years for the next story after waiting 19 for this one. I'm greedy, whatever.

I wonder if we're going to get any sort of updates to this game? I don't expect any story or anything but I'd love to get extra suits or something. Just aesthetics. I'm about to start my third playthrough so just having something different to look at would be cool.
An enhanced version of Samus returns would be cool. But I doubt we'll get a deluxe version of a remake lol

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
All of these would be great. They really need unique ending screens for the different completion times and difficulty modes too. Samus busts the same pose at the end every time. We don't need a Zero Suit Samus model, but put her in the various game suits with different poses at least.

The Zero suit model is already in the game, you see her every time you die. Though it does perplex me that no matter your completion rate/time, you always get her in the same pose with the first suit. I assumed that the other suits you get ingame would be available for different ending screens too, including one where she would take off the helmet with a thumbs up or something.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The Zero suit model is already in the game, you see her every time you die. Though it does perplex me that no matter your completion rate/time, you always get her in the same pose with the first suit. I assumed that the other suits you get ingame would be available for different ending screens too, including one where she would take off the helmet with a thumbs up or something.

We gotta get a thumbs up, yo.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago

Same, I would love stuff like this, even if it's not traditionally something a Metroid game would do. Also I was inspired to whip up a terrible image, please enjoy:

yZTNPpN.jpg

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Thumbs up would be good.

They should also have one where she enters a stasis pod/tube on her ship and it looks like the opening to Super Metroid, but she's the last Metroid :0

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
I just started it over the weekend. The game feels nice to play, and the presentation is great, but the EMMI ruins a lot of the fun for me. I get that it's meant to be a menace, but it made me put the game down for a bit. One literally stays near the door for a while. I just got to the Ferenia one and I think I'm just getting annoyed now. I really want to enjoy this game more because it does feel good overall, but I guess I'll see how this part goes...I'll take a break and go back to it.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
They should also have one where she enters a stasis pod/tube on her ship and it looks like the opening to Super Metroid, but she's the last Metroid :0
I'm looking forward to Metroid 6 opening with Samus locked in a stasis pod and some Galactic Federation official announcing "The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Same, I would love stuff like this, even if it's not traditionally something a Metroid game would do. Also I was inspired to whip up a terrible image, please enjoy:

yZTNPpN.jpg

That whole space of nothing really makes me feel that they intended something to be there but scrapped it for some reason. The completed map looks straight up unbalanced. That said, its only a feeling on my end and feelings don't often match up to the truth of the matter.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
That whole space of nothing really makes me feel that they intended something to be there but scrapped it for some reason. The completed map looks straight up unbalanced. That said, its only a feeling on my end and feelings don't often match up to the truth of the matter.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised considering the two notably big content cuts that occurred in 2019 and 2020.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Update on my Metroid Fusion playthrough.

Wow, I do not like this game at all. Not one bit. I'm not sure how exactly to describe it, but playing it just feels very tedious. It's really unfortunate because I was looking forward to playing this. :(

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Update on my Metroid Fusion playthrough.

Wow, I do not like this game at all. Not one bit. I'm not sure how exactly to describe it, but playing it just feels very tedious. It's really unfortunate because I was looking forward to playing this. :(
It gets better. I don't think it's as good as Dread, but the second half of the game has some nice changes to the formula.

Also fuck that spider.