ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't want gamepass on PlayStation. They were hesitant to even allow ea's service on it. That's even more straightforward.

COD is not Starfield. And they've shown in years past they're willing to keep games on multiple systems where it makes sense…like Minecraft.

It's extremely frustrating to see this board be so in tune with everything in the industry yet continuously seem so baffled by their strategy. Even after years and years of seeing it.

Microsoft is not leaving the hardware industry. They're motto is you can play Xbox games where gamepass is available. And it makes absolutely no sense to try and get PlayStation. They do not need them to succeed in business.
Yes, I'm not suggesting that they dip out of the hardware business. It doesn't make sense and there's nothing suggesting that would be on the table. It's just interesting to me that they like to extoll the ability to play Microsoft games without an Xbox console and, in fact, feature their 2 most popular products on PlayStation and Nintendo (Minecraft and CoD). While other games go in a separate "Xbox/PC only" bucket.

Why not go all-in on the "play anywhere" thing and have all games available on all platforms (when possible, some games may not run on Nintendo's hardware), or, conversely, take the opposite strategy and try harder to push people into owning an Xbox. It seems like they have one foot in each strategy...maybe that's the point? I dunno.

I know Game Pass isn't coming to PlayStation or Nintendo, but why not pick up the full-priced sales there from folks who simply will not buy an Xbox console and/or subscribe to Game Pass for any number of reasons.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft put its games on PSN alongside Game Pass, Sony would absolutely allow it.

Sony would want Microsoft to follow the same rules as any other 3rd party on the platform. But Xbox doesn't want Sony taking a cut of their sales and Game Pass subs.

It's really that simple.

the issue would be that GamePass includes a ton of third party titles that Sony sells on their own storefront.

And like with the discussions from a few years back when people were so certain GP was coming to Switch, I doubt MS is interested in creating some console special version of GamePass that includes only their first party titles to appease Sony and/or Nintendo.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yes, I'm not suggesting that they dip out of the hardware business. It doesn't make sense and there's nothing suggesting that would be on the table. It's just interesting to me that they like to extoll the ability to play Microsoft games without an Xbox console and, in fact, feature their 2 most popular products on PlayStation and Nintendo (Minecraft and CoD). While other games go in a separate "Xbox/PC only" bucket.

Why not go all-in on the "play anywhere" thing and have all games available on all platforms (when possible, some games may not run on Nintendo's hardware), or try harder to push people into owning an Xbox. It seems like they have one foot in each strategy...maybe that's the point? I dunno.

I know Game Pass isn't coming to PlayStation or Nintendo, but why not pick up the full-priced sales there from folks who simply will not subscribe to Game Pass for any number of reasons.
I am sure Play Anywhere will extend as part of their Universal Store initiative, should the EU regulations to allow for sideloading apps/stores becomes a thing for iOS and all that.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't want gamepass on PlayStation. They were hesitant to even allow ea's service on it. That's even more straightforward.

COD is not Starfield. And they've shown in years past they're willing to keep games on multiple systems where it makes sense…like Minecraft.

It's extremely frustrating to see this board be so in tune with everything in the industry yet continuously seem so baffled by their strategy. Even after years and years of seeing it.

Microsoft is not leaving the hardware industry. They're motto is you can play Xbox games where gamepass is available. And it makes absolutely no sense to try and get PlayStation. They do not need them to succeed in business.
They either need to
1. convince people to get GamePass on non-Xbox devices or
2. fix their declining Xbox HW issues

Or eventually all they're going to have is software growth simply via the large number of publishers they have the multiplatform games. At some point they'll reach a saturation point for GP on Xbox if the HW sales are slowing down.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
the issue would be that GamePass includes a ton of third party titles that Sony sells on their own storefront.

And like with the discussions from a few years back when people were so certain GP was coming to Switch, I doubt MS is interested in creating some console special version of GamePass that includes only their first party titles to appease Sony and/or Nintendo.

true

Satya on Gaming during Earnings Call
OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Nadella on Gaming:

- Delighted to close the acquistion of ABK. Will advance their goal of bringing games to everyone on any endpoint.
- Set record of Game Pass hours played this quarter.
- More than 11M players of Starfield. Nearly half of hours were on PC. Most subscribers added to Game Pass in a single day, ever.
- Minecraft sold >300M copies now.
- 13 $1B+ franchises now with Candy Crush, Diablo, Halo, Warcraft, Gears of War, Elder Scrolls, etc.
- One of the strongest holiday first-party lineup ever incoming with COD:MW3, Forza Motorsport, etc.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Earnings call just said that 11 million people have played Starfield, and that the nearly half of the hours played have been on PC, and on top of that that the launch of Starfield set the record for highest number of Game Pass subs added in a single day

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Why not go all-in on the "play anywhere" thing and have all games available on all platforms (when possible, some games may not run on Nintendo's hardware), or, conversely, take the opposite strategy and try harder to push people into owning an Xbox. It seems like they have one foot in each strategy...maybe that's the point? I dunno.

I know Game Pass isn't coming to PlayStation or Nintendo, but why not pick up the full-priced sales there from folks who simply will not subscribe to Game Pass for any number of reasons.
Probably because that would significantly harm hardware sales, which in turns harms 3rd party sales and so on on Xbox. If Microsoft were to put all their games on PlayStation consoles, then Xbox consoles would basically just be a Game Pass machines. Not interested in Game Pass? Then there'd be no good reason to get a Xbox, just get a PC if you're interested in that or if you insist on a console get a PlayStation so you can play both Microsoft's and Sony's content.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
These are some interesting results.

Alrighty then....
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox hardware being down 7% in a Starfield quarter is a real head scratcher.
Nothing as overhyped as the effect on sales by known entities announced for years. I still remember everyone expected NPD sales to explode in the GTA 4 launch month - one of the most expected game of all times, hype was completly through the roof. The result was that PS360 sales where actually down month to month, despite it selling 2.85m in the launch NPD month in the US. The reason is that people don't wait months to buy something they know they will buy anyway. On top of that Starfield also underwhelmed with a 83% MC score. What's also never factored in is that the XBox profited from the PS5 scarcity, so sales were higher last year than what they would have been under normal conditions.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because that would significantly harm hardware sales, which in turns harms 3rd party sales and so on on Xbox. If Microsoft were to put all their games on PlayStation consoles, then Xbox consoles would basically just be a Game Pass machines. Not interested in Game Pass? Then there'd be no good reason to get a Xbox, just get a PC if you're interested in that or if you insist on a console get a PlayStation so you can play both Microsoft's and Sony's content.
Yes, that's true. The thing I'm getting at is that I don't understand how important the hardware portion of the business is to Microsoft. If it's not that important, why not have the Xbox console simply be the Game Pass box and drive up software sales by putting your games on other platforms? If the hardware component is important, why not make everything exclusive to drive up hardware sales?

The in-between approach they're currently taking is odd to me, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, feels like the hardware isn't going to be salvaged regardless of exclusives if Starfield can't move units. Doesn't seem like ABK will change that if Bethesda can't. MS might be raking in the dough on PC but they really kneecapped their hardware growth this gen

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a baffling strategy to buy a ton of studios, talk about software is so much more important to you, and then keep all that software on a console that is struggling hard even with a budget entry level option.

"Keeping it on a console "

Luckily they're blatantly not doing that.

If Microsoft put its games on PSN alongside Game Pass, Sony would absolutely allow it.

Sony would want Microsoft to follow the same rules as any other 3rd party on the platform. But Xbox doesn't want Sony taking a cut of their sales and Game Pass subs.

It's really that simple.

Oh…so irrelevant then? Cause gamepass isn't just 1st party.

I know Game Pass isn't coming to PlayStation or Nintendo, but why not pick up the full-priced sales there from folks who simply will not buy an Xbox console and/or subscribe to Game Pass for any number of reasons.

"Why not go all in on play anywhere"

They're not 3rd party Todd. It's really evident they have the ip/studios to do both exclusives and getting max revenue out of big games like COD and Minecraft.

They either need to
1. convince people to get GamePass on non-Xbox devices or
2. fix their declining Xbox HW issues

Or eventually all they're going to have is software growth simply via the large number of publishers they have the multiplatform games. At some point they'll reach a saturation point for GP on Xbox if the HW sales are slowing down.

"Non xbox devices"

Like tvs, pc and mobile?

"Fix their declining xbox hardware issues"

What's fix? Be in line with PlayStation and Nintendo? Probably not gonna happen. But we've no idea what their saturation point is yet.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Nadella on Gaming:

- Delighted to close the acquistion of ABK. Will advance their goal of bringing games to everyone on any endpoint.
- Set record of Game Pass hours played this quarter.
- More than 11M players of Starfield. Nearly half of hours were on PC. Most subscribers added to Game Pass in a single day, ever.
- Minecraft sold >300M copies now.
- 13 $1B+ franchises now with Candy Crush, Diablo, Halo, Warcraft, Gears of War, Elder Scrolls, etc.
- One of the strongest holiday first-party lineup ever incoming with COD:MW3, Forza Motorsport, etc.
I'm surprised by ~11 million players for SF given they hit 10 million over a month ago.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's true. The thing I'm getting at is that I don't understand how important the hardware portion of the business is to Microsoft. If it's not that important, why not have Xbox simply be the Game Pass box and drive up software sales by putting your games on other platforms? If the hardware component is important, why not make everything exclusive to drive up hardware sales?

They still have a huge financial interest in making sure people buy Xboxes, even if they'll never sell as many as Playstation or Nintendo, because of how much they make on services. Having tens of millions of people that not only buy Xboxes for GamePass, but also the place where they play Fortnite, and Madden and EA FC and NBA 2K, ect... is still a big part of their business. Same with Sony. Revenue from third party game sales and MTX is big for them. They still have a vested interest in getting people to choose an Xbox over a Playstation, which is why things like Starfield are console exclusive.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Amy Hood:
- Revenue up ahead of expectations due to stronger than expected growth in Game Pass subscriptions and first-party content primarily from the Starfield launch.

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
The continued hardware slide is an Xbox problem, Spencer has repeatedly said as much. Revenue is at an all time high but we have no idea what they're spending to bring in that revenue. People thought Starfield would stem the bleeding with their hardware sales and it doesn't seem to have done that, but has done well enough on PC that their overall numbers still appear to be solid. Things could be worse but they could be a lot better.

Nobody thought that for Starfield and neither did MS. Right now the brand is relaunching, it's going to take time and even MS know this. Yet still doom and gloom arguments which are ridiculous

vernacherMV

Feb 5, 2021
If console sales don't matter or matter as much, I guess it would be cool if devs begin to prioritize certain consoles over others in dev time, resources, optimization, etc. Although I'm gonna assume that already is happening to some degree.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They still have a huge financial interest in making sure people buy Xboxes, even if they'll never sell as many as Playstation or Nintendo, because of how much they make on services. Having tens of millions of people that not only buy Xboxes for GamePass, but also the place where they play Fortnite, and Madden and EA FC and NBA 2K, ect... is still a big part of their business. Same with Sony. Revenue from third party game sales and MTX is big for them. They still have a vested interest in getting people to choose an Xbox over a Playstation, which is why things like Starfield are console exclusive.
That makes sense. Why not make CoD and Minecraft exclusive too? Those are their 2 heaviest hitters and would drive Xbox console sales a hell of a lot more than Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, etc. Would it simply piss people off too much and they worry it would poison the brand?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yes, that's true. The thing I'm getting at is that I don't understand how important the hardware portion of the business is to Microsoft. If it's not that important, why not have Xbox simply be the Game Pass box and drive up software sales by putting your games on other platforms? If the hardware component is important, why not make everything exclusive to drive up hardware sales?

The in-between approach they're currently taking is odd to me, but maybe I'm just missing something.
I think it's just that they're not making Minecraft exclusive because despite it being huge making it exclusive probably would shift little to no hardware. It runs on a potato anyway so everyone already has a device it runs on, and I don't think many children would buy a Xbox console for it. I like to compare it to Roblox which was on Xbox since November 2015 and only came to PlayStation 2 weeks ago, and yet there's never been any reason to believe it was a system seller for Microsoft.

As for CoD, I understand not making it exclusive in the middle of the generation because in those 3 to 4 years plenty of people have already bough a PlayStation for it and you're probably more likely to lose a lot of those people than have them switch in the middle of the generation. As to why they're not making it exclusive come 2027/28 when we'll likely get new consoles, I think Microsoft is just comfortable farming those billions in profits for a decade while also getting good numbers on what they can earn by publishing on PlayStation while still selling Xbox consoles and Game Pass subs with CoD.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. Why not make CoD and Minecraft exclusive too? Those are their 2 heaviest hitters and would drive Xbox console sales a hell of a lot more than Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, etc. Would it simply piss people off too much and they worry it would poison the brand?

Because CoD and Minecraft are two massive service/living games that are already on everything. Making Minecraft or CoD exclusive to Xbox would hurt Minecraft or CoD more than it would help Xbox. In the case of CoD, you also run the risk of creating a void of suddenly an audience of a hundred million+ people no longer having access to Call of Duty and letting something new step in and steal away that marketshare.

Amy Hood on Guidance for Q2 FY24 (Holiday)
OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Amy Hood on Guidance for the More Personal Computing/Gaming segment for Q2:
- Includes net impact from Activision Blizzard acquisition.
- Devices revenue decline in mid teens (includes Windows PCs here) as they focus on higher margin areas.
- Revenue growth in mid-high 40s. Includes roughly 35 points of net impact from Activision acquisition. And includes adjusting from 3rd to 1st party for Activision content.
- Xbox Content + Services revenue growth in mid-high 50s, driven by roughly 50 points from the Activision acquisition.

"As we add net impact of Activision.. we continue to expect operating margins to remain flat YoY" (Company wide guidance)

Sounds like they were expecting mid to high single digits revenue growth for Holiday sans Activision.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They're releasing first party (not COD/MC) on another console?

They're releasing on other platforms. So they're not keeping they're games on a struggling console. I know you're trying to ask why they aren't releasing on PlayStation…but they've been in this business for how long? They've never needed PlayStation to stick around in their worst years. There's no reason whatsoever they need PlayStation now…especially since they're getting, for the first time, so much oomph from Microsoft pockets to grow.

Phil has stated they are not chasing PlayStation. Like…. Xbox has been spelling this out for years. Why do y'all keep coming back to them going 3rd party with PlayStation.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that Xbox Series won't beat Xbox One. Will it be possible for microsoft to anticipate the next gen console to adress this early hardware slowdown?

Wasn't there an argument that they stopped releasing games later in Xbox one lifecycle to focus on series but that didn't seem to result in dramatically more games in the launch period

Games just take a long time these days so even mitigation feels like you're standing still

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Because this is a billion dollars business as is, they're already gonna have to see how it works out with xbox and pc getting it day 1 on gamepass.

The last thing they'd want is jeopardize the moneyflow from switch and PS.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If MS could put GamePass on PlayStation and/or Nintendo consoles they wouldn't need to sell any more xboxes.
And if they stopped selling Xboxes they'd lose a lot of money from lost 3rd party sales through their store and from people who only buy Gold/Game Pass Core for online play. Not to mention that if Microsoft sells a subscription or game on PlayStation or Nintendo platforms they'd have to give those companies a cut.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why MS want to move xbox to more of an ecosystem that can be played anywhere.

But what I dont understand is why cant MS do both? Have aggressive bundles and marketing for console while also bringing xbox to more places?

Does it really have to be either-or?

Oct 27, 2017
"Non xbox devices"

Like tvs, pc and mobile?

"Fix their declining xbox hardware issues"

What's fix? Be in line with PlayStation and Nintendo? Probably not gonna happen. But we've no idea what their saturation point is yet.
Are you pretending to be obtuse or do you honestly not understand that a decline is not a good thing???

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Because CoD and Minecraft make a stupid amount of money. If they had taken Minecraft exclusive they might not even own CoD right now. Xbox problem is they've had a lack of high quality consistent big profile releases. That's why they had to buy these publishers. I can't imagine what Xbox would look like this year if they didn't have Bethesda.

I do feel like they could do more with Minecraft as it pertains to the Series consoles. Why is their no Minecraft/Xbox Series S holiday bundle.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
And if they stopped selling Xboxes they'd lose a lot of money from lost 3rd party sales through their store and from people who only buy Gold/Game Pass Core for online play. Not to mention that if Microsoft sells a subscription or game on PlayStation or Nintendo platforms they'd have to give those companies a cut.

True. Im just saying that'd be a huge audience of subscribers for them I think they'd have to do it. Its Nintendo and Sony that I think would have a bigger issue.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Amy Hood on Guidance for the More Personal Computing/Gaming segment for Q2:
- Includes net impact from Activision Blizzard acquisition.
- Devices revenue decline in mid teens (includes Windows PCs here) as they focus on higher margin areas.
- Revenue growth in mid-high 40s. Includes roughly 35 points of net impact from Activision acquisition. And includes adjusting from 3rd to 1st party for Activision content.
- Xbox Content + Services revenue growth in mid-high 50s, driven by roughly 50 points from the Activision acquisition.

"As we add net impact of Activision.. we continue to expect operating margins to remain flat YoY" (Company wide guidance)

Sounds like they were expecting mid to high single digits revenue growth for Holiday sans Activision.
JESUS 50 points.

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
They're releasing on other platforms. So they're not keeping they're games on a struggling console. I know you're trying to ask why they aren't releasing on PlayStation…but they've been in this business for how long? They've never needed PlayStation to stick around in their worst years. There's no reason whatsoever they need PlayStation now…especially since they're getting, for the first time, so much oomph from Microsoft pockets to grow.

Phil has stated they are not chasing PlayStation. Like…. Xbox has been spelling this out for years. Why do y'all keep coming back to them going 3rd party with PlayStation.
They struggled hard last gen and shifted to being everywhere like PC and cloud with Game Pass. Since then they've deleted majority of their cloud investment because cloud isn't catching on, Phil has even mentioned that it's just not something mobile users want to play. They've moved their KPIs away from Game Pass after stagnating hard, Xbox has mentioned that it'll always be a side thing to their main business. So I'm sitting here wondering what their actual strategy is especially as they buy massive publishers with little console benefit and other publishers they were looking at (Sega) would've stayed multiplatform as well.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
During the ABK hearing, Microsoft stated that Minecraft is more popular/profitable on Switch and PS. The same could be said about CoD on PlayStation. So why forego millions of dollars each year when you don't have to?

Not you specifically, but people really are having a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that while consoles sales are important, they aren't the only metric for Microsoft anymore. If they sell 60 million consoles in a generation, but make more money than they ever have, then you can bet they'd be ecstatic.

Would they like to sell more? Of course. But if millions of PC gamers are willing to give them money they wouldn't otherwise get, then that's a win. I'm a PC only gamer and will never own another console, but Microsoft still gets money from me that they otherwise never would.