• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If only there was a way to report on Sea of Thieves doing well that didn't feed into insane console warring.

If only we could just celebrate a game doing well instead of using it to draw up battle lines and pit people against each other.

If only...
It's sold millions on Steam, so insanely well, and that has been discussed without any console war nonsense. It's got to be Rare's most successful project in history at this point, commercially speaking, if we ignore all those disappointed Kinect Sports customers.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Multiple factors.

A) MS owns now two major publishers who had multiplat games and audiences on PS as well. (Also Mojang)
B) MS is releasing new games for PS users that were on Xbox.
C) Sony doesn't have that many games releasing in April bar Stellar Blade while MS is releasing more.
D) Some new traction for older titles like Fallout due to the success of the TV SHOW (much like TLOU show for TLOU games).

MS is the biggest publisher on the market, not really shocking that their games sell when said games sold on XBOX (XGS games) and elsewhere (Mojang, Bethesda, ABK).

Also this just covers a particular point in time and isn't general. Even then, with ABK, Bethesda, Mojang, etc... MS is the biggest third party publisher on PS.

Just because MS is the biggest it doesn't mean people have to play the games they make.

This just shows MS have a ton of must play games.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
If only there was a way to report on Sea of Thieves doing well that didn't feed into insane console warring.

If only we could just celebrate a game doing well instead of using it to draw up battle lines and pit people against each other.

If only...

Get ready for when Sea of Thieves gets nominated for best on-going game this year, now that it is in Playstation. We won't hear the end of the "see, the xbox tax is real"

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just because MS is the biggest it doesn't mean people have to play the games they make.

This just shows MS have a ton of must play games.
This is true both for XGS games (minus HiFi Rush and Pentiment) that PS consumers haven't played before but also for games/i.ps that were always popular on PS before MS acquired them, like OverWatch, Diablo, COD, FallOut, etc...

MrY2K

Aug 30, 2023
as-the-creator-of-the-bait-used-to-be-believable-image-i-v0-a7o60yr4wz2c1.jpeg

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Which is fine with me as a PS5 owner (who still has a boxed Xbox sitting in the closet). I am very happy with a future where Microsoft embraces its third party strengths and allows me access games they own on my PlayStation. Especially considering they can buy any publishing or development company they want. Please don't force me to buy an Xbox to play these games. I say good for them, selling content on PlayStation.

Jul 2, 2021
It's mildly interesting. But not significantly interesting. IMO
Yeah it's fun to look at but not really news. It's fodder for console warriors on Twitter though.

There are two Sony published games in the US PS Store top ten. One Microsoft published game with Call of Duty.
There are three Sony published games in the Pre Order top ten on the PS Store. Stellar Blade and Destiny: The Final Shape.
There are three Microsoft publishes games in the Pre Order top ten on the PS Store. All three spots are Sea of Thieves.

Pretty even. It's good to see that people are still buying a lot of games on the PlayStation platform.
They literally bought 2 publishers
Correct.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft is literally Sony's biggest third party partner lol

Also, we can expect many more MS games coming to PlayStation. Awesome stuff! It's really a win win for all.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Port begging
They need to hurry up and release Flight Sim on the PS5..... it once again just went on sale on Steam today.. but I'm still holding out lol. Once I heard about the rumors, it made it easier... but eventually I was going to buy it on Steam. Hell I might still do that if the PS5 version doesn't support VR, like the PC version does.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
thank you microsoft, for your incredible contribution to the gaming industry. thank you microsoft for call of duty, diablo, overwatch, fallout and minecraft 💚

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
So over under on the post count where this thread will be locked?

Just CoD made this inevitable

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Yes absolutely, you're right, Sony and Nintendo should ditch their consoles too and bring their games everywhere else too.
Yeah, Sony and especially Nintendo (no PC love yet?) absolutely should…at some point. I doubt there will be Xbox consoles by the time that happens. MS has already begun porting all of their games to PS while Sony and Nintendo have not done the same.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021

Unfortunately I've found very little discussion about Sea of Thieves worth having on this forum without it descending into something something multiplayer something something GAAS something something Rare is dead, make a new Banjo.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's what happens when you spend ~$100 billion on acquisitions

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Other than bait theres not much interesting to glean from it. Most of those same games would have been in roughly the same spots pre microsoft acquisition, the fallout games maybe slight outliers riding the success of its tv show

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I mean, it's just a fun, interesting fact... but that won't stop people from losing their minds.
Yep, basically why I made the thread.

If only...
This isn't about Sea of Thieves and the success it's finding on PS, since there already were threads about this.
Also don't really see how this is "feeding console wars". Like, when you think it through, which side is this article "feeding" in this case? Sony's side, since they now get formerly exclusive games on their platform? Or Microsoft's side, since they now have many top sellers on a rival platform? Anyway, I just saw this and thought it's a fun, interesting fact. Which also shows how times have changed.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
Factor in the 30% platform fee Sony takes per sale.

Wonder what the size of the check MS is cutting to Sony on a monthly/quarterly basis? Crazy.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 week): Console war rhetoric; long history of similar behavior
With this success from all these games that MS have created finding an audience on PS it won't be long until we see day 1 releases.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
User warned: Drive-by posting; metacommentary
You could cure cancer with the amount of salt in this thread.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I know A LOT of people here disagree with me but I really think MSFT can create a win-win scenario with this approach.

Looking at my active games right now on my Xbox and it's Jedi Survivor, Halo, Diablo 4, Control, FIFA, and Starfield (bleh). These games cost me $35 to play (Jedi Survivor was on sale), plus my monthly GP subscription. I think that is huge value and something that MS can build a long-term gaming business around (i.e., console/PC Box + Gamepass).

On the other hand, they are publishing/producing massive hits on Steam, Playstation, and soon Switch 2.

Pretty solid.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Would probably be the opposite situation if Sony published their games on Xbox.
Guess we will never know.

Honestly yeah of course they are, they have the games in multiple genres that are MP heavy. COD, nuff said. They will bring that anywhere they could. Once it releases on Switch 2? More money.