• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I can't help but believe Hello Games is a serious contender. They fit the description Booty talked about and I heard on one of these podcast I listen to that Phil really wanted NMS before they went with Sony. It's a little exciting to think of what NMS 2 could be with Microsoft resources and support, maybe they could make that Mass Effect type game we've all been hoping for.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If Forza Motorsport 8 isn't in development and isn't a 2020 launch game I'll eat my hat. I believe they are taking a year off specifically to line up with launch as a show piece title.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
When looking at potential acquisitions of studios, question should be asked by gamers is will these developers make better content under MS?

For example, CDPR has an insane budget as a multiplatform developer. They aren't restricted in terms of creativity or ambition being independent. The Xbox will not have better games as a result of purchasing them. Cyberpunk will likely be what it was intended to be whether under Microsoft or operating independently. Even if Xbox were my only platform (and it isn't) I'd prefer to see them invest where it lifts the overall quality of their games more than its subtracting from other platforms.

Ninja Theory, on the other hand, can output more and better games now that their resources are no longer diluted supporting other projects.

Game Pass is the real wild card. What companies have IPs or talent that are held back due to the current gaming marketplace but could thrive on a service like Game Pass?

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
yeah but when they buying the Lakers and changing the jersey to Xbox green

Okay.. as a Laker fan - that is a line that cannot be crossed. Green be the Boston Celtics colour and us Laker crowd have a very strong opinion on the Boston Celtics. :D

Lets keep these polarizing topics like sports and vidya gaems separate shall we? No one needs to get hurt. :D

Back OT - re the earlier discussion about Obsidian - it might be that studio that is capable of being both a solid standalone developer for gamepass type games as well as a support unit for the larger work that MS might ask of its first party. I don't hear much about them in the news apart from PoE support at the moment, i expect that if they are involved in any 'acquisition' related talk - it would only show after their current contractual/development obligations are met?

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Annapurna Interactive is teasing an announcement tomorrow morning. Could this be the reason the Game Pass announcement was delayed? Are we getting Ashen soon?
If Ashen (hopefully will be in the box as well) would be released in autumn that is not reason to big delay with news about August update for Xbox Game Pass.

They have another game to release which was given for free by MixPot through Mixer – Outer Wilds, from Mobius Digital.

If Forza Motorsport 8 isn't in development and isn't a 2020 launch game I'll eat my hat. I believe they are taking a year off specifically to line up with launch as a show piece title.
It isn't in development but probably for 2019 window. This could be obvious that they would like to release new installment in franchise as launch title for Xbox Scarlett and eventually still for Xbox One.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably come out then. I expect horizon 4 to get a longer tail regarding updates and new content and 2019 will be more continued horIzon stuff and no Motorsport game

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Turn 10 is obviously working on a third Forza imo. The whole team isn't gonna be on Forza 7 so if they're not working on Forza 8 they'll be on Forza something else.

Makes sense given Motorsport has kinda took a step back to horizon. I doubt turn 10 are particularly happy about playing second fiddle to playground either, they'll want the crown back

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Since few months I see there some posts about second spin-off in Forza franchise. But there are some real and hard evidence for that? Or is just yours forums talking and dreaming?

It would be really nice to see some Forza in Mario Kart style with using Avatars in very serious way. But… Is this really Xbox needs? I don't think so.

It'll probably come out then. I expect horizon 4 to get a longer tail regarding updates and new content and 2019 will be more continued horIzon stuff and no Motorsport game
And this is the best solution. Longer support for Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon than releasing them every two years. More time to thinking about ideas and future of the brands.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since few months I see there some posts about second spin-off in Forza franchise. But there are some real and hard evidence for that? Or is just yours forums talking and dreaming?

It would be really nice to see some Forza in Mario Kart style with using Avatars in very serious way. But… Is this really Xbox needs? I don't think so.

And this is the best solution. Longer support for Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon than releasing them every two years. More time to thinking about ideas and future of the brands.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/05/forza-dev-third-series-possible-as-franchise-evolves-ign-first

Also, I am like 98% sure that Miami Street at the beginning of its developement had "Forza" in its title.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/05/forza-dev-third-series-possible-as-franchise-evolves-ign-first

Also, I am like 98% sure that Miami Street at the beginning of its developement had "Forza" in its title.
Miami Street? How it could be looks like? One-click-button on mouse game? That's ridiculous.

Forza is too serious brand to play with something like this little project which is probably in early development stage. They could back to PGR. Series between simulator and arcade. Like 2-in-1.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Miami Street? How it could be looks like? One-click-button on mouse game? That's ridiculous.

Forza is too serious brand to play with something like this little project which is probably in early development stage. They could back to PGR. Series between simulator and arcade. Like 2-in-1.
I think they realized this on their own and dropped the Forza branding from this one. I have to say it still looks like a technically competent touch control game, even though the gameplay is rather limited.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Get fucked MS". Because of an assumption of an assumption of an assumption of a forum post. What is this Kindergarten behavior all the time?

How would you think Creative Assemblys fanbase would react if they left them?

"Get fucked, MS" would be pretty calm, especially from Total War fans.

A lot of CAs success has come from their PC fanbase and then especially Steams features such as mods and the Steam worshop.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How would you think Creative Assemblys fanbase would react if they left them?

"Get fucked, MS" would be pretty calm, especially from Total War fans.

A lot of CAs success has come from their PC fanbase and then especially Steams features such as mods and the Steam worshop.

Agree. If MS would buy a studio centered around pc gaming they should improve their pc infrastructure first. Steam is vastly superior in terms of mods, community management, etc. for PC.

That's why I've never understood why there is a non-Play Anywhere version of Cities Skylines on the Microsoft Store. That version is worth 0 from the moment it entered that store. The Steam version is so superior it's not even funny.

So sure; if MS was going to launch Gamepass on pc and decided to buy more PC gaming focused devs they have a lot of work to do.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want them to buy studios that pisses off the largest segments of the gaming community. Don't care if it's a PC dev, or one with strong Sony or Nintendo relationships.

They should just go all out and get as much talent as they can!

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no rumor about CA leaving Sega. Why even bother?

It's the hypothethical thought if MS buys SEGA, CA is owned by SEGA. There's been discussion in this thread about MS buying SEGA and CapCom, especially form the posts I read that MS is "trying" to buy a publisher/dev that would be as big as the PS5 announcement.

I would have problems if Sony, MS or Nintendo attempted to try and buy PC-centric devs like CA, Obsidian, CDPR, Valve etc.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the hypothethical thought if MS buys SEGA, CA is owned by SEGA. There's been discussion in this thread about MS buying SEGA and CapCom, especially form the posts I read that MS is "trying" to buy a publisher/dev that would be as big as the PS5 announcement.

I would have problems if Sony, MS or Nintendo attempted to try and buy PC-centric devs like CA, Obsidian, CDPR, Valve etc.

Lmao MS buying Sega or Capcom is a pipe dream.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

huh?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
They are better with Microsoft as they'd still be on PC, but for the most part, I agree.

I honestly wouldn't mind Obsidian as long as they get creative freedom (which they would). They're a good developer that's always been hampered by budget and time. Microsoft needs at least a few RPG devs because they need to go back to how they were before, being the console that had the best WRPGs.

There's no way CDPR would be bought as they don't even align with Microsoft's goals much at all. They only have two IPs, and they're too big for Microsoft. The only way I could see CDPR being OK with it is if Microsoft allows them to keep selling their games on Steam and be DRM-free. With Microsoft's big UWP push, I doubt any of this would happen. I'd still be more OK with CDPR being bought than Bethesda. TW3's mod support is heavily limited, and for all we know, CP2077 might be a repeat of TW3 where the promised Redkit never comes.

I don't see the point in Valve honestly. They're looking for developers, not trying to buy out competition.

I could see CA as beneficial, but I don't think it'll happen.

I don't believe Microsoft would buy any Developer that's already owned by a Publisher. It's much more of a hassle, and the cost would most likely be much higher than if they were independent.

By the way, I started playing Hellblade again, but my biggest issue is how long the game is (I love it so much and don't want it to end). Don't get me wrong, it's a quality 8ish hours, but I still hope their future games are longer. I think for Hellblade the 8ish hours are fine, but with the whole of NT, I think a longer game would be more beneficial. Not too long, but I think 15 - 25 hours (that can include side activities) would be perfect (roughly what Uncharted and TLOU are). Does anyone think NT's games will be longer from now on?

Quality over quality of course, but when you love a game so much, you'd prefer it to go on longer. I think more than 30 will drag it out, so 15 - 25 is the perfect amount, but it really depends on the story.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
A lot of Obsidian's current focus on PC and isometric style games is out of necessity. They're not really equipped financially to chase AAA 3D style RPGs. Instead they've found their niche working on isometric throwback style modern CRPGs. The majority of the audience for that is on PC. It's kind of become a safe zone for them to hang out in.

Given proper funds to grow the studio, I'm sure they could work on something more expansive.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft shouldn't be buying any pc centric developers as long as their pc offering (The store, the services and the infrastructure) are mediocre as they are right now. It would hurt the pc gaming scene. And to be honest, I think an MS acquisition should be a win for everyone in gaming.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft shouldn't be buying any pc centric developers as long as their pc offering (The store, the services and the infrastructure) are mediocre as they are right now. It would hurt the pc gaming scene. And to be honest, I think an MS acquisition should be a win for everyone in gaming.
This isn't kumbaya. LOL. Microsoft should do whatever's in their best interest. That's the whole point of having a competitive market.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
You do all realize that if MS gets too big and starts selling a lot more games, third party publishers might go somewhere else?

Why do you think third parties are "boycotting" the Nintendo systems? Probably because Nintendo gets most of the sales/profits.

MS need to focus on quality, not quantity. They have as many studios as Sony.

What is in my opinion urgent for Microsoft to do: a great PC store. Steam is A LOT better.

Last edited:

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
What if, like The Coalition did with Gears, Playgrounds new team is working on a Fable remaster first?
It would be more of a remake, but I doubt it. Would still love a Fable 2 Anniversary though.

Hopefully in 3 - 4 years that would be a different story. A developer like Obsidian wouldn't even start fully on a MS title if purchased immediately until next year, and then it would still be a few years after that before we get anything.

Fable Anniversary is already there, the other games are backwards compatible, there's no need for that
Hopefully they fix those titles as there's quite a few issues with them. Anniversary freezes a lot, among other issues, and both Fable 2 and 3 have performance issues, audio issues, and graphical issues so much where the enjoyment playing them is almost taken out.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do all realize that if MS gets too big and starts selling a lot more games, third party publishers might go somewhere else?

Why do you think third parties are "boycotting" the Nintendo systems? Probably because Nintendo gets most of the sales/profits.

Sony has more studios, and more teams working on games.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This isn't kumbaya. LOL. Microsoft should do whatever's in their best interest. That's the whole point of having a competitive market.

Sure. But we'd all prefer if they did things that would improve gaming as a whole. And buying pc centric developers wouldn't do that. As of now.

If they are able to improve their pc gaming infrastructure and services; sure, why not.

mpurrr

Banned
Mar 25, 2018

Third parties will never boycott Microsoft and that's more nuts talk than Microsoft doing a hostile takeover of Sony. Nintendo has never had the luxury be it their disc formats or hardware being the same as the others.

If Nintendo released a console as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox tomorrow with the same architecture they would get the exact same games day 1.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What is in my opinion urgent for Microsoft to do: a great PC store. Steam is A LOT better.

Is this a serous post? The reason third parties skip Nintendo systems is the drastic/generational power difference thus requiring devs to make gimped versions of such games that probably won't even sell enough to cover development/porting costs. Xbox doesn't have that problem.

Obsidian is an ideal candidate for acquisition considering they've publicly stated they're open to it. They would be a fantastic get for Microsoft.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. But we'd all prefer if they did things that would improve gaming as a whole. And buying pc centric developers wouldn't do that. As of now.

If they are able to improve their pc gaming infrastructure and services; sure, why not.
The state of PC gaming and gaming as a whole is fine. They don't need your approval on when they should buy PC centric devs. MS are acquiring studios that align with their business strategy and if it happens to be a PC centric dev, than so be it.

Game Studios go out of business, get dissolved by their parent company, or bought up by a bigger corporations all the time. You asking MS to sit idly by while this occurs makes no sense.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The state of PC gaming and gaming as a whole is fine. They don't need your approval on when they should buy PC centric devs. MS are acquiring studios that align with their business strategy and if it happens to be a PC centric dev, than so be it.

Game Studios go out of bussiness, get dissolved by their parent company, or bought up by a bigger corporation all the time. You asking MS to sit idly by while this occurs makes no sense.

They can do what they want. I Just wouldn't like it.

I'm not asking MS to sit idly. I'm asking them to improve their pc gaming infrastructure. Its a bloody shame. A missed opportunity.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Third parties will never boycott Microsoft and that's more nuts talk than Microsoft doing a hostile takeover of Sony. Nintendo has never had the luxury be it their disc formats or hardware being the same as the others.

If Nintendo released a console as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox tomorrow with the same architecture they would get the exact same games day 1.
They'll never boycott them as the situation is right now, that's for sure.

But if they would buy as some fans here hope EA, Capcom, Sega etc., things would drastically change.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Asking them to improve their PC infrastructure is reasonable and something MS is already aware of.

Yes, and as long as they haven't imrpoved their pc infrastructure it doesn't make any sense to me why they'd buy PC centric developers. It'd be a waste of money. And it would ruin franchises.

But let's see how it'll go with Gears Tactics and Age of Empires.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and as long as they haven't imrpoved their pc infrastructure it doesn't make any sense to me why they'd buy PC centric developers. It'd be a waste of money. And it would ruin franchises.

But let's see how it'll go with Gears Tactics and Age of Empires.
Plenty of PC centric devs have transitioned to making console games. It's almost as if MS has multiple platforms acquired devs would work on and not simply PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.