Status
Not open for further replies.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Who out here is implying that he genuinely didn't know what it meant?
He made a joke.

I don't think he's unaware, but that's exactly the point. He knows better. He also knows that next to nobody watching would be confused by that lead-in. He said it to shit disturb. No quips about EA, no digs at Bethesda (show was pretty solid tbh), and multiple hype-posts for Sony. For someone in his position in the industry, he should be a little more careful to not be so transparent in taking sides.

The man has been an active member both on GAF and currently is on ERA. He's always been a class act.
Dude's practically family over here and we all love to fall into his hype-trap every time.

He can be a member of GAF and ERA all he wants, doesn't mean he doesn't contribute to the console-war mentality.

I think when he has great interview skills, is very "ear to the ground" in the industry and is a looked at as a trusted source for info. I'd love to think of him as a trusted source as well. He just rubs me the wrong way with his displays of favouritism that creates bias.

To me this is as awkward as Meher Tatna (Pres. Hollywood Foreign Press) razzing on Paramount any chance she gets while being the head of the organization that awards Golden Globes. She could hate everything the studio has ever put it, but it's her job to let the public appreciate the merits and not point out the blemishes (when it comes to content and display)

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Microsoft's briefing told me what I wanted to hear: we're in the game, and we're in this game to win.

I'm still surprised that they bought Ninja Theory.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, when you watch Youtube Live at E3 you always notice his passive aggressiveness whenever there is someone from Xbox on stage in the questions he's asking etc. It's so obvious he doesn't even try hide it. It's fine to have a preference for him of course, but it can be a bit too much bias from time to time.

Geoff is a great advocate for gaming, but I think it's clear his gaming preferences don't align with Xbox as well as they do the other platforms. This is fine in general, but coming from the official MC of E3 I'd wish for a bit more of an independent voice.

Several of his tweets leading up to, and during the Xbox show had a passive aggressive tone - hasn't been directed at any of the other conferences so far. Tweeting about leaks (implying him leaking the 1X price last year), reiterating the heavy 3rd party showing (including the tweet quoted above), etc. He just has a different tone when talking about Playstation or Nintendo vs Xbox (in my opinion).

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Ok, but they recently just said that they'd make their games multiplatform from now on if they can. Waiting to see if Nier sells enough would contradict that.

Could this be the opposite of the whole "Console Launch Exclusive" debacle and is simply coming first to PS4? I mean, Crash presented similarly, as did Nier. Even as "easy" as porting could be, both games got their Xbox announcements fairly shortly after release and shortly preceding their MS appearance.

Also, consider that the Squeenix commitment came from an earnings call recently and wouldn't reflect games deep in development.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's briefing told me what I wanted to hear: we're in the game, and we're in this game to win.

I'm still surprised that they bought Ninja Theory.
Pretty much.

For the short term the conference didn't do that much for me, but it did prove to me that MS is literally doubling down on gaming and will be a part of the industry for years to come. Hopefully we'll see some of the results as early as E3 next year.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
BTW, most of these studios won't have any new games ready before 2019/20:

- The Initiative is 2020 at the earliest. It's a new studio and a new IP so it'll probably take 4+ years. Do the math (around 2022).
- Undead Labs just released SoD2 and will probably be focused on post-launch support for some time. Next game (SoD3?) is also 2021 at the earliest.
- It took more than 3 years for Ninja Theory to make Hellblade, so I'd say their next game will also be 2021 at earliest (unless they go back to one of their cancelled projects).
- Compulsion Games hasn't even launched We Happy Few, so 2021 at the earliest.
- Playground is working on Forza Horizon 4 and Fable right now. We're getting FH4 this October, and Fable is probably aiming for a 2021 release. The next Forza Horizon game (5?) will probably be out before Fable, around 2020.

Though this doesn't worry me. 2019 looks awesome in terms of 1st party output:
- Ori
- Crackdown 3
- Cuphead DLC
- Battletoads
- Gears Pop!
- Gears 5
+ Obligatory Forza Motorsport game

More like 21/22. Ambitious games take about 4 years for most studios to make. This is a long term fix. Short term they will rely on Forza, Gears, Halo...in that order through 2020.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
More like 21/22. Ambitious games take about 4 years for most studios to make. This is a long term fix. Short term they will rely on Forza, Gears, Halo...in that order through 2020.
For their internal studios that may be true.

We could still see new games from external studios though. Plus there's a chance that Age of Empires 4 could be ported to XBO.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Man, fall 2018 is so loaded with games it's unreal.

Yep, from September on I'll be grabbing:

• Spider-Man (PS4) - September 7
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – September 14
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy (PS4, Xbox One) – September 21
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One, PC) - October 2
  • Battlefield V (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – October 19
  • Red Dead Redemption II (PS4, Xbox One) – October 26
  • Hitman 2 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – November 13
  • Fallout 76 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - November 14
  • Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! (Switch) - November 16
  • Just Cause 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - December 4

Any idea what will be happening on tonight's Inside Xbox?

Reveal of that new game from Bohemia, Astroneer news, likely some platform feature news, hopefully the reveal of the Elitev2

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Yep for me from September on:

Reveal of that new game from Bohemia, Astroneer news, likely some platform feature news, hopefully the reveal of the Elitev2
Heads up you missed Dragon Quest XI coming out on the 4th September

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that surprised me during the Xbox show was that FH4 truly is the only exclusive left for Xbox this year.

I don't mind because tons of third party games are releasing to keep me busy but yeah.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 most watched Xbox E3 videos (Xbox channel only):
https://www.youtube.com/user/xbox/videos

1. Forza Horizon 4
circa 800,000 views
(yes, this game will be absolutely massive)

2. Halo Infinite
circa 540,000 views

3. Devil May Cry 5
circa 295,00 views

4. PUBG
circa 205,000 views

5. Ori and The Will of The Wisps
circa 195,000 views

Both Gears 5 trailers reach circa 300,000 views cumulative.

Even Battletoads reached pretty good 120,000 views.

The Halo trailer on the official Halo channel has 1.3 million views .

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Was he also childish when he "shamed" Konami of how they treated Kojima during VGA? He is many times the only one with balls to tell the audience how things truly are.

This is what I like about the guy - this part shows he has some journalistic integrity. He was right to point out that a corporation treated one of the best creators in the industry as trash.

Also - he simply aired a legal battle happening between Konami and Kojima. Those were facts. He didn't uninvite Konami or award Kojima personally despite Konami's requests. He just stated why Kojima wasn't in attendance and (rightfully) felt no need to pull punches.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, from September on I'll be grabbing:

Forza Horizon 4 has the best spot of all of them. So far. Will see what other games get announced haha.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Was the Walmart leak about Dragon Quest wrong? Nothing announced for Xbox?
We can't say if it's wrong or right because they didn't show that game at their press conference.

Walmart Canada leak said Dragon Quest Builders 2 was coming to Xbox One. They only showed DQXI today which is very different from DQ Builders 2. DQ Builders is more Minecraft-esque.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 has the best spot of all of them. So far. Will see what other games get announced haha.
Agreed, was gonna say Fallout/Pokemon isn't too bad either.. But then I remembered RDRO will probably be delayed a week or 2 again.

Spiderman I'm iffy on, the date is good but I think the legs are gonna be hurt massively with all those games following it so it will depend heavily on it's out the gate sales.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
So, some thoughts on E3 and MS first party:

Basically, I love the commitment, the new studios are nice and I think its great they're investing, I hope they continue to be open to that where opportunities arise and Im assuming there are some new projects ongoing at Compulsion and Ninja Theory that might explain what MS specifically wanted to buy them for but I liked Contrast and Heavenly Sword so maybe it was that but we'll see.

I am however disappointed at the lack of content last year and this year, next year looks better - CD3, Ori 2, Gears 5, maybe something Halo? and a Forza obv. It just shows that after 2014 they really didnt greenlight much that wasnt a core franchise and thats disappointing.

I dont think its good for game pass either that they squashed SOT and SOD2 together then FH4 in October then the gap to Crackdown 3, im glad that game is getting the it needs dont get me wrong, but MS havent announced a new IP since E3 2015 and dont have any announced. I know what Zhuge has said about next-gen and I appreciate the insights on development, but im a consumer and a console owner, i've never been very interested in corporate BS about "being held back" and Phil getting the job "only 6 months ago" when hes been head of Xbox for 4 years and all the cancellations.

I guess I will just have to be satisfied that there is a commitment to the future and we'll see what happens. It was a good show overall though, a much better presentation than they've done in years and the Gears stuff looked great although not sure why Tactics isnt hitting Xbox too.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We can't say if it's wrong or right because they didn't show that game at their press conference.

Walmart Canada leak said Dragon Quest Builders 2 was coming to Xbox One. They only showed DQXI today which is very different from DQ Builders 2. DQ Builders is more Minecraft-esque.

I expected Builders or even Heroes before XI.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Our podcast team interviewed Geoff a couple of years back. The man is a notorious joker and that tweet represents his style - a good burn but all in fun. I doubt the Xbox team were offended and those who know him probably took it as a joke (at least I think so.) I wouldn't be too offended by it.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Our podcast team interviewed Geoff a couple of years back. The man is a notorious joker and that tweet represents his style - a good burn but all in fun. I doubt the Xbox team were offended and those who know him probably took it as a joke (at least I think so.) I wouldn't be too offended by it.

Fair.

Maybe I'm just not into his approach than.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm surprised they are showing Gears 5 at Inside Xbox (which is Holiday 2019) but not Crackdown 3 (which is February)? Doesn't make much sense to me considering Gears is WAY farther than Crackdown.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They are showing Gears?
DfYdqRpU8AAzqEw

They're using Gears 5 (second image) to promote Inside Xbox and they say "including more information on exclusives Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5."

Gears 5 but no Crackdown 3 when Crackdown 3 releases first?

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
So from the image on the previous page, is that all they are going over on Inside? No Controller, No avatars, No Minecraft?

Edit: now it is right above my post.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm surprised they are showing Gears 5 at Inside Xbox (which is Holiday 2019) but not Crackdown 3 (which is February)? Doesn't make much sense to me considering Gears is WAY farther than Crackdown.

Crackdown 3 will get its share of coverage as it gets closer to its release date. I know it looks weird on the surface but Gears 5 is kind of a safer show at this point in time.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So from the image on the previous page, is that all they are going over on Inside? No Controller, No avatars, No Minecraft?

Edit: now it is right above my post.
Don't know, they'll probably go over OS feature updates, announce small games such as ports or indies, announce backward compatible games and announce Game Pass games. That's the extent of what I expect other than the games listed above.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
DfYdqRpU8AAzqEw

They're using Gears 5 (second image) to promote Inside Xbox and they say "including more information on exclusives Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5."

Gears 5 but no Crackdown 3 when Crackdown 3 releases first?

Ah yeah i am blind. But yeah atm i give up on Crackdown and when they show MP. I expected it last year on E3. Nothing happened. Got dissapointed again this year and now i have no clue anymore whats going. That i just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.