• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

while i dont doubt there are some problems within obsidian (its clear they have no idea how to properly manage their resources and time since every project is such a close call for them) avellone isnt the better person to be talking about them. he still got some... grudges and is very emotional about them.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this interview with Phil on mixer is live or a rebroadcast but it's pretty good but I really wish there were some questions about more of the niche Japanese titles the xbox doesn't get. But a good interview with theixer community manager.

Yeah, that was actually a really great interview with some interesting words from Phil IMO. Here are a couple of takeaways that I got:

• Phil absolutely said that they are not done with acquiring studios as they will continue to look for adding content, and they have the commitment right from the top of Microsoft for this. I have said all along that if they are really wanting to commit to Xbox Game Pass as a long play then they definitely need content, so that may be a good driver for them actually looking to add more studios as Phil said.
  • He was asked about any specifics relative to the "next Xbox" that is already being worked on as noted during the E3 conference. He said unsurprisingly that FPS was a really important thing that they realize matters, which makes perfect sense of course and would really address the current CPU shortcomings of the current generation consoles. While I am not saying that he was directly linking the two things or anything, he did immediately go into a mention of the Ray Tracing technology that was talked about in the last 6 months as the true next generation graphics type technology (Microsoft is putting support for this into DirectX). I can't imagine that this is possible in a holiday 2020 console type release, but maybe they will have some crazy initial support for ray tracing built into the silicon and such.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Yeah, that was actually a really great interview with some interesting words from Phil IMO. Here are a couple of takeaways that I got:

• Phil absolutely said that they are not done with acquiring studios as they will continue to look for adding content, and they have the commitment right from the top of Microsoft for this. I have said all along that if they are really wanting to commit to Xbox Game Pass as a long play then they definitely need content, so that may be a good driver for them actually looking to add more studios as Phil said.
  • He was asked about any specifics relative to the "next Xbox" that is already being worked on as noted during the E3 conference. He said unsurprisingly that FPS was a really important thing that they realize matters, which makes perfect sense of course and would really address the current CPU shortcomings of the current generation consoles. While I am not saying that he was directly linking the two things or anything, he did immediately go into a mention of the Ray Tracing technology that was talked about in the last 6 months as the true next generation graphics type technology (Microsoft is putting support for this into DirectX). I can't imagine that this is possible in a holiday 2020 console type release, but maybe they will have some crazy initial support for ray tracing built into the silicon and such.

Yeah. I also like the crackdown discussion basically owning why it was delayed ( he played and wanted it better) and that it could've come out in fall but admitted the amount of games coming out then. Then admitted after seeing all the other games coming out he may look at the release date again. He half joked, but I think it's a reasonable thought.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Compulsion games is made up of former Bioshock and Arcane studio people. They can make walking simulator type story driven games for game pass.

I just hope they put NT on some AAA project and not budget project like Hellblade for game pass.

As far as more studio acquisition is concerned then I want Armature studios ,Obsidian and Crytek. Heck I will take Bhomeia interactive too.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I thought this was awesome ( check out the highlighted reply)

Apologies if olde.

DXZuMka.jpg

Penn is a legit good dude. I follow him on Twitter and I'm not even a huge magic fan.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ms should create an user voice specifically for users to suggest acquisitions, and them each month they acquire the most voted (reasonable) studio.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I for one think it's awesome they are developing PC focused titles. Not EVERYTHING needs to come day and date on XB1. I don't really expect Age of Empires 4 to "traditionally" be available on Xbox either...and that's a good thing to make the game the best it can be on the target platform
I agree with the game must be done with the best input for the game in mind. But they should support such input on xbox as well.

Maybe even make a comfy couch gamer mouse and keyboard accessory.

But ideally they should make a platform level feature that allows even mouse/keyboard only games to be playable on a controller... Kinda like they do with UI for apps.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else Own Outer Wilds even though they didn't buy it?

Maybe this is some kind of glitch :/
I hope I didn't pay for it, it looks pretty interesting but thats pretty weird

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else Own Outer Wilds even though they didn't buy it?

Maybe this is some kind of glitch :/
I hope I didn't pay for it, it looks pretty interesting but thats pretty weird

Did you watch Inside Xbox or the Xbox briefing on Mixer? It was a part of the MixPot, the collection of things you get for using Mixer during one of those events.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think these acquisitions have completed to be completely honest. Microsoft Studios "Studios" page doesn't show any of their new five. I'm assuming government still has to approve them.

Should that really have an effect on whether the game can be on gamepass though?

Ninja Theory own the IP and published it and they are definitely going to be purchased (even if the deal isn't fully finalised) so it should be entirely up to them.

Maybe it's still a hassle with licensing etc. I dunno.

Edit: are people starting to receive their mixpots then? I haven't got anything yet...

Edit 2: it just appeared literally in front of my eyes. Awesome!

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018

wow nice find.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Since we happy few is going to be on PS4 I wonder if MS will keep putting smaller games like this on PS4, or more likely they are probably letting the developers put the game on PS4 because they did all the work to make the port and it would be a jerk move not to let them put it out.

Plus it would also be bad to all the PS gamers who were excited for the game but as a corporation I doubt MS would really care about that.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Since we happy few is going to be on PS4 I wonder if MS will keep putting smaller games like this on PS4, or more likely they are probably letting the developers put the game on PS4 because they did all the work to make the port and it would be a jerk move not to let them put it out.

Plus it would also be bad to all the PS gamers who were excited for the game but as a corporation I doubt MS would really care about that.
The game is being published by Gearbox so it's up to them where the game gets released.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

No way their next game is on PS4. Pretty sure Gearbox is still publishing We Happy Few, so I doubt Microsoft has very much say into what platforms it's published for.

Minecraft is an anomaly.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I just hope they put NT on some AAA project and not budget project like Hellblade for game pass.

I am hoping for the opposite. Ninja Theory has 5 teams. If each team works on games that are relatively small (Hellblade-esque) then by the time the next Xbox launches we could see a new game every year from them added to Game Pass. I could also see the Hellblade team working on an AAA game while the other teams work on smaller projects.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I am hoping for the opposite. Ninja Theory has 5 teams. If each team works on games that are relatively small (Hellblade-esque) then by the time the next Xbox launches we could see a new game every year from them added to Game Pass. I could also see the Hellblade team working on an AAA game while the other teams work on smaller projects.
did only 25 people work on Hellblade?
If they double the staff assuedly they could make a big AAA game without too much bloat.
I just hope MS doesn't force them to put in MP.

That should be only something they do if they want to.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
did only 25 people work on Hellblade?
If they double the staff assuedly they could make a big AAA game without too much bloat.
I just hope MS doesn't force them to put in MP.

That should be only something they do if they want to.

Yes, Hellblade was made by a team of 20-something developers. The rest of Ninja Theory is split into four other teams. If I were Microsoft I'd give the Hellblade team a nice budget and a set of progression milestones and let them make whatever they want. In the Ninja Theory video they said Microsoft promised them full creative control and no outside monetization so hopefully MS keeps their word.

Jan 4, 2018
Steam and GOG release after Windows/Xbox
But in that case won't it be called console exclusive instead of console launch exclusive as if it's only timed?
After being so impressed with MS E3 Conference and that they are remaining committed to their game pass, I decided to jump onto the Xbox One, especially the price I found it for from an ebay store.

9b9df227fc2549924a95809f56134b48.png

Throw on a game pass for £1 for the first month and I'm not running out of games anytime soon.
9b9df227fc2549924a95809f56134b48
Welcome to the family! We're strange, but nice!

Probably if they decided not to launch on PS they'll incur in some penalty and have to pay a compensation, so possibly they left it as is (also it would have bothered Gearbox as a publisher, with whom they entertain a good relationship)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But in that case won't it be called console exclusive instead of console launch exclusive as if it's only timed?

Welcome to the family! We're strange, but nice!

Probably if they decided not to launch on PS they'll incur in some penalty and have to pay a compensation, so possibly they left it as is (also it would have bothered Gearbox as a publisher, with whom they entertain a good relationship)

Then most likely a PS4 game in the near future.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't someone from MDHR come on here and say the game was lifetime exclusive to MS and won't be on other consoles?

I guess it would make sense if its a Ninja Gaiden scenario where NG was always exclusive to Xbox but sigma came to Playstation.

PS4? I'm sure Studio MDHR are salivating at the thought of putting Cuphead on Switch because it would sell gangbusters.
Could switch run the game?

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen some comments here that people are afraid PG studio #2 will become a Fable studio. We don't have any reason yet to believe that. Of course if it's a smash hit(hope so) they might be put on Fable from there on.

However, I would say it isn't out of the question that they may get creative freedom too. Maybe the majority of the studio don't want to start on a Fable 5 just yet. Or maybe they do and that's fine. And maybe after a few Fables take a break and bring something new just like how ND brought us The last of Us and GG Horizon ZD.

But let's say they DO become the Fable studio, keep in mind that you can do a ton with a open world RPG. Just look at BGS. All their Elder Scrolls games were vastly different from each other in terms of setting alone. This could work for Fable too. First and foremost let's just patiently await and see what good stuff they're working on.

Rodneybouch

Feb 28, 2018
With Ashen coming this year on gamepass and Below coming out this year on xbox store. We are gonna have some good independant game. :)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't someone from MDHR come on here and say the game was lifetime exclusive to MS and won't be on other consoles?

I guess it would make sense if its a Ninja Gaiden scenario where NG was always exclusive to Xbox but sigma came to Playstation.

Could switch run the game?
If somebody from MDHR said that than that settles that. LOL

Oct 26, 2017
With this "new" Microsoft ,I just can't help but hope Sunset Overdrive 2 still can get a chance. Insomniac wants to make it, they just need the greenlight. But even if not MS, why oh why doesn't any other publisher want to pick this up?

If MS were to announce this at a future E3 Spencer really will be my hero then, really!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With this "new" Microsoft ,I just can't help but hope Sunset Overdrive 2 still can get a chance. Insomniac wants to make it, they just need the greenlight. But even if not MS, why oh why doesn't any other publisher want to pick this up?

If MS were to announce this at a future E3 Spencer really will be my hero then, really!
Why would another publisher spend Triple A money for a sequel to a game that didn't sell well and for an IP that's not theirs?

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Hellblade was made by a team of 20-something developers. The rest of Ninja Theory is split into four other teams. If I were Microsoft I'd give the Hellblade team a nice budget and a set of progression milestones and let them make whatever they want. In the Ninja Theory video they said Microsoft promised them full creative control and no outside monetization so hopefully MS keeps their word.
The way I see it, ninja theory and compulsion can act like vanity studios to make mid to large sized games sp or whatever while their other studios will have tentpol games that are known franchises or MP focused etc. it just gives a bit of balance. People are still going to complain because well what else is new

Status
Not open for further replies.