Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Lots of good info from that Phil interview

- State of decay and Sea of Thieves sold very well/ above expectations even though they were on XGP
- XGP players are playing more games(4-5 per week more) than non XGP players. Also they are buying more games
- The Initiative is early
- seemed like Ninja Theory have been doing stuff since the last game shipped last year
- Seems that studio heads have pretty much autonomy over the IP they do. Ex. He mentioned how Gears Pop was a Rod decision and also the decision to showing at E3 was Rod
- Phil didn't like how Crackdown felt when he played it which played a role in the delay as well as a crowded Fall.
I feel like we will see a teaser for both Fable and Ninja Theory's new game at E3 2019.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
he actually bothered to comment further about how he thought viva pinata was ahead of its time though - it was the only game he expanded upon

BELIEVE

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Welp time to speculate until we start scrapping the bottom of the barrel on what the next acquisition from Microsoft will be

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he actually bothered to comment further about how he thought viva pinata was ahead of its time though - it was the only game he expanded upon

BELIEVE
Speaking of Viva Pinata, if they ever bring the series back, will they also release it on the Nintendo Switch? Remember that Viva Pinata had a Nintendo DS version which was pretty ace.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Viva Pinata, if they ever bring the series back, will they also release it on the Nintendo Switch? Remember that Viva Pinata had a Nintendo DS version which was pretty ace.

banjo had two gba games after MS bought them but nuts & bolt is MS exclusive

why the hell would they hand nintendo a free game

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
banjo had two gba games after MS bought them but nuts & bolt is MS exclusive

why the hell would they hand nintendo a free game
You may as well ask why they put Viva Pinata on the Nintendo DS in 2008. Or Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo DS in 2007. The actual reason, I suppose, is that Rare used to have a handheld division and Microsoft didn't have a handheld console. Microsoft have owned Mojang since 2014, yet you'll find Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch, because it suits them to allow the game on the Nintendo Switch. Sure, they're handing Nintendo a game that will sell Nintendo Switches, but they don't seem to mind. Viva Pinata, as a game, would be well suited to having different versions aimed at different platforms. Think Xbox, PC, phones, and of course Switch.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Mojang case is different. The game was already scheduled to hit everything known to man, microsoft just didnt cancel it. Similar with what will happen with We Happy Few - it will still release on PS4. Plus, Minecraft makes people dip into their ecosystem and create live accounts.

Unless its a Viva Piñata online or something i dont know why they would just give nintendo a game without getting anything back. They're not that friendly with each other yet.

Last edited:

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I am hoping for the opposite. Ninja Theory has 5 teams. If each team works on games that are relatively small (Hellblade-esque) then by the time the next Xbox launches we could see a new game every year from them added to Game Pass. I could also see the Hellblade team working on an AAA game while the other teams work on smaller projects.
I want AAA 3rd person cinematic games bro. Xbox need that ND template games.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Man guys the road to next E3 is going to be crazy between next Xbox, more studio being acquired, and hearing about what other studios are working on man it's going to be dope.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When they say they want to be "free of the AAA machine" I take it as they want to no longer be a studio that's too big for indie and too small for AAA (referenced in the article as well), not that they won't make AAA games. Besides, if 20 people could make Hellblade, I have a hard time believing a project with 100 people on it wouldn't be anything but AAA.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think NT will make something on the level of AAA. When they said free of the AAA machine, they were probably worried about publisher constraints.

They said in their video of being bought by MS, that they want to go bigger than they ever have before. That says a big project is in the works to me.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
if they dont want to make a massive AAA game and stick to an indie making AAA game type deal its fine with me honestly. It also probably means more games more frequently as all the teams grow under MS. Would be one hell of a studio for Gamepass if they can put out a game every 2 years alternating between like a Team A and Team B which would give each game about 4 years.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Which studio is MS buying to make Halo RPG, because I know it's coming I have faith.
Larian, even they might be too successful now after D:OS1 and 2 blew up.
Harebrain schemes just sold to Paradox, so they are unfortunately out.
inXile is tied up in their fig-funded Wastland 3 project until at least 2019.
Really mixed feelings on Warhorse, and they only have 1 buggy game under them

Deck13, devs of the surge, makes souls-like rpgs if that counts, not a good fit for halo though
and very loosely, Techland, whose Dying Light 2 looks leaning RPGish now

+ Obsidian, as others have suggested,
and that might be the end of the list of sub-AAA, above-Indie RPG devs with good record.

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian and Bioware about to get got by MS to make RPG's

(and Capcom to make KI and single entry new IP action games only) :P

Bioware is owned by EA

I still think going after EA for their core studios and making EA Sports an entity like Mojang is the right move for them long term. Would bring back Bioware and DICE back under MS Publishing which they've missed hugely

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the dev acquisitions had some prior relationship with microsoft.

So if they stick with dev's who they have a relationship with the first two that stands out to me is Insomniac and Remedy.

I don't think this will happen, but definitely the two that pops out to me

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I want Bioware to be with MS..I think MS will give them far more creative freedom and support than EA especially with Phill as head of entire MS entertainment division..

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the dev acquisitions had some prior relationship with microsoft.

So if they stick with dev's who they have a relationship with the first two that stands out to me is Insomniac and Remedy.

I think that as these new and existing Microsoft studios demonstrate how the culture at Xbox has changed, it will be a lot easier to bring larger studios on board to Xbox first party.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Insomniac will be on Spiderman for a while, so not them.

Remedy doesn't seem far fetched at all. With Control, it seems they course corrected and determined how to focus and get on track to release inside of a 3-year period, and with only a portion of the studio no less. I think they like working on bigger games. We know for certain that they would live to work on Alan Wake again and they have a very long history with MS. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they strike another publishing deal at some point at the very least.

I want to see MS work with Mistwalker again. Sakaguchi is a story teller who could do great things with proper funding.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
that sucks. They should aim for the Sun now after getting support from MS

Ahh that's a shame. A triple-a version of something like Hellblade but bigger, better, more gameplay focused and with even greater production values, could have been truly special.

You all are misunderstanding that. What he means is that they want to be free from the corporate monetization of AAA gaming experiences. They want to be able to make games with their own vision and not be pressured into making game design decisions based on huge profit margins. He mentions Gamepass being a great avenue for that mindset.

A good example of a dev vision over monetization is the new God of War. No gimmicks for loot boxes or pay maps that have all areas marked. A game that is a slave to the AAA machine would be something like Ubisoft's hits where you can buy silver bars (or whatever) with real money to upgrade shit. That is baked in monetization that no game dev who is passion first would ever even dream up to put in their games. Waste of head space.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You all are misunderstanding that. What he means is that they want to be free from the corporate monetization of AAA gaming experiences. They want to be able to make games with their own vision and not be pressured into making game design decisions based on huge profit margins. He mentions Gamepass being a great avenue for that mindset.

A good example of a dev vision over monetization is the new God of War. No gimmicks for loot boxes or pay maps that have all areas marked. A game that is a slave to the AAA machine would be something like Ubisoft's hits where you can buy silver bars (or whatever) with real money to upgrade shit. That is baked in monetization that no game dev who is passion first would ever even dream up to put in their games. Waste of head space.
Exactly.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Buying EA seems like a stretch. I'd go for a publishing deal with Bungie for a new IP tbh. They aren't as tainted as people think but if they only want to make Destiny like games then maybe it's best not too. A 2 game contract for a smaller SP only AAA shooter would be nice.

4A studios is another team they should look into, gotta think after this metro game they will want to make a new IP.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
No Sakaguchi, please.

I like him but his games will take too long to make and just risky. I prefer MS to focus on getting more Japanese games on Xbox rather than funding and failing to sell.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
When they say they want to be "free of the AAA machine" I take it as they want to no longer be a studio that's too big for indie and too small for AAA (referenced in the article as well), not that they won't make AAA games. Besides, if 20 people could make Hellblade, I have a hard time believing a project with 100 people on it wouldn't be anything but AAA.

This is my take on it as well.

Jan 4, 2018

Well, CDPR had W2 exclusive to X360 and W3 and CP2077 unveiled at MS's E3 conference... :p

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may have missed something - I was under the impression that their E3 list was the end of their studio spending spree...

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
In terms of likely Eastern European studios for acquisition honestly 4A wouldn't surprise me, people suggesting CDPR are out of their gourd imo. 4A is a smaller studio and doesn't own their main IP but a big benefit of Metro is you don't need to own the IP to make stuff in the universe so if they were bought they could still make Metro games just fine.

Yukio Futatsugi, all I'm saying.
This

Dot Matrix

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I want Bioware to be with MS..I think MS will give them far more creative freedom and support than EA especially with Phill as head of entire MS entertainment division..
If the docs were still there sure, now bio is a shambling soulless corpse and judging by the lack of enthusiasm and vigor the developers showed at e3 anthem might be their last game. Obsidian are capable of bettering the best version of bioware, thats the buy phil should have made instead of undead labs.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They aren't going to buy EA, Insomniac has an arguably better relationship with Sony and Remedy wants to do their own thing according to Sam.

Let's wait and see what the 5 new studios have in store for us. I've read a lot of talk about Undead getting on SoD3 asap which I hope DOES NOT happen. SoD2 was a mess the last time I played it. I'd rather have them use the MS backing to make it a polished and great game.

At least MS seems a bit prepared now for the next generation. I hope the studios have stuff to show off by then to entice people to buy the new Xbox instead of going with a PS5 right away.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You may as well ask why they put Viva Pinata on the Nintendo DS in 2008. Or Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo DS in 2007. The actual reason, I suppose, is that Rare used to have a handheld division and Microsoft didn't have a handheld console. Microsoft have owned Mojang since 2014, yet you'll find Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch, because it suits them to allow the game on the Nintendo Switch. Sure, they're handing Nintendo a game that will sell Nintendo Switches, but they don't seem to mind. Viva Pinata, as a game, would be well suited to having different versions aimed at different platforms. Think Xbox, PC, phones, and of course Switch.

I think with phones and the link, the motivation for releasing on another company's console is far, far lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.