Status
Not open for further replies.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
The notion that Collectathons dont do well today , or that people dont like them is wrong

I did not say collectathons are inherently unliked or don't do well, I said the Banjo games specifically. I just feel those games don't stand the test of time. People will play and get bored of them very quick in this day and age. Mario Odyssey (I haven't' played it), I would think has a lot more going on than these games from 1998/2000.

I just think it would be a waste of resources to just give the older games some nicer graphics and call it a day. If they were to actually remake the games and add to them, that could be a different story.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did not say collectathons are inherently unliked or don't do well, I said the Banjo games specifically. I just feel those games don't stand the test of time. People will play and get bored of them very quick in this day and age. Mario Odyssey (I haven't' played it), I would think has a lot more going on than these games from 1998/2000.

I just think it would be a waste of resources to just give the older games some nicer graphics and call it a day. If they were to actually remake the games and add to them, that could be a different story.

Honestly Mario Odyssey isn't doing much more than BK did in the 90's.
I'd say the big difference is just the sheer number of collectables in that game (ie. you are practically rewarded a moon for doing everything).

But it has I think 12 or 13 different mostly smaller worlds to explore and collect stuff.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

As somebody who has played them in the last few years, I disagree with you. Banjo Kazooie is to this day one of the best collectathons ever made with great artistic style, music, and charm. Would a remake sell 5 million copies and be 90+ meta? probably not, but i do imagine it would be very successful, well received, and a big game pass game.

And honestly, Mario Odyssey and Banjo Kazooie are not wildly different.

Roronoa Zoro90

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
With the Spyro release, not long after the Crash release, I don't think that 2018 woul be the perfect window for a surprise Banjo release, even 2019 with Battletoads isn't feasible. Imo the best case scenario would the lanch of the new console, as the premium platform game of Xbox.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who has played them in the last few years, I disagree with you. Banjo Kazooie is to this day one of the best collectathons ever made with great artistic style, music, and charm. Would a remake sell 5 million copies and be 90+ meta? probably not, but i do imagine it would be very successful, well received, and a big game pass game.

And honestly, Mario Odyssey and Banjo Kazooie are not wildly different.

I would be ecstatic if they released a Banjo Kazooie/Tooie remaster and it did very well. In any event, if they do decide to do a remaster, I'll take it as them testing the waters for the IP - and that would at least be a good sign. I feel like they should just make a new game, but if they don't think it's safe or smart to do that without reintroducing the IP, that's fine too.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on Banjo Tooie here?

I personally agree with the dude who said BK is one of the best collecathons every but I really disliked the sequal.
It was way too bloated, trying to keep track of all the ways the worlds cross paths and having stuff very early on clearly gated until you unlocked an ability or opened up a part of a level in a totally seperate level down the road was just incredibly frustrating.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is not being worked on

No one remembers Klobrille hinting that it's not what you would think is your top 1 or 2 platformer that MIGHT be working on?

Think theres a Voodoo Vince sequel in the making

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Personally, if any N64-era Rare games are being revisited I'd put Jet Force Gemini at the top and would like to see a more fleshed-out and graphic-intensive Blast Corps.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
banjo rumours have been popping up before every e3 for years now, no surprise we see them before x018 I'm not expecting to see it, but I'll always hope xd

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I would flip my shit if Voodoo Vince got a remake or a sequel. My daughter LOVES that game. She calls Sour Patch Kids "Voodoo Vince candies".

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Even though those job listing last year clearly spoke about a open world game I don't believe it ever said RPG and of course we had the rumors about it being Fable. We then also had Phil Spencer saying open world game but it's damn good to see the word RPG coming from the dev himself.

Shit I can't wait until they reveal this game, that moment during a E3 (undoubtedly) will be super.
I'm pretty sure they did. They appear at least as far back as January, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was earlier than that. Unfortunately, it only goes back to July at the latest for last year, which if I recall, that was before the project became Fable.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure they did. They appear at least as far back as January, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was earlier than that. Unfortunately, it only goes back to July at the latest for last year, which if I recall, that was before the project became Fable.

I fully stand corrected :)

I just saw a new video by Colteastwood and he speculated that Ninja Theory could be completing Scalebound. Personally I doubt that though.

Oct 26, 2017
So with the news about Sony recruiting marketing people for next gen, I guess that increases the chances of a reveal and maybe launch of PS5 next year. If that's the case MS can't be waiting too long, I doubt they want to do that. Also according to Colt there have been rumors that there could be Scarlett related stuff at XO18.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
What's the consensus on Banjo Tooie here?

I personally agree with the dude who said BK is one of the best collecathons every but I really disliked the sequal.
It was way too bloated, trying to keep track of all the ways the worlds cross paths and having stuff very early on clearly gated until you unlocked an ability or opened up a part of a level in a totally seperate level down the road was just incredibly frustrating.

Better than Kazooie to me. I like the bigger scope, bigger worlds and how they're connected and things you do in one affect the other. People got upset because they couldnt get all jiggies in one go on a world but i enjoyed that

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Thank you mate! ;)

Aside from H:CE and H2, my fondest memories from Xbox are PGR, Blinx and KOTOR.

A little random, but if you're a fan of the first Halo Trilogy, then I'd highly recommend you play through the Halo showcase in Forza Horizon 4 (assuming you haven't already). When you look at what it's made of (sounds, a few vehicles, some halo music) it doesn't sound like anything great, but goddamn was it something special for me. I don't know how or why, but when everything was put together for that showcase it just hit hard. I honestly want Infinite to release as soon as possible so I can play it, but also want them to take as much time (if not more) than they need to create the best possible experience.

Back on the acquisitions topic, I'd be really happy with a Playful buy. Super Lucky's Tale was a really weird game for me, I mean mechanically and aesthetically the game really isn't anything special, yet when I tried it out I ended up finishing the entire game before switching to something else. Something about the way they made 100%ing each level just obtainable enough that you try for it each time.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
So with the news about Sony recruiting marketing people for next gen, I guess that increases the chances of a reveal and maybe launch of PS5 next year. If that's the case MS can't be waiting too long, I doubt they want to do that. Also according to Colt there have been rumors that there could be Scarlett related stuff at XO18.

Who's Colt?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
MS should execute their plan. Not worry about Sony.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are starting to lose it with crazy rumours from unverified sources, folk need to reign it in a bit and listen to George.

giphy.gif

Let's not turn X018 into something it isn't.

Roronoa Zoro90

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
A little random, but if you're a fan of the first Halo Trilogy, then I'd highly recommend you play through the Halo showcase in Forza Horizon 4 (assuming you haven't already). When you look at what it's made of (sounds, a few vehicles, some halo music) it doesn't sound like anything great, but goddamn was it something special for me. I don't know how or why, but when everything was put together for that showcase it just hit hard. I honestly want Infinite to release as soon as possible so I can play it, but also want them to take as much time (if not more) than they need to create the best possible experience.

Back on the acquisitions topic, I'd be really happy with a Playful buy. Super Lucky's Tale was a really weird game for me, I mean mechanically and aesthetically the game really isn't anything special, yet when I tried it out I ended up finishing the entire game before switching to something else. Something about the way they made 100%ing each level just obtainable enough that you try for it each time.
Already done. :)

More than a platform developer, because between Rare itself, its porfolio and MSGP deals, I think that they are more or less covered in this area (even if an acquisition would be obviously the best cas scenario). On the contrary, I think that they must double down on action adventure developers, because only Ninja Theory fits the description among the new acquisitions and maybe The Initiative, but their scope is secret for now.

Any a/a independent developers that can be realistically included in MS Studios?

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the boards Roronoa Zoro90 and this community. I don't post as much as I should in here, but this is easily the best community area on the boards. Lot's of talk/speculation and respect for everyone here.

I would love to see them do something for Banjo at the event, even if we don't get remasters or a new game, but something special. If MS really does acquire Playful, I'd love to see them work on Banjo.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I fully stand corrected :)

I just saw a new video by Colteastwood and he speculated that Ninja Theory could be completing Scalebound. Personally I doubt that though.

Can we pleaseeeeee not post people like colteastwood?, him, crapgamer, dealer gaming etc are not credible, all their 'sourcing' literally comes from here, they don't know anything.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Benji said 2020 for both consoles.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I can definitely see PS5 releasing fall next year, but I really doubt the same would happen for the Next Box. I suppose MS could release it earlier if PS5 really is coming out fall next year, but I'd honestly prefer Q1/Q2 2020 as the absolute earliest.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Benji said 2020 for both consoles.
Who are all the ones that said 2019, and who are the ones that said 2020? I only know of one person to say 2019 (Matt, if I recall), while the rest believe it's 2020 (Schreier, and Benji are two of them). Of course, Matt did update and say plans can change, but that was the plan from the beginning (unless there's been an update I missed, he never said 2020 is the date now, did he?). Benji was also said 2019 too, but changed it to 2020 so he's officially on #Team2020.

I wonder if it has something to do with backwards compatibility?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Hmmm my bad then man. I thought he was a legit dude along with Rhand. Crap gamer I knew to avoid :)

I'll give you an example, Him, Dealer gaming and a bunch of other nobody's were randomly speculating the other day in their podcast about other studios being acquired and he goes "there have been rumours about Playdead being acquired", NO THERE HAVEN'T, no credible sources, websites, reporters etc have ever mentioned Playdead, the only place that has come close is here and even then it's just us casually speculating about who we think might join the other first party studios.

Rhands better but even then if it weren't for Jez Corden (head of Windows Central he does a podcast with every week) I would not give him the time of day.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give you an example, Him, Dealer gaming and a bunch of other nobody's were randomly speculating the other day in their podcast about other studios being acquired and he goes "there have been rumours about Playdead being acquired", NO THERE HAVEN'T, no credible sources, websites, reporters etc have ever mentioned Playdead, the only place that has come close is here and even then it's just us casually speculating about who we think might join the other first party studios.

Rhands better but even then if it weren't for Jez Corden (head of Windows Central he does a podcast with every week) I would not give him the time of day.
Jez is not the head of Windows Central. lol.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

If people want this forum to be better than Neogaf, I'd refrain from calling people nobodies. Not everyone who does a podcast has to be a legit insider. Most don't claim to be. I see no reason to insult a guy like Rhand.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think that the issue with era is less with the mods and more with the users.

The issue from my perspective is that most Sony fans far outnumber Microsoft's (and hell, even Nintendo's), much of this is due to GAF's being known as the Sony discussion hub when even the old moderators on that site used to console-war and did their best to push Xbox players away. Those mods are normal members now who rarely even post anymore (and IIRC ex GAF mods aren't allowed to moderate here?), but the userbase have fully migrated to era.

I understand if people who only post on the gaming side and mainly Xbox threads here perceive era's moderation as being lax on console warring users, but as someone who visits both the gaming and off-topic boards quite frequently I can tell you that era' moderation on multitude of things (except doxxing and death threats) is pretty tame in general, from covert racism to thinly veiled homophobia, users would often get a slap on the wrist, to me, I don't see them going easy on console warriors, it's more of how Era's moderation works in general from what I perceive as an avid poster here.

Xbox's threads could benefit from stricter moderation, though, barring tinfoil-wearing fanboys who might accuse the site of astroturfing Microsoft. I definitely agree that letting fanboys run amok then closing threads several days later has gotten tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.