• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Playful are also located in Texas, they IMO would be the most likely candidate.
If MS is looking into VR for Scarlett, I think that would be a smart investment as Star Child looks great and it seems they could be going in that direction with more of their games. They would have a VR focused studio right away.

You dont have to be so hostile. Colt and Rhand are actually informative and a great addition to the Xbox community. It is always nice to hear other fans discuss and speculate rumours and news.
Going with your theory, I shouldn't listen to Ryan (IGN) from Unlocked either.
C'mon now. Ryan McCaffrey is a journalist just a bit of integrity under his belt, someone I respect. Colt is only informative when he wants to be, and when it relates to the right company. There's stuff I could post on here to back up what I mean (and this stuff is well documented), but it would be going way off topic and probably end badly for the discussion so I'll just say this. Is cool in my books to like the guy and his commentary, but he had no insider sources, and is almost as bad in his behaviour as The_Crapgamer. Acting as though people who have problems with his behaviour or have been on the receiving end, are being "hostile" is weirdly defensive.

Last edited:

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I'll give you an example, Him, Dealer gaming and a bunch of other nobody's were randomly speculating the other day in their podcast about other studios being acquired and he goes "there have been rumours about Playdead being acquired", NO THERE HAVEN'T, no credible sources, websites, reporters etc have ever mentioned Playdead, the only place that has come close is here and even then it's just us casually speculating about who we think might join the other first party studios.

Rhands better but even then if it weren't for Jez Corden (head of Windows Central he does a podcast with every week) I would not give him the time of day.

Rand and beastfire Tim dog from bgst are the only youtubers I really trust with information even before rand was on the podcast with jez he knew somethings dealer is starting to be in the know but it's going to take time before I take his word like the other two I mentioned

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Timdog? Isn't he a known fool like Misterxmedia?

I feel like I've just gone back to the dark months of 2013 console reveals.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If MS is looking into VR for Scarlett, I think that would be a smart investment as Star Child looks great and it seems they could be going in that direction with more of their games. They would have a VR focused studio right away.

C'mon now. Ryan McCaffrey is a journalist just a bit of integrity under his belt, someone I respect. Colt is only informative when he wants to be, and when it relates to the right company. There's stuff I could post on here to back up what I mean (and this stuff is well documented), but it would be going way off topic and probably end badly for the discussion so I'll just say this. Is cool in my books to like the guy and his commentary, but he had no insider sources, and is almost as bad in his behaviour as The_Crapgamer. Acting as though people who have problems with his behaviour or have been on the receiving end, are being "hostile" is weirdly defensive.

I mentioned Ryan because he does a lot speculation in his videos. You can tell he has no idea what is going to happen sometimes. I wasn't discrediting him as a journalist. I also follow him.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I might get some heat for saying that, but I don't know why MS should acquire Playful. Their Lucky's Tale series is very average.

I understand them wanting smaller studios for a more continious stream of games on Game Pass, but still quality must be a priority imo. And I just didn't see any of that while playing their game.

Am I missing something, like a prior good game ?

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Sure they are talented but what about that video makes you think that?

I think it's easy to see that they're closely working with Microsoft in terms of augmented reality. All I think it shows is that Playful and Microsoft have a close relationship. I actually think the biggest takeaway from this video is the fact that Playful is moving into a building that's 45,000 square feet big.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Sure they are talented but what about that video makes you think that?

The video doesn't necessarily push the idea of them being acquired, just gives everyone here a bit more insight on what kind of studio we're looking at here (with obviously some adjustments with new staff and team leads supposedly moving over there recently).

Otherwise:
First off the studio is in Texas (a location that Klobrille hinted at)
Studio is run by former Ensemble Studios people (connection to MS right there)
Additional rumors circulating in this thread in regards to changes of staff and projects

Not to mention how defensive many individuals at Microsoft were over super Lucky's Tale last year (although that makes sense since its an MS product, I've never seen them defend a game as much as SLT was).

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I think it's easy to see that they're closely working with Microsoft in terms of augmented reality. All I think it shows is that Playful and Microsoft have a close relationship. I actually think the biggest takeaway from this video is the fact that Playful is moving into a building that's 45,000 square feet big.
50,000 sq. ft., which is interesting because that's almost three times as big as PG's new studio is (17,000 sq. ft. and can hold over 200 developers).

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Ok so you think maybe Microsoft has a contract for Playful to expand employees to a certain amount by a time and they need a new office that's big enough for that capacity similar to Obsidian or?

Apr 6, 2018
Would really like to see a remake with the same level of upgrade as what Ratchet and Clank received from Insomniac this gen.
That was not a remake of the same game, it was a different transposition of the same story, but it's not like Crash, Halo 2 or shadow of the colussus, some parts of the old are missing, others are new.
It's like comparing the lotr version of 1978 and the 2001/3 one, same story but different products

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. This is some interesting info.. they could be to MS what old Rare was to Nintendo. Make kid friendly games and revive MS old franchises (platformers) and also make some new ones along the way.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Think that the issue with era is less with the mods and more with the users.

Sure and the mods are much better than the old place but the issue with the users come down to knowing they won't get banned.

If you know you're gonna get sniped for talking shit you wouldn't do it and they'd either be politer or just leave threads alone, instead they don't and Xbox threads are just a wasteland of crap and this is by far the best place to talk about because the idiots don't really come in.

I'm sure there's other issues on the board but if you let the inmate runs the asylum it's going to be chaos. You don't have to run the place like North Korea either.

Anyway have ms bought anyone else yet

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they reference Holo Lens and that they're getting a new office vaguely points to an acquisition, I suppose. Nobody else really talks about Holo Lens.

Oct 27, 2017
If you follow this thread every day why haven't I heard about the Bethesda rumor on your YouTube channel?!

Is Phil paying you to keep quiet or are you afraid to take the L...HMNNNN?!

Just kidding!

Love the show you and Jez and all the other YouTubers make my work day survivable. Keep up the good work!

Funny you should mention the Bethesda thing.... Check the channel out in a lil bit! lol

Thanks for watching and I will continue to try and entertain lol

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Back on topic....

I think its safe to say that Playful is probably the most likely studio to be acquired next (assuming they're willing).

Just watched a small tour/informational video about their studio this morning, found it very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZY69R-K3w

Oof, didn't know the CEO was previously as Ensemble when it was closed down, still would love to see them become a part of 1st party, think they could add a lot to Xbox's lineup with family friendly platforming/VR experiences.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they reference Holo Lens and that they're getting a new office vaguely points to an acquisition, I suppose. Nobody else really talks about Holo Lens.
Well there is one person with a Playstation hoodie. :P
I dont know. That vid is from January. And getting a new building is probably planned way before that also. Dont think MS has anything to do with that.

Is the Sea of Thieves Pioneer Program an old thing? I just got an email

No its back again for abit now. They are expanding it. For future DLC releases.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Well there is one person with a Playstation hoodie. :P
I dont know. That vid is from January. And getting a new building is probably planned way before that also. Dont think MS has anything to do with that.
It Microsoft is contracting them out for another game, it's possible Playful is requesting for help from Microsoft for that, but they'd probably just rather have straight pay.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway have ms bought anyone else yet
Lol. This comment is hilarious cos a few months ago certain users would make memes about this and laugh it off as a joke. Talking about Xbox folding up and never getting the proper funding they need and how Xbox doesn't have the cash needed to go about getting new developers. Now we are seeing same people worried about the possibilities of MS picking up their favourite devs next.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I forgot about Mister "Secret Sauce" Xmedia. Before I came here I use to check that site out all the time (mostly because GAF was the most anti-MS that I just wanted some positive speculation and "news")

Still waiting on the hidden second-processor in my OG Xbox to kick in...
Haha holy shit. Dude was legit bananas.

Still, there were people on gaf/era speculating about PS4 pro secret sauce.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
50,000 sq. ft., which is interesting because that's almost three times as big as PG's new studio is (17,000 sq. ft. and can hold over 200 developers).
Oh. This is some interesting info.. they could be to MS what old Rare was to Nintendo. Make kid friendly games and revive MS old franchises (platformers) and also make some new ones along the way.

I did a quick Google search and came across this article detailing their new building: https://starlocalmedia.com/mckinney...cle_4f5bd0c4-56b2-11e7-9042-bfb9d6c56469.html

The McKinney City Council approved an assignment agreement with Playful Building One, LLC, that paves the way for Playful Corp. to move forward with its new headquarters office building in downtown McKinney.

McKinney-based Playful Corp. is an independent studio founded in 2013 that is the developer of the Lucky's Tale franchise and Creativerse. Playful CEO Paul Bettner previously was the founder and CEO of Newtoy, the creator of the highly successful game Words with Friends, which was also based in McKinney. Playful currently has partnerships with Microsoft, GameStop and Sony.

Based on the assignment agreement, Playful will construct a minimum of 45,000 square feet of Class A office building and 125 surface parking spaces adjacent to the luxury apartment and mixed-use building currently under construction at the corner of Davis and Chestnut Streets. According to current designs by Playful, the company is planning to construct a minimum of 53,000 square feet of office space, larger than the 45,000 square feet laid out in the agreement. The parking associated with this building will be available to the public on nights and weekends.

"We are thrilled Playful has chosen to remain in historic downtown and to build their headquarters here," said Mayor George Fuller. "The company offers high-quality jobs in the entertainment industry, and to have a young and energetic company like Playful in downtown continues to add to the rich diversity of our business landscape."

In February 2016, the City Council approved a Chapter 380 incentive agreement with Columbus Realty Partners for a two-phased development of the former Collin County courthouse site. The assignment agreement approved by City Council on Tuesday provides the city's consent to assign the phase two incentives and construction obligations to Playful, which will be constructing the office building.

"The uniqueness of historic downtown and the fact that we are embedded in this community is huge for our company," said Bettner. "Most cities are trying to replicate this feeling with urban centers that promote live, work play. McKinney is the authentic version of that sentiment and we hope this development continues to enhance and extend that legacy."

Ok so you think maybe Microsoft has a contract for Playful to expand employees to a certain amount by a time and they need a new office that's big enough for that capacity similar to Obsidian or?

Well, normally I would say yes, but the article above was dated in June of 2017, months before Phil Spencer received his promotion at Microsoft. But I could possibly see Microsoft and Phil Spencer having all this information that the studio is expanding into a new building and see the potential for growth. Back in 2015, Playful received 25 million dollars from private investors to invest in virtual reality.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...for-virtual-reality-and-beyond-300164299.html

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Okay, this is good stuff. Where did you get this Playful info?

Edit: You just answered this directly above me.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I did a quick Google search and came across this article detailing their new building: https://starlocalmedia.com/mckinney...cle_4f5bd0c4-56b2-11e7-9042-bfb9d6c56469.html

Well, normally I would say yes, but the article above was dated in June of 2017, months before Phil Spencer received his promotion at Microsoft. But I could possibly see Microsoft and Phil Spencer having all this information that the studio is expanding into a new building and see the potential for growth. Back in 2015, Playful received 25 million dollars from private investors to invest in virtual reality.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...for-virtual-reality-and-beyond-300164299.html
They also seem to be working with Sony.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018

Yeesh, 53,000?

I'm really interested in seeing who's going to have the biggest size studios. Let's start the studio measuring contests (yes, I know it's how you use it, not about the size)!

I wonder how big 343's studio is seeing as how they have the most staff.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Rare probably. Its a like a whole land.
I'll have to see if I can find anything about Rare's size. Only thing I can find is that it cost $8,000,000 to build and they own 60 acres of lands. As for PG, they should have bought all of Albion.

IMG_3730-copy-1024x682.jpg

That's 343's and it's 24,000 square feet.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They helped out on development of Star Child for Playstation VR, which has since been released.
Playful isn't helping out, they are the developer. It also hasn't released yet.

I'll have to see if I can find anything about Rare's size. Only thing I can find is that it cost $8,000,000 to build and they own 60 acres of lands. As for PG, they should have bought all of Albion.

IMG_3730-copy-1024x682.jpg

That's 343's and it's 24,000 square feet.
343 moved out of there a while ago, they are now on the MS campus.

Last edited:

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
If it came across that I was insulting Rhand in any way I didn't mean to, I enjoy listening to his Xbox Two podcast hearing what he has to say, my issue is with with people like Colt, Dealer, Crapgamer etc who claim to have sources when they clearly don't and are either using stuff they've just pulled off of ERA or are just making stuff up while also using those horriblly baity titles that are wildly misleading.

In turn their videos are posted here or on other sites and at best it just muddles the conversation and at worst it creates this horrible echo chamber (where I posted about Colt claiming there are rumours about Playdead being acquired when there haven't is an example of this) I enjoy following and contributing to this thread because people actually use credible sources as well as finding great tidbits of info (the latest initiative hiring is a great example) and as we saw with the Obsidian thread last week there are very few places on the internet to do this in relative peace and quiet.
Colt's pretty fair in his videos and are pretty damn good, the others you know what you are getting when you listen which is they are more biased towards xbox and that is their right to cater to for fans, just like pro Sony youtubers

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Back on topic....

I think its safe to say that Playful is probably the most likely studio to be acquired next (assuming they're willing).

Just watched a small tour/informational video about their studio this morning, found it very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZY69R-K3w

I would say it makes a lot of sense to acquire them, or someone like them. If Microsoft sees Gamepass as the future, then they need to take the Netflix approach of trying to have something for all audiences. Playful definitely fills a niche for them.

I would say their biggest niches right now are platformers / family friendly titles, and Japanese centric titles. I won't say they're strong in all other areas, but they've at least got them checked off.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Important note for everybody. Star Child is being developed for Playstation VR, BUT its being published through GameTrust (Gamestop publishing).

No idea if there are plans for Star Child being released on other platforms as of yet, but it does seem that the IP is owned by Playful?

Game Site: https://www.starchildthegame.com/

Jul 13, 2018
Yeesh, 53,000?

I'm really interested in seeing who's going to have the biggest size studios. Let's start the studio measuring contests (yes, I know it's how you use it, not about the size)!

I wonder how big 343's studio is seeing as how they have the most staff.
Just for a frame of reference, typically 175 sq. feet of office space is reserved for each employee. This number can obviously be lower given that many tech companies go for an "open office" workspace. If we were to use the above number, Playful's new office could comfortably hold up to ~300 employees.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Just for a frame of reference, typically 175 sq. feet of office space is reserved for each employee. This number can obviously be lower given that many tech companies go for an "open office" workspace. If we were to use the above number, Playful's new office could comfortably hold up to ~300 employees.
Interesting. They did say they wanted to dabble more into mobile and VR so I can see a bigger Playful. I honestly think Playful would be a great get for Microsoft.
I thought you were talking about your Xbox avatar at first. Then again, I guess it technically is an Xbox avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.