• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Just for a frame of reference, typically 175 sq. feet of office space is reserved for each employee. This number can obviously be lower given that many tech companies go for an "open office" workspace. If we were to use the above number, Playful's new office could comfortably hold up to ~300 employees.
If MS actually plans to introduce a VR headset nextgen then it would make a lot of sense to acquire them and expand the team... They have a lot of experience with that and also making family friendly games which game pass needs too.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
wait, Klobrille left? why?
He was offered to show off Crackdown 3 MP live on stage at X018 so he needed to get ready.

I just want to inform you guys that I will go on a break here. Without going into too much detail, I'm not fine with some of the stuff that got posted in that other thread. Studio insulting and toxic low-effort comments should have no place here, especially since Resetera was supposed to be a new beginning. A better one. After some conversations with the administration of this site, I can't say that I feel home anymore. Not right now at least.

I can't deny that I'm a bit disappointed.

There are other people responsible for this place. And I fully respect and tolerate their viewings - but that doesn't mean they are on the right side of this story.

It's telling enough that objectively good conversations about Xbox are only possible in this thread right here. It shouldn't be like that. And you know that.

I will be back for sure.

Keep it clean.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
I Like the new Avatar! I just noticed you were in London; would you mind breaking into Rocksteady and tell me what they've been working on for the past 3 years? lol
They have HQ in London? I even didn't know
VlS0JmZ.png

Oct 26, 2017
So come next gen MS will have PG, The Initiative, 343, Turn10, Rare and possibly Obsidian as the big studios for AAA games and Ninja Theory, Compulsion for the somewhat smaller games? Other possible studios yet to be announced not included here.

I'm not gonna say that in terms of big studios they are gonna be right up there with Sony because they have a ton of studios at their disposal but it sure is one hell of a difference compared to the years since Xbox One was born. Really hoping we get to see some visually impressive games and that of course are fun to play and aren't too short.

After a few years when all of these studios have released something I want to see those doubters of Phil Spencer again. The man is definitely delivering now.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
So come next gen MS will have PG, The Initiative, 343, Turn10, Rare and possibly Obsidian as the big studios for AAA games and Ninja Theory, Compulsion for the somewhat smaller games? Other possible studios yet to be announced not included here.

I'm not gonna say that in terms of big studios they are gonna be right up there with Sony because they have a ton of studios at their disposal but it sure is one hell of a difference compared to the years since Xbox One was born. Really hoping we get to see some visually impressive games and that of course are fun to play and aren't too short.

After a few years when all of these studios have released something I want to see those doubters of Phil Spencer again. The man is definitely delivering now.
You forgot The Coalition.

As for the doubters, you and I both know they'll still be there. People complain just to complain anymore. See other Microsoft threads for that.

Phil Spencer is one of the nicest and genuine leads I have ever known. I really don't know if there is anyone else like him.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Back on topic....

I think its safe to say that Playful is probably the most likely studio to be acquired next (assuming they're willing).

Just watched a small tour/informational video about their studio this morning, found it very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZY69R-K3w
I believe it now. That little nod to hololens...

I get that some devs wouldn't want to work in the city but playing up McKinney is kind of weird. McKinney is a very wealthy suburban area without a whole lot of character.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got my new White Xbox One X!

Is there any good way to customize the UI so it is not as cluttered with random stuff I do not want?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

What's better than seeing the doubters eating crow will be playing all the games MS will be producing.

No doubt there will always be list wars and people picking apart every aspect of the platform, but all I've been wanting for years now is Xbox reaching it's full potential as a gaming platform.

New Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, maybe Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Playful's MS IP sequel, on top of Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Compulsion and Initiative projects hoo boy.

Edit: Rare and MSGP too. Gonna be so much to play.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
Ah ok.

Question to everyone, with the new 85 minute demo of it, how interested would you be in having Star Citizen to come to the next gen system?

Do you think it could be ported to next gen consoles?
They have stated before that MS and Sony would not approve of the way they push out updates. I personally think the single player game has a chance.

Jul 13, 2018
Huh. I also had no idea.

I'll be up that way tomorrow...
Interestingly enough, Microsoft has scooped up some of Rocksteady's writing talent over the past year. Paul Crocker who was former Narrative Director has gone to 343i and Martin Lancaster and Craig Owens, former Lead Scriptwriter and Senior Scriptwriter, respectively, have gone to Playground Games (Fable).

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I stick to a couple of gaming websites (Kotaku, Gameindustry.biz) and mainly here for info and I'm sure a lot of people out there who get their news from YouTube and that's fine, my issue with those on YT who are deliberately misleading (Yongyea and his horrible Halo Infinite vids from a couple weeks back still rub me the wrong way), or those who state a bunch of things but don't back it up properly.

I agree 100% on this. I wrote that on his video too. It was a dumbass thing to do and it burned me up.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got my new White Xbox One X!

Is there any good way to customize the UI so it is not as cluttered with random stuff I do not want?

Honestly the best thing imo is to hit your guide button and then games/apps and make "groups" just pin your most played games in one, most used apps in another, etc. and then all you have to do is hit guide and click what you want to open from the guide.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Interestingly enough, Microsoft has scooped up some of Rocksteady's writing talent over the past year. Paul Crocker who was former Narrative Director has gone to 343i and Martin Lancaster and Craig Owens, former Lead Scriptwriter and Senior Scriptwriter, respectively, have gone to Playground Games (Fable).

I knew about Paul Crocker (I tend to follow 343 news a bit more closely than most studios), but the PG hires are new to me, thanks!

You could always hang outside like those Half Life 3 picketers at Valve.

"Conker 3 somebody's gotta make it"

Edit: thought you were talking about Playground for some reason.

I mean, I guess I could drive to Leamington Spa, but this might be getting a little out of hand now :D

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I knew about Paul Crocker (I tend to follow 343 news a bit more closely than most studios), but the PG hires are new to me, thanks!

I mean, I guess I could drive to Leamington Spa, but this might be getting a little out of hand now :D
Just tour the entire UK dev scene. At the very least you can get some Dreams and Sea of Thieves key chains.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see Playful moving to an even bigger location.

I believe it now. That little nod to hololens...

I get that some devs wouldn't want to work in the city but playing up McKinney is kind of weird. McKinney is a very wealthy suburban area without a whole lot of character.

How about his line right after the HoloLens mention, something about in the next couple of years "the most accessible platform that's ever been created."

Is he talking about the Xbox streaming service?

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018

how many studios does Sony have that produce AAA games? Right now I can think of 8 if we include Sony Japan and San Diego. I don't know what Ninja Theory will do but it's unlikely that they're going to make smaller AA games, they have too much talent and ambition for that. Hellblade could of probably have been so much more if they had the allotted time, budget and man power. Compulsion seems to be more likely to make AA games along with Undead

Seems to me that they have roughly the same number of AAA studios although Microsoft studios seem to put their games out at a faster rate ei Turn 10 vs Polyphony. Sony might have 1 more additional AAA studio than Microsoft. I'm not counting Playground as 2 separate studios btw since they're still all technically under the Playground banner

According to the Sony thread Sony has 12 studios all together, one has less than 15 employees, one is working on VR games and one has never made a single game.

Seems to me that, with the addition of Obsidian and extra acquisitions and also with the supposed 600-1000 addition developers they hiring that MS is going to have a significant manpower advantage over Sony and Nintendo for the foreseeable future

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I am installing FH4, Quantum Break and Luckys Tail (For my 5 year old) on my new X. Any other nice 4K/HDR ones I should grab from Game Pass?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to me that, with the addition of Obsidian and extra acquisitions and also with the supposed 600-1000 addition developers they hiring that MS is going to have a significant manpower advantage over Sony and Nintendo for the foreseeable future

That's a big if that needs to actually materialize. The advantage SONY has goes beyond their "official first-party studios", with steady first-party IP development from Insomniac / Quantic Dream / Bluepoint / From Software / etc. But that's an avenue that Microsoft could easily explore as well.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
how many studios does Sony have that produce AAA games? Right now I can think of 8 if we include Sony Japan and San Diego. I don't know what Ninja Theory will do but it's unlikely that they're going to make smaller AA games, they have too much talent and ambition for that. Hellblade could of probably have been so much more if they had the allotted time, budget and man power. Compulsion seems to be more likely to make AA games along with Undead

Seems to me that they have roughly the same number of AAA studios although Microsoft studios seem to put their games out at a faster rate ei Turn 10 vs Polyphony. Sony might have 1 more additional AAA studio than Microsoft. I'm not counting Playground as 2 separate studios btw since they're still all technically under the Playground banner

According to the Sony thread Sony has 12 studios all together, one has less than 15 employees, one is working on VR games and one has never made a single game.

Sony has 13, not 12 (technically 15 if you include their smartphone studio and their global publishing studio, but I don't add those because I did't include MS Casual Games, Lift London or MSGP because of what they do). They're probably forgetting the San Mateo Studio that's supposed to work on Uncharted.

Sony has 7 AAA studios (well it's 8 with San Mateo). Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, San Diego, and San Mateo. I personally don't count Japan Studio (mainly collaborations and small teams that work with other studios). They're an AAA team through collaborations, not of themselves (they're kind of like Ninja Theory now except Ninja Theory isn't doing collaborations as far as we know).

Microsoft's can vary too depending on who you classify as AAA (like Ninja Theory). They are 343 Industries, The Coalition, Playground Games, Rare, Turn 10, Undead Labs, and The Initiative. So Microsoft has 7 or 8 depending on if you count Ninja Theory. Undead Labs is smaller right now, but they're growing in size quite a bit and State of Decay 2 is considered AAA so I included them.

So MS has the same amount of AAA studios currently as them. That'll definitely be surpassed if what we're hearing happens at XO18, and by next year, they'll probably surpass the amount of studios Sony has (MS is currently at 10).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018
Sony has 13, not 12 (technically 15 if you include their smartphone studio and their global publishing studio, but I don't add those because I don't included MS Casual Games, Lift London or MSGP because of what they do). They're probably forgetting the San Mateo Studio that's supposed to work on Uncharted.

Sony has 7 AAA studios (well it's 8 with San Mateo). Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, San Diego, and San Mateo. I personally don't count Japan Studio (mainly collaborations and small teams that work with other studios).

Microsoft's can vary too depending on who you classify as AAA (like Ninja Theory). They are 343 Industries, The Coalition, Playground Games, Rare, Turn 10, Undead Labs, and The Initiative. So Microsoft has 7 or 8 depending on if you count Ninja Theory. Undead Labs is smaller right now, but they're growing in size quite a bit and State of Decay 2 is considered AAA so I included them.

So MS has the same amount of AAA studios currently as them. That'll definitely be surpassed if what we're hearing happens at XO18, and by next year, they'll probably surpass the amount of studios Sony has (MS is currently at 10).
Was State of Decay 2 considered AAA? I haven't played it myself, but I was under the impression that it was priced at $40 since it was a AA title. I suppose State of Decay 3 can be AAA if it has a large enough budget/team behind it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Buy Playful for family-oriented content. Have them work on Banjo Remakie, a new Fusion Frenzy, and Kung Fu Chaos. Plz and thank

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
With all the talk about Xbox maybe buying Playful... I found their reply to someone who posted as a response to my vid about Bethesda interesting.

https://twitter.com/playfulcorp/status/1051977923803123713

Well there's that. I wish they would have nailed Super Lucky's Tale better in the gameplay department. It needed to be more responsive and 20% faster. The jumps in 3d space were also hard to judge leaving it as trial and error at times.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I will try Halo 5 first! Thanks guys. I am looking forward to trying these tomorrow when it downloads them all!

Man the white Xbox is sexy

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
That's a big if that needs to actually materialize. The advantage SONY has goes beyond their "official first-party studios", with steady first-party IP development from Insomniac / Quantic Dream / Bluepoint / From Software / etc. But that's an avenue that Microsoft could easily explore as well.
That's not much of advantage because Quantic Dreams are the only ones that will reliably and consistently make exclusives for them. No doubt Insomniac will make Spider-Man 2 but they're a large enough developer to be able to work on multiple projects at once.

mikefizzled

Jan 8, 2018
With all the talk about Xbox maybe buying Playful... I found their reply to someone who posted as a response to my vid about Bethesda interesting.

https://twitter.com/playfulcorp/status/1051977923803123713

I guess that's that They can't reply yes but they probably wouldn't lie about it either and just leave it unanswered. Not that it matters. By the next page people will have moved on and assumed they've bought them at this rate. I just wish people would calm it a little in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.