• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
So. When do you guys expect Halo Infinite? XBO launch or nextgen?

2020 whether its crossgen is another question entirely

Also onto the point of splitting or categorising studios - Spencer and Booty have both confirmed if the studio wants to work on a specific game/new IP its up to the studio.

Nov 11, 2017
One of the most underrated positives of these acquisitions is these studios will all work together on technological advancements in graphics ai and tech.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but here's a good interview with Sam Lake:

He says that he would love to work on sequels to Alan Wake and Quantum Break, but they are not working on any of those games at the moment. They have around 180 employees in two game development teams, and the third smaller team that updates the Northlight engine.

HighResTomato

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only PG can get Fable to look like this with seasons and dynamic weather. (And the Fable 1 art style)

WellinformedCorruptDaddylonglegs-max-14mb.gif

Rodneybouch

Feb 28, 2018
343 industries is growing fast on monday , we could saw 12 jobs in the career page now it's 24 . They are expanding .

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone think Fable from PG will be a reboot or a continuation?

I would say reboot until Crackdown. It'll probably be called Fable 4. Not that it matters, really.

I don't really see Perfect Dark going into Uncharted territory. Wouldn't Ninja Theory be able to create an IP like that if they wanted? They are good at that cinematic style plus they have good combat experience.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
So does anyone think Fable from PG will be a reboot or a continuation?

I would say reboot until Crackdown. It'll probably be called Fable 4. Not that it matters, really.

I don't really see Perfect Dark going into Uncharted territory. Wouldn't Ninja Theory be able to create an IP like that if they wanted? They are good at that cinematic style plus they have good combat experience.
Best bet will be a reboot

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although Tomb Raider makes sense, Phil has said he wanted an Uncharted type experience.
I'm really not sure how the spiritual successor one of Deus Ex's design influences (GoldenEye) translates into an Uncharted type experience. Unless it's in the vague sense that, for instance, Hitman: Absolution was a bit Uncharted-ish but it was still a game about disguises and completing objectives. I feel like there's a rather jarring problem with trying to fit a spy IP that goes out of its way to make you feel bad for shooting people (Perfect Dark) into the mold of a cover shooter where you blast waves of goons (Uncharted). Perfect Dark is a spy game. There have been Uncharted-esque Bond games, and Uncharted was likely influenced in some way by Everything or Nothing, but they're not really the same thing. I'm never quite sure how people make the leap from PD to Uncharted. It's one of those "Have you ever played the game?" suggestions. PD's closest design analogue is Hitman, just without the focus on murder. The original plan for Perfect Dark's sequel was a hybrid of the original game and Deus Ex. It got killed because MS in that era were extremely shortsighted as we all know.

Imagine MS funded the next Deus Ex. Could they make an "Uncharted type experience" out of Deus Ex? Sure. But why would they? How would that effectively utilize the IP? Uncharted doesn't have any of the qualities mechanically, aesthetically, nor narratively that people loved about Deus Ex. It's not like Syndicate 2012 where you can say, "This captures the atmosphere and brutality of Syndicate."

Darrell Gallagher gets credited for Tomb Raider 2013, but he was also kind of behind Thief 4. And that game was... messy. But at the same time, it's not like he turned Thief into Uncharted. People act as though developers are capable of making one kind of game.

We're just gonna have to wait and see how this all pans out. I am sceptical that The Initiative are making PD, though. The rumours of PD being in development predate the studio's formation.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm really not sure how the spiritual successor one of Deus Ex's design influences (GoldenEye) translates into an Uncharted type experience. Unless it's in the vague sense that, for instance, Hitman: Absolution was a bit Uncharted-ish but it was still a game about disguises and completing objectives. I feel like there's a rather jarring problem with trying to fit a spy IP that goes out of its way to make you feel bad for shooting people (Perfect Dark) into the mold of a cover shooter where you blast waves of goons (Uncharted). Perfect Dark is a spy game. There have been Uncharted-esque Bond games, and Uncharted was likely influenced in some way by Everything or Nothing, but they're not really the same thing. I'm never quite sure how people make the leap from PD to Uncharted. It's one of those "Have you ever played the game?" suggestions. PD's closest design analogue is Hitman, just without the focus on murder. The original plan for Perfect Dark's sequel was a hybrid of the original game and Deus Ex. It got killed because MS in that era were extremely shortsighted as we all know.

Imagine MS funded the next Deus Ex. Could they make an "Uncharted type experience" out of Deus Ex? Sure. But why would they? How would that effectively utilize the IP? Uncharted doesn't have any of the qualities mechanically, aesthetically, nor narratively that people loved about Deus Ex. It's not like Syndicate 2012 where you can say, "This captures the atmosphere and brutality of Syndicate."

Darrell Gallagher gets credited for Tomb Raider 2013, but he was also kind of behind Thief 4. And that game was... messy. But at the same time, it's not like he turned Thief into Uncharted. People act as though developers are capable of making one kind of game.

We're just gonna have to wait and see how this all pans out. I am sceptical that The Initiative are making PD, though. The rumours of PD being in development predate the studio's formation.
Ummmm, what?

I said Deus Ex, I just mentioned Tomb Raider when Granjinha did in response.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ummmm, what?

I said Deus Ex, I just mentioned Tomb Raider when Granjinha did in response.
To clarify, people seem to assume that Darrell Gallagher was hired because Phil Spencer has some kind of Tomb Raider-slash-Uncharted fetish and wants Gallagher to turn <insert series here> into an Uncharted clone because Gallagher made Tomb Raider into a very successful Uncharted-esque reboot. I don't agree. I think Gallagher was hired because he's good at his job. (Mostly.) Look at MS. They hire Playground, a car game developer. What do they want them to do? Make Fable, an open world RPG, naturally. I think there's way too little credit and imagination because there's an assumption that, for instance, if MS hire a company or a person they're going to make a cookie cutter branded version of the last thing you remember them making. Regardless of what series The Initiative are bringing back, and it does seem to be an existing MS one, the studio's branding seems to be focused on innovation and thinking outside the box. Not making everything into Uncharted.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
To clarify, people seem to assume that Darrell Gallagher was hired because Phil Spencer has some kind of Tomb Raider-slash-Uncharted fetish and wants Gallagher to turn <insert series here> into an Uncharted clone because Gallagher made Tomb Raider into a very successful Uncharted-esque reboot. I don't agree. I think Gallagher was hired because he's good at his job. (Mostly.) Look at MS. They hire Playground, a car game developer. What do they want them to do? Make Fable, an open world RPG, naturally. I think there's way too little credit and imagination because there's an assumption that, for instance, if MS hire a company or a person they're going to make a cookie cutter branded version of the last thing you remember them making. Regardless of what series The Initiative are bringing back, and it does seem to be an existing MS one, the studio's branding seems to be focused on innovation and thinking outside the box. Not making everything into Uncharted.
Again, I don't know why you're addressing me.

I said he's probably making Perfect Dark because he has a history of Deus Ex and CoD.

Someone else thought I meant Tomb Raider, then I mentioned that Phil had said he wanted an Uncharted rival, so it would make sense for the studio to tackle that.

It was nothing to do with Perfect Dark, however, it would still be the most likely candidate of an Uncharted-like game within MS's existing IP.

Personally, I think the desire for an Uncharted competitor has probably passed by now. We shall see.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but here's a good interview with Sam Lake:

He says that he would love to work on sequels to Alan Wake and Quantum Break, but they are not working on any of those games at the moment. They have around 180 employees in two game development teams, and the third smaller team that updates the Northlight engine.

Idk if I read it here or somewhere else but I thought someone said they had a third team working on a new game? Am I going crazy

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I wish Microsoft hired Amy Henig and did for her what they did for Gallagher. Imagine the moment at E3: new IP from the creator of Uncharted. And god knows she deserves it.

batosaims

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
They really don't need an Uncharted clone, I'd rather Perfect Dark go the way of Splinter Cell, a 3rd person stealth game, amazing graphics, narrative and awesome gadgets and tools to use, open ended mission structure etc.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I said he's probably making Perfect Dark because he has a history of Deus Ex and CoD.

Someone else thought I meant Tomb Raider, then I mentioned that Phil had said he wanted an Uncharted rival, so it would make sense for the studio to tackle that.

It was nothing to do with Perfect Dark, however, it would still be the most likely candidate of an Uncharted-like game within MS's existing IP.

Personally, I think the desire for an Uncharted competitor has probably passed by now. We shall see.
Ah, I see what you meant. Sorry.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
All I want from Microsoft Studios is anything other than a shooter. I think they have those covered...

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
If I was them I would go the Bioware route of RPG since Bioware seems to be going away from that.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017

Can you point to the interview where Phil said he wanted an Uncharted rival? Would like the see that quote in context.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Can you point to the interview where Phil said he wanted an Uncharted rival? Would like the see that quote in context.
Nope, it was years ago in an interview about the RotTR exclusivity. If I had to guess I'd say it was Eurogamer, just as it's been what I've read most, but I certainly couldn't say for sure.

Found it.

In part is it about having an answer to Uncharted 4? The comparison between the last Tomb Raider and Uncharted has been made.

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity.

People push me as the content guy, shouldn't it all be about the content you're building? I want to own all of the hits on our platform. Well, not all of them - that's too much. But I want to have a stable of hits on our platform that we own. Absolutely. That's fundamental to us having a successful platform. When a unique opportunity comes up, I've got to go look at that. And this was a unique opportunity.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...r-makes-case-for-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I do think they can think outside the box with PD. Its a franchise that takes place in the future with tech that is well beyond our own. MS seems to be talking up AI a lot and that could come into play in a PD game as well. Lots can be done with gadgets or technology in a game with better simulation with a better CPU.

That said I hope PD is a 3rd person game. I think the original was trying to be ahead of its time. At least in terms of story and such.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is PD working on Fable a leak or something that people are hoping for?
Would rather they work on a new fantasy IP than be tied to Fable.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Is PD working on Fable a leak or something that people are hoping for?
Would rather they work on a new fantasy IP than be tied to Fable.
I assume by PD you mean PG and yes. Eurogamer, Kotaku, IGN, Waypoint and WindowsCentral have all heard that Playground Games is making a next gen Fable reboot.

It's a reboot so it doesn't have to be anything like the previous games, it just needs that Fable charm and humor to be Fable. It's practically a new IP.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/15/17467954/compulsion-games-we-happy-few-microsoft-acquisition-e3
The team at Compulsion will "continue making crazy games," he said, adding that's why "Microsoft is buying us." The only difference Epstein sees moving forward is having more time to create polished games.

"What we'll be able to do is do everything with a little bit more polish, a little more attention to detail in the game," Epstein told Polygon at E3. "The development of [We Happy Few] has been a constant case of triage; of like, 'This we need to do, so we will do it. This would be nice to have, so we probably won't do it unless it's a hobby horse for some person or if I nag a level designer enough, you know, maybe I'll get something.'"

"I mean, we've, we've been trying to punch above our weight, right," Epstein said. "You know, we started with six people in this game. We ended up with 40 people. Everybody else is 120 people, 500 people; we're at sort of at an awkward, lanky teenage place where we're good enough that people start to have AAA expectations of us. And then they're like, 'Why isn't there a hundred hours of gameplay? Why can I get stuck in the landscape sometimes?' We want to be able to have you never get stuck in landscape."

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume by PD you mean PG and yes. Eurogamer, Kotaku, IGN, Waypoint and WindowsCentral have all heard that Playground Games is making a next gen Fable reboot.

It's a reboot so it doesn't have to be anything like the previous games, it just needs that Fable charm and humor to be Fable. It's practically a new IP.
interesting. and yeah I mean them, was reading the responses in the thread and got confused.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
How would they even buy Netflix? Isn't it worth like 300 billion dollars?
Netflix is worth ~170B. MSFT probably could put together a package to purchase them on a financial level, but that said I don't think anyone will be seriously attempting to purchase Netflix, nor will Netflix be interested in selling. Netflix swallowed the TV industry at a rate no one thought possible, and now the traditional media companies are scrambling to compete with them, the only way Netflix gets taken over is a hostile takeover, and assuming their stock continues to climb there's virtually no chance of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.