• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
At what point can people expect the gaming audience to learn English? I haven't played a game in Dutch since I was 12. But maybe it's more a cultural difference. Agree that MS should try to translate their games to as many languages as possible. Can also understand it being difficult with service games. You'll have to translate things constantly.
Yes, it's very different in every country. Maybe in thh Netherlands you have better approach to English, like in television for example where there are local subtitles with English in the background. In Poland it's quite different and still lot of people wants to play in home language, even with subtitles. Year to year is somehow better but still for some people it's not so easy to learn different language. In my case, I didn't have English in primary school. I had German. And I learnt a lot when I came to the UK about 4,5 years ago.

And Poland isn't small marketplace in Europe and even world. They don't have to translate to every languages of Asia or Africa. That's obvious. But they shouldn't ignore biggest countries in Europe, like it was in Xbox 360 era. That also help with reaching new audience.

Simple example with upcoming game. Crackdown was released in February 2007. Xbox 360 was released in Poland in Autumn 2006. That game is fully localised (dubbing + subtitles). Unless it's very niche game. Crackdown 3 will be limited to 7 languages! Even without Russian which appears in most of games.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is not true. Crackdown 3 is pretty special on this, because it was shown so early and it was post poned so freaking many times.

Besides Microsoft really needs to stop giving us release times so early. Just do what Sony does. Let the developers come to you and say when they can release the game.

That's kind of a joke, Sony has also delayed many games. GT7, is it still coming for example? Both parties are guilty of showing games way too early.

My opinion is that a game should be in 2 E3 max before launch. Anouncement-gameplay-then release before the next E3.

This. Some people enjoy having games announced very early and shown multiple times. I don't.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
That's kind of a joke, Sony has also delayed many games. GT7, is it still coming for example? Both parties are guilty of showing games way too early.

Yeah but Sony doesn't tell you release dates usually and instead of GT 7 we got GT Sport. GT 7 is going to be PS5 game anyway.

Biggest mistake Sony did was announcing Final Fantasy and dreams so early, but even then they didn't give us any dates. It is much more worse to actually set a date and then repeatedly change that date, because game needs more time. And they should've give more time to State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves.

It's not that Sony is perfect on this, but they have been better than Microsoft, although Microsoft supposedly has learned their lesson now.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
What does this even mean? They did recently expand a bunch. Like I mentioned before, they have a unique game design. Nobody has done it which is why the game was popular despite the reviews. They've expanded. They aren't going to make Uncharted games. They're going to make better State of Decay games. Game is good just unpolished. There will be a big difference in polish due to the support, resources and studio growth.

They aren't competing with other Microsoft studios. They offer something unique.
I certainly hope so, the vision and passion was there most definitely. But the lack of growth between the first and second games was worrying.

Then again, MS would not have invested if they didn't feel these guys could hit their stride. Hence my 'infusion' comment. With the right growth and support, which they are obviously getting now I can see their next game doing something very unique in the genre.

Nov 12, 2017
That is not true. Crackdown 3 is pretty special on this, because it was shown so early and it was post poned so freaking many times.

Besides Microsoft really needs to stop giving us release times so early. Just do what Sony does. Let the developers come to you and say when they can release the game.
Is this a joke post or sarcasm?..you mean releasing games annunced in a gen the gen after? Or trying to make people forget about announced games without never have the courage to officially delete them as Agent or Deep down? Just imagine what games from the fabulous E3 of the dreams we will see this gen ............If theres someone who ms shouldnt look at about this Is Sony ...

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Oh wow. I should have mentioned that I didn't play very long at all. Maybe an hour if that. Just wasn't for me. But yeah, that would be disappointing because it's almost like either way you play, you're kind of losing because one direction isn't fun and the other gets you penalized. Ouch.

I'm gonna have to disagree, I really enjoyed the first dishonored game and I did an almost entirely non-lethal run. I had two kills the entire game and both were indirect. One was a guy I knocked unconscious and dropped him in to the water in the sewer. I assume he either drowned or was eaten by rats. The second was someone who died when I released some infected during a mission as a distraction and they found his unconscious body hidden behind some boxes. I did feel like there were several abilities and items I just never got to use, but I still really enjoyed it.

I can't speak for the second game, I started it non-lethal but got caught up in work and life and never finished it.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it needs an entire rework.

the Arena update is probably the best excuse they have for that.

I want the gunplay to be a little more skillful and responsive.

Btw, what am I suppose to use the gold I get for delivering chests?

And how do I accept "quests"? It's always someone else who does it and I don't understand where they get quests from.

It also seems like every quest has it's own map, what happens when the map wheel (when pressing "E" on the keyboard) is full of maps?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Btw, what am I suppose to use the gold I get for delivering chests?

And how do I accept "quests"? It's always someone else who does it and I don't understand where they get quests from.

It also seems like every quest has it's own map, what happens when the map wheel (when pressing "E" on the keyboard) is full of maps?

- Buy a quest from one of the factions
- Put the quest on the quest table in your ship
- Make 2/2 2/3 or 3/4 of the crew vote on the quest
- If your quest wheel is filled with maps, it'll add another page of maps. (I think you press F? not sure)

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Buy a quest from one of the factions
- Put the quest on the quest table in your ship
- Make 2/2 2/3 or 3/4 of the crew vote on the quest
- If your quest wheel is filled with maps, it'll add another page of maps. (I think you press F? not sure)

Why are not quests free like in all other games?

Can I get a better sword than the one Ive always had? It's shit.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Why are not quests free like in all other games?

Can I get a better sword than the one Ive always had? It's shit.

The quests don't cost that much gold.

By now you know that there is no progression system in place right? You can't get better weapons, better ships, etc.

Each player is equal and each session starts fresh.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but Sony doesn't tell you release dates usually and instead of GT 7 we got GT Sport. GT 7 is going to be PS5 game anyway.

Biggest mistake Sony did was announcing Final Fantasy and dreams so early, but even then they didn't give us any dates. It is much more worse to actually set a date and then repeatedly change that date, because game needs more time. And they should've give more time to State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves.

It's not that Sony is perfect on this, but they have been better than Microsoft, although Microsoft supposedly has learned their lesson now.

Wasn't Days Gone delayed a few times and Uncharted 4 delayed too? Nothing will beat The Last Guardian.

I think both have learned to not announce dates as often.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Aside from Crackdown 3, what games has Microsoft actually announced dates for this gen that ended up getting delayed?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
it says "fully independent developer" in their twitter bio, which I take as a good sign they are not bought being by MS.
Because they are.

The same was the case for Ninja Theory, who prominently had the "independent" stamp everywhere.

The community guy administrating the twitter account is probably the last one who is getting informed about a successful acquisition though. People shouldn't read too much into these things.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Because they are.

The same was the case for Ninja Theory, who prominently had the "independent" stamp everywhere.

The community guy administrating the twitter account is probably the last one who is getting informed about a successful acquisition though. People shouldn't read too much into these things.

giphy.gif

im so confused right now hahaha

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Ah okay. So the only thing that progresses is reputation and the amount of gold I have?

There's also ship customization, outfit customization and things like titles and emblems. All of this is tied to reputation, and at least the last time I played it was kind of inconvenient because you had to reset all your stuff whenever you logged in and logged out.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Aside from Crackdown 3, what games has Microsoft actually announced dates for this gen that ended up getting delayed?

Delayed? Nothing comes to mind. But many games for hurt because of it. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 3 would've been much better if they got delayed (but they couldn't because they already told release date and because of Crackdown 3 and already bad years of exclusives, they didn't delay them. And then there is scaledown that got destroyed.

Atleast Phil seems to take them to right direction. Like i said, Sony hasn't been perfect, but they have handled these situations better than Microsoft this gen.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I mean. Their explicit statement of being independent could hint at future non-exclusivity. Or, potentially they have limited pipeline with Sony and are on the hunt.

Their relationship was a game-to-game contract according to Cage despite the 10 year contract rumor going around. This glue you are talking about could have been removed after HR or Beyond or Detroit.

A French Hub would be interesting. Motion Twin, Asobo, Dontnod, Quantic Dream.

Every studio you mentioned seems to do fine to amazing right now. There's no talk of them having any financial problems at all and so far it seems like MS are interested in studios that are in somewhat trouble.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Every studio you mentioned seems to do fine to amazing right now. There's no talk of them having any financial problems at all and so far it seems like MS are interested in studios that are in somewhat trouble.

Dontnod have great ideas, it could be something with more money, I guess.

Quantic Dream on the other hand, that would be a waste imo.

The 2 other I don't know them.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Their relationship was a game-to-game contract according to Cage despite the 10 year contract rumor going around. This glue you are talking about could have been removed after HR or Beyond or Detroit.

I think Microsoft wants good studios regardless of the financial situation. For these studios it would also be good to have the security and freedom to develop good projects.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I wonder when we're gonna hear about the studio that "has history with Sony" that MS was either eyeing or had acquired.

At this point, GDC is probably the earliest we'd see anything about new acquisitions, but e3 seems more likely. Microsoft has set a solid cadence of making those announcements at trade shows.

That being said, Id love it for them to just like tweet out an announcement with very little fanfare, just blindside everyone.

Aug 26, 2018
Guys, I was just replaying Hellblade on my X and my god, the motion capture is arguably the best I have seen from this Gen along the art direction. Do you guys think they will share the Motion-Capture techniques with other first party studios?

Its insane how Ninja Theory pulled off a game like Hellblade with that kind of budget. Mo-Cap looks even better than Gears 5 I think.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I was just replaying Hellblade on my X and my god, the motion capture is arguably the best I have seen from this Gen along the art direction. Do you guys think they will share the Motion-Capture techniques with other first party studios?

Its insane how Ninja Theory pulled off a game like Hellblade with that kind of budget. Mo-Cap looks even better than Gears 5 I think.

They spun off their motion capture (still owned by Obsidian, therefore MS) into its own entity for the sole reason of supporting more than just Obsidian's games.

i.e. count on it.

Edit: yeah that's Ninja Theory, not Obsidian. Duh.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Dont know if that Senua mocap studio still exist?

Aug 26, 2018
They spun off their motion capture (still owned by Obsidian, therefore MS) into its own entity for the sole reason of supporting more than just Obsidian's games.

i.e. count on it.

Wow, thats cool.

The other studios at MS can definitely take advantage of this.

Is the Outer Worlds from Obsidian using Ninja Theory's Mo-Cap technology?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Wow, thats cool.

The other studios at MS can definitely take advantage of this.

Is the Outer Worlds from Obsidian using Ninja Theory's Mo-Cap technology?

Probably not, it's been in development for too long. Senuas Studio was spun off right around the same time as they were acquired by Microsoft, so it'll probably be at least another 2 years before we see anyone other than Ninja Theory using that tech. And that's being optimistic.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is straight out wrong.

Xbox isn't some holy savior for the poor. They are doing a business. And they are looking for talent - not struggling studios. They acquired all kinds of studios, both very successful (Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Obsidian) as well as studios that could need budget boosts (Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, inXile). None of the studios they acquired were in trouble (maybe Compulsion after the release of WHF, but that's not a problem now anymore either).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

it really is amazing.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is straight out wrong.

Xbox isn't some holy savior for the poor. They are doing a business. And they are looking for talent - not struggling studios. They acquired all kinds of studios, both very successful (Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Obsidian) as well as studios that could need budget boosts (Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, inXile). None of the studios they acquired were in trouble (maybe Compulsion after the release of WHF, but that's not a problem now anymore either).

Well then I stand corrected.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

Still calling it Gears of War tho haha.
I guess its still the overhead name of all games.

Even though I've always called it "Gears", I've gotta admit it's going to drive me crazy when I look at my shelf and see Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3, Gears of War 4 and Gears 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.