• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
When checking the launch dates, Metro Exodus leaves the same day as Crackdown 3, imagine the problem that would be if the Game Pass did not exist.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
This is straight out wrong.

Xbox isn't some holy savior for the poor. They are doing a business. And they are looking for talent - not struggling studios. They acquired all kinds of studios, both very successful (Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Obsidian) as well as studios that could need budget boosts (Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, inXile). None of the studios they acquired were in trouble (maybe Compulsion after the release of WHF, but that's not a problem now anymore either).
Ninja Theory and Obsidian had some financial problems in the past.

Even in welcoming video after joining to Microsoft, one guy from Ninja Theory said that openly.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Gears Of War is one of the best names in gaming history, its badass and original.
Hoping to see something on february, Rod talked about an event here in México.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This is straight out wrong.

Xbox isn't some holy savior for the poor. They are doing a business. And they are looking for talent - not struggling studios. They acquired all kinds of studios, both very successful (Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Obsidian) as well as studios that could need budget boosts (Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, inXile). None of the studios they acquired were in trouble (maybe Compulsion after the release of WHF, but that's not a problem now anymore either).

Yeah I agree and find it interesting that Microsoft is only supposed to focus on struggling studios. Studios like Crytek that have been poorly managed and would be bloated payroll for what they provide. There are plenty of reasons a healthy business would sell. Rare was healthy as was BioWare and Dice.

A lot of studios try to remain independent so they have creative freedom. Others stay independent because they think they can improve their sale price. The irony is the freedom is often a mirage. Most independent studios simply trade bosses between projects. There are very few studios that self publish expensive dream games. Obsidian, ironically, may have more creative freedom to make what they want to make now compared to when they were independent. If the owners can cash in while getting their employees competitive pay and better benefits (and Microsoft ranks high in those areas) then why not?

I mentioned Gearbox a few weeks ago. Gearbox is likely in a financially strong position as long as they stick to Borderlands. Outside of Borderlands they've struggled. What if they want to be more than the Borderlands studio? What if their multiplayer game launched on Game Pass?

There are healthy studios that could gain more freedom by being a permanent part of Game Pass. I think it's very underrated how much impact Game Pass can make on why selling to Microsoft right now is an attractive possibility from the angle of creativity and support.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I'd like further acquisitions to add more diversity to Xbox's lineup. What's up with that studio working on Session? The game that looked like it could be the next Skate? It looked really good to me.

Edit: Crea-ture Studios. Could be an interesting pickup for MS.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Jump Force too?
Damn, i feel bad for Metro, i was expecting it to be The Witcher 3 from 4A Games, maybe it will be a masterpiece, but a financiar success? Doubt it
It is curious that they have changed to a launch date where many games are released, in principle it was going to be launched a few days later.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ninja Theory and Obsidian had some financial problems in the past.

Even in welcoming video after joining to Microsoft, one guy from Ninja Theory said that openly.
In the past. Which indie studio didn't have that phase?

Then Hellblade / TOW happened.

At the time of the acquisition both Ninja Theory as well as Obsidian were more than healthy.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Rare was healthy as was BioWare and Dice.
IIRC Rare had one foot in the grave after Nintendo and Miyamoto made them make that awful Star Fox Adventures which bombed. They'd be dead if MS didn't buy them out.

Obsidian, ironically, may have more creative freedom to make what they want to make now compared to when they were independent. If the owners can cash in while getting their employees competitive pay and better benefits (and Microsoft ranks high in those areas) then why not?

Yup, even Brian Fargo stated that 50% of his time was spent on raising money. Now he no longer has to worry about that and them, along with all the other studios, no longer have to worry about pay roll, equipment, office space, hiring more people, QA, marketing etc. The studios can now focus 100% on the game itself.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018

So...who are half of these people? I recognize Rod in the middle, Craig and Matt next to him and Shannon and Gallagher. I think that's Bonnie with the Master Chief sweater

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In the past. Which indie studio didn't have that phase?

Then Hellblade / TOW happened.

At the time of the acquisition both Ninja Theory as well as Obsidian were more than healthy.
They said they weren't well, came straight from them after the acquisition...

It's just a fact

Happy they will both get the financial wealth to make whatever they want

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Hm?

Quantic Dream is independent as of today, right? That's because they have it on their Twitter bio.

Ninja Theory had the same. As we know today, this didn't stop them becoming a first-party studio.

A company won't reveal or tease it's being acquired by a Twitter bio. That's all I'm saying.

Sooooo, they're not being acquired? (its alright you can tell me)

So...who are half of these people? I recognize Rod in the middle, Craig and Matt next to him and Shannon and Gallagher. I think that's Bonnie with the Master Chief sweater

Yeah that's Bonnie Ross with the Halo sweater, Helen Chiang (head of Mojang) below Matt Booty, and I think the guy between Matt and Rod is Alan Hartman (head of Turn 10).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They said they weren't well, came straight from them after the acquisition...

It's just a fact

Happy they will both get the financial wealth to make whatever they want
Do you have a source for that?

All I know about is their acquisition video and here they talk about the time before/during Hellblade was done, how similar studios died and why they decided to tackle Hellblade as an indie AAA game after, so looking at 2015 here, not 2018.

Maybe I missed a different interview though.

Last edited:

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Sooooo, they're not being acquired? (its alright you can tell me)

Yeah that's Bonnie Ross with the Halo sweater, Helen Chiang (head of Mojang) below Matt Booty, and I think the guy between Matt and Rod is Alan Hartman (head of Turn 10).

I think the brunette behind Bonnie is Nina from Ninja Theory also.

So basically 3 people, the 2 left of Gallagher and the one behind Bonnie and right of Nina

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Happy New Year! 🥂 🎉

2018 saw the release of Hellblade on Xbox, VR, physical disc, Xbox Game Pass and the soundtrack! We are truly grateful to all our fans and followers for supporting us, and we're looking forward to what's to come in 2019
Ninja Theory's Facebook.

So, again (after X018). I hope we will get finally first new game from new studio annoucement at E3. If they started works on some project some time before/around Hellblade, so after two years in 2019 they should be ready to show us this. I think.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
And they should've give more time to State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves.
And it happened because these games has been announced too early. State of Decay in 2016 as a 2017 game and Sea of Thieves in... 2015.

Bethesda did the perfect thing with Fallout 4, really. 5-6 months before launch is the perfect timing, but you can announce a game 12 months (or 18 months) before launch if you really need to. At this time, you know exactly how the game will look like, you can do an alpha/beta shortly after the announcement and you can show new features frequently until launch.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a disaster. Square Enix didn't say any date, but it has been announced too early. Never announce a game that you can't show and never announce a game that you need to show to many times before launch.

I'm maybe the only one, but I think Blizzard did the right thing when they choose to not announce Diablo IV at Blizzcon. Yes, the announcement of Diablo Eternal there was a mistake, but announcing a game many years before its launch is even worse.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm not sure if I want to start a new thread for this, but it has to do with the Xbox one X hardware, specifically the fan noise.

I just want to know if the noise is just annoying or something serious. Getting a replacement/return may be more complicated/annoying than the fan noise at this point. Which is to say, I could live with it so long as doing so isn't risking the machine.

Air is moving, it just has a slight "grind/wrrr" sound. It's certainly not normal, but it isn't ridiculous. Like I said, I could live with it.

Also, if there's a thread better suited for this question, let me know.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
MS factor in a few things with who they decide to acquire.

Chief among them is efficiency and output. They want devs who can release games on a regular schedule.

Look at thier acquisitions so far:

Playground.

4 Forza Horizon games since dev started in 2012, plus multiple expansions. Efficient and regular output.

Ninja Theory.

Over the last ten years have released Enslaved, DMC, Hellblade, and going back a bit further Heavenly Sword.

Undead.

Both SOD games were released on a shoestring budget and delivered on time.

Obsidian.

Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park, plus numerous PC games all over the last ten years

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I'd want one larger title (Gears, Halo etc.) and one smaller title (Cuphead, Battletoads) alternating between quarters. So 4 1st Party titles on GP a year.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
And they should never stop acquiring or creating imo. Xbox has had the breaks on for too long

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
What do you think they're aiming for? A new 1st Party title on GP every other quarter?
Game Pass, and of course physical! Hope they won't forget traditional way to sell their products. Not only focused on Game Pass.

I would like to have most of or maybe even every release for 2019 and beyond on my shelf. Not only digitally by monthly subscription where I don't even own my copy.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What do you think they're aiming for? A new 1st Party title on GP every other quarter?
Eventually they will want to release something every month.
Phew. I don't know about that. From a broader perspective they already are at that point including third-party, but from a first-party 12 titles per year seems a bit too ambitious. Imo.
It's finally 2019 here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! I think it's realistic to expect 12 first party releases a year, one per month if we're not expecting all 12 games to be huge AAAA level games, yeah there will be some of those, some AA games and some smaller games, but eventually I think they'll get there.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
They have never remotely stated this...at all...literally the only thing they've ever said is that they tried to get a Switch dev kit and got shot down.
I swear I remember an interview somewhere of someone from Moon stating that their next project is their "Dream Project" and that they're looking forward to bringing it to more platforms (of course, I'm paraphrasing). I could potentially be thinking of something completely different though, as I'm not finding anything to back up that claim.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
It's finally 2019 here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! I think it's realistic to expect 12 first party releases a year, one per month if we're not expecting all 12 games to be huge AAAA level games, yeah there will be some of those, some AA games and some smaller games, but eventually I think they'll get there.
I think 12 exclusive games a year is possible, but first party? Not with the current first party roster of studios. They'd need to expand a lot more than they already have, which is saying something.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think 12 exclusive games a year is possible, but first party? Not with the current first party roster of studios. They'd need to expand a lot more than they already have, which is saying something.
Again, I think they'll continue to expand with that goal in mind and of course not all of those games will be from internal teams, some of those will come from MGSP too and a lot of those will be smaller scale games too, like battletoads.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So I'm not sure if I want to start a new thread for this, but it has to do with the Xbox one X hardware, specifically the fan noise.

I just want to know if the noise is just annoying or something serious. Getting a replacement/return may be more complicated/annoying than the fan noise at this point. Which is to say, I could live with it so long as doing so isn't risking the machine.

Air is moving, it just has a slight "grind/wrrr" sound. It's certainly not normal, but it isn't ridiculous. Like I said, I could live with it.

Also, if there's a thread better suited for this question, let me know.

Call Microsoft. If you're still within warranty, they may ask you to send it in. I had the same thing happen and that's what they asked me to do. They specifically said it shouldn't be doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.