Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Thank God, can't stand her

I'd be down with all of these except for Remedy, Control looks like doo doo

If i had to choose 4, I'd choose IO, Turtle Rock, DontNod and Moon

What do people have against Jade? Not sure I understand her critics.

I wouldn't write off Remedy. Control looks imaginative and I really like that they're opening up the world design so it's not as on rails as their past games. The downgrade in production values is a result of funding. That goes back up if they were under Microsoft.

I don't expect Microsoft to purchase Remedy because they don't punch above their weight but my point is not to cast them aside because their production values dipped. Control is being funded by a small publisher.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do people have against Jade? Not sure I understand her critics.

I do wonder whether people don't actually dislike Jade Raymond, but dislike the persona of Jade Raymond as generated and perpetuated by the toxic gaming community. Like they might see her as attention-seeking and overly-vocal, when actually it's the nature of her feminism that's going to attract the (usually negative) attention of gamers, which increases Twitter traffic, threads, news stories etc. I'm speaking about gamers in the very broad sense.

To clarify, that's not to say that all people who dislike her are toxic, but I wonder if they're influenced by her negative and exaggerated attention.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what is hindering the Xbox to have Shareplay like PS4?

I know Xbox does streaming through Mixer, but I think the shareplay feature is missing.

My buddies were having a get together last Saturday night, I couldn't make it. However, through SharePlay, I was able to play with them and take turns playing games.

Any insight? Really hopeful the next Xbox does have this feature.

I'm pretty sure Xbox has something similar when streaming via Mixer. I've seen Ybarra load up Hellblade and give the controls to the audience.

Edit: Here's the support page article for it - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/mixer/broadcasting/share-your-controller-on-mixer

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what is hindering the Xbox to have Shareplay like PS4?

I know Xbox does streaming through Mixer, but I think the shareplay feature is missing.

My buddies were having a get together last Saturday night, I couldn't make it. However, through SharePlay, I was able to play with them and take turns playing games.

Any insight? Really hopeful the next Xbox does have this feature.

If I had to guess I would say it's the lack of promise for a return on the investment. I'm very they have the tech to do it right now via mixer, but building that it to a system level function would take some work. Maybe that work is hard to justify along with everything else they are doing.

Oct 26, 2018
The more I hear people suggest 4a, the more I see that it fits ms plans for acquisition.
1.a talented studio
2. Around 150 devs according to wiki
3. They also have 2 studios

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Xbox has something similar when streaming via Mixer. I've seen Ybarra load up Hellblade and give the controls to the audience.

Edit: Here's the support page article for it - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/mixer/broadcasting/share-your-controller-on-mixer
If I had to guess I would say it's the lack of promise for a return on the investment. I'm very they have the tech to do it right now via mixer, but building that it to a system level function would take some work. Maybe that work is hard to justify along with everything else they are doing.

So it is fair to guess they will hopefully do it right for the next generation. With the power of the X Cloud, it is nonsensical to think they won't properly implement it.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it is fair to guess they will hopefully do it right for the next generation. With the power of the X Cloud, it is nonsensical to think they won't properly implement it.

Honestly, I don't know if I would say that they're "doing it wrong" right now. The Mixer integration seems to work really well, and isn't limited to just Xbox. They also have that co-pilot feature for local play. Options all around.

If anything, they might just make Mixer even more integrated next-gen. Though it's pretty baked in right now.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
But does MS *need them?

With Gears and Halo, I figured MS rather look for diversity.
4A would just probably work in another FPS?
This is my fear with 4A as well, especially with all the Glen Schofield evidence floating around and the Turtle Rock and IO rumors. That'd give Microsoft 2-4 more dedicated shooter studios, plus The Initiative (which I think will likely be an action-adventure game with guns) and other projects that might be shooters (possible candidates include Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and Rare projects and a Perfect Dark revival). That's in addition to the 4-6 AAA shooters we see every year from third-party studios.

I think if Microsoft is really planning on blowing it out and adding a dozen more studios, 4A is an obvious choice, but if they're only nabbing a few more studios to complete the first party for now, they need to make sure they diversify a bit.

There's also a possibility that 4A is not interested in acquisition. I believe that Deep Silver has the publishing rights to the Metro series, so if 4A loves that series and wants to keep making them, they're probably better served not exploring an acquisition.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
EDIT: I thought you meant 4A games. A44 would be cool too. But 4A would be the tits. And it'd also fit Microsoft's dream of making AAAA games.
Why would 4A leave Deep Silver? It doesn't make sense.

I think Creative Assembly and Relic get purchased by MS.

They are Segas only presence in AAA game dev, and I think Sega want go fully mobile
No, they don't. PC and console games are their more profitable divisions.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
But does MS *need them?

Microsoft will always need talented devs. Halo might be an FPS, but it's nothing like Metro. And Gears is a third person cover shooter, can't really get further away from what 4A makes. They have 3 RPG studios so overlap doesn't seem to be a concern when there is undeniable talent.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They need more shooter diversity than just halo and gears, I'm pretty sure having a diverse lineup of all genres would be healthy and not just the main ones

4a could make a non pillar AAA fps game

I suppose a new shooter with a strong single player (4A is good with that) could do wonders for MS)

I was alluding to the shooter Genre. My apologies.
[

QUOTE="Samurai G0SU, post: 16731509, member: 30000"]yeah, they will only work on fps and wont go beyond what Metro is. you're right positive gamer, they wont ever dare or have a chance to make something else. what a shame! SAD![/QUOTE]
Sarcasm not needed.

Honestly, I don't know if I would say that they're "doing it wrong" right now. The Mixer integration seems to work really well, and isn't limited to just Xbox. They also have that co-pilot feature for local play. Options all around.

If anything, they might just make Mixer even more integrated next-gen. Though it's pretty baked in right now.

Man, this is news to me..is there a tutorial for this? I had no idea I could play games remotely like PS4 on the Xbox.

Just another FPS. Such a niche market of FPS games. No room for more and new ideas in the first person perspective.

OKAY?

This is my fear with 4A as well, especially with all the Glen Schofield evidence floating around and the Turtle Rock and IO rumors. That'd give Microsoft 2-4 more dedicated shooter studios, plus The Initiative (which I think will likely be an action-adventure game with guns) and other projects that might be shooters (possible candidates include Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and Rare projects and a Perfect Dark revival). That's in addition to the 4-6 AAA shooters we see every year from third-party studios.

I think if Microsoft is really planning on blowing it out and adding a dozen more studios, 4A is an obvious choice, but if they're only nabbing a few more studios to complete the first party for now, they need to make sure they diversify a bit.

There's also a possibility that 4A is not interested in acquisition. I believe that Deep Silver has the publishing rights to the Metro series, so if 4A loves that series and wants to keep making them, they're probably better served not exploring an acquisition.

That's what I also thought. 4A doesn't seem like a candidate due to that. It is going to be interesting to see how Metro fares in February..
Many think it will easily bomb due to so many games coming out. It will be hard for them do get the green light for another Metro if this one bombs..

Will see.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
4A would be a great get. A horror/survival based FPS is always a winner and who knows what else they could move on to!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is news to me..is there a tutorial for this? I had no idea I could play games remotely like PS4 on the Xbox.
I threw the tutorial link in my first post to you my friend. You just need a friend who's willing to stream their gameplay via Mixer (I think they can limit the audience) and share controls with you. Works from just about anywhere to my understanding.

Last edited:

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Metro is nothing like Halo or Gears. First off Gears is a TPS, just saying. Regardless, shooters differ.

Also genre's should not be your main focus, but rather, if the game is good or not.

I can see where genre may be important, if only just get a little bit of a change up in content. With COD, Halo, and BF, the FPS stories are a bit stale in terms of variety. I think that's why Metro is so anticipated. I'm not sure we can count Anthem or Destiny as FPS', and I believe there's a craving for some straight up shootem ups out there with original stories.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I can see where genre may be important, if only just get a little bit of a change up in content. With COD, Halo, and BF, the FPS stories are a bit stale in terms of variety. I think that's why Metro is so anticipated. I'm not sure we can count Anthem or Destiny as FPS', and I believe there's a craving for some straight up shootem ups out there with original stories.

Obviously you dont want 16 studios doing the same genre, but to lump up a genre together as if they are all the same and cater to the same fan is wrong.

Witcher is not Dragon's Dogma, Conker isnt Mario, Halo isnt PUBG, and Uncharted isnt Gears. These are all very different games that cater to different fans within the same genre.

Also, dont box a developer into making only one genre. Obviously, in some situations a developer may specialize in that, such as Obsidian with RPG games, but dont be surprised if other developers do numerous genres in their lifespan. Can we really be certain what Rare will do next as an example?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is Microsoft actually planning to purchase more studios? or is all this wishful thinking?

I expect them to get more aggressive with purchasing studios this year. Maybe not quantity but I expect a few big ticket purchases this year that will create a quite a few waves on the net.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS will have so many good studios working on nextgen goodies. Really excited to see them go all out.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
But does MS *need them?

I'd argue that 4A's games don't fit into the typical shooter category. Lot more stealth, survival and story driven. It's a first person shooter only because of the perspective...otherwise it could just as easily be a linear action adventure.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
4A would be cool. Adds a really unique content creator. I can see the location being a problem though.

Their headquarters is in Malta now though, could make things a bit easier.

Imagine the costs of development would rise exponentially if they are acquired. Think their Ukrainian/Maltese salaries are quite a bit lower than the Microsoft Studios salaries.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
MS factor in a few things with who they decide to acquire.

Chief among them is efficiency and output. They want devs who can release games on a regular schedule.

Look at thier acquisitions so far:

Playground.

4 Forza Horizon games since dev started in 2012, plus multiple expansions. Efficient and regular output.

Ninja Theory.

Over the last ten years have released Enslaved, DMC, Hellblade, and going back a bit further Heavenly Sword.

Undead.

Both SOD games were released on a shoestring budget and delivered on time.

Obsidian.

Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park, plus numerous PC games all over the last ten years
Their headquarters is in Malta now though, could make things a bit easier.

Imagine the costs of development would rise exponentially if they are acquired. Think their Ukrainian/Maltese salaries are quite a bit lower than the Microsoft Studios salaries.
Ukraine is next to Poland where they can make main HQ for Central and Eastern Europe.

But this studio has a HQ in Cyprus as well for obvious cheap tax aspects.
With the exception of Mojang - which got acquired because of Minecraft and not solely because of the studio itself - Xbox has yet to prove that they are willed to invest outside of their powerhouses UK/USA/Canada. From a strategic viewpoint I can see why they concentrate on these locations as they want to create network hubs for talents here. It remains to be seen if they will make moves in other countries. They shouldn't acquire a studio at the end of the world without having any kind of logistic connection to that studio though. You can't leave your studios "alone" like that imo. You need some form of connection at least - or you will alienate your teams very fast.

I understand both sides to be honest. On paper it makes sense to have as much diversity in your studios as you want to have in line-up. It can be risky though - which is why it isn't that surprising that they focused on their three main countries so far. Maybe the future will change that. But I wouldn't be too surprised if it wouldn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.