• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Obviously you dont want 16 studios doing the same genre, but to lump up a genre together as if they are all the same and cater to the same fan is wrong.

Witcher is not Dragon's Dogma, Conker isnt Mario, Halo isnt PUBG, and Uncharted isnt Gears. These are all very different games that cater to different fans within the same genre.

Also, dont box a developer into making only one genre. Obviously, in some situations a developer may specialize in that, such as Obsidian with RPG games, but dont be surprised if other developers do numerous genres in their lifespan. Can we really be certain what Rare will do next as an example?

Good point about Rare and in general. I think you don't want to box devs in, but at the same time it seemed like MS bought a few devs with similar pedigrees in terms of development.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
With the exception of Mojang - which got acquired because of Minecraft and not solely because of the studio itself - Xbox has yet to prove that they are willed to invest outside of their powerhouses UK/USA/Canada. From a strategic viewpoint I can see why they concentrate on these locations as they want to create network hubs for talents here. It remains to be seen if they will make move in other countries. They shouldn't acquire a studio at the end of the world without having any kind of logistic connection to that studio though.
Well they previously had Press Play (Denmark), that seemed to work fine. I would assume western Europe is possible, outside of that could be an issue though.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Well they previously had Press Play (Denmark), that seemed to work fine. I would assume western Europe is possible, outside of that could be an issue though.

Until they closed Press Play...., if they're gonna acquire any European studios they'll either be based in the U.K., or in Northen Europe (Scandinavia) where they already have a presence, anywhere else dosent make sense from a logistical perspective.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Until they closed Press Play...., if they're gonna acquire any European studios they'll either be based in the U.K., or in Northen Europe (Scandinavia) where they already have a presence, anywhere else dosent make sense from a logistical perspective.
Them being closed has nothing to do with my point though, they clearly worked fine logistically for the 6 years they were open (working with MS studios UK.) I thinks it's pretty obvious why they were closed, at a time were the budget was spread thin. It didn't make sense to have a first party indie team, thats what ID@Xbox was for. Those members from Press Play have since gone on to form new teams and they are working with ID@Xbox.

EDIT: Not to mention MSGP (working out of Seattle), who clearly doesn't see the logistics to be an issue at all. I just don't see what reason there is to believe that western Europe is off the table, outside of that sure. Thats why I think 4A could be an issue, but a studio like Remedy? I don't see the issue at all tbh. MS studios handles the large scale operation between Sweden, UK and Seattle for Minecraft fine. The previous head of Minecraft now being the head of MS studios, having that experience could be very beneficial to their first party side.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hm. I would say Press Play was the perfect example that it didn't work. I don't have the feeling the team ever felt properly "connected" to Xbox or its Microsoft Studios ecosystem either. Their last pitch was decided on by the community, never felt really guided or filled with confidence and ultimately lead to their closure. Obviously this wasn't the only reason.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
One of the benefits for the studio if Microsoft buys them is the synergy they could have with other studios. Buying a studio and leaving it on an island by itself...it doesn't really make it better. You can't assume just because they are owned by Microsoft that they easily leverage their parent company. My company of about 600 people was bought out by a large corporation that's only 5 hours away and we're still not leveraging their tech and knowledge the way we should after 7 years. When you're able to put multiple studios in the same region, it creates excitement, opportunity and ability for these guys to utilize each other.

It still cost a good amount of money to take a trip for 1 person for 1 day to the parent company. Closer these studios are, better it will be for the studios.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I would say Press Play was the perfect example that it didn't work. I don't have the feeling the team ever felt properly "connected" to Xbox or its Microsoft Studios ecosystem either. Their last pitch was decided on by the community, never felt really guided or filled with confidence and ultimately lead to their closure. Obviously this wasn't the only reason.
Well they were supposedly collaborating and sharing tech with Lift London, so it seems like they were pretty integrated with the MS studios UK side at least.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of the benefits for the studio if Microsoft buys them is the synergy they could have with other studios. Buying a studio and leaving it on an island by itself...it doesn't really make it better. You can't assume just because they are owned by Microsoft that they easily leverage their parent company. My company of about 600 people was bought out by a large corporation that's only 5 hours away and we're still not leveraging their tech and knowledge the way we should after 7 years. When you're able to put multiple studios in the same region, it creates excitement, opportunity and ability for these guys to utilize each other.

It still cost a good amount of money to take a trip for 1 person for 1 day to the parent company. Closer these studios are, better it will be for the studios.
+1

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
EDIT: Forgot I'd quoted that first post a while ago and then abandoned the thought

I mostly agree with you, but you have to start somewhere.

Im saying this more as wishful thinking for Asian, South American or South Pacific studios, but it holds in Eastern and Southern Europe too.

In the same way that Microsoft didn't always have a presence in Canada or the UK and had to build those regions over time with acquisitions and admin stuff, it's not out of the question they could do that in another region they don't currently have any foothold.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
With the exception of Mojang - which got acquired because of Minecraft and not solely because of the studio itself - Xbox has yet to prove that they are willed to invest outside of their powerhouses UK/USA/Canada. From a strategic viewpoint I can see why they concentrate on these locations as they want to create network hubs for talents here. It remains to be seen if they will make moves in other countries. They shouldn't acquire a studio at the end of the world without having any kind of logistic connection to that studio though. You can't leave your studios "alone" like that imo. You need some form of connection at least - or you will alienate your teams very fast.

I understand both sides to be honest. On paper it makes sense to have as much diversity in your studios as you want to have in line-up. It can be risky though - which is why it isn't that surprising that they focused on their three main countries so far. Maybe the future will change that. But I wouldn't be too surprised if it wouldn't either.

On the flip side you end up with studios all competing for the same talent making filling vacant roles more challenging, but also have access to more options. Tricky situation.

Creating new network hubs, someone will have to be first. Perhaps an emerging region Microsoft sees investing more in the future.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
4a is not owned by deep silver though, they're a private company I believe
Deep Silver is just a publisher for Metro franchise. They don't own 4A Games.
4A is an indie studio. Deep Silver is just the publisher.
I know, but Deep Silver own the IP and they have a long-term partnership with 4A. Why would 4A suddenly choose another publisher?

There is a common point between Obsidian, inXile, Playground Games, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory and Compulsive Games: they wanted the long-term security that Microsoft can gives them. They want to stop to go from publisher to publisher, without knowing what they will do if they don't find anything.

But 4A is in a different situation. They worked with Deep Silver since 2013. Their games were critical and commercial success, they don't seem to have any problem with their publisher and I doubt THQ wants to stop working with them.

The question is not "would those studios be good for Microsoft", neither "would we like to see these studios as part of the Microsoft family", but "what can Microsoft give to them?"

I don't see any reason for 4A Games to join Microsoft. And the same is true for Relic and Creative Assembly. Sega is maybe the best publisher that a studio can have. They let a total freedom to theirs studios and don't want to an absurd growth. All the monetization of the game is chosen by the studio itself, not by Sega. Why would they agree to risk all of this? And why would Sega sell one of its more important studio?

For me, it doesn't make more sense to discuss the purchase of 4A Games or Creative Assembly than about CD Projekt, EA or Nintendo. We have many reasons to think it won't happen and none (or very few) reason to think it will.

Yes, we are on a forum. We won't change the world. But I think it's more interesting to make realistic guess. We're not here to discuss what our dream purchase would be, but what studio Microsoft could buy.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
This talk of Microsoft entering new markets is an important one to have and I've been thinking a lot about Microsoft's lack of Japanese games and a possible solution. A lot of you are going to hate this idea, but what if Microsoft opened a studio in the US/Canada that focused on creating Japanese-style games in the West? There's a ton of developers in the US/Canada that have a ton of passion for Japanese games and there's no reason they couldn't replicate the concepts/art style through a Western lens. Would they be completely authentic? No, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be good games and something completely new while varying Microsoft's catalog. You could argue that this is what Sucker Punch is doing with Ghosts of Tsushima. You could bring in Japanese developers to get fresh eyes and even partner with a Japanese developer/publisher as a means of opening communication and giving the game a ton of Japanese influence.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't think Microsoft is ready to move into Japan and compete in a big way with first-party games and this could be a good way to help start to bridge that gap. They need to walk before they can run and building partnerships with third-party Japanese developers and beginning to explore Japanese game development in an area they're more comfortable and would have total control over could be a good way to build their reputation in that area.

I don't know a ton about the anime world, unfortunately, but I believe there's a few anime-style shows now that are written and produced in the West.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
On the flip side you end up with studios all competing for the same talent making filling vacant roles more challenging, but also have access to more options. Tricky situation.

Creating new network hubs, someone will have to be first. Perhaps an emerging region Microsoft sees investing more in the future.
I absolutely agree. In theory I could see France being a prime example here.If they will make moves outside US/UK/CAN, we will either hear abut these in 2019 or probably never.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This talk of Microsoft entering new markets is an important one to have and I've been thinking a lot about Microsoft's lack of Japanese games and a possible solution. A lot of you are going to hate this idea, but what if Microsoft opened a studio in the US/Canada that focused on creating Japanese-style games in the West? There's a ton of developers in the US/Canada that have a ton of passion for Japanese games and there's no reason they couldn't replicate the concepts/art style through a Western lens. Would they be completely authentic? No, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be good games and something completely new while varying Microsoft's catalog. You could argue that this is what Sucker Punch is doing with Ghosts of Tsushima. You could bring in Japanese developers to get fresh eyes and even partner with a Japanese developer/publisher as a means of opening communication and giving the game a ton of Japanese influence.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't think Microsoft is ready to move into Japan and compete in a big way with first-party games and this could be a good way to help start to bridge that gap. They need to walk before they can run and building partnerships with third-party Japanese developers and beginning to explore Japanese game development in an area they're more comfortable and would have total control over could be a good way to build their reputation in that area.

I don't know a ton about the anime world, unfortunately, but I believe there's a few anime-style shows now that are written and produced in the West.
This isn't an altogether bad idea. Just look at what Netflix has done for Anime, they reinvigorated the genre.

Although I don't think using Western developers is the best idea. Ultimately they need to branch out to locations outside their comfort zones in the West ie Europe and Asia.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I never read 4chan but the thread about Sekiro brought me over there. There is a thread that says "Xbox tech > PS5" in their Video Games board but no real details. Are dev kits out for both already?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
No hint. Just a wish parallel to what they did at X018.

To be even more clear, as of today I don't know about a single existing LOI draft that is close to being a final version.

They still have a lot of work in front of them, as meetings and talks to various studios suggest.

good to hear there in active talks.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Actually works in favor of a corporation like Microsoft who's at the top of the pay scale for your industry. Having multiple studios in one area actually drives more talent to the area. It creates excitement and opportunity within which helps retain talent. Someone can go from one studio to another that has a vacancy without having to change where they get their check and benefits from. More opportunities to promote your best people. Any disadvantages are negligible compared to the advantages.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never read 4chan but the thread about Sekiro brought me over there. There is a thread that says "Xbox tech > PS5" in their Video Games board but no real details. Are dev kits out for both already?

It could well end up being the case, but it's impossible to gauge based on early rumours. Hell the early rumours prior to the Xbox One and PS4 reveals, were that Durango (XBO) was much more powerful than Orbis (PS4). All insiders hinted at as much, including Arthur Gies, Proelite and Karak, and we all know how that turned out.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
4A would be cool. Adds a really unique content creator. I can see the location being a problem though.

I do hope MS will expand beyond US/UK/Canada and I believe IO would be a great "central" studio that MS can build around. Based in Denmark, industry veterans, critically acclaimed, been through difficult financial situation so probably would appreciate a financial backing & stability with Xbox. Then, MS can invest in Germany, France, Sweden and Finland. Great talent pool there.

Would love Xbox to open a studio in Central Europe as well, Poland, Ukraine, Romania would be great addition but I can see the location to be a bit problematic (Ukrainie is not even in EU).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It could well end up being the case, but it's impossible to gauge based on early rumours. Hell the early rumours prior to the Xbox One and PS4 reveals, were that Durango (XBO) was much more powerful than Orbis (PS4). All insiders hinted at as much, including Arthur Gies, Proelite and Karak, and we all know how that turned out.
Indeed we had rumours going both ways.

This EG article from the February before launch was surprisingly accurate: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Indeed we had rumours going both ways.

This EG article from the February before launch was surprisingly accurate: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

Thing is, the Eurogamer and other articles were based off of more substantial rumours, since at that point we actually had leaked white papers for the specifications of the hardware, and thus based on those specifications (which were confirmed by Lherre and others), more informed articles and discussions could be had. My post was specifically referring to earlier rumours that cropped up well before that, when no specific specs or papers had yet been leaked.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Thing is, the Eurogamer and other articles were based off of more substantial rumours, since at that point we actually had leaked white papers for the specifications of the hardware, and thus based on those specifications (which were confirmed by Lherre and others), more informed articles and discussions could be had. My post was specifically referring to earlier rumours that cropped up well before that, when no specific specs or papers had yet been leaked.
Yes I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you. If you read my earlier post in this thread, I made it pretty clear that the 4chan rumour is nonsense.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Hey everybody, I am trying to confirm something. Did Phil say something about Xcloud having thousands of games with no extra work required from developers?

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Studios Dream Team

HUB Microsoft Studios America:

- 343 Industries
- The Initiative
- Turn10
- Obsidian
- InXile
- InXile NOLA
- Undead Labs
- Schofield Studio?
- Bluepoint Games?
- Certain Affinity?
- Iron Galaxy?
- Turtle Rock?

HUB Microsoft Studios Canada:

- The Coalition
- Compulsion Games
- Relic?
- Typhoon Studios?
- Jade Studio?
- Skybox Labs?
- CyberConnect2?

HUB Microsoft Studios UK:

- Rare
- Playground Games Horizon
- Playground Games Fable
- Ninja Theory
- Senua's Studio
- Creative Assembly?

HUB Microsoft Studios France:

- Asobo Studio?
- Holoforge Studio?
- Dontnod?

HUB Microsoft Studios Nordic:

- Mojang
- Remedy?
- IO Interactive?
- Paradox Interactive?

HUB Microsoft Studios Eastern Europe ( 2 or 3 Studios ):

- 4A?
- The Farm 51?
- Bohemia Interactive?
- The Astronauts?
- People Can Fly?
- CI Games
- Techland?
- CD Projekt Red?

HUB Microsoft Studios Asia ( 2 or 3 Studios ):

- Platinum Games?
- From Software?
- CyberConnect2?
- Phantagram?
- ARC System Works?
- Mistwalker?
- Silicon Studio?
- Level 5?

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting! Time will tell how invested both Google and Amazon really are in this space. Did we ever get anything substantial from Amazon's big gaming push?

The Game Streaming service wont be here until at least next year from the sounds of it. That may be their big gaming plan, but im sure we will start hearing a lot about it later this year.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Actually works in favor of a corporation like Microsoft who's at the top of the pay scale for your industry. Having multiple studios in one area actually drives more talent to the area. It creates excitement and opportunity within which helps retain talent. Someone can go from one studio to another that has a vacancy without having to change where they get their check and benefits from. More opportunities to promote your best people. Any disadvantages are negligible compared to the advantages.

True, but Microsoft isnt the only player in town, which is good for employees in these hot spots, companies have to offer competing salaries and incentives.

And talent gets drawn to these areas, but some dont. And its important to keep in mind. The big problem for studios is filling those leadership positions, and at what point have you reached a dry spell where all the veteran talent is already established?

Also factoring in what diveristy of cultures can bring to the creative process you might not get with these close nit networks.

More of a balancing act I'd say. Microsoft should look into exapanding in Texas, they're missing out on the huge talent pool there. Then to emerging markets France, New Zeland, Poland etc.

Some say the Asia region, if Microsoft hopes to establish a relationship with their studios could be difficult with the language barrier.

Last edited:

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Microsoft Studios Dream Team

HUB Microsoft Studios America:

- 343 Industries
- The Initiative
- Turn10
- Obsidian
- InXile
- InXile NOLA
- Undead Labs