• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2018
It's going to be interesting how Gears 5 is received. I think the future of Gears lies with that game.

I often see many online dismiss Gears. Even Youtubers like Angry Joe which was a huge Gears fan makes fun of MS and Gears now in days. People want MS to make new IPS.

If Gears 5 is not positively received, I have to think we won't see Gears 6 for a long time.
I think it's hard to think that msft is unsatisfied by the Coalition and makes the studio growing from 200 to 350 in two years and funds three different games. Plus gow4 has an extremely solid player base and still remains in the top 20 after two years way above the 2016 greatest hits like the division 1 and overwatch, what kind of publisher would be worried?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's hard to think that msft is unsatisfied by the Coalition and makes the studio growing from 200 to 350 in two years and funds three different games. Plus gow4 has an extremely solid player base and still remains in the top 20 after two years way above the 2016 greatest hits like the division 1 and overwatch, what kind of publisher would be worried?

Very True. I suppose I was thinking of bringing new users into the ecosystem rather than just satisfying the huge Gears fanbase.

I personally love Gears. Cannot wait for 5.

However, I know it is heavily dismiss by many gamers due to the MS meme with games and fatigue with the series.

I am sure MS wants their games to be recieved like Sony games are with each of their games. Maybe a new IP will be the only way to hit that mark.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Other things said in video off top of my head all of which is unconfirmed and subject to change and me mishearing.

Scarlet is Zen 2
The a Scarlet pro will have SSD
The lower Scarlet would take the X of the market pretty much instantly.
The discless XB1 is an S without a drive, looks exact same.
Everything at E3 will be available on XB1. Wouldn't be the case of Sony went so they aren't going.
MS wants to leverage Xbox for enterprise use.
Windows store to be redesigned around Xbox store.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting how Gears 5 is received. I think the future of Gears lies with that game.

I often see many online dismiss Gears. Even Youtubers like Angry Joe which was a huge Gears fan makes fun of MS and Gears now in days. People want MS to make new IPS.

I thought Gears 4 was well recieved by the Gears community? The tone of the characters might be a little off and the ending came out of nowhere, but it was a great game that fully captured what Gears is about. The combat was smooth and unlike many, I even liked the robot fights. I'm certainly not against new IP, but there's other MS developers I'd rather see doing that first. The Coalition is only just getting started with the franchise and they seem tremendously talented and probably a little underrated by people.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Gears 5 is not positively received, I have to think we won't see Gears 6 for a long time.

Angry Joe said he was burnt out with Halo back during the Reach days to the point he skipped Halo 4 but continues to review and play every single Call of Duty release. He also attacked Halo 5 during his review because he was afraid of what the REQ system would turn into (it turned out to be not what he feared) and he falsely claimed 343i did not let consumers know there was no split-screen when in fact they did announce that months before release.

Angry Joe is very inconsistent if not a bit hypocritical for those reasons.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
any able to post a summary?

eh, i dunno about that. isnt gears absolutely huge in latin america?
Let me try to see what I remember.

The winstore is a mess because Terry blocked stuff from Xbox making into windows. So some features that Xbox supports like ready to start that windows not supports is the reason of the installation issues. Ms is rebuilding the store now, this time with Xbox input and should solve those problems

Gamecore is a project to bring Xbox OS bits to windows (my guess the virtualization environment) to make development for both to be 100% equal (I guess keyboard and mouse support for Xbox also came from that)

MS should announce lots of games this year. They were holding because cloud computing will be big on their 1st party but they were waiting for Crackdown to release and prove that it works.

He says Sony skipped this year because they know ps4 won't run ps5 games whereas xbone, S and X will run any Scarlett game so they are going to announce tons of games to launch around the scarlet launch this year already. He says he knows some but is looking for further confirmation (and he says Ms is pitching publishers and developers for the base not resetting and xbone being able to run scarlet games so they are pretty confident)

He don't know how they will do to support the jaguar cores for much long but they believe they will use streaming to allow it.

MS has the tech to do more than physics on the cloud and they will gradually roll out once they get streaming out of the gate (think Raytracing on the cloud)

MS had a streaming sticket ready to launch already, but they canceled. The current prototype is a streaming box with local hardware to reduce latency (likely AI processors)

Don't know how many consoles they will launch, they are still deciding. There's a chance some of the versions to launch only at their stores and specific retailers to avoid confusion.

Xbox live will be more integrated in the os. Looks like he described something that just works for all games and magically can even invite a friend on your list to a non Xbox live game. (he said more like as a goal for the team but they don't know when and if they will deliver it)

Anaconda aims at 4k60

Ms is also pitching cloud to developers showing they can sell more games, dlc, mtx if the developers allow the game to be streamed. Going for 100% compatibility. Said that Ms is working very hard to get the cloud right. Not just on the tech but all aspects including library.

The discless S is basically a S with the disc entry photoshopped out. May be cheaper due subzidies and are in production since October last year. He thinks it will be announced in the first half of the year to launch on the years end.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The scalability of games won't last forever...maybe within the first year or two but after that...you'll most likely have to depend on the cloud to play those games unless you buy a newer console. You can only scale but so much.

The cloud component of forward compatibility is interesting. Jez said something to the effect that games weren't going to be cross gen as long as he initially thought based on the new API or changes to UWP. I do wonder how well the hybrid options of local/cloud compute can translate to the Xbox S. Like is the S powerful enough to handle enough of the latency sensitive operations that cloud could take over the rest of next gen games...at least at a 900P resolution. Is Lockhart, the arcade next gen system, going to be built with streaming and cloud compute in mind in order to futur proof it?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The cloud component of forward compatibility is interesting. Jez said something to the effect that games weren't going to be cross gen as long as he initially thought based on the new API or changes to UWP. I do wonder how well the hybrid options of local/cloud compute can translate to the Xbox S. Like is the S powerful enough to handle enough of the latency sensitive operations that cloud could take over the rest of next gen games...at least at a 900P resolution. Is Lockhart, the arcade next gen system, going to be built with streaming and cloud compute in mind in order to futur proof it?
Everything will be based on the same architecture...this is info that we already know per Brad Sams. Yes, Xbox One S will be able to run cloud enabled games...no reason it couldn't (unless MS chose not to) as phones will be able to stream as well. It's really about moving developers to the new platform and have games run through the cloud so that customers don't need to get a new box if they don't want it and can just stream newer games that it can't handle locally.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
After watching the Arstechnica video featuring Glen Schofield talking about making Dead Space, it really emphasizes how big of a get it would be to have a new studio built around Glen. The guy is talented, creative, and just gets stuff done.

Agree. There's a few high profile free agents out there. Amy Hennig and Schofield at the top of the list. I wonder if Microsoft has any more plans to start more studios from scratch. I think it's a tough sell to get a studio just purchased to accept a new lead unless it's part of the original negotiation.

IO is talented but needs better creative leadership. Wonder if there's a pairing there.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he believes XCloud will not cost extra, and that it may just be included with Xbox Live or Game Pass. This is what I was hoping for, as I dont think I would have bought it separately.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have an idea how Halo Wars 2 performed?
I remember comments that it did better than people think. Can't exaxtly remember the source though. We know it performed incredible in terms of digital attach ratio though.
Yea I wanna say zhuge said it did better than people expect. I think a halo wars 3 would be a no brained from the gamepass and PC perspective. Just don't go crazy with the budget

Also I wanna say CA already had some ideas for it that encompassed space warfare

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Gears 4 was well recieved by the Gears community?[/B] The tone of the characters might be a little off and the ending came out of nowhere, but it was a great game that fully captured what Gears is about. The combat was smooth and unlike many, I even liked the robot fights. I'm certainly not against new IP, but there's other MS developers I'd rather see doing that first. The Coalition is only just getting started with the franchise and they seem tremendously talented and probably a little underrated by people.

For sure. I was alluding to the causal fan coming back to the franchise. It seems many fans jumped out after Gears 3. I want to think MS wants to increase the popularity of the services not just with the core of fans.

Angry Joe said he was burnt out with Halo back during the Reach days to the point he skipped Halo 4 but continues to review and play every single Call of Duty release. He also attacked Halo 5 during his review because he was afraid of what the REQ system would turn into (it turned out to be not what he feared) and he falsely claimed 343i did not let consumers know there was no split-screen when in fact they did announce that months before release.

Angry Joe is very inconsistent if not a bit hypocritical for those reasons.

Yeah... never mind
You made some good points. He used to be a huge Xbox fanboy. Now, he literally just hates the Xbox even to the point he admitted to loosing all connections he had with MS due to the way he has thrashed them. He admits to jump ship and now he is a Sony fanboy. Which is fine, but when you make videos with lies or just poor research, it clearly paints a grim picture.

I am not a fanboy of anything.. but his attitude can be ridiculous for a person of his age.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
After watching the Arstechnica video featuring Glen Schofield talking about making Dead Space, it really emphasizes how big of a get it would be to have a new studio built around Glen. The guy is talented, creative, and just gets stuff done.
Booty said back at E3 that they are actively looking for creative leaders to build studios for them, like they did with Darrell Gallagher and The Initiative. So that won't be the last. If anything, that's far more interesting to me than whatever studios Microsoft decides to acquire. Because these will be brand new studios, making brand new games, from some of the leading creative minds in the industry.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I wanna say zhuge said it did better than people expect. I think a halo wars 3 would be a no brained from the gamepass and PC perspective. Just don't go crazy with the budget

Also I wanna say CA already had some ideas for it that encompassed space warfare

With Play Anywhere, cross-play with keyboard and mouse, Game Pass and xCloud, a new installment in relatively smaller series will immediately end up being played by millions of people worldwide. That's going to be a not negligible fact in the future, as long as a game convinces enough players to stay subscribed for another month it's a win for Microsoft, regardless of actual sales basically.

Jun 22, 2018

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Sams is fine. Dealer is the one who is a clown.
Again, false. Dealer is pretty solid- especially compared to Crapgamer. He can be a bit of a fanboy at times but his opinions and tech-savvy approach is much appreciated in the gaming community.

Can't believe you even went there...

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like he believes XCloud will not cost extra, and that it may just be included with Xbox Live or Game Pass. This is what I was hoping for, as I dont think I would have bought it separately.
And guess who was the one saying that before Brad? :)
Though I think it will be in Xbox Game Pass rather than Xbox Live Gold. Being in both as Camonna Tong had suggested also makes sense...I just think focusing on Xbox Game Pass is the smart idea. They want to funnel everything through Xbox Game Pass.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Well respected and known insider Dealer Gaming had Brad Sams on the RDX podcast today. Interesting indeed

Definitely worth listening to the entire show. Very interesting and a great deal of insight into Microsoft's next gen Xbox plans including the massive potential of xCloud.

Ive been thinking about the possibility that over time, Microsoft will upgrade the xCloud server rack hardware to be able to handle even better graphics than what Lockhart and even Anaconda will be able to do. Including raytracing or just 4K/60 instead of raytracing. They talked about this to s towards the end.

I recommend taking the time to listen to this if you haven't already.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Let me try to see what I remember.

The winstore is a mess because Terry blocked stuff from Xbox making into windows. So some features that Xbox supports like ready to start that windows not supports is the reason of the installation issues. Ms is rebuilding the store now, this time with Xbox input and should solve those problems

Gamecore is a project to bring Xbox OS bits to windows (my guess the virtualization environment) to make development for both to be 100% equal (I guess keyboard and mouse support for Xbox also came from that)

MS should announce lots of games this year. They were holding because cloud computing will be big on their 1st party but they were waiting for Crackdown to release and prove that it works.

He says Sony skipped this year because they know ps4 won't run ps5 games whereas xbone, S and X will run any Scarlett game so they are going to announce tons of games to launch around the scarlet launch this year already. He says he knows some but is looking for further confirmation (and he says Ms is pitching publishers and developers for the base not resetting and xbone being able to run scarlet games so they are pretty confident)

He don't know how they will do to support the jaguar cores for much long but they believe they will use streaming to allow it.

MS has the tech to do more than physics on the cloud and they will gradually roll out once they get streaming out of the gate (think Raytracing on the cloud)

MS had a streaming sticket ready to launch already, but they canceled. The current prototype is a streaming box with local hardware to reduce latency (likely AI processors)

Don't know how many consoles they will launch, they are still deciding. There's a chance some of the versions to launch only at their stores and specific retailers to avoid confusion.

Xbox live will be more integrated in the os. Looks like he described something that just works for all games and magically can even invite a friend on your list to a non Xbox live game. (he said more like as a goal for the team but they don't know when and if they will deliver it)

Anaconda aims at 4k60

Ms is also pitching cloud to developers showing they can sell more games, dlc, mtx if the developers allow the game to be streamed. Going for 100% compatibility. Said that Ms is working very hard to get the cloud right. Not just on the tech but all aspects including library.

The discless S is basically a S with the disc entry photoshopped out. May be cheaper due subzidies and are in production since October last year. He thinks it will be announced in the first half of the year to launch on the years end.

I don't know how to feel about this. If true I think this is a potential misstep.

S support in 2020 for anything beyond indies and streaming would be an unnecessary strain for developers. AAA games already look dated on the S today and I can't imagine how they would fare compared to next gen.

Japanese developers in particular who are already giving half hearted support are all of a sudden going to support multiple versions, etc. I think complicating things will just drive them further away. Don't play yourself Spencer. You've been doing great up til now.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California

https://www.windowscentral.com/sega-dreamcast

To be clear, the Dreamcast didn't run Windows CE. It never ran anything in the sense of a traditional OS, instead injecting the necessary bits when it booted up a game. What Microsoft and Sega had done was partner up to allow game developers to build titles for Windows CE that would run on the Dreamcast. The dream was real: help game developers create titles for PC and console using Windows-based tools. Any of that sound familiar?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
And guess who was the one saying that before Brad? :)
Though I think it will be in Xbox Game Pass rather than Xbox Live Gold. Being in both as Camonna Tong had suggested also makes sense...I just think focusing on Xbox Game Pass is the smart idea. They want to funnel everything through Xbox Game Pass.
yeah i do remember you discussing this before. Looks like youre on to something with this, assuming that is the direction they take.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to feel about this. If true I think this is a potential misstep.

S support in 2020 for anything beyond indies and streaming would be an unnecessary strain for developers. AAA games already look dated on the S today and I can't imagine how they would fare compared to next gen.

Japanese developers in particular who are already giving half hearted support are all of a sudden going to support multiple versions, etc. I think complicating things will just drive them further away. Don't play yourself Spencer. You've been doing great up til now.

There's no extra work going to be involved. The dev tools take care of everything.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The scalability of games won't last forever...maybe within the first year or two but after that...you'll most likely have to depend on the cloud to play those games unless you buy a newer console. You can only scale but so much.

Maybe for the stock Xbox or the S, but the X is a pretty ferocious box of cats. I imagine they'll do what PC games have done for years, with low to ultra settings and just scale automatically based on the hardware it's running on, with current gen (or maybe just PC) targeting ultra and last gen going down to low. I'm not saying that it will never catch up and the Xbox One X won't ever be made obsolete, but I think it'll take more than one or two years.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lvl 35 Boss

unknown.png

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So was Phil Spencer on stage just to talk about the past with AMD for a few minutes? Like I'm not demanding an announcement, I'm just surprised he came out and the blocked off the time with him just for that. Maybe he was already in town for the show and decided to drop in

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
yeah i do remember you discussing this before. Looks like youre on to something with this, assuming that is the direction they take.
There's a lot of things I've been saying...and this was one of my main points. Raytracing, xCloud within XGP (no increase in price), MP paywall going away...and other stuff on a smaller scale but dealing with xCloud and Mixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.