• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2018
So Ready at Dawn opened a new studio in Portland and haven't had a hit game in some time.

IOI are also expanding into Malmo, and the last few years have been difficult.

These devs wouldn't be opening new studios without security.

So maybe they are being acquired?

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So Ready at Dawn opened a new studio in Portland and haven't had a hit game in some time.

I want MS to have a presence in Oregon, Bay area and Texas, expecting to hear some good things this year on that end.

Nov 2, 2017
They may have just found some investors.
That could be true...but that is some poor investments if someone doesn’t have the plaform to bolster or resources to make them better. Looking at those studios narrowly, both are coming off of commercial failures. Usually that doesn’t equate to expansion...

Unless someone is looking at them as being a piece to a greater puzzle or....

...they blew investors away with pitches for new IPs behind the scenes.

New IPs are always major risks. I could see Microsoft, Sony, Amazon or Apple investing to drive their platforms but on their own these studios don’t seem like candidates for expansion. The only ones throwing money around irrationally are the Chinese giants so they could also be candidates.

We’d all be silly not to at least speculate about Microsoft. These seem to fit in terms of size and location.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, i've noticed that every time someone brings a youtuber to the table theres someone throwing shit to that youtuber
Whats wrong with the act man? he is not racist and i haven't see him talking about swj like someone said above
He's a gamergater and has said a load of transphobic shit, he's a real shitty guy.

Oct 28, 2018
It’s a movement bent on driving women and minorities out of the gaming community and development. Sexist/transphobic/racists the lot of them.
Is that true? Not trying to stoke flames but you seem very invested in this, which often leads to a skewed perspective. I'm completely agnostic on the whole thing and just want information on it.

EDIT: Seriously, not trying to stir anything up I've just never been clear on this whole thing. I googled it and it said GamerGate is the belief that representation and political correctness should work their way into video games, which some have rejected. So by this definition, wouldn't supporting GamerGate be a good thing? There's also something about a girl sleeping with journalist to get good reviews? Idk, there's a whole lot going on here.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Is that true? Not trying to stoke flames but you seem very invested in this, which often leads to a skewed perspective. I'm completely agnostic on the whole thing and just want information on it.

EDIT: Seriously, not trying to stir anything up I've just never been clear on this whole thing. I googled it and it said GamerGate is the belief that representation and political correctness should work their way into video games, which some have rejected. So by this definition, wouldn't supporting GamerGate be a good thing? There's also something about a girl sleeping with journalist to get good reviews? Idk, there's a whole lot going on here.
Gamer gate used that notion to harass and gather sexists and became a hate movement

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't have PC games. I don't game on a PC. Giving people options is exactly what I'm calling for. Give me the option of using a controller.
I fully understand that majority of gamers who play on PC use a mouse and keyboard while the vast majority if not well, everyone plays games on a console using a controller. Now think about this. Every PC game from now on ONLY allows you to play using a controller but NO mouse and keyboard. See my point in regards to Gears Tactics having a controller option on Xbox One?

PC games give you the primary option to play with - a mouse and keyboard.
Console games give you the primary option to play with - a controller.

Now imagine that you're forced to play games that aren't the primary way that everyone plays. Can't believe that no one sees or understands my point of view.

I know I'm late as hell but I agree with you both. I have 0 interest in playing with a keyboard and mouse. I see no reason why Gears Tactics couldn't be designed to handle either that or the controller.

Nov 2, 2017
I fully understand that majority of gamers who play on PC use a mouse and keyboard while the vast majority if not well, everyone plays games on a console using a controller. Now think about this. Every PC game from now on ONLY allows you to play using a controller but NO mouse and keyboard. See my point in regards to Gears Tactics having a controller option on Xbox One?

PC games give you the primary option to play with - a mouse and keyboard.
Console games give you the primary option to play with - a controller.

Now imagine that you're forced to play games that aren't the primary way that everyone plays. Can't believe that no one sees or understands my point of view.
I mean if it’s between no port and a kB/m only port what’s the big deal.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm late as hell but I agree with you both. I have 0 interest in playing with a keyboard and mouse. I see no reason why Gears Tactics couldn't be designed to handle either that or the controller.
I see it like this - console games are meant to be played with a controller. Porting a PC game to console but not being able to play said game with a controller completely defeats the purpose of porting said game to the console in the first place. I'm interested in playing Gears Tactics but if the game can only be played on Xbox One which is a home gaming console, then it's the same thing as if the game doesn't get ported to begin with because at the end of the day, I would no longer have interest in playing the game.

I mean if it’s between no port and a kB/m only port what’s the big deal.
See above and I would much rather not even see the game get ported to be perfectly honest simply because no controller option would have the same affect for me which is that I would no longer be interested in playing the game.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I see it like this - console games are meant to be played with a controller. Porting a PC game to console but not being able to play said game with a controller completely defeats the purpose of porting said game to the console in the first place. I'm interested in playing Gears Tactics but if the game can only be played on Xbox One which is a home gaming console, then it's the same thing as if the game doesn't get ported to begin with because at the end of the day, I would no longer have interest in playing the game.
Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from. That said, if the game truly caught my desire and HAD to be played using a keyboard and mouse I'd simply plug up my dusty set to the system and play it. It just shouldn't have to be the that or nothing since it's on consoles.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from. That said, if the game truly caught my desire and HAD to be played using a keyboard and mouse I'd simply plug up my dusty set to the system and play it. It just shouldn't have to be the that or nothing since it's on consoles.
I'm not a PC gamer. Since 1989 with NES, I have been and will always be a console only gamer. Give me a console and a controller. Very basic. Very simple. Also, I have a laptop PC so even if playing with a keyboard and mouse was okay with me, I couldn't play that way even if I wanted to and no, im not buying a keyboard and mouse for one game. In my mind, it makes as much sense porting a PC game to consoles with no controller support as porting a console game to PC with no keyboard and mouse support. It simply makes zero sense. But whatever.

Oct 27, 2017

They've been pretty deep into VR lately with Oculus serving as publisher. I assume they're doing alright financially in that space.

Jan 4, 2018
Mainline Forza needs to be a game every 3-4 years not 2.
I wonder if the small timeftame between games was in part due to well... needing games
They didn’t have that many studios producing exclusive games so they had to use those that they had to put out as many games as possible and now that they’ve expanded their output capacity they’re not so pressed and can allow the series more time between games so that allows them to iterate further

OP
OP
Kaironaut
Oct 25, 2017
OT4 will be posted shortly. I'm doing this a bit early because I'm about to go to bed and I know some people won't be able to wait six hours and well into page 401 for me to post.

So there's that.

Oct 25, 2017
What a ride this OT was. The hype around X018 was perhaps exaggerated by some, but at the same time we got new studios out of it again, something I expect at this point at the next conferences as well. Where we going next? We'll find out in OT4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.