• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
All this talk of the importance of E3, hate for Microsoft, what do they need to do, etc., etc.

Throw me in the camp of I'm not going to stress out about how a megacorporation maximizes their vast resources to communicate with the marketplace in a time period where a dumb ass can become president by use of social media.

What happened in 2013 won't stick if Microsoft is competent.

Gamers are fickle. The ones in this forum are super loyal enthusiasts and don't represent the vast majority of consumers.

The landscape of gaming is changing.

Markets are opening up where there was no market for console makers previously.

Ways to reach potential consumers has never been greater.

The perceived value of your services and subscriptions will be more important than exclusive list wars.

Hardware is just one means to reach consumers. No longer a barrier.

The Golden State Warrior are not going to be handed the Championship this year just because they dominated last year.

First to 10 million consoles doesn't win the race anymore.

Metacritic doesn't represent success or failure. (See Destiny 1, Rainbow Six Siege, Sea of Thieves and Fortnite)

The only losers are those who can't make money and quit the business.

There is more value on any one platform than there's ever been on a platform in past generations.

Who gives a fuck what hardcore anti-Microsoft extremists think about the brand based on he decisions of employees who no longer work there.

So much exciting shit is happening in gaming on all platforms. Don't waste this time stressing out.
Microsoft could bomb E3 while they make shit tons of money and you and your friends enjoy Game Pass and amazing evolutions of gaming on the upcoming evolutions in hardware.
Great post!

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The jobs talk about their next "world class rpg", is that The Outer Worlds or something else? Doesn't make sense to not include the name of the game if it's already announced...

I think it's TOW, and I think specifically a lot of these hires are for TOW 2.

Obsidian has the Eternity Team working on a different project and their twitter isn't posting links to the careers page.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest
MS just showing
1.Halo
2.Gears
3.Ori
4.BattleToads
5.Ninja Theory Game
6.KI 2 Teaser (do it you cowards!)
7. Next Gen Tease (like they did with the X)

That's amazing IMO. Especially being the last E3 focused on this generation.

Age of Empires IV and Gears Tactics should show up as well. I would be wary of once again being the Halo and Gears show. It might be worth giving us at least a glimpse of the future with some brief reveals of new games coming from the new studios.

The jobs talk about their next "world class rpg", is that The Outer Worlds or something else? Doesn't make sense to not include the name of the game if it's already announced...

It's known they're currently working on one unannounced game. While I was looking up some MCA quotes on RPGCodex (one of the only reasons to visit that cesspool), there was some discussion about Chris Parker, one of the Obsidian owners, making "his Skyrim" with Microsoft's funding. That tells us nothing more outside of it having a bigger budget than The Outer Worlds - if its legit at all.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I´m arguing that even if Platinum Games were wanted by MS (which no one knows for sure), they would not sell themselves to MS for all the reasons I pointed out. You seem to be arguing why MS doesn´t want them .... for well reasons you are purely making up. You have no clue how well they are managed and how efficient they are, and it really is completely inappropriate to make such comments

Either way, I hope MS does get a Japanese studio, but Platinum Games is well out of their reach. And you seem to be talking to me from years into the future as you believe without a doubt that MS will have reached over a billion consumers with Xcloud and gamers of all platforms will be invested in gaming that way for MS games, but Platinum Games isn´t going to leave SE and Nintendo thinking that as it is not a certainty.

Lets be honest, money sways everybody, if Microsoft is willing to spend a lot for Japanese Studios, then they will. Obsidian, Ninja Theory and likely IOI will caved in.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Lets be honest, money sways everybody, if Microsoft is willing to spend a lot for Japanese Studios, then they will. Obsidian, Ninja Theory and likely IOI will caved in.

It's the level of support that not just Xbox provides but Microsoft, they are one if not the biggest company in the world

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
My political jab was my Trump turrets. I apologize. I'm still looking for a cure. Hoping to find one in 2 years. Will do better than bringing that here going forward.

I'm so not superior to anyone. I just have opinions. Seemed like a good place to say opinions. Feel free to debate it. I like debate...unless I feel apathy towards the subject.

I'll disagree about one thing you said. They can afford to fuck up. I don't think they will. It's better if they don't. If they impress less than Sony out the gate, they'll be fine. They made record profits after fucking up Nokia, Cortana, Zune, the Xbox One launch, Groove music, and the Windows Store. You and me...we probably don't have the equity to fuck up. They do. And they'll make money from gaming. They made major gaming profits after doing lots of fucking up. The new gaming world will be more in their wheelhouse...and Don Mattrick doesn't get to talk for Xbox anymore.

They'll be fine. I'm not going to stress it. I'm not judging you if you do.

I don't think you fully understand me. Microsoft as a corporation can afford to screw up, but not Xbox as a brand.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think you fully understand me. Microsoft as a corporation can afford to screw up, but not Xbox as a brand.

Define screw up. They aren't going to shit the bed, close studios, have Master Chief on roller skates and force Kinect 3 down our throats.

I'm not entirely sure they will compete with Sony's 2020 conference as Sony will have saved 2 years worth of reveals, has a bunch of studios who should be well into development and might be coming with their lineup through 2024.

Next generation won't be won at E3. Won't be won by first 10 million sold. Not sure we'll even declare a clear winner based on the branching strategies for the next 5 years. Landscape is different. You can go from no mindshare to blowing up overnight. Think about Fortnite. If $400-$500 plastic is no longer a barrier to entry, imagine how fast an entire ecosystem can pick up steam...especially if it only cost a consumer $10 in a given month to jump in with both feet.

Edit: I take that back. It's usually $1 for first timers to jump into an entire platforms ecosystem. Console ecosystems are damned near free to play.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Define screw up. They aren't going to shit the bed, close studios, have Master Chief on roller skates and force Kinect 3 down our throats.

I'm not entirely sure they will compete with Sony's 2020 conference as Sony will have saved 2 years worth of reveals, has a bunch of studios who should be well into development and might be coming with their lineup through 2024.

Next generation won't be won at E3. Won't be won by first 10 million sold. Not sure we'll even declare a clear winner based on the branching strategies for the next 5 years. Landscape is different. You can go from no mindshare to blowing up overnight. Think about Fortnite. If $400-$500 plastic is no longer a barrier to entry, imagine how fast an entire ecosystem can pick up steam...especially if it only cost a consumer $10 in a given month to jump in with both feet.

Edit: I take that back. It's usually $1 for first timers to jump into an entire platforms ecosystem. Console ecosystems are damned near free to play.

It's hard to say what even wins these days? By the most objective measure (sales) PS4 won, but Microsoft has made real strides in addressing former problems, making more games and improving the accessibility of them. Personally, I think Xbox has never been healthier! Both won tbh!

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

Master Chief as a playable character in Jet Set Radio confirmed.

Mostly by messing up their messaging for their plans for the future, be it xCloud, improvements to the PC store and the length of gamepass titles on it. Also their marketing efforts outside of their comfort zones. I'm not saying they will mess it up, I have faith in the current leadership, but it's not out of the realms of possibility that something could go wrong.

My biggest worry is when Phil Spencer and Satya resign, and who will succeed them. Hopefully that won't happen for awhile, but it's something to think about.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's hard to say what even wins these days? By the most objective measure (sales) PS4 won, but Microsoft has made real strides in addressing former problems, making more games and improving the accessibility of them. Personally, I think Xbox has never been healthier! Both won tbh!

I think all platforms are incredibly healthy and all have room to grow which is why other megacorporations are now trying to jump in and get a piece of the growing pie. Xbox gamers have no reason to stress because Microsoft will continue to invest heavily in gaming throughout all next generation. Next few years are just build up towards the 5G world which is when many megacorporations think they'll find their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If Microsoft's gaming strategy fails, that won't be clear for years based on how fast things will keep changing and resetting the playing field. Nobody who buys the next Xbox has to worry about it being supported.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 will blow minds. With its bold female lead, an emphasis on cinematic moments as well as a very strong multiplayer component, I can see this becoming the critically-acclaimed (90+) title Xbox fans are eager for.

ConventionalEveryAgouti.gif

BlissfulGraciousGoitered.gif

It's been a long time since I've been so excited for a Gears game...

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Master Chief as a playable character in Jet Set Radio confirmed.

Mostly by messing up their messaging for their plans for the future, be it xCloud, improvements to the PC store and the length of gamepass titles on it. Also their marketing efforts outside of their comfort zones. I'm not saying they will mess it up, I have faith in the current leadership, but it's not out of the realms of possibility that something could go wrong.

My biggest worry is when Phil Spencer and Satya resign, and who will succeed them. Hopefully that won't happen for awhile, but it's something to think about.

Corporations aren't like people. They'll always change based on direction of their investors, leaders and market conditions. No reason to be loyal to a logo as a consumer. Someday they'll have different people. If you don't like the product under those different people, change products. In the meantime, the next 5 years as Xbox consumers will be heavily dictated by what their current strategy and investment is.

Switching platforms will be as easy as going from Spotify to Amazon Music in a few years. Good for consumers. In the meantime, this is an exciting time in gaming. I'm just as excited being a tech whore as I am as a gamer.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
All this talk of the importance of E3, hate for Microsoft, what do they need to do, etc., etc.

Throw me in the camp of I'm not going to stress out about how a megacorporation maximizes their vast resources to communicate with the marketplace in a time period where a dumb ass can become president by use of social media.

What happened in 2013 won't stick if Microsoft is competent.

Gamers are fickle. The ones in this forum are super loyal enthusiasts and don't represent the vast majority of consumers.

The landscape of gaming is changing.

Ways to reach potential consumers has never been greater.

The perceived value of your services and subscriptions will be more important than exclusive list wars.

Hardware is just one means to reach consumers. No longer a barrier.

The Golden State Warrior are not going to be handed the Championship this year just because they dominated last year.

First to 10 million consoles doesn't win the race anymore.

Metacritic doesn't represent success or failure. (See Destiny 1, Rainbow Six Siege, Sea of Thieves and Fortnite)

The only losers are those who can't make money and quit the business.

There is more value on any one platform than there's ever been on a platform in past generations.

Who gives a fuck what hardcore anti-Microsoft extremists think about the brand based on he decisions of employees who no longer work there.

So much exciting shit is happening in gaming on all platforms. Don't waste this time stressing out.
Microsoft could bomb E3 while they make shit tons of money and you and your friends enjoy Game Pass and amazing evolutions of gaming on the upcoming evolutions in hardware.

All well stated my man.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Corporations aren't like people. They'll always change based on direction of their investors, leaders and market conditions. No reason to be loyal to a logo as a consumer. Someday they'll have different people. If you don't like the product under those different people, change products. In the meantime, the next 5 years as Xbox consumers will be heavily dictated by what their current strategy and investment is.

Switching platforms will be as easy as going from Spotify to Amazon Music in a few years. Good for consumers. In the meantime, this is an exciting time in gaming. I'm just as excited being a tech whore as I am as a gamer.
Alright, I never said or implied anything about brand loyalty.

Yes you could easily switch platforms, but that's harder when they have the franchises you like most. It's like disliking the direction WWE is going in, but they have all your favorite wrestlers. It's not as clear-cut as moving on. You want to see them improve, to use their talent better. It can really suck to see them not being used at their full potential.

It's also not easy to abandon an ecosystem where you have made hundreds of dollars worth of purchases. It's not the same as Spotify to Google as those are completely streaming services.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they get the original composer for Gears of War back for 5. Don't remember a single track from 4.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I really hope they get the original composer for Gears of War back for 5. Don't remember a single track from 4.
Come on man

Ramin Djawadi is a great composer, also, he is already hired to make Gears 5 soundtrack, Rod Fergusson said that on twitter.

EDIT:Hopefully he can go all crazy for Gears 5 and create something like his best work to date.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Switching platforms will be as easy as going from Spotify to Amazon Music in a few years.
If we cannot even get something as simple as cross-service chat in 2018 (due to commercial reasons, not technical limitations), I doubt things will be that simple. To use your example, I need to use an external service to move my playlists from one music service to the other, and this process isn't free of errors (wrong song matched or no available match).

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I'm guessing Crackdown 3 previews should start hitting next week or so since Stateb and team said they were visiting San Fran with the game. Can't wait for it

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Come on man

Ramin Djawadi is a great composer, also, he is already hired to make Gears 5 soundtrack, Rod Fergusson said that on twitter.

EDIT:Hopefully he can go all crazy for Gears 5 and create something like his best work to date.

He's a step down from Steve Jablonsky all the same. His themes aren't strong. Nothing in Gears 4 is comparable to Armored Prayer or Hope Run's Deep. And that's not even really a credit to Jablonsky considering all his stuff sounds the same in the same sense that James Horner's stuff does.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
He's a step down from Steve Jablonsky all the same. His themes aren't strong. Nothing in Gears 4 is comparable to Armored Prayer or Hope Run's Deep. And that's not even really a credit to Jablonsky considering all his stuff sounds the same in the same sense that James Horner's stuff does.
I don't know, I think 'In and Out' is one of the most recognizable songs in the series IMO.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017

I already wrote it in another thread, but last year MS actually closed Xbox divisions in a few Eastern EU countries, changed currency to USD and offloaded tech support on 3rd parties. I'm more than sure they'll double down on the strong markets instead of going wider. Playing for your strengths is a good tactic. I expect something like the Xbox One launch, not in terms how bad it went but how it was only in 13 countries and later they rolled out in other markets.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I already wrote it in another thread, but last year MS actually closed Xbox divisions in a few Eastern EU countries, changed currency to USD and offloaded tech support on 3rd parties. I'm more than sure they'll double down on the strong markets instead of going wider. Playing for your strengths is a good tactic. I expect something like the Xbox One launch, not in terms how bad it went but how it was only in 13 countries and later they rolled out in other markets.

Short term. Yes. That's smart. Especially when rolling out new services. Long term I'd expect them to strategically widen. That's another reason why everything Klobrille says about them only looking for studios in their core regions right now makes sense.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I think for Scarlett games it won't be needed, as its more than likely they'll have a PC version, but that might help bring OG Xbox, 360 and One games to PC

Well, if there's a universal truth is that sex sells.
After that nobody could say they haven't tried everything hahaha

https://translate.google.ca/transla...tende-transformar-os-pcs-em-xbox/&prev=search

Is this what Game Core is? I mean if this is true I wonder when this is going to happen sometimes this year or next year hopefully it's this year.

https://tech4gamers.com/microsoft-xbox-one-user-interface-in-windows-10/
I mean

The result of these important changes (which are coming since we know that the console is based on the x86 architecture) will take us to a world where Xbox One X can receive additional devices such as mouse and keyboard without the need for dedicated applications, since basically console will have a Windows 10 very similar to that of our computers, which will be responsible for installing the corresponding drivers, and on the other hand, will dramatically expand the Xbox Play Anywhere program, removing the current limitations and allowing 100% of the console catalog to be available for computers.

I mean if this is true then maybe Microsoft will actually be relevant in the PC Gaming Market outside of just providing the operating system assuming MS doesn't fuck it up.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
Customizable weapons, 20x larger campaign maps, much longer campaign, more dynamic and various environments, brand new Horde, and different PvP experience.

Gears 5 will blow minds? Yep, I believe.

Edit: wording.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Customizable weapons, 20x larger maps, much longer campaign, more dynamic and various environments, total new Horde, and different PvP experience.

Man, a different PvP experience sounds like it's going to cause some backlash in the hardcore Gears community. This is the same fanbase that complained when the Sawed Off and Retro Lancer were introduced to counteract the Gnasher. I hope they know what they're doing, the Gears community is a fickle and ungrateful one.

hmqgg Will Gears 5 have split-screen coop in campaign?

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
Man, a different PvP experience sounds like it's going to cause some backlash in the hardcore Gears community. This is the same fanbase that complained when the Sawed Off and Retro Lancer were introduced to counteract the Gnasher. I hope they know what they're doing, the Gears community is a fickle and ungrateful one.

hmqgg Will Gears 5 have split-screen coop in campaign?

I think they have answered.
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/10/gear-war-5-release-date-trailer/

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Diverse and more dynamic environments sounds amazing.

More monsters and creatures as well, Gears could have the best monster design in gaming now that certain cuts have been made in Resident Evil

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Honestly I haven't bought a single disc ever since X1 launched.

Discs? In 2019? Hello?

I bought my first few games for the XB1 on disc. About six or seven titles. After that, and close to 300 games later they've all been digital.

I'm still hyped for Project xCloud. I can't wait to see it in action and take my gaming on the go with it.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Customizable weapons, 20x larger campaign maps, much longer campaign, more dynamic and various environments, brand new Horde, and different PvP experience.

Edit: wording.

Any info you can give about other MS exclusives being made?

Would love to know who is on Perfect Dark

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Come on man

Djawadi created a theme so iconic it stands next to Harry Potter and Star Wars in Game of Thrones. His Westworld theme is also pretty baller. Gears has never been a series with particularly noteworthy music. I hope he goes crazy and creates something mesmerizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.