• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather see them use a different name or bring back an old IP. Instead of Forza Street, why not reboot PGR?

The issue is that many write off Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon as one and the same, much in the same way that many write off the Call of Duty series for the same thing. The Xbox is already being criticized as being just Halo, Gears and Forza, why add more fuel to the fire?
I suppose they could rename it with a form of a soft reboot next gen or something idk

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he may be referring to the fact there's been a Forza game every year since 2011. We're getting into the 4th iteration of a spin off franchise that only started in 2012. May have missed the mark on my assumption though.
If that's what he meant I guess.

I would personally agree if it was a yearly thing with Horizon or Motorsport. 2 forzas a year is a lot, keeping it every other year tho makes every game feel new tho. It's like at just the right moment where i start feeling "I wish I could play a new motorsport/horizon."

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed Remedy is even still in business. Their games don't really do well and they literally take 6 years to make. (All the more impressive given their games are usually 6 hours long.) Must have a pretty small team because, on paper, that's a recipe that has doomed many a developer in the post-PS2 era.
I enjoyed quantum break but I agree. That game took them forever.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly his point. Each new Call of Duty sub-series is a dramatically different game (Infinite Warfare is nothing like Call of Duty: WWII), but since the multiplayer stays more or less the same, people ignore that.
I get what you mean but multiplayer is why people but CoD though so of course they would ignore the story when talking about the games in general speak, usually they would specifically point out the campaign if referring to that (like how people specifically point out GTA Online and not just a blanket "GTA" which usually refers to the story mode) and I don't think anyone would argue that the campaigns are the same. I don't really think there's anything wrong with that tbh. It's the same with Tomb Raider/Uncharted just swapped MP for SP.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a real shame if Ms never work with Remedy again, they were the perfect studio for Ms to use when developing games to gamepass.

The problem is that when their next game would release Gamepass could not even be a thing anymore. Remedy takes ages to develop their games and probably costs a lot.
I love their games, but I hope the new strategy they took works better for them.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So, let's say the next Forza Horizon is

A. Set in Japan, meaning a large focus on roads ala FH1, rather than wide open planes, ala 2 or 3.
B. Created in a new engine with new things people will supposedly like.

Do you think we may get a 60fps Forza Horizon game on Xbox finally? Heck, even the problem of, "well then they could never go to wide open worlds again without going back to 30" is solved, because it would likely be the last Foza Horizon on Xbox One. Then, with the Xbox 2 likely having a far better CPU and handling a visually similar game in a wide open setting, they could continue to have 60 fps.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

A. Set in Japan, meaning a large focus on roads ala FH1, rather than wide open planes, ala 2 or 3.

Do you think we may get a 60fps Forza Horizon game on Xbox finally? Heck, even the problem of, "well then they could never go to wide open worlds again without going back to 30" is solved, because it would likely be the last Foza Horizon on Xbox One. Then, with the Xbox 2 likely having a far better CPU and handling a visually similar game in a wide open setting, they could continue to have 60 fps.
Frankly, no. I'm pretty sure they'll stick with 30 and crank the res and FX as high as they can. They've managed a really responsive 30fps, and overall lacking 60 doesn't seem to be costing the series much. It'd be a nice upgrade, don't get me wrong, but at this point with the constraints they've got I'm pretty sure they'll go for pretty screenshots and save the FPS bump for the Xbox 2 or whatever they call it.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
ForzaStorm, using assets from Horizon with great destruction, the Colorado setting, tons of mud and deforming roads, customization for cars. Oh I would be so happy.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Frankly, no. I'm pretty sure they'll stick with 30 and crank the res and FX as high as they can. They've managed a really responsive 30fps, and overall lacking 60 doesn't seem to be costing the series much. It'd be a nice upgrade, don't get me wrong, but at this point with the constraints they've got I'm pretty sure they'll go for pretty screenshots and save the FPS bump for the Xbox 2 or whatever they call it.
They're going to push for better graphics and higher resolution so it will stay 30fps. It's either going to be higher than 4K resolution or it's going to stay native 4K but crank up the graphics settings to Ultra PC settings on the next Xbox (instead of Medium/High)

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I personally would prefer 30 while cranking that puppy to the absolute max. Im curious what they would do tho if its in Japan and the focus is on roads, Horizon has been really about fun open nonsense. They could maybe do like a Tokyo Drift game I suppose with some really crazy ideas. Car Sumo :O.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
They're going to push for better graphics and higher resolution so it will stay 30fps. It's either going to be higher than 4K resolution or it's going to stay native 4K but crank up the graphics settings to Ultra PC settings on the next Xbox (instead of Medium/High)

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I prefer Horizon this way. As much as I love the 60fps smoothness of Motorsport, the overall graphic presentation of Horizon from the cars to the environments, plus the 4xMSAA is just too good and the next Xbox will and should continue this.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just hope someday I get Halo like that ;
DTfiPkCVoAAr04O

MS should have made the second Halo installment like this and not a Strategy game.

Halo universe is just to big and fascinating to be trapped into one story.

Last edited:

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
ODST Battlegrounds

Instead of jumping from a plane you orbital insert in one of their drop pods.
Call the whole thing a training exercise to keep it in canon.

Jan 4, 2018
So HALO has a real-time strategy spin off, what other franchises (aside from a new PGR or a Forza PGR-style, I get it) would you like to see?
For Gears and Halo I think it'll be cool if they made side-stories in different kinds of games like Telltale's games for example, giving the spotlight to narrative and characters (though not with Telltale's current engine, that won't make the cut) and it could also be made episodic and put in Game Pass.
Also, seeing as it's already a cover-based shooter, Gears would be a great setting for a turn-based strategy game (thinking XCOM).
Would that interest people in your opinion?

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
GeneraciónXbox (Spanish media outlet) is reporting that something related to Mechwarrior might coming to Xbox One, based on a job opening at Piranha Games (mentions F2P, so it could be MW Online coming to Xbox)

It could be what Klobrille saw on the Xbox API.

pc-o-consolas.png

I think Microsoft might be looking to bring Mechwarrior to Xbox, since they own the IP and Piranha Games have the license. Could be Mechwarrior Online or the next instalment in the franchise.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
GeneraciónXbox (Spanish media outlet) is reporting that something related to Mechwarrior might coming to Xbox One, based on a job opening at Piranha Games (mentions F2P, so it could be MW Online coming to Xbox)

pc-o-consolas.png

I think Microsoft might be looking to bring Mechwarrior to Xbox, since they own the IP and Piranha Games have the license. Could be Mechwarrior Online or the next instalment in the franchise.

Sounds about right.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I was looking at Splash Damage's careers page, and they're recruiting a lot of people to work on the Gears of War franchise.

In Gears 4, they were only responsible for multiplayer if I'm not mistaken, but here they're looking for a cinematic lead as well as a storyboarder.

Also, there is a game designer position for the Gears of War franchise : https://careers.splashdamage.com/job/923294?gh_jid=923294
Which says "Potentially you will be required to create the overall high-level design for an entire game of small scope."

They say "an entire game" and "small scope", doesn't sound like a Gears 5, and I don't think it'd be a remake too.

Doesn't mean much, but hey.

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
P7 is multiplatform and will be published by 505 games this one seems to be online related, the other one is that they're working on the single player of the Korean fps Crossfire 2.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So HALO has a real-time strategy spin off, what other franchises (aside from a new PGR or a Forza PGR-style, I get it) would you like to see?
For Gears and Halo I think it'll be cool if they made side-stories in different kinds of games like Telltale's games for example, giving the spotlight to narrative and characters (though not with Telltale's current engine, that won't make the cut) and it could also be made episodic and put in Game Pass.
Also, seeing as it's already a cover-based shooter, Gears would be a great setting for a turn-based strategy game (thinking XCOM).

I'd like a halo FPS with moment to moment gameplay that played more like the old games. A new "ODST meets Mass Effect" game would be a good route to take.

The players would lead an Oni spec-ops team travelling around the galaxy, meddling in the affairs of ex-coventent and insurrectionist factions.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a Hunt The Truth type of game from Halo. You play as a rogue ONI operative and you get involved in some massive cover up as your zipping across the universe trying to find answers as well as keeping out of the way of the real bad guys.

The possibilitis of where else you can take the Halo franchise is limitless.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I was looking at Splash Damage's careers page, and they're recruiting a lot of people to work on the Gears of War franchise.

In Gears 4, they were only responsible for multiplayer if I'm not mistaken, but here they're looking for a cinematic lead as well as a storyboarder.

Also, there is a game designer position for the Gears of War franchise : https://careers.splashdamage.com/job/923294?gh_jid=923294
Which says "Potentially you will be required to create the overall high-level design for an entire game of small scope."

They say "an entire game" and "small scope", doesn't sound like a Gears 5, and I don't think it'd be a remake too.

Nice find. I don't think it's Gow 2 Ultimate, though, because they wouldn't need a level designer for that I guess.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

At one point they were hiring for vehicles in multiplayer, don't know if it's still up though.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

pc-o-consolas.png

If Microsoft owns IP then why is MechWarrior 5 coming to PS4 and why isn't it a Microsoft Studios game?

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft owns IP then why is MechWarrior 5 coming to PS4?
I've no clue about MW5 or even the series to be honest, but from a quick googling and twitter dig:

Microsoft owned the IP. They either licensed or sold it to Smith & Tinker. (I can't quite figure that part out.) Smith & Tinker then sold the rights to Piranha Games. What I don't fully understand is whether Microsoft still have some control over the IP, or whether they fully sold it to S&T. It would be an odd scenario where Company A licensed an IP to Company B who then sold their license to Company C, but stranger things have happened.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Even if the game is set in Japan, I doubt that they would just drop the cross country aspects of the game, that's become a large part of the series' identity. You have to remember that Forza Horizon games are set in fantasy environments that are based on real locations, they don't have to be geographically accurate.

Well, speaking of Halo, there's so much that they could be doing. A space exploration action RPG would be an obvious thing, especially now that Mass Effect is out of the picture. What I'd love to see is an action adventure game that takes some cues from the Hunt the Truth web series. Some investigation, some stealth, taking photos, collecting evidence, maybe hints of Westwood's Blade Runner... A lot could be done with that concept.

Last gen there were some rumors about a character action game taking place in the Killer Instinct universe, I think that could work. A Crimson Dragon RPG is another obvious choice, Futatsugi already said he'd like to make one. ReCore could be used for a number of things, from tycoon games, to action strategy romps resembling Pikmin.

It's possible, but I doubt it. If I'm remembering correctly, in a recent Unfiltered episode Mitch Gitelman said that PC Shadowrun games (or was it BattleTech?) are not coming to Xbox because their licenses don't cover consoles. So I guess that would also be true for MechWarrior, although I suppose it could happen if Microsoft was publishing. But again, MechAssault would make more sense, it's a better fit for consoles, and probably has more mass appeal.

I want a Hunt The Truth type of game from Halo. You play as a rogue ONI operative and you get involved in some massive cover up as your zipping across the universe trying to find answers as well as keeping out of the way of the real bad guys.

The possibilitis of where else you can take the Halo franchise is limitless.

pHb82xtBPfqEg.gif

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

mikefizzled

Jan 8, 2018
Can't find the footage but back when Gears was huge last gen, there existed a pitch for a game just like that. It did look interesting, but not that good (because it was a prototype).

EDIT: Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP_EwrazbF4
I was torn when this leaked. I like the idea of Microsoft taking franchises in new directions but it didn't feel right. Just for a joke, I'd like to see them release a 1st person Gears of War game and a 3rd person Halo game.
I love the idea of having to kick tickers in first person as well as chainsaw battles.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I was torn when this leaked. I like the idea of Microsoft taking franchises in new directions but it didn't feel right. Just for a joke, I'd like to see them release a 1st person Gears of War game and a 3rd person Halo game.
I love the idea of having to kick tickers in first person as well as chainsaw battles.

I always dreamt of a Mass Effect-ish game based in Halo universe. Like, it's so obvious....

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to podcast Unlocked and is it true that Black Tusk/Coalition was working on a Halo game ?

Jan 4, 2018
Can't find the footage but back when Gears was huge last gen, there existed a pitch for a game just like that. It did look interesting, but not that good (because it was a prototype).

EDIT: Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP_EwrazbF4
It looked cool indeed. It's a shame it wasn't given the go ahead. Maybe one day...
I'd like to see more TBS games on console, it works way better for the format than real-time even if you make controls that "are not bad for a console RTS"

mikefizzled

Jan 8, 2018
I was listening to podcast Unlocked and is it true that Black Tusk/Coalition was working on a Halo game ?

I think the common line is that they were working on a new AAA IP to rival Halo.

Leaks later reported that the game was called Shangheist and that the Black Tusk studio trailer was in fact the concept for the game. I don;t think anything has ever been confirmed though. I think Phil has previously said that they weren't working on a game were instead preparing the technology needed for a new AAA game.

Jan 4, 2018
Even if the game is set in Japan, I doubt that they would just drop the cross country aspects of the game, that's become a large part of the series' identity. You have to remember that Forza Horizon games are set in fantasy environments that are based on real locations, they don't have to be geographically accurate.

Well, speaking of Halo, there's so much that they could be doing. A space exploration action RPG would be an obvious thing, especially now that Mass Effect is out of the picture. What I'd love to see is an action adventure game that takes some cues from the Hunt the Truth web series. Some investigation, some stealth, taking photos, collecting evidence, maybe hints of Westwood's Blade Runner... A lot could be done with that concept.

Last gen there were some rumors about a character action game taking place in the Killer Instinct universe, I think that could work. A Crimson Dragon RPG is another obvious choice, Futatsugi already said he'd like to make one. ReCore could be used for a number of things, from tycoon games, to action strategy romps resembling Pikmin.

It's possible, but I doubt it. If I'm remembering correctly, in a recent Unfiltered episode Mitch Gitelman said that PC Shadowrun games (or was it BattleTech?) are not coming to Xbox because their licenses don't cover consoles. So I guess that would also be true for MechWarrior, although I suppose it could happen if Microsoft was publishing. But again, MechAssault would make more sense, it's a better fit for consoles, and probably has more mass appeal.

pHb82xtBPfqEg.gif
Crimson Dragoon RPG yes please!
Also, I hadn't played yet ReCore (I own it but there's more games than time!) and I was surprised when you said you can make a tycoon game. Since it's a genre I like a lot that certainly sounded interesting. Care to elaborate what makes you think it'll make a good tycoon game/what would be the game about?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Ralph Fulton on future development (FH4):

Oh I can't wait to see how good it's going to look especially if it's japan, I can imagine going from driving up old roads up mountains in the jungle covered in fog to a neon purple Tokyo.

With all the first parties using X as the lead development platform I can't wait to see what the games will look like, 343 is the one I really want to see because Halo 4 is absurdly good looking. With 5 it felt like they were held back by three things, the hardware, their performance targets and development trouble. So with 6 I'm hoping we will see them pull their weight, the advances in photogrametry since then should definitely help.
Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.