• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
What the hell is going with Microsoft studios ? 4 years of Xbox One and just 1 new Halo and 1 new Gears ? That's unacceptable ! We had 4 Halo and 4 Gears on 360 !

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
For what it's worth, I mentioned having played Sea of Thieves to my gamer friend that doesn't really keep up with the news like we do, but is still interested in releases like The Division or Wolfenstein (he's put hundreds of hours into Ark and Rust for example) and he was quite excited for the game. He told me he'd seen the E3 trailer and the sharks, the storms and the missions impressed him, too.

For some reason that type of showing really clicks with that sort of crowd, more than any release date trailer or the progression video. I believe that's why GR Wildlands sold that well among the demographic it was targeting: strong initial showing+open beta is a killer combo that ubisoft has been putting into practice.
Now I need Rare to get survival mechanics into SoT just so I can completely lure my buddy into the game lol.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
What the hell is going with Microsoft studios ? 4 years of Xbox One and just 1 new Halo and 1 new Gears ? That's unacceptable ! We had 4 Halo and 4 Gears on 360 !

Video games are more expensive and takes longer to make than ever, basically. The age of trilogies on a single platform seems basically done.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are NOT playing it alone... you are forced to play ONLINE against other people... some people should really stop making excuses for Sea of Thieves...

And some people should stop proclaiming the genre of a game as being a negative, SoT is a shared world adventure game. If you want a game with a single player pirate campaign then this isn't for you.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Video games are more expensive and takes longer to make than ever, basically. The age of trilogies on a single platform seems basically done.

It's also bad planning. They should have had a new Halo or Gears at launch. Even for the Xbox One X, nothing... Look the difference with Nintendo and the Switch, Mario and Zelda the first year.

Microsoft should have several teams developing those games imo.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing about the studio acquisition is how we probably would have heard murmurs if it was happening. That isn't to say it can't be happening, of course, but yeah.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

The generation was 8 years long but there is some truth in here. We haven't even gotten an announcement for the second chapter of these games on Xbox One and it looks like they might both be at least another year out. A lot had to come together to make that so, though. Epic not developing the Gears games for One, selling the IP, MS reappropriating a studio to make Gears games, Gears 1 remake. Halo changing hands last gen still being felt, MCC issues for 343i. STILL tho...

Oct 25, 2017
The generation was 8 years long but there is some truth in here. We haven't even gotten an announcement for the second chapter of these games on Xbox One and it looks like they might both be at least another year out. A lot had to come together to make that so, though. Epic not developing the Gears games for One, selling the IP, MS reappropriating a studio to make Gears games, Gears 1 remake. Halo changing hands last gen still being felt, MCC issues for 343i. STILL tho...
We're seeing that across the industry as well. Fewer AAA games and sequels, but more GaaS integration to make the most out of them.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

wat? we got new ip's, reboots, remasters and graphical remakes... all of this consume lots of time obviously and the narrative on game comunity actually is only one "we need more new ips".

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
We're seeing that across the industry as well. Fewer AAA games and sequels, but more GaaS integration to make the most out of them.

There is definitely some of that. I don't think it constitutes the entirety of this, though. What successful AAA game series are you thinking of that hasn't had more than 1 iteration in 4 years, I guess, is my question. That doesn't even have a sequel announced. GTA?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox 360-era "Xbox" is long gone, I was hoping putting Phil in charge would change things but it certainly hasn't. He's done some decent things for hardware and the OS, but that's not enough. Beyond Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break we got jack shit, and Sea of Thieves is too little too late. Sony's firing on all cylinders, they've got multiple games for each genre, offering variety for different tastes.
Xbox sees the console as a deposit machine for GTA/Madden/Call of Duty microtransactions and engagement, and reworking their core franchises, what shitty little left of them, so they can stuff loot boxes and even more engagement hooks is horrible. It's despicable what they've done to Forza Motorsport. Replacing car customization with fucking mods just so they can sell them to you, and car classes behind this garbage loot box characterization with "legendary" and "rare" and fucking "uncommon".
It makes it easier for me to drop the brand as soon as next generation starts.

Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely some of that. I don't think it constitutes the entirety of this, though. What successful AAA game series are you thinking of that hasn't had more than 1 iteration in 4 years, I guess, is my question. That doesn't even have a sequel announced. GTA?
Oh, I didn't have anything in particular in mind. I was just adding some more broad context to the discussion.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Gears of War IP was purchased in 2014,
Within 2+ years, Gears of War 4 came out in 2016.
There's nothing weird or off about Gear's development timeline.

Between Halo 4 and Halo 5 ( 2012 & 2015 ) is a 3-year dev cycle.
Mainline Halo games are at least 3 years apart of each other, and we're only in year 2.

Games take time.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are NOT playing it alone... you are forced to play ONLINE against other people... some people should really stop making excuses for Sea of Thieves...

"Making excuses"? What the hell are you talking about?

If people should stop doing anything it's complaining weirdly about SoT like they're making a sequel that's completely different to its previous entry - because that's what it sounds like: like you've been betrayed somehow!

Stop making up reasons to be angry about it, grow up and go concentrate on something else. This is not the game for you.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
WiiU only had a single zelda game and it was hamfisted on the switch lineup anyway

One X is not a new console.

Yes the One X is a new console. It was advertised as such - "the most powerful console ever" - it's 4 times more powerful than the Xbox One, so if it's not a new console what is it...

I'm talking sbout Microsoft strategy, not Nintendo's one. I think enough was said about the Wii U. Nintendo learned their lessons and now they're killing with the Switch and an incredible first party line up. Something Microsoft could definitely learn from...

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Everytime someone has something bad to say about the game someone will try to make some excuses... When someone asks if there is singleplayer and you are saying ""you can sail alone" its just a bs excuse for just not outright saying that there is no singleplayer campaign etc
Same for the tiresome "its an alpha11!!" excuse...
Shit will go on next time when the "beta" aka Demo v2 will roll around.

"Making excuses"? What the hell are you talking about?

If people should stop doing anything it's complaining weirdly about SoT like they're making a sequel that's completely different to its previous entry - because that's what it sounds like: like you've been betrayed somehow!

Stop making up reasons to be angry about it, grow up and go concentrate on something else. This is not the game for you.
Im not angry about anything. But people should really keep their expectations in check for SoT. I was excited for the game but Rare dropped the ball on a lot of decisions and mechanics.
I can already see the complains come March when the game lacks Content and Endgame.

But enough with the offtopic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take this with a pinch of salt but Xbox On, pretty much the official Xbox UK channel posted their top fifteen anticipated games of 2018 and they put Ori and the Will of the Wisps on the list.

Thought it would a 2019 release, late late release next year maybe?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they risk putting Ori out after September, so it's either between June & September or It's Q1 next year. Though Ori did sell really well, probably around 3 million sales so maybe they will? I think it's unwise but I would understand their thinking.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Crackdown 3 looked much better in that video than i remembered. Really worried about this game considering the community manager is quite quiet on it and the social media pages haven't updated us in quite a while.

Other than that, 2018 already looks like a better year for Xbox. I do hope Square/Bandai Namco continue to care about the Xbox One and maybe we might see Nier, Hellblade or Ni No Kuni port.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ori isnt gonna be 2018. They didnt even bother to give a year at the end of the announcement yet alone a more specific date

Crackdown 3 looked much better in that video than i remembered. Really worried about this game considering the community manager is quite quiet on it and the social media pages haven't updated us in quite a while.

Other than that, 2018 already looks like a better year for Xbox. I do hope Square/Bandai Namco continue to care about the Xbox One and maybe we might see Nier, Hellblade or Ni No Kuni port.

Should watch this stuff from E3. Was already so much better from what they showed at the conference.

Last edited:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Ori is 2018. If we take Phil at his word and assume that he is only announcing things closer to the release date, it has to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime someone has something bad to say about the game someone will try to make some excuses... When someone asks if there is singleplayer and you are saying ""you can sail alone" its just a bs excuse for just not outright saying that there is no singleplayer campaign etc
Same for the tiresome "its an alpha11!!" excuse...
Shit will go on next time when the "beta" aka Demo v2 will roll around.

Im not angry about anything. But people should really keep their expectations in check for SoT. I was excited for the game but Rare dropped the ball on a lot of decisions and mechanics.
I can already see the complains come March when the game lacks Content and Endgame.

But enough with the offtopic.

I'm not saying your wrong and I'm def keeping my expectations in check in regards to SoT (I'll also be picking up the game to support Rare and it's actually something different)...however until the game is fully released and we get more info in the coming months of the game up until release, anything can happen. You could be right or you could be wrong.

Full disclosure, I haven't played anything of the game.

In regards to what you said about the SP stuff, that I can agree on and some people will just have to accept that their aint no SP campaign. It's a shared world, so you'll always have others around, it's not everyone cup of tea.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Thought it would a 2019 release, late late release next year maybe?
I assumed it would be an Aug-Oct '18 release window judging by how long it's been since Blind Forest released. Smaller scale projects from indie devs tend to be a little more cagey about release dates (see Below and Cuphead) so it's hard to know until we get an info/gameplay blowout.
The game was getting pretty negative feedback for it's graphics (though gameplay impressions are positive). I can't help but wonder if the delay was to add more graphical polish and to re-jigger their marketing strategy so people don't have a negative impression of the game before reviews even hit.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
The game was getting pretty negative feedback for it's graphics (though gameplay impressions are positive). I can't help but wonder if the delay was to add more graphical polish and to re-jigger their marketing strategy so people don't have a negative impression of the game before reviews even hit.

Yeah, it definitely needed more polish back then and hopefully they've come at a point where the game is more visually attractive. I do hope that's the reason why they are very quiet on this game.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Thomas or someone else from moon/ms state otherwise I see no reason to think Ori wasn't originally intended for 2018 when they announced it. Whether it's been delayed since then, it might've been but can't see them announcing it 2 years in advance

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm not saying your wrong and I'm def keeping my expectations in check in regards to SoT (I'll also be picking up the game to support Rare and it's actually something different)...however until the game is fully released and we get more info in the coming months of the game up until release, anything can happen. You could be right or you could be wrong.

Full disclosure, I haven't played anything of the game.

In regards to what you said about the SP stuff, that I can agree on and some people will just have to accept that their aint no SP campaign. It's a shared world, so you'll always have others around, it's not everyone cup of tea.
Thank you. Finally someone not offended by my opinion. Im fine when folks are excited for it. But i simply just cant agree with some of the hype this game gets after playing it for over a year. Thats why i will always show up with some criticism. Im not hating and im not angry.

And i agree there could be more to this game. But i start to doubt it. Its now 2 and a half months away. They still havent convinced me that there is more. The Beta will start this month so yeah it will be interesting if anything has changed or not...

All MS needs to do is to show that cloud tech stuff for the MP.
I wonder if that is even happening anymore. They went really silent after E3 :/

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Finally someone not offended by my opinion. Im fine when folks are excited for it. But i simply just cant agree with some of the hype this game gets after playing it for over a year. Thats why i will always show up with some criticism. Im not hating and im not angry.

And i agree there could be more to this game. But i start to doubt it. Its now 2 and a half months away. They still havent convinced me that there is more. The Beta will start this month so yeah it will be interesting if anything has changed or not...

I wonder if that is even happening anymore. They went really silent after E3 :/
The reason people give you shit is that you don't say stuff like "I don't like the look of it, it's not for me." You make broad, sweeping, deeply obnoxious generalizations and definitive statements, while doing your damnedest to dismiss anyone who disagrees with you. You don't get to do the "finally, someone unoffended by my opinion" schtick because your post being quoted reeks of defensiveness. How dare people point out that a game in a closed alpha has alpha levels of content and polish! The nerve!

And they just cited that it's still in in that Xbox UK video.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
MS is so quiet despite some big games from them suppose to come out before E3. Hope they have some plans to get positive media going on.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Here's my sensible-ish wish list for Microsoft this year:

• To be able to reveal at least one big new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghosts of Tsushima or Death Stranding.
  • To actually have a decent E3. This is honestly their last chance (for me) after two and a bit years of having to endure either 'Scorpio' or 'wait until E3... next year!' on NeoGAF, the latter of which has now seemingly found its way over here.
  • Although my expectations for Sea of Thieves is not quite as enthusiastic as some of the folks in this thread, I do hope it does well, and that it allows Rare to pursue and create some more new games, be it another new IP or a franchise from their old catalogue.
  • For Phil Spencer to keep quiet for a change. Do we hear Shuhei Yoshida or whoever is Nintendos' equivalent spouting half of the stuff Phil says? No, we don't, and for good reason too! Keeping quiet is sometimes the best way to go about things.
  • Given waning sales in the US, and not 'winning' the NPD in their strongest territory for a shy over fourteen months, perhaps they should continue with their $199 500GB Forza Horizon 3 bundle, if only to give them a nice little uptick in sales for the first couple of months this year.
  • I don't mind seeing Halo 6 this year, but good grief, please make sure it is a heck of a lot better than having to fight the Guardians two too many times in Halo 5. Apart from Sanghelios, the campaign in the most recent Halo is really underwhelming.
  • After eighteen long months of willy waving over the Xbox One X prior to release, they can finally focus exclusively on software. There's no excuse for doing so this year.

And that's about it!

More software please, and less chatter from Phil and (about) their hardware.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox sees the console as a deposit machine for GTA/Madden/Call of Duty microtransactions and engagement, and reworking their core franchises, what shitty little left of them, so they can stuff loot boxes and even more engagement hooks is horrible. It's despicable what they've done to Forza Motorsport. Replacing car customization with fucking mods just so they can sell them to you, and car classes behind this garbage loot box characterization with "legendary" and "rare" and fucking "uncommon".
It makes it easier for me to drop the brand as soon as next generation starts.

Lmao what the fuck is this post.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is even less likely than one of Rare's IP's from their back catalogue making a return. And that's saying something lol.
I still believe Battletoads is coming as I found some heavy hints for that in an XBL database leak two years ago if anyone remembers that. Everything from that went true - even the new AoE titles. Obviously could be dead or whatever though. Can't really remember anymore though - also can't find my Reddit post about it anymore, sorry.

Edit
Found it. Sadly I can't remember anymore why I made the connection to Rare. Probably the dev tags were filled with Rare as the developer. This also doesn't need to mean anything though.

That reminds me ... I should check the API again the next days to see if they still give access to the XBL datacentres. Haven't done that for a while lol

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I still believe Battletoads is coming as I found some heavy hints for that in an XBL database leak two years ago if anyone remembers that. Everything from that went true - even the new AoE titles. Obviously could be dead or whatever though. Can't really remember anymore though - also can't find my Reddit post about it anymore, sorry.

Edit
Found it. Sadly I can't remember anymore why I made the connection to Rare. Probably the dev tags were filled with Rare as the developer. This also doesn't need to mean anything though.

That reminds me ... I should check the API again the next days to see if they still give access to the XBL datacentres. Haven't done that for a while lol

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Battletoads anymore. There's been rumors that a new one is in the works for a few years now, but absolutely nothing has come of it besides some cameos and guest appearances and stuff. There was even an insider on GAF (a seemingly credible one, I might add) who claimed Rare was working on it.

But now people are speculating it's been cancelled or that it's never actually existed, so who knows? Unless this is the project being worked on by Rare's second team, I doubt it exists. And I doubt they're working on it as I think they're probably working on a new IP.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really dont see why we need a new Battletoads to be fair. Dont see it having any big impact also.
Unless its a cheap side project from Rare.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really dont see why we need a new Battletoads to be fair. Dont see it having any big impact also.
Unless its a cheap side project from Rare.
Xbox needs more fan-service games without a doubt. This would be a great start at least.

They need to acknowledge they have so many great IPs and worlds sitting on for way too many years now. It's insane and stupid they aren't doing anything with all those impactful trademarks they own.

A game like Banjo-Kazooie could be huge for the whole brand and bring a completely new demographic into the ecosystem if done right. They simply don't have the balls for whatever reasons.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I remember after E3 2016, the only two leaks that weren't true were an Ori sequel (Link: http://bit.ly/2A659wx) and the battletoads game (API). Ori 2 ended up happening a year later and my guess would be that there is going to be a new 3d Battletoads game.

I think VP Spencer will announce at least 5 new studios this E3.

They did open one mixed reality studio, but i'm not sure if it was gaming-related at all. Microsoft wants to do more gaming stuff internally, but doesn't partnerships like Cd3/SoD2/Ori count as first party for Microsoft? Maybe with "more investment in first party" they just mean one or two new studios, but far more partnerships with other studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.