Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish we got a few more ARMS characters. That game has some of my favorite character designs in the entire medium of video games. Seriously, they are insanely good.

Min Min is a good start but I hope she's not the only one.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai will always prioritize the main character. And the fact he had to state that just reaffirms it. This ain't Marvel vs. Capcom.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can't be flexible in regards to main character status. For example, I'm sure he would go with Elma over Rook despite the latter being the player character, yet Elma is the one that makes cameos and is used to represent the game as a whole, so one could consider her the main character. Chrom is the opposite in that case, being the face of Awakening while Robin is just the player character, but the latter is unarguably a main character anyway.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not surprised there has been some weird ass defensiveness over Smash yet again not adding a dark skinned character. I remember in the Byleth thread there was a shitty fanboy who kept giving me bullshit defenses for why it had to be Byleth and not Claude. Probably in this thread anyway doing the same bullshit

At least Min Min isn't another white dude or another dude in general.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai will always prioritize the main character. And the fact he had to state that just reaffirms it. This ain't Marvel vs. Capcom.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can't be flexible in regards to main character status. For example, I'm sure he would go with Elma over Rook despite the latter being the player character, yet Elma is the one that makes cameos and is used to represent the game as a whole, so one could consider her the main character. Chrom is the opposite in that case, being the face of Awakening while Robin is just the player character, but the latter is unarguably a main character anyway.
I really hope Elma gets in next. I really want a new Xenoblade character, and while Rex + Pyra would also be nice, Elma would be very cool to see.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Min Min is The One and I'm glad to see her.

More importantly, it's a bad day for "but the rules" on character speculation. Someone add no spirits and main characters only to the chalkboard of made up fake fan rules that Sakurai doesn't care about.

On the contrary I'd argue that the fact that he felt the need to address why he didn't add the main character confirms that it is indeed considered as part of his personal selection criteria.

The no spirits thing was always dumb and at this point I think people are forgetting why the assumptions of "no spirits" or "no assist trophies" exist in the first place: because if Sakurai knew he was going to add X character in DLC, he wouldn't have bothered to make the former (though again, I don't think this applies to spirits because they're not nearly as much effort to create as an assist trophy). But I'm pretty sure the Wave 2 characters were not decided on before launch, making this whole idea useless. Though I do still think DLC spirits count as deconfirms because why would they create a list of spirits for a series if they knew they were gonna be adding a character later and on and have to create a second spirit list for that same series.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's crazy that they have to call Ryō Horikawa just to do noodle slurping.
Oh, I wanted to talk about this, actually!

Sakurai said that Captain Falcon hasn't gotten any new voice clips since Smash 64, but that's not actually true? From 64 -> Melee -> Brawl, his voice got re-dubbed. It was only after Brawl that he kept using the same ones.

Like, it's not even a sound quality issue; the voice clips all sound completely different from each other. Maybe they are multiple takes from the same recording session done for Smash 64 or something? I have no idea.

The only character that has retained the same voice clips since Smash 64 is Jigglypuff (and even that is debatable going from 64 -> Melee).

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Ignoring staff post, inappropriate commentary on representation
I don't even care if this gets reported

it should have been Twintelle. I understand that MinMin also represents a minority, but she's extremely white passing, just seems almost like a cop out way to include diversity in an already extremely white washed game. It's honestly embarrassing for them in 2020.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

More importantly, it's a bad day for "but the rules" on character speculation. Someone add no spirits and main characters only to the chalkboard of made up fake fan rules that Sakurai doesn't care about.

"No spirits" was super silly from the start; I've been saying as much and I'm glad it's finally officially dashed. Sakurai has had no compunction in turning assist trophies into playable characters, and you think he's going to lock himself out of 1000+ characters?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto can still (routinely) ruin Paper Mario too. Sometimes you need some fresh blood to mix things up.
Sure, but Miyamoto has actually made a lot of shitty decisions that justify not wanting him involved in games. Sakurai, tho? Saying that Sakurai "needs to go" because he doesn't have the same favorite character as you is just dumb.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

it should have been Twintelle. I understand that MinMin also represents a minority, but she's extremely white passing, just seems almost like a cop out way to include diversity in an already extremely white washed game. It's honestly embarrassing for them in 2020.
Including a Chinese character when anti-Chinese sentiment is at an all time high is a cop out?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
"No spirits" was super silly from the start; I've been saying as much and I'm glad it's finally officially dashed. Sakurai has had no compunction in turning assist trophies into playable characters, and you think he's going to lock himself out of 1000+ characters?

The only thing people should feel confident in deconfirming is in fp2 any character that gets a mii fighter costume like Heihachi or Vault Boy are very likely not going to show up later. Course I would never say never specially for Smash Bros on almost any character at this point.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Misango would have also been a good choice. There isn't any indigenous people in Smash either.

I don't think it is fair to call Min Min white washed though.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017

At this point you'd expect people to realize that the ONLY rule that Sakurai actually follows and gives a fuck about is "the character must be from a videogame". THE END. Anything else is fanfiction.

brb gonna tell every asian I know that they're white washed

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Including a Chinese character when anti-Chinese sentiment is at an all time high is a cop out?

I'm saying if inclusion was their goal (which it probably wasn't - which is as I said, embarrassing) then picking a character whom almost everyone would assume is white probably wasn't the most effective choice. I know nothing about Arms but even with the name MinMin I thought she was white. She's got the blonde hair to match. It's just weird when Twintelle is sitting right there

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they say this. This character speaks Mandarin voice lines, she has a Chinese character on her shirt which is clearly cut like a Shaolin martial arts uniform, she has an eastern-style Dragon for one arm and traditional Chinese cuisine as the other, her head is an upside-down bowl of Chinese wheat noodles, she runs a Chinese food shop, and every single frame of animation of her is her doing kung fu poses...

... that's the character we're saying looks white? I feel like we've gone back in time and are looking at a Street Fighter 2-style walking stereotype of China when I look at her. She's more Chinese than Mario is Italian.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best directors in videogame history needs to go because he likes X videogame character more than Y lmao
Sure, but Miyamoto has actually made a lot of shitty decisions that justify not wanting him involved in games. Sakurai, tho? Saying that Sakurai "needs to go" because he doesn't have the same favorite character as you is just dumb.
I thought it was extremely obvious I was joking. Nobody would seriously claim Sakurai needs to go because he likes Ninjara from ARMS....

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The only thing people should feel confident in deconfirming is in fp2 any character that gets a mii fighter costume like Heihachi or Vault Boy are very likely not going to show up later. Course I would never say never specially for Smash Bros on almost any character at this point.

Why would mii costumes be any sort of deconfirmation when we have (checks notes) Samus, Link, Captain Falcon, Chrom, Daisy, Erdrick, Fox, Inkling, Isabelle, King K. Rool, Luigi, Mario, Meta Knight, Peach, Zelda, Sheik and Wario costume pieces?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Why would mii costumes be any sort of deconfirmation when we have (checks notes) Samus, Link, Captain Falcon, Chrom, Daisy, Erdrick, Fox, Inkling, Isabelle, King K. Rool, Luigi, Mario, Meta Knight, Peach, Zelda, Sheik and Wario costume pieces?

This post from Smashboards says it better than I can.

caced43024794d4d0b46d3b1ce5db0b6.png

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Why would they include the Heihachi costume with Min Min if fighter pack 7 is a Tekken character, let alone Heihachi himself? Did they just have so many Tekken Mii fighter costumes that they couldn't fit them all after that presentation? Every other fighter has come simultaneously with the Mii fighters from their own series (e.g. we just got Ninjara) so what changed for Tekken?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Maybe hard deconfirm is too strong, very unlikely for FP2 is maybe a better way of putting it. As we saw yesterday Ninjara got a mii fighter costume alongside the reveal of an Arms fighter. If someone from Tekken or Fallout was planned for FP2 why wouldn't you hold back this mii fighter for that characters reveal? It's why I focused on "deconfirmed in FP2" with that comment.

Is it possible that the next FP2 character is Heihachi or another Tekken character? Sure I wouldn't 100% rule anything out until all of the FP characters are revealed. I wouldn't put money on it, and would say it's extremely unlikely at this point though. If a FP3 happens though that all goes out the window and everything should be viewed as a clean slate.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In this shot, we see the blue swirls around the dragon laser but it's coming from her noodle arm (right). Is this because it's an in-development screen and it's changed since? The video clearly shows the blue swirls only occurring on the laser from the left arm in its dragon form.

EbIHfJ4UMAA7JPM
Early development screenshot.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
In this shot, we see the blue swirls around the dragon laser but it's coming from her noodle arm (right). Is this because it's an in-development screen and it's changed since? The video clearly shows the blue swirls only occurring on the laser from the left arm in its dragon form.

EbIHfJ4UMAA7JPM

Early development screenshot.

If it works like it does in ARMS I think that's just normal gameplay where she's using a Smash attack. You don't have to have the dragon arm buff active to be able to fire a charged laser, you just have to charge up the ARM.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This is my concern as well. Aspiring game developers who have gotten used to the current continuous services / systems might find these things to be the new "normal".
Ehh, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The traditional console gaming industry is bigger than ever and the indie market has never been healthier. While there certainly are people who grow up playing mobile games and want to become mobile developers, there's also more people being exposed to all kinds of games than ever before and with easier access to the tools required to make games as well. I don't even envision the day where games like Hollow Knight and Outer WIlds and Cuphead and Shovel Knight and Spelunky and all the other wonderful titles stop getting made, no matter what happens to the overall industry.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I genuinely don't understand what people mean when they say this. This character speaks Mandarin voice lines, she has a Chinese character on her shirt which is clearly cut like a Shaolin martial arts uniform, she has an eastern-style Dragon for one arm and traditional Chinese cuisine as the other, her head is an upside-down bowl of Chinese wheat noodles, she runs a Chinese food shop, and every single frame of animation of her is her doing kung fu poses...

... that's the character we're saying looks white? I feel like we've gone back in time and are looking at a Street Fighter 2-style walking stereotype of China when I look at her. She's more Chinese than Mario is Italian.

I will admit that I erroneously felt like all of those things are already represented in smash bros, which in my opinion is a very Asian-centric game, but I will admit that I have to discern "Asian" does not equal "Chinese". If she is the first Chinese character in the game, good. I won't change my mind that Twintelle would have been the best choice. It's honestly shocking to me that the backlash has been relatively small for Smash Bros having no black representation.

a game with ZERO black characters out of a roster of almost 80 is no other word than PATHETIC. I Just don't believe that another fair skinned character with a blonde wig is a better choice than a black character in which there currently are none. Carry on

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
At this point, believing in a mythical set of rules and 'deconfirming' characters is flat earth tier nonsense.
Min Min is actually one of the few characters the Smash speculation community as a whole was pretty spot-on with (I wanna say the SmashEra OT here had a poll of likely characters with her handily taking it at 70-75% of the vote?) so maybe we're getting better lmao

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
A day before the announcement I had a hunch that Sakurai would put Ninjara in Smash. Got a reverse monkey paw with Naguki(?) having the last word and putting in Min Min.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
At this point you'd expect people to realize that the ONLY rule that Sakurai actually follows and gives a fuck about is "the character must be from a videogame". THE END. Anything else is fanfiction.

brb gonna tell every asian I know that they're white washed

brb gonna go tell every black person to not play the biggest fighting game of all time because it embarrassingly has ZERO representation for them LMAO

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I will admit that I erroneously felt like all of those things are already represented in smash bros, which in my opinion is a very Asian-centric game, but I will admit that I have to discern "Asian" does not equal "Chinese". If she is the first Chinese character in the game, good. I won't change my mind that Twintelle would have been the best choice. It's honestly shocking to me that the backlash has been relatively small for Smash Bros having no black representation.

a game with ZERO black characters out of a roster of almost 80 is no other word than PATHETIC. I Just don't believe that another fair skinned character with a blonde wig is a better choice than a black character in which there currently are none. Carry on
I'm definitely not defending the lack of black characters either, but Min Min definitely fills a niche as well that was not represented before.

For the record prior to yesterday here's a list of all the human characters in Smash that were neither White nor Japanese:
- Ganondorf
- Ice Climbers

And now that list has a third name on it, and she's a woman of color too. That's why people get frustrated when she's torn down as being basically white by people ostensibly arguing for more diversity. What the game really needs is more black people AND more non-Japanese Asians AND Latinos AND Pacific Islanders et cetera et cetera.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
brb gonna go tell every black person to not play the biggest fighting game of all time because it embarrassingly has ZERO representation for them LMAO
Fun fact: the same was true for Chinese people, until Min Min was announced.

Fuck them tho I guess lol

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Min Min is actually one of the few characters the Smash speculation community as a whole was pretty spot-on with (I wanna say the SmashEra OT here had a poll of likely characters with her handily taking it at 70-75% of the vote?) so maybe we're getting better lmao

He did make an explicit point of going "Everyone's a main character guys!" to try to justify it. It's clearly still a criteria that passes through his mind. He'd shut it down if it wasn't - he knows the Smash community well enough.

Treating "Da Rulez" as this hard-line criteria for qualification was always the wrong way to look at it. Ultimately they are (or should be) more of an attempt to get into Sakurai's head and understand who's likely to be picked. After all, he's the active driver with every character from concept to release, and he's been open about having certain "rules" in his head that have changed over time. Once upon a time Villager didn't have a viable moveset, once upon a time Ridley was indeed too big.

So "main character" seems to still be a thing. "No spirits" has clearly been BTFO, though TheDinoman's post makes a good point on the time sensitivity of it. Base spirits are clearly open season, but it'd be weird to for example have a whole Resident Evil event only to immediately release Jill or Chris or Leon and throw those same spirits on the Board. Similar logic with costumes - why drag back Heihachi's Mii costume if he was soon going to be his own character? So those may be disqualifying pieces for now, but who knows: maybe we'll get a third Fighter Pass and enough time will have passed for both to be viable again.

"No assist trophies" still seems pretty sturdy, though - I can't help but get the feeling that Spring Man was disqualified early because of that, and currently there isn't a demonstrable example of a character being both. Then again, certain ATs are clearly disabled in certain circumstances, so maybe Sakurai decides to leverage that? Again, who can say.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"No assist trophies" still seems pretty sturdy, though - I can't help but get the feeling that Spring Man was disqualified early because of that, and currently there isn't a demonstrable example of a character being both. Then again, certain ATs are clearly disabled in certain circumstances, so maybe Sakurai decides to leverage that? Again, who can say.
I think if any character breaks this rule in Ultimate, it's going to be Waluigi.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot that the rest of the ARMS fighters are in Min Min's final smash so there's minimal chance at this being fixed in another DLC pack or something, though I think this is it for fighter passes.

If there's a next game I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again and we're once again told to "Wait our turn." Been waiting hundreds of damn years for everything.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I really dislike how people are mixing minority representation with black representation. There were a bunch threads on Era by black posters about the distinct lack of black and dark skin characters. And those threads were filled with apoplogist bullshit.

Suddenly Min Min is in and that covers the complaints from that section of the community? Min Min is cool, one of my favourite Arms designs, but what the fuck does this pick have to do with the original complaints made on this board?

Many of yall are being disingenuous as fuck and it's not cool.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I forgot that the rest of the ARMS fighters are in Min Min's final smash so there's minimal chance at this being fixed in another DLC pack or something, though I think this is it.
Chrom is in Robin's final smash, so I wouldn't count it out based on that.

I mean I agree Twintelle is an unlikely DLC at this point (unless that echo pack materializes) but that's not why I'd discount her.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I think if any character breaks this rule in Ultimate, it's going to be Waluigi.

If there is a single character Nintendo absolutely does not care enough about, it's Waluigi. Warioware Gold made a point to show that Wario absolutely does not give a shit about that guy outside of needing a tennis partner.

It would be far more in-character for Waluigi to never be a true Smash character.