Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This isn't by mojang lol. It's by Double Eleven. Sure their name is on it, but I'm betting that Mojang didn't do much.

Lol I had no idea, thanks.

If somebody only get a few hours out of this game then they aren't playing it very much like it was intended to play as a dungeon crawler loot RPG. I got a few hours out of it just during the PC beta, so I am quite confident that doing the gameplay loop and leveling up to play through the harder difficulty runs and to find some of the secret levels and such will be plenty of play time.

That's fair, I love a good loot grind.

_bemusedchunk

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
North of Boston
Watched the Giantbomb quick look this morning, and all this hype i had for this game has been drained. It seems short, and even a little shallow.

I'd probably gravitate back toward Diablo 3 over this, which is unfortunate because i love the look/style of this.

Edit: Price isn't a concern of mine. I'm a middle-aged adult with plenty of disposable income. So "short" just means little replay value for me.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played both, how does this feel compared to the old Dark Alliance / Champions of Norrath games? Obviously length is shorter but whatever; they were considered "simple" too but were an absolute joy.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't think it has enough depth for me to warrant a purchase but I might sub to gamepass for a month to play it.

Oct 26, 2017
This looks like a perfect couch coop game for me and my gf.

And it doesn't seem like I'll be constantly blowing my top like when we play Overcooked lol.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so critical of games that 75+ metacritic scores are considered 'bottom of the barrel'

We've been treated with too many good games.
Well to be fair, when there are millions of other games competing for someone's time and money, it kinda is bottom of the barrel. Thankfully game pass gives people a low barrier of entry.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, a short and shallow game, but a nice low $20 price tag. It's about what I expected. Guessing the MC score will end up in the low 70s once the bigger review sites check in.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Giant Bomb's video, this seems super lacking, is there any mining or crafting in this game? I find it funny for people to excuse the lack of content when Terraria cost around the same or less and contains ten times the content. I know they are making future updates and DLC, but cmon man.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Giant Bomb's video, this seems super lacking, is there any mining or crafting in this game? I find it funny for people to excuse the lack of content when Terraria cost around the same or less and contains ten times the content. I know they are making future updates and DLC, but cmon man.

They said in the Giant Bomb video that there is no crafting and from a quick Google search it appears there is no mining as well.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

No, there is no mining or crafting.

Oct 25, 2017
They said in the Giant Bomb video that there is no crafting and from a quick Google search it appears there is no mining as well.
No, there is no mining or crafting.
I mean, that's the funny thing ain't it? You make an IP in the Minecraft universe, make an action RPGish adventure, so people expect there will be crafting and mining because, well it's called "Minecraft". You can collect materials to make new gear and mine around levels to maybe attack the enemy unnoticed and get a preemptive strike. This feels like such a bit misstep, I guess that's too much to ask for?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "it's a $20 game" replies when something like Grim Dawn exists. And Mojang isn't a indie dev.

I will play because of GP, but $20 converted to my currency is worth much more than ~5 hours.
Does the $20 leave your pocket differently if it's from an indie dev? $20 is $20 and the expected value should be the same.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, that's the funny thing ain't it? You make an IP in the Minecraft universe, make an action RPGish adventure, so people expect there will be crafting and mining because, well it's called "Minecraft". You can collect materials to make new gear and mine around levels to maybe attack the enemy unnoticed and get a preemptive strike. This feels like such a bit misstep, I guess that's too much to ask for?

I don't know. I didn't expect any mining. So can't really speak for other people.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt expect mining to be fair. From day one it was a dungeon crawler spin off game in the universe.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Was hoping for longer but that's okay, still going to give it a shot.
I can imagine them adding an adventure mode later down the line.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
WellPlayed.com.au - 5/10
www.well-played.com.au

Minecraft Dungeons Review

Taking a Notch out of Diablo's book
Minecraft Dungeons is somewhat of a disappointing release. It was never poised to be a hard replacement for games like
Diablo III or Path of Exile, but it also didn't need to be. It aims to be a simplistic take on this style of game while sporting the Minecraft aesthetic and charm. Its fun enough gameplay and cool environments are enough to prop the game up for a fun weekend, but not really much more. The campaign is short enough to makeThe Order: 1886 feel like an Odyssean epic and the poor interpretation of longevity in the difficulty-based game design makes a game that is already incredibly shallow lack any semblance of depth. I can't really recommend this game unless you just want a small day or two of mindless fun.

GamersHeroes - 8/10
www.gamersheroes.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review - GamersHeroes

Minecraft Dungeons is a dungeon-crawling adventure that promises a lot of fun for gamers young and old alike.
Minecraft Dungeons is a dungeon-crawling adventure that promises a lot of fun for gamers young and old alike. While its replay value may wane with time, a constantly growing progression system and its various difficulty settings offer a lot for those less affected by the repetition.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
God Is A Geek 6.5/10
www.godisageek.com

Minecraft Dungeons review | GodisaGeek.com

Minecraft Dungeons has heaps of potential, and in a year’s time it may be a very different beast. But right now I can’t shake the notion that this is a squandered opportunity
Ultimately, I think Minecraft Dungeons has made me feel a little disappointed. It's not that Dungeons is bad – because it's really not. I enjoyed a lot of what I played, besides the bosses. There are glimmers of good ideas all over it, glinting like dandruff on a fine black coat. There's simply not enough of it. But perhaps the biggest crime it commits is that, displayed upon the map of this small and contained world is an icon promising not only that more content is coming, but that it will soon be available "to purchase". It rings as very cynical to me, and I wouldn't have expected it from Xbox and Mojang.

I will say that Minecraft Dungeons is enjoyable in small doses and will amuse younger gamers for a while. And it has potential, heaps of it, so in a year's time it may be a very different beast. But I'm afraid that right now I can't shake the notion that this is a bit of a squandered opportunity that really should have done more with its source material.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It's a $20 game aimed at a younger crowd...not sure - outside of the obvious concern trollers - what some people expected this to be.

I had a lot of fun playing it with my kids, who can't really handle Diablo-level stuff yet. The harder difficulties are more challenging, but we'll work up to that...then maybe they can switch over to Diablo?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
A huge portion of Minecraft's audience skews young. Any one - reviewer or consumer - complaining about it not being as deep as the likes of Diablo has to be trolling. They needed to make a game a 7 year old would like to play.

Of course, finding the right balance is to make a game that appeals to a 7 year old and a 35 year old gamer. I don't think they've hit that height, but there's room to improve with post-release content.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Had a sinking feeling that drafting this for my Fantasy League was a mistake when I read in the Xbox thread that the campaign is only like 5 hours long

Can't win them all :|