• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously the set pieces were superb

But I also enjoyed the scene when he saves the French policewoman, something about the combination of the four efficient shots and the compassion of it - works for me

I was slightly reminded me of Collateral when Cruise gunned down those 4 goons in MI , similar to him taking out those two people in Collateral trying to steal his briefcase. Cool scene.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I was slightly reminded me of Collateral when Cruise gunned down those 4 goons in MI , similar to him taking out those two people in Collateral trying to steal his briefcase. Cool scene.

Wow didn't think of that comparison but for sure - same sort of motions and impact

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it was supposed to be obvious to the audience from the point he handed over the phone. It created tension in every scene with him because the question was when he'd make his move.
Yeah but even before that the trailers gave alot away when they showed them at odds. Once the unknown mastermind was thrown in the plot it was obvious.

I thought Cavill did well, too bad they didnt seem to save him for another film (although a hook to the head isnt always fatal... right??). Instead the much more dull Lane gets to survive.
Obviously the set pieces were superb

But I also enjoyed the scene when he saves the French policewoman, something about the combination of the four efficient shots and the compassion of it - works for me
The gunplay definitely reminded me of Collateral. Also good work by the script to put Hunt in those moral quandaries and show he doesnt take the easy way out.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
To me a great comparison is James Bond: Spectre. That movie failed utterly in creating a cohesive story that has some callbacks to previous movies but makes it easy enough for new viewers, also has a villain/organization that has been involved for a long time behind the scenes, and of course is action packed, femme fatale, gadgets, etc. It even had a few iconic action scenes like the opening Dia de las muertas scene but my god the writing and story was so leaden and horrific in that movie, whereas kudos to the writers of Fallout for keeping the pacing and tempo and plot points accessible.

I really, really hope Bond 25 writers watch the Mission Impossible series a few times to figure out what that gets right and what they got wrong in the last 2-3 Bond movies. Although I think the release date is Nov 8th, 2019 so probably too late now :(

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just returned from seeing it. I dug that there were so many references to the previous adventures, but think that having White Widow be Max' daughter was unnecessary.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Some brilliant action sequences. Loved how it ended up with him scaling a rock cliff. Some moments really worked too - them deciding to cut at 2 secs left because they trusted Ethan and the policewoman scene.

But the pacing and possibly the villain motivations/actions (after the reveal) were a let down for me. Walker's intelligence just seemed to scale based on what kind of action scene was needed. None of the sub-missions had a slower MI mission feel. All the twists were super telegraphed.

I could possibly see Cruise being some kind of IMF head or something when he finally is too old to do all the crazy shit he puts himself through, that way he stays in the universe

NWtGrZk.png

Tropic Thunder revealed to be Mission Impossible 11.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hope Bond 25 writers watch the Mission Impossible series a few times to figure out what that gets right and what they got wrong in the last 2-3 Bond movies. Although I think the release date is Nov 8th, 2019 so probably too late now :(
The writers of James Bond 25 had absolutely nothing to do with the previous Daniel Craig films.

Bond 25's story was written by Danny Boyle (who is directing) and the screenplay by John Hodge who has written most of Danny Boyle's films. Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, Trance, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Wish Cavill stayed a good guy, loved him but didn't buy this spec ops assassin badass writing a unabomber style manifesto.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel so inferior whenever Henry Cavill is on screen man. Guys should not be that good looking, its not fair to the rest of us.

Overall I really liked it. The movie is classic mission impossible and it really all feels like one big action sequence - you don't ever really get time to stop and catch your breath. That being said, this movie seriously suffers from the lack of a good villain and Henry Cavill's character in particular is terrible. When they said that he was the one who penned the manifesto I actually thought I misheard or misunderstood what they were saying. I had to turn to my friends to make sure I understood correctly. It's never really explained, either. Is this guy the mastermind? He seems subservient to the beard guy. What is he bringing to the table? He's presented as pretty much a (dangerous) musclebound goon for the first 40 minutes and Cavill never does anything to really shed that persona after the big reveal.

I hope the next movie has a really memorable villain.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
That was a really fun movie. Definitely want to see how they did some of the stuff I saw. It's just so damn cool.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with Cavill in this is that I don't for a second buy him as this burn-it-all-down zealot. When he said "watch the old world order implode" Cavill didn't sound like he bought it himself :lol

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
My only issue with Cavill in this is that I don't for a second buy him as this burn-it-all-down zealot. When he said "watch the old world order implode" Cavill didn't sound like he bought it himself :lol

Yeah, he doesn't have the strongest motivation. The "he's an anarchist angle" only kinda works because it fits with his "smash everything" approach to getting things done.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, the movie is pretty much the quintessential fantastic action film, I'll get that out of the way. But did anyone else still feel underwhelmed? Like it had perfect parachute scene, perfect bathroom fight, perfect car chase, perfect helicopter battle, etc...but they were all perfectly done versions of things I've mostly seen before, combined into a fantastic order and pacing. But five years from now, I wouldn't be able to remember the difference between the car chase in this film and a half dozen other movies.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Was hoping Walker wouldn't turn out to be Lark so was disappointed when the clues were thrown in your face. The action was great, bathroom brawl and bike chase being the best. Copter chase went too long imo, Ethan Hunt may as well be a mutant with Domino's powers.

I guess I'm forgetting the last few movies then, what happened to Renner's character?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't love this movie. It was okay. I think what I want from a Mission Impossible movie is more of a fun heist feel, with the team, the plan, the gadgets, the way it all goes wrong. More of what 1 and Ghost Protocol gave me.

This was much more into gritty Bourne/Bond territory. It didn't really feel like Mission Impossible so much as a more typical spy thriller. Lots of gunplay and brawling. I started checking my watch...

I also felt the pacing was a bit lethargic. I want to see a more driving feel to the editing, building up to a big heist scene. Stuff in this just kinda happened.

I guess I'm a bit confused by the really high tomatometer. It didn't seem like a remarkable entry in this series.

Ghost Protocol remains the high water mark.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was refreshing to see a well-made stupid summer action blockbuster that was mercifully free of obvious CGI and super heroes.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Tom Cruise you may believe some strange shit irl but god damn if you arent THE action star.

Movie was awesome, stunts were awesome. Overall...pretty damn awesome. Probably the best entry into the series or at least tied for first and probably the best action blockbuster we will see this year.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
There are some sequences and set pieces in this movie that made me think I was watching an Uncharted movie.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
EVEN THE BTS GUY JUMPED OFF THE PLANE LMAO

Yeah that was nuts, he's constantly roving behind the main camera guy, guess he was a back-up in case anything went wrong or something.

Been thinking about this movie since I saw it on Friday. The face-mask twist with Benji is such a great pay-off to Walker saying "who falls for that shit?" earlier in the movie, makes me chuckle.

The climax is also so well constructed. The reason there's a hook in the first place is because it was from the chopper holding a payload, which featured prominently during one of several insane stunts. A meticulously constructed screenplay, despite the fact that the action sequences were often improvised on the day by Tom and the stunt crew. Filmmaking is incredibly hard, these guys make it look easy.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
This was immensely entertaining. I have been meh on the plots of the last few mission impossibles even if the action was great. This kept the momentum going so well though that I never was bored throughout. action sequences spaced out so well throughout.

Definitely huge props to McQuarrie stepping up his game big time with the action sequences, even better than the last. That halo jump on IMAX was insane. Also Henry Cavill man...I didn't care for him much before but he plays a great cocky asshole in this (and looks like a god with that moustache btw). The bathroom scene and the Halo jump in just the first 20 minutes!!! the choreography in that fight was the best I've seen in a Hollywood action movie in a minute.

and then the setpieces just continue on with greatness. I dunno how I'd rank the last few years of action movies just yet. but on a technical standpoint this has gotta be the best one since Mad Max Fury Road easy.

and yeah I think I might finally have found a Mission Impossible sequel I prefer over the first, its been 22 years in the making to do that. two different beasts though. DePalma killed it with the Spy ensemble thriller mode (and that laser sequence remains GOAT Ethan Hunt), but McQuarrie finally perfected the action side of the franchise that they've been chasing since 2.

Reflex

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
watched this in imax, the halo jump and the helicopter scenes were done in IMAX and the clarity of those scenes is remarkable. especially the helicopter chase that was shot in bright light.

one thing that was pretty neat was when the halo jump started the screen slowly expanded to fill the top and bottom of the imax screen.

also the person i went to see this film with noticed something when henry cavil handed the phone over to angela basset from the lark agent it was pristine, where as the phone on the lark agent was cracked. i noticed it but thought maybe it was a continuity error. he said it was meant as a subtle hint for the audience that henry cavil gave a different phone to set up ethan.

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Legit shock at some of the double crosses in the movie, Christopher Mcquarrie is such a talented director. Such a finely crafted action spy thriller, the bike & car chases, tom sprinting and jumping from roof tops, the helicopter chases, such a memorable movie. Everyone gave their best from the production crew to the actors involved. How on earth are they going to top Fallout?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
They keep referencing Mi6(British Intelligence Unit) since Rogue Nation, how would it be if there were to be a cross over, Ethan Hunt meets James Bond.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back when the first Mission Impossible came out, audience and critics alike were making snide comments about Tom Cruise wanting to be an action star. Now he is the action star. No equals none at all. Goddamn.

What a brilliant thrill ride.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They keep referencing Mi6(British Intelligence Unit) since Rogue Nation, how would it be if there were to be a cross over, Ethan Hunt meets James Bond.
Different studios. Not going to happen. EON Studios who owns the Bond film franchise is very very protective of it, hell they have had had a ban on allowing any American directors from doing a Bond film for the past 50 years.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I looked at that Behind The Scenes clip, I think many cars were CGI'ed in, around the Arc de Triomphe. Still a fantastic stunt.
And with the camera going in the opposite direction, it creates an illusion of speed, I would think. So the cars he's driving head on into don't have to be going that fast.