Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuck. I guess that's the risk of using any add-on boards, given they're all basically hand-made. Shouldn't be a risk, but there's no other option :/

Sorry to hear that, maybe there's a way to check if something on that board is faulty (although I can't imagine anything on an add-on board would fry the DE10, doesn't make sense to me).

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am sure it was just a coincidence. The I/O board has been on there since I started using the nano. It was just the first time I actually used the vga port. Surely a coincidence, but it is hard not to be paranoid now.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
No luck. Ordered a new plugin, and actually managed to find the original that came with DE-10 Nano. Still dead. Got a brand new SD card, did a fresh install of Mister, and took all the daughter boards and ram off the DE-10. So, just a fresh install with nothing but the DE-10 and the plugin that came with it, still dead. Fucking sucks.

I guess I am spending another $140 on one. I am afraid to use the I/0 board again. It was surely a coincidence, but I have never had an issue. Then the first time I use the I/O board for component output, it dies after 10-15 minutes.

Fuuuuck.
I had the same issue

Burn a new SD Card, preferably a samsung one. For almosta month I got "No Signal" through HDMI and with a new SD Card it sorted itself out.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have tried three different SD cards, one of which was a brand new Samsung one I opened today. No luck.

It also died with a glitch and freeze. So, something went wrong while I was using it. I stopped being able to control it, then it froze, then it glitched out and went black, and now it does nothing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried three different SD cards, one of which was a brand new Samsung one I opened today. No luck.

It also died with a glitch and freeze. So, something went wrong while I was using it. I stopped being able to control it, then it froze, then it glitched out and went black, and now it does nothing.
Wait a bit. I had the exact same situation and it "sorted" itself out.

The MiSTer can corrupt the SDCards and will "hung" for a while. Don't order just yet

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I keep testing it hoping it would just come back to life. But, at this point it has been two days with three different clean installs on three different SD cards. I am not feeling very hopeful.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got my new DE10 and everything is working great. I didn't realize/remember that there were light on the nano itself also, so seeing that on the new on I realize they weren't turning on on the broken one. It is odd. It had enough juice to turn on the fan on the I/O board, but all the lights on the DE10 and the I/0 didn't power on.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the first thing I expected was that Laxer used one of the... $10'000 FPGAs. But if you roll into the replies, it is apparently targeting DE10-nano and, so far, fitting with the plan. II guess one caveat could be that the replica won't be able to match PS1 exactly. But funnily enough, there are apparently two types of PS1s with different renderer internals, so there should be some wiggle room for that.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On top of that insanity, GBA just got its first official release:

roOy6k3.png

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Core was updated a minute ago

Expect lots of exponential growth in the coming weeks

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Known Game crashes/hang
Banjo-Kazooie hangs after intro. Workaround: instantly save, reset game and load save

Board Game classics: hangs in Mainmenu

Boktai 2: hangs in language selection

Bomberman Max 2 - Blue black screen after intro

Chessmaster: can't pick up any stone

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 hangs when going into race

Final Fantasy IV: hangs in intro

Megaman Battle Network: hangs after game start

SuperMarioAdvance -> MarioBros Minigame hangs. Same game is included and working in Super Mario Advance 2

Features
all videomodes including affine and special effects
all soundchannels
saving as in GBA
turbomode
Missing Features
Multiplayer features like Serial
GBA Module function(e.g. Boktai sun sensor)
RTC
probably some more

~200 games tested until ingame:

95% without major issues (no crash, playable)

Sounds pretty damn good for a first release.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I JUST started using scripts instead of pulling my SD card and doing shit manually.

Will the GBA core immediately start showing up, or do you have to wait for an update to the updater?
I only just started using scripts too, however I need to disable the bit that updates the Linux core. Got my wifi all up and running with a driver that had to be "injected" or whatever, then it updated Linux (even though there was no update, it was just different because of said driver) and overwrote it :/

It's great that other people have kinda modified that script too, so Jotego's arcade cores use another script but it's still all automated, too.

Not as hyped as others about the GBA core but that's just because I'm not as hyped about the GBA full stop. Still impressive though!

Yep, the first thing I expected was that Laxer used one of the... $10'000 FPGAs. But if you roll into the replies, it is apparently targeting DE10-nano and, so far, fitting with the plan. II guess one caveat could be that the replica won't be able to match PS1 exactly. But funnily enough, there are apparently two types of PS1s with different renderer internals, so there should be some wiggle room for that.
I saw the layout or whatever it was that showed the percentage of the Cyclone it's using, and it looked like it was around 15-20%. I don't know if that indicates it's not all that accurate and/or is just blackboxing the CPUs (vs. actual die/gate layouts) but if it's accurate, I'd be pretty amazed.

What Smokemonster (and Jeremy) said in his interview on Retronauts was 100% right: This feels exactly like the very early days of MAME, where you'd be refreshing pages almost daily to see what new games/platforms were supported.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I will laugh out loud if before the pocket goes on sale the MiSTer has full GBA/GBC/GB support for a fraction of the price of the pocket+dock

And going by past products with better support/results

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I will laugh out loud if before the pocket goes on sale the MiSTer has full GBA/GBC/GB support for a fraction of the price of the pocket+dock

I love my MiSTer and the GBA core is going to get heavy some use for sure, but the Pocket being a handheld (with a really nice screen) is the selling point there. I agree that the dock will certainly lose some of it's appeal, especially if a NGPC comes to MiSTER in the near future.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I love my MiSTer and the GBA core is going to get heavy some use for sure, but the Pocket being a handheld (with a really nice screen) is the selling point there. I agree that the dock will certainly lose some of it's appeal, especially if a NGPC comes to MiSTER in the near future.
The only interesting point for me is the dock. I have several GBas already with amazzing screens :p

I'm expecting the Pocket+dock+shipping to be about 360 US$ so....

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
The only interesting point for me is the dock. I have several GBas already with amazzing screens :p

I'm expecting the Pocket+dock+shipping to be about 360 US$ so....

Well, I only have the stock systems (Micro, GBA, NGPC, GBC, GBP) and a decent collection of games. The $220 I'm expecting to pay for the Analogue Pocket feels like a steal when you add up the screen mods and flashcarts I had been eyeing for each system it's going to cover.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I only have the stock systems (Micro, GBA, NGPC, GBC, GBP) and a decent collection of games. The $220 I'm expecting to pay for the Analogue Pocket feels like a steal when you add up the screen mods and flashcarts I had been eyeing for each system it's going to cover.
I'm a sucker so I'll probably buy the set when it comes up but it's, once again after the Mega SG, going to leave a bad taste

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Why do you gotta do this stupid system wars bullshit? Why can't we just be happy that both a GBA MiSTer core and the Pocket exists so that people have options and choice? Seems to me like everyone wins here.

ghogan42

May 24, 2018
Don't know if this is related, but another update already came out:

KNd80b3.png

The first release could save games but load them I think.
The second fixes that.

Neither was made with the "Desaturate" option that you can enable to lower the color saturation.

Every release so far has a video issue that needs to be fixed. Scaling in the vertical direction is a little off and as a result the current builds chop of the last line of video.

Also, there are a few better LCD Effect filters that you likely don't have yet. Soon the updater will be able to handle the folder structure and I'll push them to the official repository.

GBA_LCD_Color.png

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you gotta do this stupid system wars bullshit? Why can't we just be happy that both a GBA MiSTer core and the Pocket exists so that people have options and choice? Seems to me like everyone wins here.
Chill I have purchased every fpga based system from Analogue but I'm hilariously unhappy about their PR, their products support, their shitty business practices and the barebone features they give.

As such seeing amateur/enthusiast projects lit a fire under their complacent ass makes me happy because without the MiSTer there would be no dev dedicated second fpga on the pocket.

And also without past fpga initiatives (one chip MSX or the Minimig in the mid 00s) you wouldn't see Analogue's current output.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As such seeing amateur/enthusiast projects lit a fire under their complacent ass makes me happy because without the MiSTer there would be no dev dedicated second fpga on the pocket.

And also without past fpga initiatives (one chip MSX or the Minimig in the mid 00s) you wouldn't see Analogue's current output.

Absolutely, competition leads to better products. As an FPGA enthusiast, I'm loving what we're getting from both Analouge and MiSTer. This is an amazing time to be a retro enthusiast

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Mister and plan on getting 128 SDRAM and will be using the MiSTer to play GB family games and I am buying the fuck out of the Analog Pocket.

Just maybe I won't need the dock.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Mister and plan on getting 128 SDRAM and will be using the MiSTer to play GB family games and I am buying the fuck out of the Analog Pocket.

Just maybe I won't need the dock.
A dock purchase lies in how long it takes to get Lynx and NGPC cores up and running on MiSTer

It also lies in Analogue's ability to have decent video out options. The ones from the SuperNT and MegaSG beeing rather poor to this day since Kevtris doesn't care that much about this specific aspect of the products

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Tiny Launcher with a slightly different skin

It's not MiSTer related, it's an amiga frontend to launch whdload games when you are low on memory (especially A500/600 amigas)
I think that launcher is actually the same as the one used in this video that I stumbled across just now:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
GBA and possible incoming ps1 lead to me buying a DE-10 nano yesterday. I figured I might as well buy the FPGA and filter in the rest (USB hub, SDRAM, Case, I/O, etc) later this year or early next year. ...forecasts post next week when I buy all of those, lol

What are people using for controllers? USB variants of OG controllers? Retro-bit BT/wireless? OG with raph-net adapters?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
GBA and possible incoming ps1 lead to me buying a DE-10 nano yesterday. I figured I might as well buy the FPGA and filter in the rest (USB hub, SDRAM, Case, I/O, etc) later this year or early next year. ...forecasts post next week when I buy all of those, lol

What are people using for controllers? USB variants of OG controllers? Retro-bit BT/wireless? OG with raph-net adapters?
You will need the Sdram module for GBA and preferably the 128MB one for the largest games.

So you may as well order it now because most cores won't be usable without it

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You will need the Sdram module for GBA and preferably the 128MB one for the largest games.

So you may as well order it now because most cores won't be usable without it
Yep, I know. Thanks though! :D

It was more a, "I know I'll get one eventually so I might as well try to spread the costs a bit and grab the main event now."

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I know. Thanks though! :D

It was more a, "I know I'll get one eventually so I might as well try to spread the costs a bit and grab the main event now."
That's exactly what I did, so here's the order I bought things in:
DE10 (can still play Genesis and TG16/PCEngine titles with just this on it's own)
Cheap powered USB hub (not the one made for the DE10, but saved at least $50AU and it's not really a necessity)
128GB SDRAM module

Not counting microSD card, nor the 3D printed fan spacer/mount or the fan itself that I ripped from an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. Already owned/using: Saturn USB pad, Logitech K400 keyboard/trackpad, and wifi USB dongle.

I still want to get some kind of a proper case, because it's hella ghetto right now and would like it to look less shit. But I have no need/want for the other things that are kinda considered "standard" for a DE10 setup, like the I/O board or proper USB hub attachment (and most cases seem to accommodate those, which it a turnoff).

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you still have to buy the ram and components directly from some person or has someone started to put stuff up on amazon or wherever

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A Retrobit 2.4GHz Saturn controller; 8Bitdo controllers via a standard bluetooth adapter or wired (SFC30, SN30 Pro+ etc.)
Haven't tried a raphnet adapter, but it could work.
do you still have to buy the ram and components directly from some person or has someone started to put stuff up on amazon or wherever

From 'some person', still. It's kind of annoying, but understandable.
Can recommend a couple of places if you live in Europe.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Just have to hunt people down. I have bought a bunch from Misteraddons. I bought my 128 ram from someone else just because they had it in stock ready to go, but I also paid like $10-15 more than if I had just waited and bought through misteraddons.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I cannot get the GBA core to load games. I had the initial release which ran fine. I ran the update script and saw the GBA update and now it wont load any games,just a black screen. I've tried putting 20191124 release back in and nothing.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot get the GBA core to load games. I had the initial release which ran fine. I ran the update script and saw the GBA update and now it wont load any games,just a black screen. I've tried putting 20191124 release back in and nothing.
Mine runs okay for what it's worth, without the official BIOS. I have the BIOS in the right folder (/games/GBA) but it has the wrong name, and it works fine.

If you load the core without any games, does anything show up at all? Mine comes up with the "Neomatt"(?) logo then loads the game.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Now that he have things like GBA and possibly Playstation coming, I'm gonna make it a priority to grab a MiSTer in 2020

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Mine runs okay for what it's worth, without the official BIOS. I have the BIOS in the right folder (/games/GBA) but it has the wrong name, and it works fine.

If you load the core without any games, does anything show up at all? Mine comes up with the "Neomatt"(?) logo then loads the game.

No just a black screen,I can bring up the mister menu and load a rom but nothing happens.

Edit: I fixed it. I just deleted my boot.rom and it worked!

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Now that he have things like GBA and possibly Playstation coming, I'm gonna make it a priority to grab a MiSTer in 2020
If you can find a sale on anything now (unlikely for the DE10, but possibly accessories) I'd jump in ASAP. The amount of stuff you can do even now is insane. I currently run an Amiga, Neo-Geo, Mega Drive, SNES, Master System/Game Gear, Atari 2600, GBA... I legit can't believe how incredible this device has become.