bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
According to Smokemonsters stream today Sega CD will be releasing any day now. Sorgelig is working on it as we speak,he thought it might be today but probably in the next few!!

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you can find a sale on anything now (unlikely for the DE10, but possibly accessories) I'd jump in ASAP. The amount of stuff you can do even now is insane. I currently run an Amiga, Neo-Geo, Mega Drive, SNES, Master System/Game Gear, Atari 2600, GBA... I legit can't believe how incredible this device has become.

Speaking of, what are the best places to buy Addons for someone in the U.S. and what and what is the baseline that I would need?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I've only bought one official, actual made-for-DE10 product and it was from Antonio Villeno, and because he didn't make it directly it actually came from https://www.facebook.com/retroshoppontopt/. Shipping was super fast and there was great follow-up :)

misteraddons gets mentioned a lot and while I haven't bought from him directly, he's contributed a LOT to this thread and comes with great endorsement from people like JeremyParish and SmokeMonster.

PS. Ooooh:

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've only bought one official, actual made-for-DE10 product and it was from Antonio Villeno, and because he didn't make it directly it actually came from https://www.facebook.com/retroshoppontopt/. Shipping was super fast and there was great follow-up :)

misteraddons gets mentioned a lot and while I haven't bought from him directly, he's contributed a LOT to this thread and comes with great endorsement from people like JeremyParish and SmokeMonster.

Awesome I'll check em out

daty2k1

Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed my case :

pR0atdM.jpg

It uses the original power plug and video out. I also created a cable from an original controller to pass usb.

Unfortunately I think the original LED is broken so I will have to find a new one.

Some more pictures:

HqDnDxj.jpg

ZrC4chK.jpg

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Sorge and Srg320 don't tease things publicly very often, but when they do you can expect them sooner rather than later.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Sorge and Srg320 don't tease things publicly very often, but when they do you can expect them sooner rather than later.
I didn't think it was really "teased" that publicly, unless the github commits count :) Was that his channel that posted the video footage of the SCD core, or just some rando tester?

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
so the narrative now is that the analogue pocket is overpriced? Why can't people enjoy one thing without having to shit on something else?

Btw it's too bad Porkchop can't keep up with demand. The quality of his work is great. Tried buying from eBay once and had a terrible experience.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
so the narrative now is that the analogue pocket is overpriced? Why can't people enjoy one thing without having to shit on something else?

Btw it's too bad Porkchop can't keep up with demand. The quality of his work is great. Tried buying from eBay once and had a terrible experience.

I don't think it's overpriced, but enough people dislike their business practices that it's easy to root for alternative products.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What about their business practices do people dislike? Genuinely wondering.

Most likely the ridiculously high shipping costs and the mix up they made with the Mega SG variants and how they handled that telling people that they would need to pay for the return shipping.

Only problem I have with them is their pretentious marketing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
What about their business practices do people dislike? Genuinely wondering.
Everything

Customer support, shipping fees, lousy PR, lack of product shelf life support, thoroughly hostile to what they percieve as a threat

Oh and their behavior as if they "invented" FPGA systems is annoying to sat the least

johnhandy

Oct 29, 2017
I got my 128MB RAM from zerohimself on Etsy. I think it took about a month from order to delivery. It's amazing to see NeoGeo stuff running; Windjammers beach stage feels a lot better compared to the PS4 port and other emulators I've tried previously.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Shipping prices and post release device support are two big ones; maybe others I'm not aware of.

Most likely the ridiculously high shipping costs and the mix up they made with the Mega SG variants and how they handled that telling people that they would need to pay for the return shipping.

Only problem I have with them is their pretentious marketing.

Everything

Customer support, shipping fees, lousy PR, lack of product shelf life support, thoroughly hostile to what they percieve as a threat

Oh and their behavior as if they "invented" FPGA systems is annoying to sat the least

I get all of your points. There are companies that sell flash carts with issues for $300, or charge $500 for something because it's for the NeoGeo when it should cost a fraction of the price and I don't see them getting as much shit for it. I guess that's my issue with this whole thing. Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread further.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I get all of your points. There are companies that sell flash carts with issues for $300, or charge $500 for something because it's for the NeoGeo when it should cost a fraction of the price and I don't see them getting as much shit for it. I guess that's my issue with this whole thing. Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread further.
TerraOnion got a TON of flak for the SSDS3 (audio and RGB issues).

Also TerraOnion's shipping is low and the pricing is in line with other highend flashcarts (like the SD2SNES Pro is more expensive than the MegaSD or the SSDS3)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
TerraOnion got a TON of flak for the SSDS3 (audio and RGB issues).

Also TerraOnion's shipping is low and the pricing is in line with other highend flashcarts (like the SD2SNES Pro is more expensive than the MegaSD or the SSDS3)

Actually SD2SNES Pro is the cheapest of those three items

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Actually SD2SNES Pro is the cheapest of those three items
Terraonion is selling the MegaSD right now for 194 Euros
Krizz is selling is SD2SNES Pro for 231$ CND

They are within 10$ of one another. Currently the MegaSD is 15% off, the SD2SNES Pro is 20% off, so right now yes the SD2SNES Pro is cheaper. Wasn't the case for my lousy canadian dollar self last week

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Terraonion is selling the MegaSD right now for 194 Euros
Krizz is selling is SD2SNES Pro for 231$ CND

They are within 10$ of one another. Currently the MegaSD is 15% off, the SD2SNES Pro is 20% off, so right now yes the SD2SNES Pro is cheaper. Wasn't the case for my lousy canadian dollar self last week

Admittedly I was going based off US dollar prices

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

You are hand waiving away a lot of different things with "a lot of companies sell things that are priced too high imo". The prices of the last couple of Analogue items have been fine. I don't think that's the issue here but whatever. I was just trying to answer honestly. I personally love their products when they don't pull support back to move to the next big thing. But aside from that it's a lot of the other junk that's listed, and it goes way back to when they were doing Neo Geo products. They aren't going to change at this point so it's exciting to have alternatives.

And regarding the Neo Geo thing.. when you think about prices there just remember that it's a much smaller niche than SNES/NES/Genesis. There are certainly economies of scale in play here.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I got my 128MB RAM from zerohimself on Etsy. I think it took about a month from order to delivery. It's amazing to see NeoGeo stuff running; Windjammers beach stage feels a lot better compared to the PS4 port and other emulators I've tried previously.
I just got my 128 from him yesterday as well, after a month. Didn't get around to NeoGeo yet, but GBA (which also uses a lot of RAM) works great at least.

Can't wait to try that Bad Apple NeoGeo demo, though.

Feb 27, 2019
Been following this project loosely via this thread and the Giant Bombcast. It sounds amazing and the fact that it now has GBA support is pretty freaking cool. And the Neo Geo stuff is really neat too.

I've got a question for you experts out there: from what I've read, I assume N64 and PS1 cores will be available for the MiSTer at some point in the not too distant future. But do you think that PS2/GC/OGXB will be possible on this thing at some point? Or is the board not powerful enough to run a core for those systems?

If I could have all of gaming history through the PS2 era available on one system, that would really be incredible. To have all of that available over HDMI on a modern TV setup would pretty much be the holy grail of classic gaming for me. As it is I'm already tempted to jump in.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been following this project loosely via this thread and the Giant Bombcast. It sounds amazing and the fact that it now has GBA support is pretty freaking cool. And the Neo Geo stuff is really neat too.

I've got a question for you experts out there: from what I've read, I assume N64 and PS1 cores will be available for the MiSTer at some point in the not too distant future. But do you think that PS2/GC/OGXB will be possible on this thing at some point? Or is the board not powerful enough to run a core for those systems?

If I could have all of gaming history through the PS2 era available on one system, that would really be incredible. To have all of that available over HDMI on a modern TV setup would pretty much be the holy grail of classic gaming for me. As it is I'm already tempted to jump in.

This is the guy working on the PSX core, and he's saying more or less it will fill up the available resources on the DE-10. Not to say 6th gen and beyond is impossible, but extremely unlikely on the current hardware. PSX happening is amazing to me and there has been talk on a CPS2 core, but that's probably some time away.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

N64 and Saturn are from my understanding far too complex for the current hardware. PS2/GC/Xbox will never be possible on the De-10 Nano. You'd need a much bigger FPGA which would be much more expensive. (More expensive then you could probably afford) Also, those would take teams of dedicated coders. Don't go holding your breath for anything beyond PS1

Feb 27, 2019

This is the guy working on the PSX core, and he's saying more or less it will fill up the available resources on the DE-10. Not to say 6th gen and beyond is impossible, but extremely unlikely on the current hardware. PSX happening is amazing to me and there has been talk on a CPS2 core, but that's probably some time away.

N64 and Saturn are from my understanding far too complex for the current hardware. PS2/GC/Xbox will never be possible on the De-10 Nano. You'd need a much bigger FPGA which would be much more expensive. (More expensive then you could probably afford) Also, those would take teams of dedicated coders. Don't go holding your breath for anything beyond PS1

Thanks for the info! Too bad it probably won't be able to play PS2-era games, but I kind of suspected as much. For me, the Holy Grail is to have all pre-HD systems playable over HDMI on a modern TV.

Still, though, this thing is impressive. Definitely keeping tabs and thinking of getting into it over the next year. Especially cool that old PCs and arcade games are supported too.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for the info! Too bad it probably won't be able to play PS2-era games, but I kind of suspected as much. For me, the Holy Grail is to have all pre-HD systems playable over HDMI on a modern TV.

Still, though, this thing is impressive. Definitely keeping tabs and thinking of getting into it over the next year. Especially cool that old PCs and arcade games are supported too.

You're welcome, My holy grail is if they get CPS 1 and 2, All that Capcom arcade goodness

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PS1 yes, N64 may require an extra board / chip if it can be done.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Anyone who has en educated guess regarding the memory requirements for a PS1 core? Would it require the 128 MB SDRAM module?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 yes, N64 may require an extra board / chip if it can be done.

I wouldn't hold your breath on N64. Even if an affordable fpga existed that could run N64, even kevtris, who cranks out cores in very short order, said it would take him years of work to get it done.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't hold your breath on N64. Even if an affordable fpga existed that could run N64, even kevtris, who cranks out cores in very short order, said it would take him years of work to get it done.

Ah, ok. I kinda assumed it would take 1-2 years at minimum (even if possible), so I got an N64 recently.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who has en educated guess regarding the memory requirements for a PS1 core? Would it require the 128 MB SDRAM module?
From my (limited) understanding the 128mb board was largely required due to the huge cart sizes of NeoGeo and some GBA games. With the PSX streaming much from the disc and having relatively little on-board memory it shouldn't be required at all. I could be wrong, but that makes sense in my mind.

For example, on a recent Giant Bomb stream they were saying how the GBA movie carts (Shrek or DBZ episodes on a cart) wouldn't play at all without the SDRAM addon because of their large sizes.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
From my (limited) understanding the 128mb board was largely required due to the huge cart sizes of NeoGeo and some GBA games. With the PSX streaming much from the disc and having relatively little on-board memory it shouldn't be required at all. I could be wrong, but that makes sense in my mind.

For example, on a recent Giant Bomb stream they were saying how the GBA movie carts (Shrek or DBZ episodes on a cart) wouldn't play at all without the SDRAM addon because of their large sizes.
Thanks, that makes sense I guess.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If people aren't stoked about misteraddons taking a break or whatever, again I'll strongly recommend this guy: https://www.facebook.com/retroshoppontopt/
I did not order direectly to him (ordered from Antonio Villena, but he doesn't make the standard 128MB upgrades, just has them on his site) but was very happy with the service and performance of the card. Seems to test flawlessly up to 140MHz, which I believe is not in your top 2% omg performance, but enough for all cores today and hopefully in the future.

the retronauts episode with smokemonster was super informative
I assume it just came out for non-Patreon supporters? It's definitely great and will get a tonne more eyeballs on it. Maybe even indirectly contribute to the scene somehow.