Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
ANALOG SHOULDER BUTTONS OR NOT?

It's the only thing preventing Gamecube emulation imo.
The GCN adapter is already supported.

It you mean GCN emulation you mean an NSO app, the file size alone is going to be a limiting factor for a long, long time. Even a single small GCN game would greatly eclipse the combined size of the entire NSO + Expansion library. More importantly, Nintendo's made it clear for *years* they find the value of GCN games to be much greater than that. The closest we'll ever get is more $30 HD emulations like Pikmin 1 and 2, maaaaybe some more collections like Mario 3D All-Stars. Otherwise they'll continue to focus on remasters, as they have with Prime, TTYD, and the GameCube Zeldas.

Last edited:

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I'm not sure why people ultimately believe that name will be legit in any capacity. It doesn't even sound like a code name or anything, it sounds like a name straight from 4chan.

I think it's mostly that we still don't have any official information about the console and a lot of people are antsy about it's long awaited release.

So people are just latching onto any potential information that comes out, even if it's of dubious quality.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I was messing around with the joycon buttons trying to see how a third set might feel on Switch 2 and my Switch honked at me like an old school car horn. I had no idea that was a thing lol

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably an outlier but I hope one of those buttons is a dedicated gyro reset/recalibration button for motion controls. Would be very useful instead of eating up a traditional input and when mimicking wii-style pointer controls.

Or just be paddles. That would also rock.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ANALOG SHOULDER BUTTONS OR NOT?

It's the only thing preventing Gamecube emulation imo.

The things preventing gamecube emulation is that there's vastly more money to be made in ala carte bigger re-releases, that those kind of rereleases are practically required to keep the kind of release calendar that Nintendo would like, and that even if they were to try and do a NSO style release for gamecube, the library is so small they'd make the N64 look like a infinite treasure trove.

Well when I dropped my Switch one time one of the joycons wouldn't attach to the rail properly anymore. I imagine that wouldn't have happened with a magnet.

Buncha people with children about to get a lesson in magnetism, that repeated impacts can cause materials to lose their magnetic properties, and at best, become weaker over time.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
All these leaks are gettinf me too hyped that I might just pre-order Switch 2ASAP when it gets announced. It seems more and more it'll be BC similar from the DS to 3DS transition with the cartridges. Hope to see more GC remakes on thr Switch 2 though, as well as Xeno X

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
If the screen is that big I think 1080p is a good get. I just hope the uspcaling from 720p games to 1080p look good, they might, depending on the tech they use.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Come on, Nintendo of America, please convince Nintendo of Japan a really good name for the new system. Got to be catchy, got to be trendy, and it has to easily capture a child's attention.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
1080p screen is the worst news ever if true…

Edit: I'd rather have a 720p screen and better battery life and performance.
My thoughts too. For a handheld, the trade off just isn't worth it for a screen that size. Even the Steam Deck is 800p and for a lot of games just plays at 720p with boarders anyway.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
My thoughts too. For a handheld, the trade off just isn't worth it for a screen that size. Even the Steam Deck is 800p and for a lot of games just plays at 720p with boarders anyway.
This thing will be more powerful than a Deck, will also having the best AI upscaling tech in the industry. It'll be fine.

Also important to note they probably can't really easily jump from 720p to 1440p/4K between handheld and docked modes. This is only half a handheld console after all.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the new shoulder button is an analog trigger and not a digital on/off button. I miss throttles and degrees of pressure.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder if ma

The GCN adapter is already supported.

It you mean GCN emulation you mean an NSO app, the file size alone is going to be a limiting factor for a long, long time. Even a single small GCN game would greatly eclipse the combined size of the entire NSO + Expansion library. More importantly, Nintendo's made it clear for *years* they find the value of GCN games to be much greater than that. The closest we'll ever get is more $30 HD emulations like Pikmin 1 and 2, maaaaybe some more collections like Mario 3D All-Stars. Otherwise they'll continue to focus on remasters, as they have with Prime, TTYD, and the GameCube Zeldas.
I mean they could just have games download on demand inside the NSO app instead of downloading everything automatically. But yeah, it's more likely that they keep releasing them as individually sold HD versions.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be fun to revisit when the Switch 2 ends up having longer battery on handheld mode than the Switch 1, despite the 1080p screen.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
This thread will be fun to revisit when the Switch 2 ends up having longer battery on handheld mode than the Switch 1, despite the 1080p screen.

Yup it will absolutely, especially when the majority of games won't be too demanding at launch. It's going to be funnier seeing people do mental gymnastics when Alan Wake II comes out for the Switch 2 and either people complain about the 1.5 to 2 hour battery life because it's Raytracing in battery mode or they're complaining that it doesn't look as good as other consoles, but ignore the 4+ hour battery life achieved by running the game within the limits to maintain a solid battery life.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It you mean GCN emulation you mean an NSO app, the file size alone is going to be a limiting factor for a long, long time. Even a single small GCN game would greatly eclipse the combined size of the entire NSO + Expansion library.

This isn't true afaik, if you compress some of the smaller games they're barely bigger then N64 games. Though the average is about 600MB.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Just calling it the Switch 2 would be such an easy home run. Follow the PlayStation naming scheme success doing so. I hope they learned their lesson with the Wii U. Why confuse the customer?

Only exception: Super Nintendo Switch ♥️

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
Even if it's true that a 1080p resolution is worse for AAA and big productions in general (although this is just speculation btw) why should it matter? I welcome anything that makes games from smaller devs and indies look more crisp. They are the ones who supported Switch the most in the first place.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's true that a 1080p resolution is worse for AAA and big productions in general (although this is just speculation btw) why should it matter? I welcome anything that makes games from smaller devs and indies look more crisp. They are the ones who supported Switch the most in the first place.

It matters from a design standpoint.
It's a waste of ressource. And it's not only an issue for AAA or big productions. There were Nintendo 1st party titles running at sub native res on the handheld screen when it was 720p.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
All these leaks are gettinf me too hyped that I might just pre-order Switch 2ASAP when it gets announced. It seems more and more it'll be BC similar from the DS to 3DS transition with the cartridges. Hope to see more GC remakes on thr Switch 2 though, as well as Xeno X

Besides maybe the Metroids, Zelda's and F-zero, what big GC/Wii games are left to be remade or ported?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yup it will absolutely, especially when the majority of games won't be too demanding at launch. It's going to be funnier seeing people do mental gymnastics when Alan Wake II comes out for the Switch 2 and either people complain about the 1.5 to 2 hour battery life because it's Raytracing in battery mode or they're complaining that it doesn't look as good as other consoles, but ignore the 4+ hour battery life achieved by running the game within the limits to maintain a solid battery life.

I'm expecting a lot of idiotic posts over the years once this thing is out, a lot of people on this forum already seemed incapable of understanding that a portable console might necessarily be significantly less powerful than a pure home console released at roughly the same time and that it doesn't make it "underpowered" or "outdated"

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hand wringing over 1080P makes no sense when the device will have DLSS

I think 720p upscaled to 1080p via a recent DLSS would def result in a cleaner image and more resolvable detail than 720p native. YMMV wrt DLSS artifacts but they'd be the only real tradeoff, and I feel that they'd be less visible than the lower pixel density of a native 720p screen would be.

There's still a battery cost to powering a screen with more pixels (and DLSS to boot), but it's probably negligible compared to the benefits of having that higher res screen, IMO. Having the choice to play Switch 1 games at docked resolutions during handheld play would justify the choice alone for me (though that's far from a given), and low-spec and 2D games (+ UIs in high-spec games) would def benefit from the higher native res.

Either resolution would be fine at an 8" screen size, though. We've come a long way from the absolutely brutal 3DS XL ppi.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Imagine people getting upset about NINTENDO doing anything to push the envelope for once. 1080p with DLSS capability makes sense to me. I'm also not going to immediately pretend like I know something they don't. If the battery life wasn't acceptable they probably wouldn't target it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Imagine people getting upset about NINTENDO doing anything to push the envelope for once. 1080p with DLSS capability makes sense to me. I'm also not going to immediately pretend like I know something they don't. If the battery life wasn't acceptable they probably wouldn't target it.

The problem is that people have this false idea that just having a 1080p screen at all hurts the battery life, when in reality it has virtually no effect on it. Using DLSS might, but it will also make the games look much nicer, especially since it comes with great AA built-in.