Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Even if it's true that a 1080p resolution is worse for AAA and big productions in general (although this is just speculation btw) why should it matter? I welcome anything that makes games from smaller devs and indies look more crisp. They are the ones who supported Switch the most in the first place.
I think it's fine, 1080p consoles have been a thing for a decade now. Devs have tools to make it work especially AAA devs, they just have to spend a little more time optimizing for each platform instead of going for adVance's effects and lighting

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm probably an outlier but I hope one of those buttons is a dedicated gyro reset/recalibration button for motion controls. Would be very useful instead of eating up a traditional input and when mimicking wii-style pointer controls.

Or just be paddles. That would also rock.
I think it'll be mapped as a gyro reset for most multiplat shooters that support it (namely Fortnite & CoD).

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Does something like DLSS, which obviously uses tensor cores, make the games that use to hit a certain resolution, use less power vs running said game at natively, using more of the rest of the gpu resouces any less by a meaningful degree?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does something like DLSS, which obviously uses tensor cores, make the games that use to hit a certain resolution, use less power vs running said game at natively, using more of the rest of the gpu resouces any less by a meaningful degree?
If I'm understanding you correctly, yes. You can upscale from sub-1080p resolutions with DLSS and end up with an image comparable to native 1080p but with extra headroom.

Lol what? If it's packing the rumored tech it will be reasonably more powerful than Steam Deck, and considerably more performant if DLSS is applied on top.

What reason do you have to believe it won't be? Is this just a 'nintendo hardware is underpowered' thing?

Not that it's that big a deal, but I honestly hope that Era disallows one-word replies someday, forum would be better for it. Your post is inoffensive compared to most one-word replies on this site, to be fair, but I've felt that way for a while and I've been meaning to say it.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If the joy cons connect in a new way, I assume we will get a new sound effect to illustrate that and that will be used in directs and stuff. The switch sound effect became iconic and recognizable real fast, so curious how they will follow up on that.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lol what? If it's packing the rumored tech it will be reasonably more powerful than Steam Deck, and considerably more performant if DLSS is applied on top.

What reason do you have to believe it won't be? Is this just a 'nintendo hardware is underpowered' thing?

Not that it's that but a deal but I honestly hope that Era disallows one-word replies someday, forum would be better for it

Not even "rumoured" - we know the hard specs of the chip and it's considerably larger than the Deck SoC. It'll very very likely be manufactured on a notably more efficient process node and use far better RT acceleration and tensor cores for upscaling.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Considering the old Pro controller will still work I'm guessing the 2 new buttons are for quality of life stuff that won't be a detriment for those using the pro controller in online games. I like the recalibration idea.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
This all sounds amazing. And then I remember the launch screen is LCD :( oh well I'm still totally in. I just 100% need backwards compatibility confirmed.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Snap. As the joycons magnetically snap on.

Nintendo Snap. Nintendo Switch: Snap (NSS).

Click also works too.
nintendo-switch-snap.gif

Mobapad official article in English New

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
www.mobapad.com

Switch 2: Nintendo's Next-Gen Gaming Experience Unveiled

Prepare to embark on an adventure with Nintendo's highly anticipated Switch 2, featuring enhanced features, backward compatibility, and innovative design. Stay informed on the latest gaming advancements for an immersive experience like never before awaits!

Now in english --R

The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.

The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.

The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides. Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!

The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the dock will be backwards compatible? I'm not holding my breath but it would be pretty cool.

If not I hope they still sell the dock separately at launch. I love having the ability to play my Switch on both of my TVs

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Considering the old Pro controller will still work I'm guessing the 2 new buttons are for quality of life stuff that won't be a detriment for those using the pro controller in online games. I like the recalibration idea.

I wouldn't guarantee it. I'm sure most games will be playable with a pro controller (certainly multi platform ones)...but I doubt all will be.

In the same way some Switch games are joy-con only, you can pretty much guarantee that a minority of games will only be playable with the new joy-cons (and whatever new innovation they bring).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For the love of God, please just call it the Switch 2.

It's so weird how the Wii U broke some people's perspectives.
Did the idea of the super Nintendo, game boy advance, 3DS, etc, legitimately confuse you? Nintendo traditionally hasn't named things like that and it was never a problem. The Wii U had vastly deeper problems than the name, regardless of whatever they could have alternatively named it. It was a deeply disappointing direction that didn't capitalise on anything the Wii did, didn't appeal to either core or casual gamers, and came burdened by an expensive tablet that pushed the devices price up, and strangely for Nintendo, had little gameplay use that wasn't already done better by their handheld line.

The internets general line of thought that the name was even one of the primary problems the device had, is just completely off target.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Even if it's true that a 1080p resolution is worse for AAA and big productions in general (although this is just speculation btw) why should it matter? I welcome anything that makes games from smaller devs and indies look more crisp. They are the ones who supported Switch the most in the first place.

"Look more crisp" lol.
If you look at a game in 720p on a 720p screen of that size, or if you look at a game in 1080p on a 1080p screen of that size, it makes, literally, no difference to your eyes.
Both games will just look razor sharp native res to you.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird how the Wii U broke some people's perspectives.
Did the idea of the super Nintendo, game boy advance, 3DS, etc, legitimately confuse you? Nintendo traditionally hasn't named things like that and it was never a problem. The Wii U had vastly deeper problems than the name, regardless of whatever they could have alternatively named it. It was a deeply disappointing direction that didn't capitalise on anything the Wii did, didn't appeal to either core or casual gamers, and came burdened by an expensive tablet that pushed the devices price up, and strangely for Nintendo, had little gameplay use that wasn't already done better by their handheld line.

The internets general line of thought that the name was even one of the primary problems the device had, is just completely off target.

It's not going to confuse ME, it has confused consumers in the past to varying degrees. The 3DS confused people, I had to explain to many friends that it was the sequel to the ds and not another minor upgrade like the DSi. I either wasn't born or too young to have an opinion for the other two.

Being unambiguously the next thing is better than having anyone confused.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The things preventing gamecube emulation is that there's vastly more money to be made in ala carte bigger re-releases, that those kind of rereleases are practically required to keep the kind of release calendar that Nintendo would like, and that even if they were to try and do a NSO style release for gamecube, the library is so small they'd make the N64 look like a infinite treasure trove.
That's not remotely true because GameCube had much better 3rd party support.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to confuse ME, it has confused consumers in the past to varying degrees. The 3DS confused people, I had to explain to many friends that it was the sequel to the ds and not another minor upgrade like the DSi. I either wasn't born or too young to have an opinion for the other two.

Being unambiguously the next thing is better than having anyone confused.

Exactly. The angst over the name isn't about us, we're going to know what it is no matter what. Average consumers absolutely do get confused about this stuff though. And yes, my parents absolutely didn't know how a Super Nintendo was any different from the Nintendo we already had, and that was also a simpler time with less hardware out there and with store demos and salespeople to help explain things.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm understanding you correctly, yes. You can upscale from sub-1080p resolutions with DLSS and end up with an image comparable to native 1080p but with extra headroom.

That is what I meant yes, both methods at 1080p as output resolution. Because the screen being 1080p vs 720p using more battery is more due to the games (or on phones apps) having to render at that higher resolution, and not purely because the 1080p panel uses more power itself. So if DLSS allows to run at 1080p using less power then native would ( ofc still would use more then native 720p), it means more headroom and with the increase in power and efficiency of the new hardware/SoC prolly would mean the Switch 2 could get away with a 1080p panel and still be able to get similar batterylife as the original Switch.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Look more crisp" lol.
If you look at a game in 720p on a 720p screen of that size, or if you look at a game in 1080p on a 1080p screen of that size, it makes, literally, no difference to your eyes.
Both games will just look razor sharp native res to you.
lol, no, obvious to anyone that knows what they're talking about but this is complete bullshit, 720p and 1080p do not have "literally, no difference" at 8, or even 7 inches. There's a reason phone manufacturers have made even higher res screens on even smaller devices. You can even boot up Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, the sharpest game I know of on Switch in handheld mode due to them forgetting to change the resolution in the handheld mode profile so it just downsamples from 1080p, and still see resolution limitations of 720p on a 7 inch screen, it would only be more obvious at not downsampled 720p on an 8 inch screen.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Would an 1080p screen been chosen because dlss can scale 540p better to it than to 720p?

I can kida see that be the case, its 4x the scale, just as for docked 1080p to 4k also would be as well.

I feel it has more to do with availability and cost tbh.

Or maybe it is an additional reason to go for 1080p. Both it being cheaper nowadays to procure a ton of such panels vs 720p ones, and that as added bonus itll make it easier to go from 540p-1080p then it would have been to go to 720p.
Plus it is an additional spec increase they can use to advertise, alongside the 4k capabilities vs. the original Switch models.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Because it's the truth.

The important factor here is if a game is native res or not. If it runs in 720 or 1080 on that, basically same screen size makes no difference, especially not for Indie games or 2D games in general.

If I give you 2 phones with the same screen size in your hands, one 1440p, one 1080p with the same games, both running their native res.

You wouldn't see a difference, I promise you, not with that PPI.

lol, no, obvious to anyone that knows what they're talking about but this is complete bullshit, 720p and 1080p do not have "literally, no difference" at 8, or even 7 inches. There's a reason phone manufacturers have made even higher res screens on even smaller devices. You can even boot up Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, the sharpest game I know of on Switch in handheld mode due to them forgetting to change the resolution in the handheld mode profile so it just downsamples from 1080p, and still see resolution limitations of 720p on a 7 inch screen, it would only be more obvious at not downsampled 720p on an 8 inch screen.

I get where you're coming from, but for most games it would barely make any difference to the eye, it's way more important if a game is native res or not, that's the real difference here.

And even then, for such a difference that's really noticable for the eye, low res blurry screen or native res, even then most people and casual players didn't even care about that, this was a lost battle and lost discission on the Switch for so many games. 😮‍💨
In comparison to that, 720p native on 720p screen vs 1080p native on 1080p screen really is such a tiny thing to even notice and it highly depends on the game too, I don't know how could realistically argue against that.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's the truth.

The important factor here is if a game is native res or not. If it runs in 720 or 1080 on that, basically same screen size makes no difference, especially not for Indie games or 2D games in general.

If I give you 2 phones with the same screen size in your hands, one 1440p, one 1080p with the same games, both running their native res.

As someone who's used a range of mobile devices for gaming at varying resolutions, and can often tell the difference pretty clearly, I really think you ought to speak for yourself. 1080p is going to look very nice, and noticeably better than 720p, at that screen size - especially for 2D content, native resolution UIs, and native resolution content (not to mention content upscaled to native res or beyond via DLSS).

Even if 720p would look fine, 1080p is going to look better, and it's not going to be unnoticeable, lol.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's the truth.

You absolutely can tell the difference, I have done something very similar to the situation you're describing with someone making a similar argument and was able to tell every time. I think you know you can because you felt the need to say "especially for 2D games", you either can't tell at all or you can, if you're saying "especially for" anything than you know there is a perceptible difference and wouldn't have felt the need to add that at all if there wasn't. Even for 2D games pixel crawl would be lessened by higher resolutions so you're also wrong there.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
even the difference between a 720p phone and a 1080p phone is very noticeable, to basically everyone. try comparing a budget moto from 2016 to literally anything else at the same screen size. and those screens are smaller than this one will be.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
What's a damping bracket and isnt the OLED stand already as good as it gets? That thing is awesome.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
I can tell the difference of 720p and 1080p on a 8inch display… Am i special?

Also will it REALLY be more powerful of a steam deck while being so much smaller?? That thing is huge and costs way more

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will be disappointed if the next Switch is called anything other than the Super Switch.

Sangral