• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

An Ohio mom accidentally shot her teenage daughter when the girl surprised her by coming home early from college.

Hannah Jones, 18, says she "ran through the door with excitement" to surprise her family at home in Girard — instead terrifying her mom, Renee Jones, who assumed she was an intruder.

"It truly has been a crazy few days, but I am beyond thankful to still be here on this earth today," Jones wrote.

"I sure am lucky to still be here! It still baffles my mind to know that I could be dead, but thankfully I had an angel looking over me that night."

"If you realize someone has a gun for protection, and they're not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it pointed out on Twitter, but there was absolutely nothing "accidental" about this. The shooting was entirely intentional.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
That mom wanted to prove how guns can protect her... almost taking her daughter's life smh.

Though I am grateful the girl is safe

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
She wouldn't be smiling if she was dead. I have heard some of those 911 calls where it happened.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
"If you realize someone has a gun for protection, and they're not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

"and then I flushed the toilette and forgot to tell mom that it's me."

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
How on edge do you have to be to think that this is an appropriate thing? Constantly on the brink of needing a gun for even the slightest situation. Bump in the night. Better git' muh gun. Creaky sound upstairs. Better git' muh gun. Knock on the door. Better load up ol' Betsy with some .45 bees.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so was the door left unlocked or something? If you're the type to carry a gun for self-defense I'd imagine you'd at least lock your doors?
and I know the daughter forgives her mom and all but if I was her I'd start using this as leverage for the rest of my life. "hey, remember the time you blindly shot me three times".

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Imagine shooting at something without properly identifying it first? That's not an accident, it's sheer stupidity, improper training, a lack of care, and attempted manslaughter.

Strip this woman of her firearm immediately.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How on edge do you have to be to think that this is an appropriate thing? Constantly on the brink of needing a gun for even the slightest situation. Bump in the night. Better git' muh gun. Creaky sound upstairs. Better git' muh gun. Knock on the door. Better load up ol' Betsy with some .45 bees.
Its a Mental Illness the American obsession with guns. Its not even about being on edge. Its Lust for the chance to shoot and kill someone. To prove that their obsession is right

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness for the Angel watching over her that night! Mind you, would have been nice if the Angel had stepped in marginally earlier and stopped her mum from shooting her in the first place, but it's all banter amirite. Rember that time you shot me mum! How we laughed.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The picture and the girl's attitude is insane to me. Her mom shot her and here's she's like "Oh well, shit happens, luckily I've got an angel looking out for me." If my mom almost killed me, I sure as shit wouldn't be so joyful about it all.

And that "advice" from the police is insane. Good job blaming the daughter for getting shot, too.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Nothing like waking up your family to announce them you're going to have a glass of water in the middle of the night.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Its Lust for the chance to shoot and kill someone. To prove that their obsession is right

Not going to lie, this is even scarier.

I have never in my life thought about shooting anyone and even thinking about it makes me nauseous. Taking someone's daughter, someone's son just for the sheer thrill.

Oct 27, 2017
"So I just ran in all excited, shouting our old family motto to let Mom know I was home unexpectedly, the one we chant at Christmas time you know 'GIMME ALL YOUR DAMN MONEY' at high volume, and of course I didn't use the key, I just kicked the door in, like we do as a family you know, as Mom always says 'KEYS ARE FOR JERKS' hahaha, what a mad family we are! And it's fiiiiine, I never bent this elbow much anyway"

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The picture and the girl's attitude is insane to me. Her mom shot her and here's she's like "Oh well, shit happens, luckily I've got an angel looking out for me."

And that "advice" from the police is insane. Good job blaming the daughter for getting shot, too.
I mean, consider she was raised by the person who thinks a reasonable response to hearing someone enter your home is to shoot them without even seeing who it is or saying anything. No doubt she's also been raised to believe that God is watching out for her and respecting her elders, even and especially when they're completely in the wrong. That's the only logical explanation for why you wouldn't cut all ties with your paranoid lunatic mom after getting shot by her.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading about a father shooting and killing his son, believing he was an intruder. Guy was only visiting home from college and doing his laundry. It's been years since I read it, but I keep thinking about it every now and then.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Should not have to announce yourself to your own mother like they're the vengeful spirit of the household, lest you incur their wrath

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine laying back too far in bed and having a shotgun fall on your face and blasting your partner away because you forgot to turn the safety on after shooting at beer cans behind your house.

Look, if your wife isn't constantly announcing her presence while she's in the house, sometimes she's going to get annihilated by a shotgun blast from your bed gun. These things happen.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
If I loudly announced every time I got up to get a drink in the middle of the night my parents would have been pissed for interrupting their sleep.
It's insane to me someone would be that on edge in their own home, and to not even try and identity who it is.