• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game allow you to transfer you save data if the regions don't match? I have XX on my Japanese 3DS and I'd like to keep playing the game on my European Switch if I can.
You can set up a JP account on the Switch and get MHXX Switch. It's not the same as getting MHGU, but it's something.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I just got my own Switch -until now I shared it with my brother-, and bought this game with it. This is my first Monster Hunter experience! I'm thrilled.

I have done the most basic tutorial missions, and my brother -that has more experienced since he played some games since Monster Hunter FU and Tri- will wait for me to get some experience and play the game together.

I hope to have a lot of fun with it!

Edit: What art do you recommened for a beginner player like me? What is the vanilla art style?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my own Switch -until now I shared it with my brother-, and bought this game with it. This is my first Monster Hunter experience! I'm thrilled.

I have done the most basic tutorial missions, and my brother -that has more experienced since he played some games since Monster Hunter FU and Tri- will wait for me to get some experience and play the game together.

Edit: What art do you recommened for a beginner player like me? What is the vanilla art style?
Your choice of style affects the abilities of your weapon in different ways, but here's the basic rundown.

Guild is the straightforward style with no gimmicks to it. It allows you to equip 2 arts.
Aerial features a different forward dodge that allows you to vault off of monsters to dodge and/or to use air attacks. 1 art.
Adept gives you the adept dodge/block depending on the weapon, press B for dodge or R for block just before getting hit to do a fancy dodge/block and get a counterattack opportunity. 1 art.
Striker features a trimmed down moveset or removal of a mechanic in exchange for charging your arts faster and allowing you to equip 3 arts.
Valor starts you off with a limited moveset until you build up your valor gauge and temporarily gain very powerful moves. 1 art.
Alchemy gives you a little bit more trimmed down moveset even from striker in exchange for an alchemy barrel that you can use to make unique alchemy items while out on the hunt. 3 arts.

Recommended arts vary by weapon. Absolute Evasion and its variation Absolute Readiness are arguably the best arts in the game and are equippable on any weapon. I tend not to use them because it makes the game too easy for me. lol

Whichever weapon you end up playing, check out Gaijin Hunter's weapon tutorial for it on Youtube, linked in the OP. Great series of tutorials.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Whichever weapon you end up playing, check out Gaijin Hunter's weapon tutorial for it on Youtube, linked in the OP. Great series of tutorials.
Seconding this. The game isn't very good at telling you how weapons work, so it's best to run through some tutorials alongside it.

I'd recommend having a look at this quick breakdown if you haven't already settled on a weapon. Keep in mind that the game is designed so that no weapon is better or worse than the others, so you really can pick one that suits how you want to play.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain

Seconding this. The game isn't very good at telling you how weapons work, so it's best to run through some tutorials alongside it.

I'd recommend having a look at this quick breakdown if you haven't already settled on a weapon. Keep in mind that the game is designed so that no weapon is better or worse than the others, so you really can pick one that suits how you want to play.

Thanks to both of you! I already seen some of the videos you mentioned. I'll watch some more soon

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ended up getting this due to a friend's urging (Aside from dabbling with the demos for the PSP/3DS entries, it's my first proper MH game; I'll probably move on to World when/if I finish this)

I was originally led to believe that pretty much all of the pre World games were kind of obtuse in their own way, but aside from one quest early on involving some ancient berries, I've had no issue. I've been playing as an Adept with a longsword so far, though greatswords look fun, too. I should probably consult that weapon tutorial video.

But yeah, as someone that immensely enjoys getting new, unique weapons with unique appearances in my RPGs, I don't know how I slept on the series so long.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Ended up getting this due to a friend's urging (Aside from dabbling with the demos for the PSP/3DS entries, it's my first proper MH game; I'll probably move on to World when/if I finish this)

I was originally led to believe that pretty much all of the pre World games were kind of obtuse in their own way, but aside from one quest early on involving some ancient berries, I've had no issue. I've been playing as an Adept with a longsword so far, though greatswords look fun, too. I should probably consult that weapon tutorial video.

But yeah, as someone that immensely enjoys getting new, unique weapons with unique appearances in my RPGs, I don't know how I slept on the series so long.
Generations Ultimate is pretty tame on the annoying gathering quests compared to previous entries (unless you're trying to do 100% of the quests... there's just a lot of them but thankfully most aren't required to progress) whereas World just makes them super easy (and there are only a few). I mainly play adept in Generations Ultimate as well, except when I play longsword I go for valor. TBH it's OP af, and that's why. Aerial is pretty good with Great Sword too.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really been able to get into a MH game, and I always feel like I'm missing out.

Currently trying to talk myself out of grabbing this while it's on a rare EU sale.

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
GU doesn't really have a great onboarding for new players. You might want to try World first, or MH4U if you want to try one of the older MHs.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
GU doesn't really have a great onboarding for new players. You might want to try World first, or MH4U if you want to try one of the older MHs.
This is correct. MHW is probably the best for new players, but MH4U is the best of the old style games (for new players and overall quality).

MHG is a great game, though. If you are interested, give it a shot. Just know it's more complex than usual because they added styles/arts. It's a celebration of MH history, and as such is filled to the brim with content.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off MH4U hard when it was sending me after monsters with just a name and I had no idea what I was hunting or where to find it.

Or something like that. My memory may be faulty.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure who thought that Gravios needed to return to Generations Ultimate after skipping out on Generations.

But I hate every fiber of their being. What a shitty monster. I had a bunch of times where it decided to just camp its slow fat ass outside the area boundaries shooting lasers. That's great fucking game design right there.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I am not sure who thought that Gravios needed to return to Generations Ultimate after skipping out on Generations.

But I hate every fiber of their being. What a shitty monster. I had a bunch of times where it decided to just camp its slow fat ass outside the area boundaries shooting lasers. That's great fucking game design right there.
And I could have been worse...could have been black gravios... The master of that nonsense!

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Anyone still playing this? I picked it up after not playing since January because I was waiting for my friends to catch up with me.

Narrator: "They never did."

I just started up with the 7-star Hub quests, and unlocked Guildmarm as my housekeeper, which feels so wrong for some reason.

67582162_10219957033546121_7540601303366369280_o.jpg

I also switched to the Pulse Crusher Core hammer which is really nice.

latest

Looks like Frampt on a stick. What's not to love?

Anyway, I'm trying to get to at least G1 rank so if anyone is up for some hunts, I'm game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Killed Lao Shan Lung urgent with 3 seconds left on the clock. Jesus.
Anyone still playing this? I picked it up after not playing since January because I was waiting for my friends to catch up with me.

I just started up with the 7-star Hub quests, and unlocked Guildmarm as my housekeeper, which feels so wrong for some reason.

latest

Anyway, I'm trying to get to at least G1 rank so if anyone is up for some hunts, I'm game.
I'm still playing! My friend code is SW-3323-3944-5220. I'm at G3 but I'm totally game to play some late high rank or early G Rank stuff.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, fuck G-Rank Valstrax. What was a decently enjoyable high rank fight really becomes a bitch with the added speed and new 360 blade spin follow up after a blade stab.

Should probably go with Dual Blades instead of Hammer since G-Rank Valstrax seems determined to never stop moving his goddamn head.

Edit: Switching to dual blades did the trick. Still a cheesy ass fight and I don't understand how the hell the spin hitbox works.

Last edited:
OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
The spin only hits from mid-range to far. You can be right up to Valstrax and not get hit by that spin.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

latest

Killed Lao Shan Lung urgent with 3 seconds left on the clock. Jesus.

I'm still playing! My friend code is SW-3323-3944-5220. I'm at G3 but I'm totally game to play some late high rank or early G Rank stuff.

Make sure to join the MH discord in the OP. If you post in the 4-Gen-GenU general chat, there should be some people willing to help out with some hunts.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's also worth noting that Valstrax's spin move can be tricky because it goes around twice, but only the second spin will actually connect. The first spin will always go over your hunter's head, but you can avoid getting hit if you roll in close to Valstrax or time your dodge for the second spin.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure to join the MH discord in the OP. If you post in the 4-Gen-GenU general chat, there should be some people willing to help out with some hunts.
Thanks, will do.
The spin only hits from mid-range to far. You can be right up to Valstrax and not get hit by that spin.
Being up close usually avoids the spin, but it's not consistent. Guessing it's because the move pushes Valstrax to one side, or because of elevation issues with the terrain.

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is the first Valstrax hate I've ever seen. It's (imo) one of the most fun fights in the series. Difficult enough to keep you on your toes but not obnoxiously punishing. I really hope it makes it into future titles.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I definitely understand hitbox complaints on valstrax. They are good when he's on perfectly flat land, but any time you are on the tiniest slope, suddenly his wing slam attack hits you even when you are in the safe spot, same for the wing spin. I prefer the G rank AI for sure though. A lot more taunting after the big moves to make the fight feel more consistent.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Can any high rank hunter help me grind galvenues high rank armor and weapon fast, would be much appreciated, my armor is very weak and i want to jump fast to this armor and save alot of time.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, it wasn't even relevant (or current, I guess) at all when the game came out here. It was put in because it's still pretty humorous. Wouldn't say it dates anything, most players probably probably didn't even know it was a meme.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Also why does everything take 40 minutes to kill now aaaaaa

The Mosgharl set has been super versatile and easy to craft but damn shit takes forever to kill even with my lvl 5 hammer and the next upgrade path is still blocked.

I'm at G3 rank btw.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah the urgent G4 Valstrax feels impossible solo. Timed out at 35 minutes and it's not like I wasn't hitting it.

I'm not sure I want to waste another 35 minutes on this thing alone.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Yeah the urgent G4 Valstrax feels impossible solo. Timed out at 35 minutes and it's not like I wasn't hitting it.

I'm not sure I want to waste another 35 minutes on this thing alone.
Work my own soloing? I got a great sword, no element, just that and affinity. It took a LOT to get, but not impossible. I tend to play cautious, however, so valor I think worked the best in that case.

Hope you find a good match though!

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Getting back into this game during quarantine, and it's still very active online. I picked up a new weapon type (Striker Sword and Shield) and it's completely refreshed the game for me... I'm having a ton of fun with the Hunting Arts considering my previous main weapon was restricted to just one (Aerial Insect Glaive). Just got to G2. I want to pick up longsword and dual blades too.

With the recent sale I've been trying to get a few friends into it too, but it feels like a bit of a hard sell when people are coming from World.

Is there a more up-to-date invite link to the Era MH Discord? The one in the OP has expired.

I'd go for this as well.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i played again for a bit and was enjoying valor greatsword but i got bored again

as much as i like the concept of all the monster hunter games i just can never stay interested

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Getting back into this game during quarantine, and it's still very active online. I picked up a new weapon type (Striker Sword and Shield) and it's completely refreshed the game for me... I'm having a ton of fun with the Hunting Arts considering my previous main weapon was restricted to just one (Aerial Insect Glaive). Just got to G2. I want to pick up longsword and dual blades too.

With the recent sale I've been trying to get a few friends into it too, but it feels like a bit of a hard sell when people are coming from World.

I'd go for this as well.

I messaged a mod on the discord, they should invite you soon. Check out the 4U-Gen-GenU channel once you get there. There are a few of us there who would be willing to run whatever you need done.

Anon27

Oct 25, 2017
Just got bought MHGU due to the eshop sale. Can somebody please send me the discord link. The last MH game I played was MH4U on the 3DS

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Games on sale on the eshop. Very tempted to get it as a alternative faster paced game to play between long sessions of Dragon Quest XI.

Any big changes between this and the 3DS one? Thought I saw something about ait ships.
Played the demo and the games looks gorgeous what magic did they do to get it looking this great on the Switch.

Do I need to pay to go online to play this?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Games on sale on the eshop. Very tempted to get it as a alternative faster paced game to play between long sessions of Dragon Quest XI.

Any big changes between this and the 3DS one? Thought I saw something about air ships.
This one has a ton of additional content over vanilla Generations on the 3DS, including a new airship home base (featured in the opening CG intro), plenty of new monsters, more quests, and so on. It's easily a whole game's worth of new stuff.
Do I need to pay to go online to play this?
The game's broken down into two "halves" - a Village portion with quests that can only be done offline with optional AI helpers, and a Hub portion which is more challenging and can be done online, with other players via local multiplayer, or with AI helpers offline. You'll only need to subscribe to Nintendo's online service for doing the Hub quests online.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
This one has a ton of additional content over vanilla Generations on the 3DS, including a new airship home base (featured in the opening CG intro), plenty of new monsters, more quests, and so on. It's easily a whole game's worth of new stuff.

The game's broken down into two "halves" - a Village portion with quests that can only be done offline with optional AI helpers, and a Hub portion which is more challenging and can be done online, with other players via local multiplayer, or with AI helpers offline. You'll only need to subscribe to Nintendo's online service for doing the Hub quests online.

So I'll need to pay to use Nintendo's online service to play online? Bummer.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sorry for the thread bump. I recently found a switch and picked up GU. Figured I'd try to learn charge blade on it, but finding some confusing info: can one go into an AED/super burst from a guard point or not? Can't do it from a guard if I'm not mistaken, but what about a successful GP? Thank you!