• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
only up to rank 4 though, which they're already at

village quests are an easy way to crank out LR materials since the health pools are so low, but once you're at HR in the hub there's no reason to stick around

I would still do them all, you unlock some food and other stuff. One of the food unlocks is way at the end of village and kind of hidden.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the food and other rewards are instrumental enough to warrant going through all the village quests.

I'm replaying the game on PC since that's where I want to play Sunbreak, and I sure won't do a single village quest.

OP
OP
Kanhir

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So bloodblight is basically a retooled version of frenzy?

Edit:
Oh, you can heal even beyond the red bar. So it's like frenzy mixed with the health regen augmentation from MHW.
In that case, I'm expecting that a) Steve's armour set will give you bloodblight, and b) this will be the popular new meta with aggressive playstyles.

Yeah, I can't imagine that Malzeno's set won't have some kind of bonus based on having Bloodblight to shoot up your numbers when inflicted and then overcome. Seregios armor will still probably utilize Bladescale Hone to keep up that gimmick, since "roll to sharpen" is still a rather nice skill that pairs especially well with the more aggressive play of fifth gen.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So uh, there's a picture floating around of Sunbreak's loading screen taken from what looks to be a french version of the game. It was apparently posted on Twitter and then very quickly deleted. Could be fake (though it'd be very impressive if so), but if it isn't, the load screen has a neat tapestry similar to the base game that shows three unrevealed monsters:

- A Rakna-Kadaki subspecies/variant
- Some monster apparently from Frontier
- Gore Magala

Grain of salt and all that, though.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
So uh, there's a picture floating around of Sunbreak's loading screen taken from what looks to be a french version of the game. It was apparently posted on Twitter and then very quickly deleted. Could be fake (though it'd be very impressive if so), but if it isn't, the load screen has a neat tapestry similar to the base game that shows three unrevealed monsters:

- A Rakna-Kadaki subspecies/variant
- Some monster apparently from Frontier
- Gore Magala

Grain of salt and all that, though.
I would love that third one.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
how about you fellas post the screen here then? >_>
I honestly thought I posted it in my initial post, lol. Sorry!

AAdlGaAADVR0.jpg

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Gore has always been the most obvious reveal for tomorrow. Thematically it's perfect for sunbreak on it's aesthetics alone. It also means the obvious shagaru update 2 months from now.

I wish they would use this expansion to experiment more with status. They are already to weak and often ignored on basically every melee weapon, and now that they are introducing potentially 3 new status effects on players, it would be cool for them to finally explore adding another status to weapons. Gives them more unique armor skill set and weapon ramp up opportunities too like all the elders got in rise.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe bringing in the new status effects would be something. Fireblight/iceblight/thunderblight/waterblight on monsters are already in rise, but we don't have a way to apply it to them ourselves.

Other than that, the raw damage loss by adding on status is just way too big. Iceborne sorta did it right by adding poison to a couple weapons that were already great so it was just a bonus.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe bringing in the new status effects would be something. Fireblight/iceblight/thunderblight/waterblight on monsters are already in rise, but we don't have a way to apply it to them ourselves.

Other than that, the raw damage loss by adding on status is just way too big. Iceborne sorta did it right by adding poison to a couple weapons that were already great so it was just a bonus.

Yeah, some rathian weapons where at least viable. But poison overall is such a joke. A full duration of ticks being equivalent to less than a wirebug attack is pathetic. If they won't play with new statuses, they need to add secondary effects to the ones we do have so they have a purpose. Like sleep building up exhaust and tiring monsters out of rage mode, or poison lowering monster damage after the duration ends while building up the new one. Something like that feels small but would be a huge support buff when almost every hit is one shot territory in master rank apexes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I recently bought this in preparation for Sunbreak. Is there a YouTube channel you all recommend that gives a good breakdown of each of the weapons? I remember liking quite a few in the demo but it's been a while.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought this in preparation for Sunbreak. Is there a YouTube channel you all recommend that gives a good breakdown of each of the weapons? I remember liking quite a few in the demo but it's been a while.
Here's a playlist with tutorials for a bunch of weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jscDTUOHdw&list=PLHc2Wj95htvMXfUat_N6wzMswZleBTomK

Here's another one with some more videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR8EW8R6n1E&list=PLuOOsBV4h849knnlFuPCXTuIKgJlpXflZ

I haven't watched them myself but Arekkz is pretty well known at least. They other playlist also looks like it has a bunch of effort put into it.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Those are the two best since GajinHunter isn't realy doing tutorials anymore! (And Arekkz is stopping/changing his too. ☹️)

empo

Jan 27, 2018
very basic overview

yeah arekkz and rurikhan have good videos if you wanna go deeper into a weapon

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
I can vouch for Rurikahn's videos being excellent. It's also worth reading at least a few of the top comments (particularly if he pinned one) because some players who are more dedicated to the weapon chime in with tips/additions/corrections. For instance, the pinned comment for the Longsword video says:

Hello, nice video! Sorry if I might bother you but I wanted to add something you missed in this video I consider important for people who approach LS for the first time:

1) Foresight slash activation requires a min amount of spirit bar in order to work as you intended in the video

2) You always wanna play with QS not only "if you're struggling to land these counters with the Iai Spirit Slash".

3) Quick sheath is not only for the Iai Spirit Slash but it also helps when it comes to speed up your combos. For example, a good combo if you don't have any spirit bar at all is: drawn double slash -> special sheath -> iai slash -> spirit combo.

4) Quick sheath level 3 removes the back step on the animation, so you not only are clearly faster but you also don't go back when sheathing.

5) Double drawn slash gives you hyper armor on the first frames of the unsheathing animation, so you can use it for dodging a monster's roar for example.

There are many other little things I'd like to point out but I think that might be a bit too much considering the target of the video is for beginner LS players.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Gore magala confirmed. Good times. Hope we get shagaru and chaotic too.
They're all so fun fights.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Worst part of a new expansion is having logging into your old character and realizing you don't remember even how to move around, let alone how all your stuff works again.

It seems that they will leave a lot of monsters to updates
I'm honestly amazed they're going as hard as they are with the updates. Even if it's mainly stuff like the endgame subspecies and variants (the rare subspecies update is clearly when we're getting Silver and Gold), they seem to be pretty directly addressing the problems folks had with the base game in terms of engagement without really hampering expectations for what will be there day one if we're getting more reveals in the run-up to launch. They may fall short of GU's total count, but it might be way closer than anyone ever imagined for a gen 5 game.

A preemptive show of condolences for those about to embark upon the Cloudy Moonshard grind once more.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With the return of Lucent, the return of the Forlorn Arena, and there being a bit of a focus on rare species with these updates, Molten has got to make a return as well, right?

It would also be a great time to finally introduce a rare species for Zinogre as it still doesn't have one yet.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm honestly amazed they're going as hard as they are with the updates. Even if it's mainly stuff like the endgame subspecies and variants (the rare subspecies update is clearly when we're getting Silver and Gold), they seem to be pretty directly addressing the problems folks had with the base game in terms of engagement without really hampering expectations for what will be there day one if we're getting more reveals in the run-up to launch. They may fall short of GU's total count, but it might be way closer than anyone ever imagined for a gen 5 game.

A preemptive show of condolences for those about to embark upon the Cloudy Moonshard grind once more.
It's also neat that they're advertising a subspecies for the first update, which should help dampen concerns that Sunbreak would be incomplete at launch like base Rise was (where the first update was Elder Dragons)

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
Wtf ever happened to the monster hunter stories 2 expansion, it was in all the leaks and just sort of disappeared?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
With the return of Lucent, the return of the Forlorn Arena, and there being a bit of a focus on rare species with these updates, Molten has got to make a return as well, right?

It would also be a great time to finally introduce a rare species for Zinogre as it still doesn't have one yet.
It would could be one of the last monsters since zinogre is so popular

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Monster Hunter Rise Humble Bundle coupon stack with the Steam discount? I'm thinking of double dipping on Steam. LOL.

Edit:
Nevermind. Just reread the coupon description. It's only valid if you purchase Rise from the Humble Bundle store.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Super excited about Gore coming back, I wonder if we'll get Shagaru too down the line.

I really hope the equipment from the crustaceans sucks so I don't have to fight them more than once.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
as someone who ISN'T a MonHun veteran (started with World, then played GU on switch, then Rise, that's it) I find it real hard to get excited about "variants".

In fact if I didn't know it was a long standing tradition in the games, I would be even harsher on theirr existence.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who ISN'T a MonHun veteran (started with World, then played GU on switch, then Rise, that's it) I find it real hard to get excited about "variants".

In fact if I didn't know it was a long standing tradition in the games, I would be even harsher on theirr existence.
It really depends on the monster and the variant itself to me. Ruiner Nergy and Furious Rajang felt pretty pointless in Iceborne, but Raging Brachy and Molten Tigrex (in MH4U) are great.