• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
For the final week before Sunbreak I've been doing the extra hard event quests. They've been a really good time to me.
I still got a couple left to go but I'll finish them before Sunbreak I think.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Does G Rank gear generally have more decoration slots? There are so many QoL/Utility ones I'd love to use but I never have room for them.
Before world, not really.
Actually, the answer is yes. Even in 4U and GU, on average the G-rank sets usually had about ~2 more deco slots compared to high rank

GU's G-rank tends to trend higher than 2 more because it's so damn stingy with high rank deco slots, so it has more room to grow in that regard, while opposite is true for 4U, many times just 1 more slot total because high rank armor is already so generous with customization.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Disagree. That's a small effect of there essentially being no formal endgame. Rise online felt dead, mainly because of it's quest by quest matchmaking. It sucks compared to being able to search by monster and the variety of quests, whether they be event/multi/HR alone like it was in world. Instead, we are left to stare at a spinning circle while we hope someone at this exact moment in time is also doing this obscure event quest no one has any reason to do after the first time.

Before world, not really. Slots are entirely determined by the "weight"/cost of the skills it has natively, which makes certain outliers so valuable. It wasn't until the introduction of Beta sets in world that more slots became a thing. Which I don't blame them for avoiding, as the power creep was exasperated by it, especially when weapons started coming with skills it took 4 pieces of a particular set to achieve.

Guess which quest you would always get grouped for in seconds?

Practically any other quest it usually times out. If you repeatedly did same quest you may get lucky. This was near launch on steam. Which is why I said online felt dead. You can't see really any useful filters or see a list. Wanting to help randoms that aren't just doing that one quest to maximize the points per item was pretty brutal in terms of waiting around.

Switch is probably a different story as the last MH on there is GU.

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, the answer is yes. Even in 4U and GU, on average the G-rank sets usually had about ~2 more deco slots compared to high rank

GU's G-rank tends to trend higher than 2 more because it's so damn stingy with high rank deco slots, so it has more room to grow in that regard, while opposite is true for 4U, many times just 1 more slot total because high rank armor is already so generous with customization.

Disagree. Scrolling through kiranico to refresh my memory, grank GU armor looks extremely stingy with armor slots across the board, especially with what Gen 5 did. Obviously, the old point threshold system screws the perception a bit, but I'm not seeing this jump you describe. Typically, the jump was just an additional skill on armor every rank, so 3 on G, slots remained extremely variable depending on the power of the skill on the armor with the slightly lower point pieces getting them over the higher.

It's very unlikely the upcoming master rank armor will see any noticable jump in slot availability with how generous the current system already is on top of whatever the new armor and weapon set skills will likely add

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Disagree. Scrolling through kiranico to refresh my memory, grank GU armor looks extremely stingy with armor slots across the board, especially with what Gen 5 did. Obviously, the old point threshold system screws the perception a bit, but I'm not seeing this jump you describe. Typically, the jump was just an additional skill on armor every rank, so 3 on G, slots remained extremely variable depending on the power of the skill on the armor with the slightly lower point pieces getting them over the higher.

It's very unlikely the upcoming master rank armor will see any noticable jump in slot availability with how generous the current system already is on top of whatever the new armor and weapon set skills will likely add
Yes there is a jump.
Yes GU is stingy by 5th gen standards, and even by 4U standards. Finding a 4U high rank set with like 6-7 deco slots is not super rare, GU dialed it back a fuckton.
And yes the old threshold system is coloring your perception.

G-rank armor sometimes powers up the skills HR already gave above maximum (particularly R/XR armors that are meant for mixed sets), and they almost entirely get rid of negative skills that may also eat decos in case of full sets, or when trying to circumvent game's attempts of powering down synergistic skill combinations (High Rank GU was not happy about me mixing Recovery Speed and Peak Performance for my regen Valor HH)

Let's compare some example armors that have same use between High and G-rank:
Kaiser (Teostra) S and X: 0 -> 2
EX and GX: 0 -> 4

SilverRath and Z: 5 -> 7
EX and GX: 0 -> 3
R and XR: 0 -> 2

There's a pattern. It varies from individual piece to piece, but some armorpieces, when you get G-rank equivalent, have their raw skills particularly boosted, while others remain mostly the same, but get an extra deco slot.

I checked this stuff out back when I went from 4U to GU, and wondered why making mixed sets have the exact skills I wanted, was suddenly so much harder, even taking the newness of my save into account.

I'm not saying FellowTarnished will suddenly get to slot in all their utility skills in Master Rank, but if they already have all the offensive stuff they want in current HR set, getting to slot in 1-2 full utility skills on top in Master Rank is positively guaranteed.

Last edited:

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Ugh I'm so so so tempted to buy this game on Steam.

Put close to 80 hours in on Switch, but I know it'll look and run better on PC, and Sunbreak is around the corner...
Just SUCKS you can't transfer that save, and I'd have to restart from zero. I mean I guess I could mainline things and there'll likely be a bunch of newcomers and stuff since it's 50% on Steam at the moment...

Oct 25, 2017

Put close to 80 hours in on Switch, but I know it'll look and run better on PC, and Sunbreak is around the corner...
Just SUCKS you can't transfer that save, and I'd have to restart from zero. I mean I guess I could mainline things and there'll likely be a bunch of newcomers and stuff since it's 50% on Steam at the moment...
You can use cheat engine and the inventory editor to speed up your progress to match your switch file. You'd still have to speed run the story, but could turn on 1-hit kills to finish quests quickly and edit in everything you need to remake your equipment. Kind of a pain, but you could do all of that in a night and be ready for Sunbreak.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Save editor. Things can get wonky but can be fixed by the normal progression. I had to do this for a friend for World.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
You can use cheat engine and the inventory editor to speed up your progress to match your switch file. You'd still have to speed run the story, but could turn on 1-hit kills to finish quests quickly and edit in everything you need to remake your equipment. Kind of a pain, but you could do all of that in a night and be ready for Sunbreak.
...I should look up how to do cheat engine stuff. I always hear it mentioned but have zero idea how to do it.

Story, god, I wish these games didn't have a story I always hate it, haha. For me these games are 10000000% multiplayer affairs, I only ever do solo stuff for gathering ore and things.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Just read the info dump on sunbreak, the narrative will now shift that it's too hard going by the tweets.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I was really thinking about starting over myself for the same reason. I'm sticking to the Switch version in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the info dump on sunbreak, the narrative will now shift that it's too hard going by the tweets.
I mean... this is what every mh -> g rank game progression is like. world and ice borne was the same rhetoric wise. mh4u and GU didn't have it because we only got the g rank version in the west. both of those are miles ahead of what mh3 was on release anyway

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I almost beaten every quest in the base game. Right now I'm trying to solo the Emergency Apex quests. You just need the patience of a god to collect every spiritbird and not get greedy but they're not as impossible as they seem.

Either way, I got all the guild awards except for the 1000 monster kills award, the one we're you collect 1000 golden bugs, the one for collecting 500 hunting helpers and the gold crown awards. Funny enough, the hardest award to get is winning all those lottery trinkets. Took me 260+ hours of normal gameplay to get them all.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - A Kingdom's Savior (Nintendo Switch & Steam)

From Kamura to the Kingdom, your strongest foes are on the horizon.Set sail for Elgado and take on your biggest adversaries yet in Monster Hunter Rise: #Sunb...

www.youtube.com

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Full Espinas Hunt with Capcom Commentary

Hungry for more Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak gameplay after the June Nintendo Direct? Get a first look at extended gameplay of a full Espinas hunt in Monste...

OP
OP
Kanhir

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, I got all the guild awards except for the 1000 monster kills award, the one we're you collect 1000 golden bugs, the one for collecting 500 hunting helpers and the gold crown awards. Funny enough, the hardest award to get is winning all those lottery trinkets. Took me 260+ hours of normal gameplay to get them all.
I couldn't imagine doing the lottery one. In all my hours of play I still only have like three of them.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't imagine doing the lottery one. In all my hours of play I still only have like three of them.

I got really lucky I guess. I did spam that 1* village quest you can beat in a minute for the last trinket though.

According to the big patch notes Capcom just dropped for Sunbreak, the lottery is getting some changes. Hopefully they made it less of a nightmare to collect them all.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Maybe I got lucky but I emptied out the lottery long before I even got around to collecting all the scrolls. At least the award happens naturally over time no matter how you like to play. I'd take it any day over the rampage, bug, helper and crown checklists which take longer and also require you to go out of your way compared to what you'd actually prefer to do.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
nice I guess but I just want to be able to get rid of the weird sharp edge to the shadow/ssao or whatever it is

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I just managed to solo the Apex Rathalos Emergency, super happy with that! 31 minutes with zero carts. That just leaves me with Advanced: Born of Paradise, Apex Diablos Emergency, Advanced: Crimson Calamity and Apex Zinogre Emergency to do and I'll have every quest and event complete. The Zinogre is my biggest worry as he has destroyed me multiple times already.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just managed to solo the Apex Rathalos Emergency, super happy with that! 31 minutes with zero carts. That just leaves me with Advanced: Born of Paradise, Apex Diablos Emergency, Advanced: Crimson Calamity and Apex Zinogre Emergency to do and I'll have every quest and event complete. The Zinogre is my biggest worry as he has destroyed me multiple times already.

I caught up and solo'd everything as well. Honestly, Valstrex was the one who gave me the most trouble for the Adavnced quests. Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary. Good luck to you!

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I caught up and solo'd everything as well. Honestly, Valstrex was the one who gave me the most trouble for the Adavnced quests. Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary. Good luck to you!

It's always humbling when you go onto Youtube and see someone solo it in under 6 minutes lol. I need to up my game apparently.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to come back to those later. I'll just register my HR set, but I don't want to burn out on the game before Sunbreak dropped. I tried advanced Val, and it felt like it would be a fun fight to learn even if I did very little except get beaten around.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
6mins? more like 3mins and im here doing 20min+ hunts lol

Keep in mind that those runs are extremely cherry picked out of hundreds, they fish for perfect spawns, use every item at their disposal, restart if they get unlucky with RNG and so on, it's not like they boot up the game and start doing 3-4 minute runs.

I consider doing sub 10 minute 7* hunts pretty good for myself lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that those runs are extremely cherry picked out of hundreds, they fish for perfect spawns, use every item at their disposal, restart if they get unlucky with RNG and so on, it's not like they boot up the game and start doing 3-4 minute runs.

I consider doing sub 10 minute 7* hunts pretty good for myself lol.

counter point: I'm just shit :D

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I've gradually been catching up in the PC version but not quite where I was on Switch - and only on one weapon.

Once the new Sunbreak content is in, I'm curious - does that content create a new "start" point in the weapon trees if I want to play with a different weapon, or will I have to craft up a whole load of stuff?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I've gradually been catching up in the PC version but not quite where I was on Switch - and only on one weapon.

Once the new Sunbreak content is in, I'm curious - does that content create a new "start" point in the weapon trees if I want to play with a different weapon, or will I have to craft up a whole load of stuff?
There's a bit of both. You will be able to craft some weapons but it'll help to have the high rank versions already.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Update should be downloaded by the time I get home I'm just curious if anybody had any luck in the states with a sun break amiibos GameStop doesn't even have it in their system and Best buy had them but this morning they didn't have any stock...

Looking forward to it regardless but I always like getting those things. And plushies. Lord of those lol

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
guess i am still not playing till tomorrow 24hr and the switch has only downloaded 39% and i have no clue how to fix it it's always like this but this time seems even slower

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
So I started playing last weekend with a friend. We are currently HR4 and doing fine so far. Got a lot of hours poured into World and Iceborne, it´s interesting to experience the new mechanics.

We are currently primarily doing the Hub Quests due to the village quests being single player. What would be the best way to play them and also move the story along? I also guess that certain items etc. are bound to them? I saw some streamers doing part village and part hub quests.

Also, what event quests should we be looking for?

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing last weekend with a friend. We are currently HR4 and doing fine so far. Got a lot of hours poured into World and Iceborne, it´s interesting to experience the new mechanics.

We are currently primarily doing the Hub Quests due to the village quests being single player. What would be the best way to play them and also move the story along? I also guess that certain items etc. are bound to them? I saw some streamers doing part village and part hub quests.

Also, what event quests should we be looking for?

Some dango quests are tied to village only (the Dango Slugger one in particular). Not sure if there's anything tied specifically to Low Rank hub, though you're already in HR so I guess that doesn't matter at this point.

Event quests for special rewards you can check here. Only other thing of note is they are the easiest way to fight the Apex monsters without unlocking them through rampages; just avoid the ones with 'Emergency' in the name unless you're in MR gear or you want a challenge.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Some dango quests are tied to village only (the Dango Slugger one in particular). Not sure if there's anything tied specifically to Low Rank hub, though you're already in HR so I guess that doesn't matter at this point.

Event quests for special rewards you can check here. Only other thing of note is they are the easiest way to fight the Apex monsters without unlocking them through rampages; just avoid the ones with 'Emergency' in the name unless you're in MR gear or you want a challenge.
Thank you for your replay. Sorry for my late response, got a lot on my plate right now.

We managed to reach the end of base MH Rise yesterday and are now on our way to HR 20. When is a good time to jump into sunbreak? I would love to see HR50 and HR100 but thats a lot of farming. As I´m seeing it there is a new monster at 20 and then at 100 for us, due to our experiences in world and iceborne.

If we start sunbreak, does our Hunter Rank still rise for the base game? So that maybe we can come back to those bosses? We wanna at least push to HR20, farm some gear and weapons we like but HR30 and HR40 seems to be kuschala and teostra and then 50 is rematch against those two screaming wind serpents?

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
If we start sunbreak, does our Hunter Rank still rise for the base game? So that maybe we can come back to those bosses? We wanna at least push to HR20, farm some gear and weapons we like but HR30 and HR40 seems to be kuschala and teostra and then 50 is rematch against those two screaming wind serpents?
Yes, your HR will keep increasing.

And yes, HR50 is technically a rematch, but actually the proper fight with material that makes the sky serpent armors actually not garbage. Still not GREAT, but afterwards, the armors, if upgraded far enough, will give 3 points of the random singular skills they have while wearing 5 sky serpent pieces, rather than just 1 point.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Nice

Yes, your HR will keep increasing.

And yes, HR50 is technically a rematch, but actually the proper fight with material that makes the sky serpent armors actually not garbage. Still not GREAT, but afterwards, the armors, if upgraded far enough, will give 3 points of the random singular skills they have while wearing 5 sky serpent pieces, rather than just 1 point.
Yeah I was a bit dissapointed with the set ... I made one for my palamute and palico with scraps but that´s about it.

So, push on to HR20 and then of to sunbreak? I figure it takes a lot of hunts from 20 to 50.

Ah and we will do the two elder quests he gave us, think they unlock new petalace.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
So, push on to HR20 and then of to sunbreak? I figure it takes a lot of hunts from 20 to 50.

Ah and we will do the two elder quests he gave us, think they unlock new petalace.
Dunno if there's that much reason to really stretch vanilla Rise longevity with Sunbreak installed. The elder dragons will unlock some strong decoration options and Rarity 7 weapon upgrades, and the armor pieces are strong enough to let you go through MR1-2 without really needing to grind up a new set, but that's it. You could just leap into Sunbreak with your gear in a state where every new Master Rank hunt is potentially start of farming up a brand new set.

That said, the grind to HR50 doesn't take horribly long either if you do endgame Rampages as a group. Each gives a handful of rank-ups.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Dunno if there's that much reason to really stretch vanilla Rise longevity with Sunbreak installed. The elder dragons will unlock some strong decoration options and Rarity 7 weapon upgrades, and the armor pieces are strong enough to let you go through MR1-2 without really needing to grind up a new set, but that's it. You could just leap into Sunbreak with your gear in a state where every new Master Rank hunt is potentially start of farming up a brand new set.

That said, the grind to HR50 doesn't take horribly long either if you do endgame Rampages as a group. Each gives a handful of rank-ups.
We haven´t bought sunbreak yet. We wanted to cross that bridge once we reached the end of the story / we didn´t spoil ourself about anything including the title upgrades. I just looked em up today.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
We haven´t bought sunbreak yet. We wanted to cross that bridge once we reached the end of the story / we didn´t spoil ourself about anything including the title upgrades. I just looked em up today.
Aah, fair. Well, basically any point after HR8 is a good point to jump on, you will see Rise title update monsters in Sunbreak anyway, but doing a bit of extra farming in base Rise will help out in Sunbreak too, since the talismans you can get in Rise can be relevant even in Sunbreak endgame.

I had like a Partbreaker 2, Divine Blessing 1, 3-2 slot talisman in base Rise that I wore as my main until I was fair bit into Sunbreak endgame.