Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That's what makes it so weird though lol, cause that ISN'T the end of low rank - village quests still go through 5* and 6*, both of which are still low rank :p
High rank stuff is only in the hub, which is what makes the village structure so weird. Why have the credits 2/3 of the way through and then just have it... not end? Loving the game so far but the village quests are really strange
Probably because you defeat the monster in the game's cover at that point.

But then I'm not sure why they didn't make Magnamalo a 6* in the first place.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Loved World and got 1.5k hours on it. Thinking about buying a Switch just for this. Someone justify this for me.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Do I need to upgrade the melding pot or is it random the level of talisman you get? Haven't felt like wasting time and resources for a single 1 level talisman for skills.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's more Monster Hunter!
tenor.gif

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Almudron is probably the best thing that happened to MH in this generation, I love it

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to get really annoyed by the sliding. Half the time it's barely a down gradient and you just start sliding like you're on a ski slope.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Joined two random games to try and beat this fucking urgent Rampage quest and i cannot beat it. What am I doing wrong ?

Beginner’s guide to rampage mode

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just to help anyone out who's struggling with it, this is what I do, and it works for single player too, although I'm still learning. I'll likely update my plan over time, but this works for me at the moment

1) use the prep time to zip around the frontline area and find the dragonator/Wyvernfire switch, eyeball where the dragonator attack (huge spikes set in the walls etc) will come from so you know the killzone. Wyvernfire is an area attack that you target directly when you press the switch. Notice where the furnace is in the area. Using it reduces prep time for special weapons and turret repairs. You can't stoke it before the first wave, but you can in between waves. Do this. Mark where the counterattack gong is. Make a rough plan in your head of where these all are, Then start placing installations. You've got time.
2) put down bombs in the ground installations.
3) Ballistas- crew one of these to start with. Go for the head with the special ammo.
4) fill out any unused installations with auto turrets. Have a look to see where other hunters seem to want to crew something and work around them, but ideally crew the ones near the dragonator/wyvernfire/counter signal.
When you're ready, press the right stick to start the wave early if everyone is good to go.

When the first line of turrets are getting overwhelmed and the artillery isn't putting down enough fire to stop monsters getting past the halfway point between the frontline and the gate, sound the counter signal. The special weapons need good timing (and aim in the case of wyvernfire), which is why they need someone to babysit them and take advantage when they become available. Save them for the final boss, but timing is critical, particularly with dragonators. For ones in earlier areas it will run past them quickly and you need to be ready.
If dragonators have been used on the monsters, stoking the furnace is a good use of a couple of seconds if you are heading past it.

With the first wave down, you've likely had a ton of upgrades available. Swap ballistas to cannons and then machine guns, crew one of the latter yourself if you can as they are hella effective. Upgrade the ground installations to the village characters if they become available. The dragon bait is to use on the ground installations directly in front of dragonators- it's to gather large monsters there for enough time for you to hit the switch.
If you've picked up any monster drops that are bombs, place them somewhere where they'll be useful- next to bamboo bombs is good. You can drop your own traps and bombs too if you're feeling fancy.

When the counter signal is up, get in there and take stuff out on the ground, starting with the monster closest to the gate. However, if most of the monsters are flying and you have a machine gun turret in good nick, there's something to be said for one of you still providing covering fire. In single player, get down there and hunt.
When the chef becomes available, she's a good turret to install as it's an auto machine gun- get this up and running on the final boss.
Fugen acts as a sort-of smart bomb, he's a good one to save for the apex.
Apex monsters hit like a ton of bricks, and carting costs time. In multiplayer, don't be afraid to crew a turret if you can contribute more that way, but in single player you'll have to directly counter it yourself.

If the Apex crashes through into the final area, it's worth dashing around and setting up auto turrets quickly, using any wyvernfire that's available and then stoking the furnace (you might get a second use) particularly if there isn't a counter signal up. Do that, then bash the signal.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Loved World and got 1.5k hours on it. Thinking about buying a Switch just for this. Someone justify this for me.
World was my first Monster Hunter and I loved it. I've enjoyed Rise so much more than World. But one game can't justify an entire console purchase in my opinion. Luckily, if you buy a Switch, you'll also gain access to a bunch of other incredible games.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you can just set all of the installations to automatic and then run around on foot during Rampages fighting monsters like normal, only in a Rampage you apparently do more damage. I might try that next time -- I played two Rampages and they were decently fun turret shooters, but I think letting the turrets fire themselves and going around whacking monsters up close might be more efficient.

Mar 11, 2021
Joined two random games to try and beat this fucking urgent Rampage quest and i cannot beat it. What am I doing wrong ?
I am no expert, but I would try to make sure all installations have auto weapons installed except for like one. Install a mounted ballista there. Spend most of your time on the vallista and use all types of ammo on the monsters. When the counter signal is fired or gong is hit, go down and use your weapon. When the time is over, go back up to the mounted ballista. Rinse and repeat.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Rampage is growing on me now I pretty much understand it, it was just so poorly explained. Just did a couple of 7* runs, it's a lot of fun with a team where at least a couple of you know what to do and when. I guess it's just a case of the community teaching and learning bit by bit, like Jhen Moran in Tri.

Just to help anyone out who's struggling with it, this is what I do, and it works for single player too, although I'm still learning. I'll likely update my plan over time, but this works for me at the moment

1) use the prep time to zip around the frontline area and find the dragonator/Wyvernfire switch, eyeball where the dragonator attack (huge spikes set in the walls etc) will come from so you know the killzone. Wyvernfire is an area attack that you target directly when you press the switch. Notice where the furnace is in the area. Using it reduces prep time for special weapons and turret reloads. You can't stoke it before the first wave, but you can in between waves. Do this. Mark where the counterattack gong is. Make a rough plan in your head of where these all are, Then start placing installations. You've got time.
2) put down bombs in the ground installations.
3) Ballistas- crew one of these to start with. Go for the head with the special ammo.
4) fill out any unused installations with auto turrets. Have a look to see where other hunters seem to want to crew something and work around them, but ideally crew the ones near the dragonator/wyvernfire/counter signal.
When you're ready, press the right stick to start the wave early if everyone is good to go.

When the first line of turrets are getting overwhelmed and the artillery isn't putting down enough fire to stop monsters getting past the halfway point between the frontline and the gate, sound the counter signal. The special weapons need good timing (and aim in the case of wyvernfire), which is why they need someone to babysit them and take advantage when they become available.
Stoking the furnace is a good use of a couple of seconds if you are heading past it.

With the first wave down, you've likely had a ton of upgrades available. Swap ballistas to cannons and then machine guns, crew one of the latter yourself if you can as they are hella effective. Upgrade the ground installations to the village characters if they become available.

When the counter signal is up, get in there and take stuff out on the ground, starting with the monster closest to the gate. However, if most of the monsters are flying and you have a machine gun turret in good nick, there's something to be said for one of you still providing covering fire. In single player, get down there and hunt.

Apex monsters hit like a ton of bricks, and carting costs time. In multiplayer, don't be afraid to crew a turret if you can contribute more that way, but in single player you'll have to directly counter it yourself.

If the Apex crashes through into the final area, it's worth dashing around and setting up auto turrets quickly and stoking the furnace, particularly if there isn't a counter signal up. Do that, then bash the signal.
All good tips and this is exactly how the rampages should be played. Unfortunately that's pretty much the only way to play them. I really hate this mode because it's so long and so repetitive.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you can just set all of the installations to automatic and then run around on foot during Rampages fighting monsters like normal, only in a Rampage you apparently do more damage. I might try that next time -- I played two Rampages and they were decently fun turret shooters, but I think letting the turrets fire themselves and going around whacking monsters up close might be more efficient.
That would end poorly. The attack boost only happens while the counter signal is up, and that only happens at the end of a wave when the big boss shows up.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Trap tools can't be crafted, but you can craft the traps and tranq bombs. For tranq bombs, have your buddies farm (argosy trading) para shrooms and sleep herbs.

Create nets with spider webs and ivy, and combine nets with trap tools to make pitfall traps. For shock traps, you'll need trap tools and thunder bugs.

Ideally, you're only buying trap tools when they are on sale, and crafting from there.

Oh, and farm items to make large and mega barrel bombs. Scatterfish and large barrel bombs to make the megas. I think it's nitroshroom or gunpowder to make large barrel bombs.
Thanks for breaking it down simple lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have not really messed with traps, barrels, etc. at all yet. I'm currently in 4* quests. I'm probably going to regret this at some point, I'm guessing?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for breaking it down simple lol
What I do is send a buddy to trade for thunderbugs en-masse. I then buy dozens of trap tools when they are on sale to then combine into cheap and simple shock traps. I tend to keep an equal number of pitfall traps in stock and carry one of each, in case the monster flees from one or I run into a zinogre :D

Speaking of trap immunity, I do find it funny that shock traps work on several other electric-themed beasts, and also that pitfall traps work on some tunnelling/Earth-themed monsters. I managed to get Almudron with a pitfall trap dug into the same mud it can swim through, how does that work :D

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I have not really messed with traps, barrels, etc. at all yet. I'm currently in 4* quests. I'm probably going to regret this at some point, I'm guessing?
nah I have only set up a trap in the only capture quest so far and have not used a barrel yet despite spamming both of them on MHGU , its just not that difficult so far,
traps and Barrel are kind of desperate measures when the fight is harder than expected or at risk of being lost if you ask me. Barrels in particular are mostly useful when you can sleep the monster and no idiot wakes them, which is a lost art in multiplayer it seems.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
PC version isn't until next year though, right? Glad I didn't wait; kinda like playing now when things are still new/fresh for everyone. But I see the appeal of playing on more powerful hardware.

Not really. I never use bombs and I only ever use traps to capture monsters.
nah I have only set up a trap in the only capture quest so far and have not used a barrel yet despite spamming both of them on MHGU , its just not that difficult so far, traps and Barrel are kind of desperate measures when the fight is harder than expected or at risk of being lost if you ask me. Barrels in particular are mostly useful when you can sleep the monster and no idiot wakes them, which is a lost art in multiplayer it seems.
OK cool -- thanks both! I look at certain items in my inventory, picking up materials, etc. and that voice in my head is like, "You should probably stop and look into what this stuff is good for," but I just keep on riding/drifting my Palamute around like an idiot. LOL

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I figured out Rampage by just joining other people's SOS or whatever it's called in this game. I don't think I've ever tried to post my own, or solo it other than the first Village one.

One thing that sank in rather quickly is some of the Apex monsters have a super move they have to power up while standing in front of the final gate. It's...REAL obvious, and is the only thing I've seen that results in mission failure if you let them do it too much. Anyways, the splitting wyvernshot cannon is conveniently aimed right at that spot. You'd think this would lead people to put 2 and 2 together but yeah, make sure you use it at the right time.

Practice capturing at least. For your first time, beat on the monster until it runs off to sleep, and let it do so. Then use 2 tranq bombs while standing on top of it, and drop a trap on its head. Once you get used to capturing it can be faster than killing since you can just trap and tranq it as soon as you notice it's weak (in this game they just straight up put a blue icon under the monster icon). Traps can also be used for damage, different monsters react differently to the 2 types of trap so it can't hurt to experiment.

Barrel bombs are usually used to wake up a sleeping monster, but they're kinda overkill in this game. I do put sleep weapons on both my cat and dog out of habit though. Remember the first hit of damage on a sleeping target gets a bonus to damage, so something like a Mega Barrel Bomb or Greatsword charge will do massive damage. As for setting off the bomb, I bet kunai would work fine (haven't tried it)

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a little secret in the buddy area that made me smile after all the verticality in the maps:

The main tree can be climbed at the back and there is a cahoot nest with some items - I wonder if it refreshes periodically.
yes it refreshes by doing missions, but I advise you to collect the stuff only when you see two golden eggs, that's when you reach the maximum bounty

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Practice capturing at least. For your first time, beat on the monster until it runs off to sleep, and let it do so. Then use 2 tranq bombs while standing on top of it, and drop a trap on its head. Once you get used to capturing it can be faster than killing since you can just trap and tranq it as soon as you notice it's weak (in this game they just straight up put a blue icon under the monster icon). Traps can also be used for damage, different monsters react differently to the 2 types of trap so it can't hurt to experiment.

Barrel bombs are usually used to wake up a sleeping monster, but they're kinda overkill in this game. I do put sleep weapons on both my cat and dog out of habit though. Remember the first hit of damage on a sleeping target gets a bonus to damage, so something like a Mega Barrel Bomb or Greatsword charge will do massive damage. As for setting off the bomb, I bet kunai would work fine (haven't tried it)
Good stuff, thank you! I am keeping the capture knowledge in the back of my head from the training mission for when I need or want to try it; maybe I'll practice capturing on some of the earlier zone bosses, since I'm able to take them out quickly now and with minimal damage to myself. I'll probably have to look at some wikis to see what different types of mats you get for capturing vs. kill if I do end up getting that into it over time.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff, thank you! I am keeping the capture knowledge in the back of my head from the training mission for when I need or want to try it; maybe I'll practice capturing on some of the earlier zone bosses, since I'm able to take them out quickly now and with minimal damage to myself. I'll probably have to look at some wikis to see what different types of mats you get for capturing vs. kill if I do end up getting that into it over time.
No need to look at a wiki anymore. All that info is right in your hunter's notes, complete with percentages.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so having a tough time picking a weapon! Is the greatsword fun to play? It's the MH weapon that I think of as representing MH, but every time I've tried it, it's seemed boring.

I feel like if I pick it as my first main weapon, I'll figure out the nuances. But this isn't the one where it's "don't pick greatsword, they suck" or anything, right? Greatsword is good and I'm not missing out on the most fun weapon or making things hard for myself?

I tend to only use one weapon in each MH, so this determines my next 40 hours!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bombs aren't essential at all, but are fun when combined with sleep/paralysis builds. Traps and tranqs you'll want to learn at some point as some quests are capture quests, but it's easier than ever now all monsters directly indicate both on the map (flashing) and under their icon in the top right (a blue alert) that they are in a trappable state.
Essentially, figure out how to make or buy shock traps (thunderbug + trap tool) and pitfall trap (ivy/spiderweb= net, + trap tool). Placing one on the ground will give a marker, either an electric burst or a circular area. Lure the monster into the trap (you can use bait but most people just run to the other side of the trap and wait).
When it's trapped, you've got a few seconds to drop tranq bombs next to it (it takes 2) or fire tranq ammo etc. You can craft them too, or buy them. They aren't always available in the shop but when they are, and are on sale, I sell a stack of materials and buy loads of them.

Carry both traps, sometimes you'll place one and the monster flees, in which case you can just press A on the trap to destroy it, as you can't have more than one in play. Learning to trap will save you time on your hunts. It'll also net you more materials, but against strong opposition ending the hunt with a trap also reduces the possibility of failing the hunt in the last two minutes by people getting sloppy after a long fight. If 2 have carted already, I always trap the monster, although I have noticed way less people carting in this than previous games.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say regret, but it's good to get comfortable using them, they can help a lot. Know that capturing can help speed up the hunt, and can even give you more rewards/parts (although you might need to carve for certain monster parts). And setting off a couple of mega barrel bombs while they're trapped can usually do more damage than you just swinging at it (and feels pretty satisfying).

For tougher fights, it helps to set bombs for the initial trap, and then use a second trap to tranq/capture them. When laying bombs on your first trap, there's usually enough time to lay down two large barrels (the reddish colored ones, ideally the mega barrel bombs), followed by one smaller yellow barrel, which is used to ignite and set off the larger barrels (as the red barrels don't explode on their own). If you're not sure what to do, definitely look up a video on this.

Also, a good approach to the monster is to run up to them with your dog, jumping, then hopping off your dog and pressing Y/use (with a large barrel selected) as you're right above the monster. This throws the barrel directly beneath you, and causes it to explode on contact.

Oct 26, 2017
"You beat Magnamalo! Take my sword and my job AH-HAHAHAHAHA"

*Magnamalo is now free roaming every other 5 star hunt*

😭

Edit: Oh yeah, for those unaware. Be sure to keep checking the shrine in the buddy area. It finally opened for me.
The most blizzare part about this nonsense is that low rank magnamola only has half his move set

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
have the equipped armor and the cosmetic armor be completely separate. Make any armor turnable into layered armor, require some difficult to get endgame currency to do it, and you have an endgame right there!

That's basically EXACTLY how MHW did it lol. And yes, this game really needs it back. I had several pages of just layered armor loadouts in MHW since each monster had 2 sets of armor and there were lots of viable mixed set options that looked great.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the gameplay is ace but coming from Tri, I'm so overwhelmed by the weapon and skill management/UI. Nothing is well explained and everything is represented by tiny icons. The tree is confusing, the rules to unlocking branches are vague, and half the time not sure what I already have vs. what's new. As for skills, I'm struggling understanding what's contributing to what. For now, I'm mostly focused on on equipment set buffs and skills. Buddies and other stuff are over my head.

I can't wait for the Wikis to be fleshed out.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
No need to look at a wiki anymore. All that info is right in your hunter's notes, complete with percentages.
Good point! I think I just inadvertently exposed the fact that I haven't looked at the hunter notes that closely yet. LOL

Bombs aren't essential at all, but are fun when combined with sleep/paralysis builds. Traps and tranqs you'll want to learn at some point as some quests are capture quests, but it's easier than ever now all monsters directly indicate both on the map (flashing) and under their icon in the top right (a blue alert) that they are in a trappable state.
Essentially, figure out how to make or buy shock traps (thunderbug + trap tool) and pitfall trap (ivy/spiderweb= net, + trap tool). Placing one on the ground will give a marker, either an electric burst or a circular area. Lure the monster into the trap (you can use bait but most people just run to the other side of the trap and wait).
When it's trapped, you've got a few seconds to drop tranq bombs next to it (it takes 2) or fire tranq ammo etc. You can craft them too, or buy them. They aren't always available in the shop but when they are, and are on sale, I sell a stack of materials and buy loads of them.

Carry both traps, sometimes you'll place one and the monster flees, in which case you can just press A on the trap to destroy it, as you can't have more than one in play. Learning to trap will save you time on your hunts. It'll also net you more materials, but against strong opposition ending the hunt with a trap also reduces the possibility of failing the hunt in the last two minutes by people getting sloppy after a long fight. If 2 have carted already, I always trap the monster, although I have noticed way less people carting in this than previous games.
I wouldn't say regret, but it's good to get comfortable using them, they can help a lot. Know that capturing can help speed up the hunt, and can even give you more rewards/parts (although you might need to carve for certain monster parts). And setting off a couple of mega barrel bombs while they're trapped can usually do more damage than you just swinging at it (and feels pretty satisfying).

For tougher fights, it helps to set bombs for the initial trap, and then use a second trap to tranq/capture them. When laying bombs on your first trap, there's usually enough time to lay down two large barrels (the reddish colored ones, ideally the mega barrel bombs), followed by one smaller yellow barrel, which is used to ignite and set off the larger barrels (as the red barrels don't explode on their own). If you're not sure what to do, definitely look up a video on this.

Also, a good approach to the monster is to run up to them with your dog, jumping, then hopping off your dog and pressing Y/use (with a large barrel selected) as you're right above the monster. This throws the barrel directly beneath you, and causes it to explode on contact.
Thanks both! I'm excited to mess around with these techniques later. This game consumes my thoughts to the point where I'm counting down the minutes until I can play again. :) I was pretty excited when I pulled off that jumping > demon mode > attack down the monster spine combo with the dual blades. Game gives me a bit of that fighting game feel in that practicing and pulling off button combos with the right timing/positioning feels really rewarding.