• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I finished The Stars Are Legion last night, which completes my 40-book Goodreads target. I'm not doing the challenge next year because I can't help but obsess over it and be wary of starting anything longer than 500 pages. I'll celebrate my liberation with Oathbringer. Feels good to be starting on a book that's big enough to kill a man (if I wasn't reading on Kindle).

legionmwjqx.jpg

(LOVE that cover.)

But to return to what I just read, it was a really interesting take on space opera. It's about a dying civilisation of women living on a cluster of organic planet-ships called the Legion, warring with each other as they conquer other worlds to cannibalise them for resources and influence.

What surprised me is it's loaded with body horror. The worlds are living things and the people on them essentially have a mutually beneficial parasitic relationship, where they give birth to spare parts and are 'recycled' into organic matter when they die.

I also like that it's epic sci-fi that's a single, self-contained, standalone novel and isn't a burgeoning trilogy or bigger. Not that I'm about to read Oathbringer or anything...

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just a little side note, if anyone who is reading We Were Eight Years in Power hasn't read Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, I would highly recommend it.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Open Season, the first novel in Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.
images

I picked it up, because I really like Longmire (both novels and tv show) and Wind River is one of my favorite movies this year and it's been couple times described to me as "Joe Pickett movie in anything but name". Overall I enjoyed it. Nothing special, I would rate it 3/5, but it was short fun read with decent crime puzzle that's been slightly elevated by the fact that the main character wasn't sheriff, but U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Agent. What dissapointed me was the setting. In theory it's amazing, but the novel failed to make use of it effectively. It was just backtrop and the action could have been set anywhere else where there are hunters

Anyway, I didn't like it enough to immiedietelly start next entry in the series, but I will probably get to it in few weeks or months, especially since most crime series improve a lot as they go by and the recent Pickett novels have been getting rave reviews.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
So, apparently the web serial Worm has a sequel that's just launching. I pretty much fell in love with Worm when I read it, so now I'll be reading the sequel...week by agonizing week. I'm so thrilled, though. I never post in this thread, but I wanted to post about it somewhere because I'm geeking out, and this seemed like the most appropriate. Hope I'm not out of place!

Anyway, sooooo excited!

CylonToaster

Oct 25, 2017
Greece

Just started SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard.

I wanted a book about the rise and growth of ancient Rome and this seemed pretty approachable.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Almost trough A Column of Fire, of which I allready gave my thoughts a few pages back. Will be glad it's over, even though I'm happy I stuck with it, as the history side of things does interest me (I often go to Wikipedia after reading a chapter, just to have more background about the stuff happening).

Was planning to start Belle Sauvage afterwards, but I just realized the first tome of The murder of Commendatore by Murakami, releases in Dutch translation (my native language) in two weeks. So I'll probably wait for that, so I can start immidiatly. Even though The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki didn't grab me as much as some of his earlier work, he's still one of my favourite authors. (The short description also feels like a return to the style of the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore, two of his bests books imo.)

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Through year 5 on book club, and wanna thank op for giving me an excuse to finally check it out. Been quite a ride, and really enjoyable if sometimes depressing and overall quite melancholic read.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Recently I finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, Carrie by Stephen King, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, A Batalha do Apocalipse by Eduardo Spohr and Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. Currently I'm reading Pet Sematary by SK.

The Blade Itself was amazing. Well-devoped characters with very different voices, personalities, morals and motivations. Everyone (including minor characters) gets a chance to shine and be portrayed as human. The only thing I didn't like is that every once in a while two characters are going to say something in the same paragraph, and that really hurts the reading flow.

Mistborn was so much better than I expected. Many people on the old forum said bad things about Sanderson's writing, so I expected this to either bore or annoy me. Boy, was I wrong. I think it took me three sittings to read this one cover to cover, and I want more. Great world building, great magic system (I'm new to high fantasy, so that is sort of a new concept to me), surprisingly developed characters and some twists that I didn't see coming at all.

Carrie took me a single sitting to read and was just what I expected it to be: the first display of talent from my husbando. It was fun to read stuff that would become recurring themes in his work, such as religious fanaticism, bullying and domestic violence. It was also nice to notice some insecurities here and there, and to see how far he has come as a writer. Great stuff.

Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were very different books. At first I found Ender and company to be hard to believe as children. They seemed too adult to me, especially by the way they talk. But hey, they were very bright children, so maybe that could be forgiven. As soon as I got used to the idea, Ender's Game became a very pleasant experience with a plot twist like no other. Speaker for the Dead was very different. That book has pretty much no action. Its conflicts are personal and psychological rather than physical, and I liked the way Card built Lusitania and its inhabitants, both human and Piggies. Two things I would like to point out: This book's message on tolerance and understanding is very surprising considering Card's views on homosexuality, and it's almost comical how he puts other religions under scrutiny, but never his own.

A Batalha do Apocalipse was an endless disappointment. That book was recommended ad nauseam to me by friends and some internet celebrities I used to like (the guys at Jovem Nerd's Nerdcast). People all over Brazilian internet kept saying how this book was the best fantasy in our language and yadda yadda. Man, if that really is the best we have to offer, then I'll forget fantasy altogether and go back to Rubem Fonseca's and Patrícia Melo's amazing crime thrillers. Well, where do I start? Paper-thin characters with stupid motivations, bad writing filled with repetition ("here is the piece of information I gave you only five pages ago, in case you forgot"), bad exposition, characters explaining why their adversary's unblockable technique didn't work (Saint Seiya, anyone?), at least half a dozen moments the protagonist "would never forget in all his life", plot twists you can see coming ten light-years away, boring Mary Sue protagonist who of course has nordic features, has long hair, wears black and rides a Harley Davidson. I could go on and on. This book sounded like it was written for teenagers who like anime such as Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya, which is not a bad idea if that's one's cup of tea, but it was badly executed. There was some good stuff though: Sporh mixes Christianity with many other mythologies like Hindu, Norse and Babylonian. It also seems like he researched lots of History in order to depict different time periods. Oh, and the final plot twist was a good one.

Consider Phlebas was a tough read. I really don't have much to say about this one other than it surprised me a lot, being much darker than I expected. There's a lot of fucked-up stuff going on, some of them very disturbing and disheartening. Great book, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Culture novels.

Pet Sematary might be the first book that really moved me emotionally. I just started part two and it depressed the he oit of me, which is great. I have no idea where this is going, but I'm loving this book, which is expected considering that Stephen King has my undying love and I'll kick your ass if you talk shit about him. ;)

Sorry for the long post, everyone.

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
Figured I would post instead of just lurking like ive done for ages and ages..

Reading this atm, found it while looking for Never let me go which is buried in our books somewhere...

The-Road-Cormac-McCarthy.jpg

Im only about 80 pages in, but its decent, pretty sure ive reached the point where its about to go a lot more bleak.
I kinda like how its broken up rather than chapters.

Think im going to read Anhilation by Jeff VanderMeer next, seems interesting.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have suggestions for teen/young adult fiction? My son is twelve, and an avid reader. I'm constantly scouring for new books to feed him to keep his reading habit alive. He's mature enough to handle adult-ish themes, but I'd prefer to keep sexual content to a minimum. He's read everything by Rick Riordan, all the Harry Potter books, the 5th Wave series...

Some of his recent favourites include Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners trilogy and Gordon Korman's Masterminds series. He's reading Sanderson's Rithmatist right now and enjoying that a lot. I'm open to anything but it seems he really digs fast paced books with science fiction themes and at least somewhat humorous writing.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just starting Harry Potter, book 6 lol. Yup I'm a decade behind but it's a fun entertaining read.

Just started SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard.

I wanted a book about the rise and growth of ancient Rome and this seemed pretty approachable.

Ohh, does anyone have any other suggestions like this? Books that are fairly accurate about ancient civilizations without being drawling history texts?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have suggestions for teen/young adult fiction? My son is twelve, and an avid reader. I'm constantly scouring for new books to feed him to keep his reading habit alive. He's mature enough to handle adult-ish themes, but I'd prefer to keep sexual content to a minimum. He's read everything by Rick Riordan, all the Harry Potter books, the 5th Wave series...

Some of his recent favourites include Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners trilogy and Gordon Korman's Masterminds series. He's reading Sanderson's Rithmatist right now and enjoying that a lot. I'm open to anything but it seems he really digs fast paced books with science fiction themes and at least somewhat humorous writing.

Try Ursula K. Le Guin's The Wizard of Earthsea, Kate Elliott's Court of Fives, and Nnedi Okorafor's Akata Witch.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017

Tamora Pierce books are good, they are more female centric though. Enders Game is a good one, though he probably won't like the sequels because they slow down considerably. Also try The Hobbit, LotR is probably too boring for him but The Hobbit is fun.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Try Ursula K. Le Guin's The Wizard of Earthsea, Kate Elliott's Court of Fives, and Nnedi Okorafor's Akata Witch.

Tamora Pierce books are good, they are more female centric though. Enders Game is a good one, though he probably won't like the sequels because they slow down considerably. Also try The Hobbit, LotR is probably too boring for him but The Hobbit is fun.

Thanks to you both. These look like good choices. I read The Hobbit to him a couple of years ago when I was still reading to him every night; it was a lot of fun.

I welcome further suggestions from anyone who has them; if he likes these books he'll probably plow through them in a month or two! I wonder if a YA fiction OT would be useful to anyone besides me..?

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Mistborn was so much better than I expected. Many people on the old forum said bad things about Sanderson's writing, so I expected this to either bore or annoy me. Boy, was I wrong. I think it took me three sittings to read this one cover to cover, and I want more. Great world building, great magic system (I'm new to high fantasy, so that is sort of a new concept to me), surprisingly developed characters and some twists that I didn't see coming at all.

I think most people were just bummed that the series takes a huge turn after that first book, which is generally liked.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017

Been reading this for about a month and half now, and still only 3/4 of the way through. Monster of a book.

But one of the best-paced long books I've read. Compelling characters, though some dialogue seems outdated and I'm still a little confused about the main objective in the story.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading Tolstoi's Anna Karenina for the past month. Still 80 pages to finish.
It's certainly a masterpiece of Russian litterature and one the greatest books I had the pleasure of reading.

Last edited:

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
23507852_131023320945301_1715323742323736576_n.jpg

Finished The Suffering by Rin Chupeco which I loved. I enjoyed The Girl From The Well a lot, but this sequel surpassed it by far. Much creepier, better setting and premise. Now it is time to start Renegades by Marissa Meyer!

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished reading this;

35114668._UY2340_SS2340_.jpg

The mystery is pretty good and is what kept me going and I ended up binge reading the the remaining final chapters, however while the mystery is interesting I was a little disappointed that the character that the mystery is revolved around doesn't really play a part in hunting his missing memories which means we don't see him bounce off the detective or when any twist or major plot point happens it just end up feeling flat because the detective has no personal stake in this mission so that knowledge is wasted on him.

I am currently now reading;

51Pd6hApCfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only just read the prologue and chapter one, so can't say much about it just yet.

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood in two days, which is the quickest I've read a book in months. One of Atwood's best novels, and with a different setting (19th century Canada) but similar themes to her other work. Having read a few of her other novels, it's fascinating to see how despite the changing situations and heroines, the theme of women and their struggles in a patriarchal society remain front and center. It helps that Atwood's plotting is second to none. Would highly recommend to any fans of her other works, especially The Handmaid's Tale.

Now moving onto Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin. Have heard great things about this one, especially in comparison to the Russian master Dostoevsky.

But I might make a quick stop along the way to peruse Vergil's Eclogues as translated by David Ferry. Decisions, decisions.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I finished reading We Were Eight Years in Power this afternoon. I ended up reading ahead of the timeline on the first post. The book was definitely an eye opener for me on the different persepectives in America, as many posters have stated already. Also like others, I do feel that having the book be comprised of a series of essays did make some of the the points repetitive. Definitely a good read though.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Still reading through The Nix. Still enjoying it although I prefer the more modern chapters.

Can anyone recommend some essential sci fi anthologies /short story collections? Begun to read short stories here and there when I fancy a change of scenery from a longer novel.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I finished reading We Were Eight Years in Power this afternoon. I ended up reading ahead of the timeline on the first post. The book was definitely an eye opener for me on the different persepectives in America, as many posters have stated already. Also like others, I do feel that having the book be comprised of a series of essays did make some of the the points repetitive. Definitely a good read though.
This will probably be my next read. Glad to hear about its quality.

Nov 2, 2017
Looking for book:

It's about a woman or the last woman or person on earth. Told in first person and in a kinda quirky way. The title I think starts with "F" but I could be wrong. and the first word is like German or looks like a German word.
This will be an odd description if the title is not how I describe it.
The book is old and somewhat well known though so I hope someone here can identify it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pick up The Epic of Gilgamesh, as I was interested in seeing the historical text in connection with how this mythical character appears in games and the like. It's a short read, will have it finished over the weekend.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Still reading through The Nix. Still enjoying it although I prefer the more modern chapters.

Can anyone recommend some essential sci fi anthologies /short story collections? Begun to read short stories here and there when I fancy a change of scenery from a longer novel.

I'm sure there are more essential choices (Asimov, Clarke, Dick, etc. all have many great short stories) but I've read these recently and really enjoyed them:

Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life and Others
Liu Cixin - The Wandering Earth
Octavia Butler - Bloodchild and Other Stories

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for books that explore Norse mythology? Preferably not the history of but if it's really compelling that works too!

Thanks!

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished up a couple books yesterday/today? Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori Nakamura was a bust and
Take Us To Your Chief And Other Stories by Drew Hayden Taylor was pretty enjoyable with a couple stories that were out of this world. Going to start a couple more books, one by Clifford D. Simak
called Cosmic Engineers and the other is The Three Pleasures by Terry Watada. The Three Pleasures is about three men about to face internment in BC during WW2. I have a friend whose dad was born in one of these camps, so this book has a lot of meaning for me.

10048669.jpg

34353446.jpg

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I just finished Wizard's First Rule, the first novel by Terry Goodkind. Nearly 900 pages in length, it was one of the longest books I've read to date. Not bad, but it had it's weak points. I hate novels where we the reader have the same information as the character and they can't put two and two together when we've already figured it out pages ago
for example the enemy wizard web that Darken puts on Richard to make him appear as Darken to his friends, which he tells Richard what does, then Richard's confused as to why his friends are hostile to him when he finally finds them
. The "Mud People" seem questionably racist too (and there's hints of "white savior" to boot).
51SU2mBbW7L.jpg

I've decided to read something a little lighter, so I've tucked into Doctor Who and The Android Invasion, which is based on the plot of the serial starring Tom Baker as the Doctor.

3214-Doctor-Who-and-the-Android-Invasion-US-4-paperback-book.jpg

Maker

Nov 15, 2017
Reading thread! Whoo! Hi everyone.

Currently reading Dies the Fire. Decent post-apocalypse book so far but the time it spends to focus on wiccan and celtic culture is kinda odd.

UWOa7fl.jpg

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Final Fantasy V by Chris Kohler. I haven't read anything long form by him, just articles online, so it's a nice change of pace. I enjoy participating in the Four Job Fiesta every year, so when I found out he was writing a book about the game I had to pick it up.

BFB_KS_FFV_SHADOW_91184a75-0329-4036-aa11-6bfefb2e6c60_1024x1024.png

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished a couple books this month:

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, I've been trying to clear through most of Vonnegut's oeuvre and Mother Night may be my favorite since Cat's Cradle/Slaughterhouse 5. It isn't as funny as some of his other work, but it does have a more interesting plot thread then say... Breakfast of Champions or Bluebeard. I'd recommend to any fan of Vonnegut. It is a quick read.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, this is an old young adult mystery book that kind of has a similar setup to And Then There Were None. It has a very detail oriented approach that keeps you trying to guess what the real important little touches are. I have had this on my bookshelf for a long time and never fully read it. The book was a nice little distraction and it only has ~185 pages so it can be finished in a few sittings.

I bought Coates' book in honor of this thread and got up to the First Year before falling asleep last night. I'll try to catch up to the thread.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally gotten trough A Column of Fire by Ken Follett. Didn't like it, but stuck with it because the history side of it interested me enough to look passed the flat characters, annoyingly unsubtle writing and a story that is riddled with unplausability and coincidenses (and reads more like a step-by-step history of the 16th century than a drama with characters you care about). By the end of the book some of the characters have personally witnessed or played a part in most, if not all, of the important historic events, from being in Paris during the St. Bartholomew Massacre, to witnissing the execution of Mary Queen of Scotts to partaking in the battle against the Spanish Armada. Follett even vaguely acknowledges how improbable this is in the last paragraphs of the epilogue.

The last few chapters were the worst offenders, combining all what I disliked about this book.

They zoom in on the Gunpowder plot, and it is revealed that not only one of the main badguy characters is the one coming up with the whole idea, another one is the one actually discovering the gunpowder, while again another one is even the writer of the anonymous letter that lead to the failing of the plan in reality. These are characters that allready pulled the strings in a lot of other events, like the death of Mary Queen of Scots[/HIDE]

I really loved Pillar's of the Earth and liked World Without End, but I'm not going to read Folletts next one anymore.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, this is an old young adult mystery book that kind of has a similar setup to And Then There Were None. It has a very detail oriented approach that keeps you trying to guess what the real important little touches are. I have had this on my bookshelf for a long time and never fully read it. The book was a nice little distraction and it only has ~185 pages so it can be finished in a few sittings.

I first read this in middle school and really liked it, it was my introduction to the mystery genre. I should give it another read, maybe read it to my kids.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought about reparation seriously. Reading his piece on it made me realize this should be a serious political question. Depressing that congress won't even allow the matter to be even studied.

OP
OP
Tragicomedy

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All caught up on the weekly reading for Eight Years. We've got another full day of driving tomorrow to reach our Thanksgiving destination, then I'll sit down and lay out my thoughts.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Feels bad that I probably won't be able to catch up and read this month's book club selection.

Any rumours as to next month's?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading "The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, the Power Behind Five English Thrones". Really cool insight into the culture of knights and the Middle Ages. He was part of, among many other things, the creation of the Magna Carta.

OP
OP
Tragicomedy

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels bad that I probably won't be able to catch up and read this month's book club selection.

Any rumours as to next month's?

Give it a shot. I fell a few days behind but just caught back up. It's not a super long read, and the nature of the essays keeps it fresh and interesting.

Plenty of rumors about next month's book club selection! ;) I've had a few suggested already and I'm working to narrow it down. If you or anyone else has proposals, I'll hear them out.

Leaning towards fiction, something classic that's been overlooked by most of us.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading Head Full of Ghosts and last week I finished Joe Hills Strange Weather I really enjoyed Strange Weather a lot and Head Full of Ghosts is shaping up to be pretty freaky.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give it a shot. I fell a few days behind but just caught back up. It's not a super long read, and the nature of the essays keeps it fresh and interesting.

Plenty of rumors about next month's book club selection! ;) I've had a few suggested already and I'm working to narrow it down. If you or anyone else has proposals, I'll hear them out.

Leaning towards fiction, something classic that's been overlooked by most of us.

John Williams defo needs rep

Stoner and Augustus are all time classics in the fiction category

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Just finished reading Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Amazing book, definitely one of my favorite SK novels. Extremely dark and cruel, King didn't pull any punches with this one. I found the ending to be quite underwhelming, but it fits the novel's themes and tone perfectly, so maybe that was the point?

Now I'm gonna start Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie.