Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the perfect place for this. As good as Kingdom of Heaven is, this is the thing about the movie that I will never forget.

"Guy de Lusignan: If I had fought you when you were still capable of making bastards...

Godfrey of Ibelin: I knew your mother when she was making hers. Fortunately you're too old to be one of mine."

What a fucking sick burn, but said with such class.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I love this excerpt for some reason:

Saruman:
"What is the house of Rohan but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll on the floor with the dogs? Victory at helms deep does not belong to you, Théoden, horsemaster! You are a lesser son of greater sires."

This all I can hear

omg I just thought of one particularly ridiculous line of dialogue from thrones, as I was re-watching earlier seasons.

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The decision ensures that the movies will become timeless, some cgi shots aside. But those can be remastered ala Star Wars OT lol.

So many quotable lines. I believe the LOTR meme reddit is still very, very active today.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Huh I never thought about it before but you're right. It's an unusually ornate style of dialogue and they really sold it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I see much of a difference in ASoIaF and GoT.

Book Euron:
Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.
Show Euron:
A finger in the bum?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah I love it. It's even better in German imo, since it is very rich on vocabulary no one bothers to use any more day-to-day. As someone who loves old German, I almost get an orgasm hearing some of the dialogue in LOTR as the synchronisation is perfect. It's so good

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is really what makes LOTR movies the genuine greatest blockbuster films of all time. Like I would never say they were PERFECT by any means, but there's so much care and dedication to getting people to buy that this is a genuine world that people live in like no other. The only one that sort of matches this is the original Star Wars trilogy imo but even that had a lot of quips that appealed to our modern sensibilities spliced in there.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man i really love Ian Mckellen. The expression he gives when Frodo says he'll do it breaks my heart every time.

Man is a treasure.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wonder how much money these would make at the Box Office today if they literally released as is for the first time (with modern CGI of course, but the rest untouched).

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Wow. It was so long since I watched these movies. Seeing these clips and reading you guys' thoughts.. I really need to rewatch this. They've always been magical movies to me, but I really appreciate it all the more these days. I'll pay attention to the dialogue.

The casting in these movies was so good. Man.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dig most of the MCU, but none of those films come close to what LoTR accomplished
One man's "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You shall not pass!" ...

... is another man's "save... Martha..."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the only time that the show ever actually replicated GRRM's dialogue close to word for word was the speech that the Greatjon gave to make Robb King in the North and Tywin's speech to Tyrion about why he will never make him heir to Casterly Rock(also Bobby's dialogue 60% of the time).

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on your interpretation of what makes something "great".

One man's "my friends, you bow to no one" is another man's "Avengers... assemble."

"My search will not be in vain. Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

or

"On your left."

Basically the same thing...

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
"My search will not be in vain. Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

or

"On your left."

Basically the same thing...
I love Tolkien's writing (although I'm not sure that quote is verbatim from the books), but the idea that that sentence is better than a simple three word sentence is nonsensical. Simplicity can be a very good thing (and in the quoted case actually is, considering its context).

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I'm about to admit to some heresy, but I never really got into the LotR movies. Can someone explain Gandalf's Grey/White thing? Like when he's White he has more power, but he if he wears a grey cloak over his white one then the power is temporarily subdued? And why does the color matter?

I know Tolkien is a great writer, so it probably makes more sense, but in the movie it struck me as goofy.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm about to admit to some heresy, but I never really got into the LotR movies. Can someone explain Gandalf's Grey/White thing? Like when he's White he has more power, but he if he wears a grey cloak over his white one then the power is temporarily subdued? And why does the color matter?

I know Tolkien is a great writer, so it probably makes more sense, but in the movie it struck me as goofy.
He is just pretending to be still Gandalf the Grey since Saruman doesn't know yet and acts all weak to get close to Theoden

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They took plenty of liberties to make the characters likable.

"What about breakfast?"

"We've already had it..."

"Had one, yes. But what about second breakfast?!"

Stuff that is light, fun, etc. Stuff that is human in a way Tolkein just didn't write his characters. Difference is that they knew when to stick to the text of the books, either literally or in-spirit/tone. They knew Tolkien's use of language carried plenty of dramatic weight and poetry in the moments that mattered.

Last edited:

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017

He was hiding his power level, like Goku.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
For folks commenting on the songs in the books, they actually got a hell of a lot of them into the films, particularly in the extended editions. Often they're not overtly "performed", like Pippin's song in ROTK, but just might be a song Gandalf or Aragorn is singing to themselves, that's right out of the books.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
My sister and I still say "I care not" on a regular basis.

Part of me wonders if we'll ever get something equal to LOTR, in the sense that it perfectly merged all these different factors that had to work together. A deep reverence for the source material, a studio willing to play ball, and characters who not only took it seriously, but also seemed to really believe in the project.

I'm hoping the new Dune reaches the same heights

I haven't enjoyed any of the movies or series that have been made, so I'm hoping my mind will be blown by the upcoming project

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seriuosly lotr which has racial issues ? Its like ppl just want to ignore the bad and embrace the good if it proves their point. LOTR has huge issues. GOT does too. Its okay. Its just fiction :)