ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also what youre refering to those are flowering usage to language I for one do not like it. Its idiotic imo.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tolikens concepts fantasies have aged well his worlds and some notions have not at all.

Oct 29, 2017
counterpoint: "if another word comes pouring out of your cunt mouth i'm going to eat every fucking chicken in this room"
i love lotr so much though

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phillipa Boyens getting no love. Didn't they bring her on because she was an English teacher or something? I'm sure she had a part in this in addition to Fran Walsh.

The "good" dialogue was copied verboten from the books, no?

ASOIAF is great but it's actual dialogue-prose is not particularly special except with some idiosyncratic characters like Syrio or Jaqen. The dialog in ASOIAF is meant to invoke "things real people might say". The dialogue in LOTR is meant to invoke "things you might read in mythology".
N'uncle.
Salty, m'lord.
Spartacus and Deadwood do it.
The cadence of the dialogue in Spartacus is part of what makes it so great. The way they talk is great (is it Latin sentence structure or something?)
I will never forgive PJ for using a different take than what first appeared in the trailer
Aragon's line from the trailer versus what he says at the Council of Elrond is a fucking travesty.
seriuosly lotr which has racial issues ? Its like ppl just want to ignore the bad and embrace the good if it proves their point. LOTR has huge issues. GOT does too. Its okay. Its just fiction :)
What the hell is this post?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Tolkien is obviously a magnificent writer but a lot of the original dialogue in the LOTR films is also true to the spirit of the books. Even The Hobbit is.... mostly authentic:

You can see what they're going for, even if it's not as poetic as Tolkien's text. The books are on another level.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phillipa Boyens getting no love. Didn't they bring her on because she was an English teacher or something? I'm sure she had a part in this in addition to Fran Walsh.

N'uncle.
Salty, m'lord.

The cadence of the dialogue in Spartacus is part of what makes it so great. The way they talk is great (is it Latin sentence structure or something?)

Aragon's line from the trailer versus what he says at the Council of Elrond is a fucking travesty.

What the hell is this post?
lotr has so many issues from a social perspective. is what im pointing out. Many ppl are judging got from that perspective also.its a double standard imo.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I adore it. So clever and well done. What's that you say? Watch the extended editions again today? Sure thing man.

Only one line bothers me in the EE; when Gimli says he has his axe embedded in an orc's "nervous system". Like how do they know what that is? Is dwarven science more advanced than we know?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its possible Im conflating two issues. Imo lotr grrm jordan etc books can be wordy and adaptations are too "unreal"/"wonky" if done too faithfully to the books. And why I prefer the culling of that language in shows and thus disagree with this tread. Having said that maybe Im reading too much reditt freefolk and just getting tired of the lotr vs got backlash.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Theoden saying "I know your face" when he first sees Eowyn after coming out of Saruman's influence and then later again in ROTK when she finds him dying after killing the Witch King...

giphy.gif

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
'Ye Olde' gives the dialogue a heightened level of poetry in the language that makes it more mystic and fantastical which works very well in a setting like LOTR. I think it sounds very beautiful and is a joy to listen to, and I appreciate that the writers did such a good job at conveying Tolkien's incredible faculties for languages over to the movies. It really paid off.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Theoden saying "I know your face" when he first sees Eowyn after coming out of Saruman's influence and then later again in ROTK when she finds him dying after killing the Witch King...

giphy.gif
Return of the King just makes me cry floods from the last hour or so.

"I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!"

"For Frodo."

"I'm glad you're here with me Sam. At the end of all things."

"My friends... you bow to no one."

"And so here at last, at the shores of the sea, we come to the end of our Fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil"

"It's over Sam... but not for me"

"... I'm home."

Man I am so grateful these films exist.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
counterpoint: "if another word comes pouring out of your cunt mouth i'm going to eat every fucking chicken in this room"
i love lotr so much though

That line makes sense in Game of Thrones and the world it depicts.

LOTR would be really, really weird with dumbed down straightforward language. I wonder how the translations in other languages come off.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Well, LOTR is pretty much an epic poem written in prose by an Oxford teacher. Of course it will have great dialogue.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on your interpretation of what makes something "great".

One man's "my friends, you bow to no one" is another man's "Avengers... assemble."

Ah, yes. "Avengers....assemble!" Such beautiful wording.

I grew up with and love comic books, but this is not a case I'd be making.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday watching all the extended editions for the first time. The last time I had watched these movies was the theatrical versions as a teenager (I was 13 when Fellowship released). I don't think I appreciated the dialogue back then, but I sure do now.

I told my wife it's insane to me that these movies were made at the level they were, but I'm so glad they were and that they were such a success. I cried several times throughout, mostly in the scenes involving Sam I think. I also think the CG holds up pretty well. What Howard Shore did with the soundtrack is also incredible. I'll need to go through all the special features one day.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is one hell of a good thread, Boss.

Solid points all around and something that anyone who works or dabbles into creating fantasy fiction has to contend with, I promise.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
'Ye Olde' gives the dialogue a heightened level of poetry in the language that makes it more mystic and fantastical which works very well in a setting like LOTR. I think it sounds very beautiful and is a joy to listen to, and I appreciate that the writers did such a good job at conveying Tolkien's incredible faculties for languages over to the movies. It really paid off.

The really important thing here is that the overall quality of the writing, shooting and acting are what makes the Ye Olde speech work. If the whole package wasn't worthy, it would just feel forced or silly. The Lord of the Rings trilogy can afford Yo Olde speech because it earns the right to use it straight. Most fantasy fiction doesn't.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday watching all the extended editions for the first time. The last time I had watched these movies was the theatrical versions as a teenager (I was 13 when Fellowship released). I don't think I appreciated the dialogue back then, but I sure do now.

I told my wife it's insane to me that these movies were made at the level they were, but I'm so glad they were and that they were such a success. I cried several times throughout, mostly in the scenes involving Sam I think. I also think the CG holds up pretty well. What Howard Shore did with the soundtrack is also incredible. I'll need to go through all the special features one day.
You really should. Some great stuff in the making ofs

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Seems like the perfect place for this. As good as Kingdom of Heaven is, this is the thing about the movie that I will never forget.

"Guy de Lusignan: If I had fought you when you were still capable of making bastards...

Godfrey of Ibelin: I knew your mother when she was making hers. Fortunately you're too old to be one of mine."

What a fucking sick burn, but said with such class.
Kingdom of Heaven directors cut is in my top five favorite movies.

Hospitaller: So, how find you Jerusalem?
Balian of Ibelin: God does not speak to me. Not even on the hill where Christ died. I am outside God's grace.
Hospitaller: I have not heard that.
Balian of Ibelin: At any rate, it seems I have lost my religion.
Hospitaller: I put no stock in religion. By the word religion, I've seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the "Will of God". I've seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. And goodness - what God desires - [pointing at his head then heart] is here and here. And what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man, [smiles] or not.
Criminally underappreciated film.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I'm dubious about Amazon's LOTR TV show is the lack of dialogue the writers can directly lift from Tolkien. There isn't much there, and what there is, mostly comes from the Akallabêth, which may well represent just one season of the five planned.

Original Tolkien-esque dialogue from unproven writers has the potential to go very wrong.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah, yes. "Avengers....assemble!" Such beautiful wording.

I grew up with and love comic books, but this is not a case I'd be making.
Eloquent, poetic, masterful use of language? Hardly.

A certain line delivery at the right time that makes a film experience epic? Most certainly.

Not necessarily comparing the vernacular qualities here; just the context of what translates to making a film experience "great". For Lord of the Rings, its flowery language helps elevate its material.

For a different type of film, a silly line like "Hasta la vista, baby" or "I'll be back" becomes a cultural touchstone.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
its possible Im conflating two issues. Imo lotr grrm jordan etc books can be wordy and adaptations are too "unreal"/"wonky" if done too faithfully to the books. And why I prefer the culling of that language in shows and thus disagree with this tread. Having said that maybe Im reading too much reditt freefolk and just getting tired of the lotr vs got backlash.
Dude wtf are you saying?

Oct 29, 2017
I went off on a tangent about how ppl think flowery words work as well in tv/movies as books etc.
If written with the intent, hearing these words only enhances them. All the stylized dialogue of a play or screenplay is meant to be listened to rather than just read. It is no different from any other thing in films or the stage that are too perfect to be real, like singing, dancing, or lighting.

As long as it is written to be acted, it doesn't have to be natural at all. Which is not the same as saying that any beautiful prose in a novel can go unmodified into a play or a screenplay.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I know it's not a fantasy series but the show Deadwood probably has the best dialogue perhaps of any television show or movie I've ever seen. It's not very realistic but it's a real joy to listen to people talk, very Shakespearean.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to LotR on tape recently, and after every book (as approximate as I can make it with the films), I watch an extended edition film. It's crazy how much of the dialog is taken from the books 1:1. Absolutely the correct move as well, Tolkien was damn good with English and knew how to set a scene.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not a fantasy series but the show Deadwood probably has the best dialogue perhaps of any television show or movie I've ever seen. It's not very realistic but it's a real joy to listen to people talk, very Shakespearean.
Yep agree, it's brilliant. There's nothing wrong with using flowery language. It's a stylistic choice which can work wonderfully. Just like how not all movies go for a gritty realism visual aesthetic, the same applies to dialogue.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest challenge faced by the writers of Amazon's LOTR: Second Age TV show will be the lack of dialogue that they can use from the source material available to them.

The Akallabêth has little that they could utilise, and the remaining Secomd Age material is pretty scant.

The Hobbit is a prime example of what happens when the writers stray from Tolkien's dialogue.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of ... mission. Quest. Thing.

Hobbits are admittedly super chill. It's actually a testament to the quality of the movies that despite everyone speaking English, they clearly have different dialects. The elves and the human nobles speak very formally, but your average human or your typical hobbit will speak very casually.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Hobbits are admittedly super chill. It's actually a testament to the quality of the movies that despite everyone speaking English, they clearly have different dialects. The elves and the human nobles speak very formally, but your average human or your typical hobbit will speak very casually.
Oh, absolutely, it's a great detail. And just so I'm clear I wasn't having a dig with that quote - I'm actually rewatching the extended edition right now and just passed that point, lol. Those little moments of far more casual dialogue (especially from the hobbits) always cracked me up, and even now they don't seem as out of place as they might in some other piece of media.

Also I was kinda just hoping someone would reply back with "Well that rules you out, Pip." ;0;

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's something I appreciate now, but I remember being like 9 or 10 and watching Fellowship and just being completely lost every time someone opened their mouth.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Elrond's monologue about Arwen's future in Middle-Earth combined with the visuals was always a highlight to me
If Aragorn survives this war, you will still be parted. If Sauron is defeated, and Aragorn made king and all that you hope for comes true, you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality. Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die. And there will be no comfort for you. No comfort to ease the pain of his passing. He will come to death, an image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world. But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt. As nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell, bound to your grief, under the fading trees, until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent. Arwen... there is nothing for you here, only death.

PaltryPartialGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

SevereMediocreGreatdane-size_restricted.gif