SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The love for ornate English seems to be fading away in general. We pretty much lost hand drawn art as the film industry marches towards ruthless efficiency. I think any dialogue (or plot) that requires more than a middle school education or attention span to follow is eventually going to be gone as well. So it's nice to see a few holdouts every once in awhile.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Hot take: The movies are better than the books. They keep almost everything that was great while cutting out the shit.

For everything they did good, they did bad. And I love these movies (Fellowship is my favorite movie ever).

No Barrow-wights and Tom Bombadil -> no elvish blades - > doesn't make sense that a hobbit stabbing the Witch king would do anything. Maybe nitpicky.

The extended "frodo is dead" and Mordor piece of ROTK is great in the books. Sam as a fearsome elvish warrior, sneaking around, etc.

Frodo giving Sam the boot and believing Gollum on the climb up the mountain. Lame.

And the biggest, no Scouring of the Shire. There's a point to the end - where they come home from war only to find the fascists...ahem...I mean, Saruman... has taken over Hobbiton and turned some hobbits bad and the evil is starting all over again. And then the adventure-hardened hobbits kick his ass. There's so many strengths in the original ending and the movie would have been better for it. I get it is hard to do in pacing a big movie but it could have been done, I think.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I love Shakespeare so listening to Tolkein's updated middle-English is always a joy.

It's also why I still love Withnail & I. The playfulness in the language & its delivery never fail to make me smile.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved this line from Wormtongue to Eowyn (sorry if already posted):

"Oh, but you are alone! Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness. In bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, like a hutch to trammel some wild thing in."